• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Episode was one of the best I've ever watched on TV. Sublimely written and it completely taught Joel what his priorities should be. He's a completely different man by the end of the episode.
I’ve seen this sort of comment in multiple places around the internet, you guys must watch a lot of garbage?

In terms of the what Joel’s priorities should be, not gonna lie the interactions for me between him and Ellie have been nowhere near anything for him to ‘feel’ what bill is implying. Bill lived with Frank for multiple years where as Joel has only been with a Ellie for what? 2 days in show time? In the game their relationship feels natural and real but the show just hasn’t reached that yet.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I’ve seen this sort of comment in multiple places around the internet, either you guys must watch a lot of garbage or the virtue signalling is that obvious?
Bait GIF

TIL gay relationships in shows = virtue signaling.

SkylineRKR

I was baffled to read outlets call this the best episode ever. Nothing was built up for Bill. If this were a straight couple, no one would give a fuck.

I played the game so I at least knew who he was. But otherwise i would likely be sort of puzzled why this guy gets a complete episode only to leave car keys behind. If this was a major character for one entire season, then yes, it would've been powerful.

It was on itself good writing, but it felt sort of haphazard now.

Venuspower

But otherwise i would likely be sort of puzzled why this guy gets a complete episode only to leave car keys behind. If this was a major character for one entire season, then yes, it would've been powerful.

This was pretty much the reaction my parents had while watching ep 3.

Ar¢tos

I was baffled to read outlets call this the best episode ever. Nothing was built up for Bill. If this were a straight couple, no one would give a fuck.

I played the game so I at least knew who he was. But otherwise i would likely be sort of puzzled why this guy gets a complete episode only to leave car keys behind. If this was a major character for one entire season, then yes, it would've been powerful.

Definitely. I'm gay and I'm all for as much hot Offerman screen time as possible with as little clothing as possible, but in the scope of TLOU the episode was almost completely pointless and unnecessary. It's just modern pandering for brownie points.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really good episode but not without issues.

My biggest issue was being completely dragged out the world and episode with the stupid 'government is nazi's' bullshit.

It was just so out of place and felt super shoehorned in there just to make a nod to pop/internet culture.

The other was Bill kind of wandering round the street trying to pick off people with a rifle like an AWP in CS1.6 - he had the perfect angle and height from the rooms in the house with cover.

Anyway, aside from that the episode was really strong as a deviation. It will have its fans and detractors. I thought both actors did an amazing job for such an intimate ask. Bit disappointed we didn't see the bloater are are unlikely to now until a big set piece.

Interested in how Pittsburgh is directed now.
Yup, the bloater is being saved for the big finale of the season I think. Makes complete sense.

Do not agree on the straight couple comment at all. This was so well written that it would have hit me in the feels if it was any person in love with another person. The fact it was a gay relationship and handled so well, respectfully and genuinely sweet was the icing on the cake.

We need more of this kind of well written well thought out and incredibly delivered media.

It was a master stroke and the best episode by a long shot.

This is coming from someone who could only be turned gay by tommib tommib and he left....so now there's no chance.

Cant wait for the next episode.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Hard disagree. The episode would be a masterpiece if it was a straight couple. It could hit even harder because they could have a child and it'd have heavy implications if one of them got cancer/MRS. And the kid could even get infected etc.
It would be powerful either way.

Swift_Star

Banned
Definitely. I'm gay and I'm all for as much hot Offerman screen time as possible with as little clothing as possible, but in the scope of TLOU the episode was almost completely pointless and unnecessary. It's just modern pandering for brownie points.
Making it click for Joel, teaching him he should protect those that are important to him, making him suddenly realize he barely has anyone else besides his brother and Ellie to the point he starts feeling protective of her, even telling her to use a seatbelt, teaching her how to use one meaning all of this will have huge implications by the end of the season, when he will commit mass murder to save Ellie is pointless and uncessary?
Can't you really see THIS episode is what will trigger everything else to happen? It was the turning point for Joel FFS.

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes but this show is no longer for me. This episode could have been far more exciting. I was hoping to have the first look at a Bloater and to enjoy the snarky back and forward between Bill and Ellie. Instead, all of that has been thrown out of the window in the pursuit of some pretentious, pandering, homosexual fan-fiction. Some people might be into the whole 'gay' love story thing but I find it weirdly out of place in a show like this. Especially considering it didn't feature in the game.

XXL

I think Bill's love story and story in general was better and more effective in the game. This episode also cut out what could have been an amazing action scene, which was disappointing.

This was well done and well acted though.

MiguelItUp

Hard disagree. The episode would be a masterpiece if it was a straight couple. It could hit even harder because they could have a child and it'd have heavy implications if one of them got cancer/MRS. And the kid could even get infected etc.
It would be powerful either way.
Exactly how I felt/feel. It's the core content of the the episode that was so incredibly hard. Them being gay was a "surprise" that turned it into that story unexpectedly for the viewer. Doesn't matter what they identified as though, the weight of the story and how it played out was amazing IMO.

The amount of people that just wanted/want to see "Clicker pew pew boom boom" while completing disregarding so much of TLOU's story revolving around relationships and trust is amusing to me. Pretty wild. Especially when its clear they're just wanting to make a good and powerful show. With Season 2 getting signed on so soon, you gotta trust the process.

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes but this show is no longer for me. This episode could have been far more exciting. I was hoping to have the first look at a Bloater and to enjoy the snarky back and forward between Bill and Ellie. Instead, all of that has been thrown out of the window in the pursuit of some pretentious, pandering, homosexual fan-fiction. Some people might be into the whole 'gay' love story thing but I find it weirdly out of place in a show like this. Especially considering it didn't feature in the game.
It wasn't out of place at all IMO. There's an entire world out there going through things while Joel and Ellie are going through their experiences. With Bill even referencing Frank in the game. Here, while there were changes, we got to see what it was like. WHY he was so hurt, upset, etc. Y'all need to stop expecting it to be a 1:1 version of the game. You're just going to disappoint yourself.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It was in the game. Theres a bloater in the next episode. Lmao at dropping a show for one episode you didn't like. That is just childish.

Shakka43

Making it click for Joel, teaching him he should protect those that are important to him, making him suddenly realize he barely has anyone else besides his brother and Ellie to the point he starts feeling protective of her, even telling her to use a seatbelt, teaching her how to use one meaning all of this will have huge implications by the end of the season, when he will commit mass murder to save Ellie is pointless and uncessary?
Can't you really see THIS episode is what will trigger everything else to happen? It was the turning point for Joel FFS.
We are on the 3rd episode bro, we don't need turning points yet. What they go through with Henry and Sam later on, and then with David, those are turning points. This episode was a big load of nothing. Totally unnecessary for such an early point of the show.

Ar¢tos

Funny, the game managed to do that without one hour of Bill + Frank time. Even if necessary, no way it needed 70+ min for that!

But the IP gotta be milked for as many episodes and seasons as possible, so I expect more 1h episodes for each secondary character and other events, like making Left Behind 2 or 3 episodes.
I have no doubt that when it enters part 2 (season 4 or 5) they will find a way to have Joel appear in every episode via loooooong flashbacks because Bella Ramsey alone doesn't have enough fame to carry the show.

Swift_Star

Banned
We are on the 3rd episode bro, we don't need turning points yet. What they go through with Henry and Sam later on, and then with David, those are turning points. This episode was a big load of nothing. Totally unnecessary for such an early point of the show.
Well, the showrunners felt we needed it and the biggest part of the audience too, so that's that.
Funny, the game managed to do that without one hour of Bill + Frank time. Even if necessary, no way it needed 70+ min for that!

But the IP gotta be milked for as many episodes and seasons as possible, so I expect more 1h episodes for each secondary character and other events, like making Left Behind 2 or 3 episodes.
I have no doubt that when it enters part 2 (season 4 or 5) they will find a way to have Joel appear in every episode via loooooong flashbacks because Bella Ramsey alone doesn't have enough fame to carry the show.
Game and Show are not the same medium. It's an adaptation, not a carbon copy, that point is moot.
Left behind will be one episode only. There's an episode named after that.
Part 2 will be season 2, it's been confirmed.
You really are uninformed.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That has to be it. People watch a lot of Netflix trash nowadays. Disney+ and Marvel also produced some of the most vapid trash ever. Compared to those shows, everything is Citizen Fucking Kane.
I'm surprised you like the story in The Last of Us game. It's never been that great. 🤷‍♂️ You guys are hanging on a few small scenes from the game like they were the epitome of writing or something. Ellie and Bill didn't have that one line or two, so it's ruined. In the game it was never Citizen Kane either.

Ar¢tos

Well, the showrunners felt we needed it and the biggest part of the audience too, so that's that.

Game and Show are not the same medium. It's an adaptation, not a carbon copy, that point is moot.
Left behind will be one episode only. There's an episode named after that.
Part 2 will be season 2, it's been confirmed.
You really are uninformed.
If the game, being an inferior medium in terms of showing emotions, managed, the TV show could do it even better, as Shakka43 Shakka43 said, we still have Sam and David to come, and it was when Joel woke up alone in the garage in the game that it really kicked in, Bill had almost nothing to do with it.
And you tuly believe that, after Joel is gone at the start of season 2, they are going to let Bella carry it for half of the season alone, until Abby shows up?

MiguelItUp

I’ve seen this sort of comment in multiple places around the internet, you guys must watch a lot of garbage?

In terms of the what Joel’s priorities should be, not gonna lie the interactions for me between him and Ellie have been nowhere near anything for him to ‘feel’ what bill is implying. Bill lived with Frank for multiple years where as Joel has only been with a Ellie for what? 2 days in show time? In the game their relationship feels natural and real but the show just hasn’t reached that yet.
I mean, from what I've gathered the majority enjoyed it rather than the opposite. It's why the episode was so highly regarded and reviewed. To be fair, I hardly watch anything these days, lol.

Really? I felt opposite. 2 days is a long time to spend with someone, especially if you're backpacking. In the game it feels different because you are literally there with them as they're moving, it's a different kind of flow. It translates differently here because we're comparing a video game to live action. There are going to be lapses in time, things we won't see, etc. I don't think it's missing anything per se, it's just different, y'know?

Swift_Star

Banned
If the game, being an inferior medium in terms of showing emotions, managed, the TV show could do it even better, as Shakka43 Shakka43 said, we still have Sam and David to come, and it was when Joel woke up alone in the garage in the game that it really kicked in, Bill had almost nothing to do with it.
So? It's already been changed on the show and there's nothing you can do about it, so let it go and move on.
Also, Sam and David storyline will hit really hard on the audiences, can't see why it wouldn't.
And you tuly believe that, after Joel is gone at the start of season 2, they are going to let Bella carry it for half of the season alone, until Abby shows up?
1 - Season 2 won't be 1:1 with the game, don't expect them to make half the season about Ellie and half of it about Abby, that's not how it'll work.
2 - Bella is competent enough to hold on her own if it was going to happen though, so, again, your point is 100% moot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EXACTLY. The show is rushing and telegraphing so many of these character development moment that the game earns in a slow and methodical manner. Showing Ellie as a Sadistic person torturing a helpless zombie is bizarre because she doesnt lose her humanity until the David encounters. Having Joel have a flashback to the soldier shooting Sarah in the first fucking episode of the show will undoudedtly cheapen the moment when hes carrying ellie in the hospital just like he did Sarah.

And now, we are to assume that its great ingenious writing to have Joel get attached to Ellie because of Bill's letter? Nah. He's supposed to get there on his own. Eventually. That is literally what the infamous Ranch scene is about. He's trying to pawn her off to Tommy this whole time. Then Ellie pushes his buttons to have him finally admit he loves her like his daughter even though he lies to her says shes not his daughter. They have cheapened THE best scene in the game and made fucking Bill the key motivation for Joel to protect Ellie. Thats absolutely insane.

It is crazy to me that a video game is more subtle than a tv show. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Last edited:

Metnut

Great episode. I’m not surprised it was so well thought of by so many people who never played the games. Turned also-ran characters into a memorable episode of TV. Well done.

SlimySnake

I'm surprised you like the story in The Last of Us game. It's never been that great. 🤷‍♂️ You guys are hanging on a few small scenes from the game like they were the epitome of writing or something. Ellie and Bill didn't have that one line or two, so it's ruined. In the game it was never Citizen Kane either.
I am sorry. Are you surprised that I liked THE most celebrated video game story of ALL time? What kind of revisionist history is this?

The game straight up created youtube reaction videos for video games. It brought hundreds of female streamers to twitch and youtube. It is so good that the first two episodes didnt have to change much and borrowed almost entirely from the game. Look at the Halo show. Features nothing from the games. Same goes for all RE adaptation. TLOU was so good they just copied and pasted it until this episode. In fact, every time they DONT copy and paste from the game, it is inarguably worse than the source material.

And Ellie and Bill didnt just have a line or two together. They dont have any interaction together. I have seen a lot of these one off episodes on tv. They are filler episodes. The Fly episode of Breaking Bad by Rian Johnson is basically a filler episode but at least it features the two leads. You arent spending time with randos for 90% of the episodes. Randos who will both be dead by the end. it literally makes no sense.

Swift_Star

Banned
EXACTLY. The show is rushing and telegraphing so many of these character development moment that the game earns in a slow and methodical manner. Showing Ellie as a Sadistic person torturing a helpless zombie is bizarre because she doesnt lose her humanity until the David encounters. Having Joel have a flashback to the soldier shooting Sarah in the first fucking episode of the show will undoudedtly cheapen the moment when hes carrying ellie in the hospital just like he did Sarah.

And now, we are to assume that its great ingenious writing to have Joel get attached to Ellie because of Bill's letter? Nah. He's supposed to get there on his own. Eventually. That is literally what the infamous Ranch scene is about. He's trying to pawn her off to Tommy this whole time. They have cheapened THE best scene in the game and made fucking Bill the key motivation for Joel to protect Ellie. Thats absolutely insane.

It is crazy to me that a video game is more subtle than a tv show. It's supposed to be the other way around.
Congratulations, you finally learned what is an adaptation!

Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

So fuck the opinion of those who don't like it, right?
You're entitled to your opinion, but you're wasting your time and energy since it is what it is and nothing will change regardless of what you think.
Also, you should prepare yourself to more changes that surely are coming.
If you're all so attached to the game, why not watch the cutscenes on youtube?
What is the point of a 1:1 adaptation that doesn't surprise those that already know the story?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am sorry. Are you surprised that I liked THE most celebrated video game story of ALL time? What kind of revisionist history is this?
That's what I said. I personally have never liked the story. Seems kinda dumb to me. Tess dying in the beginning on some completely pointless battery run (I think it was guns in the game?). Basic zombie stuff that I thought was below The Walking Dead. Joel's kid dying in the beginning was the same to me as Sam Fischer or Shepard in Convinction / Mass Effect 3, and it didn't do a thing for me since these are characters no one knows. But I didn't call everyone pleebs and act like I only consume fine cinema. The way you were talking about Brokeback Mountain, you make it seem like you only watch Oscar winners or something. I find it surprising you'd even like the game if that's your stance.

I don't get the first sentence here since the game was celebrated and I disagreed. And here this episode is celebrated and you disagree. So how much its celebrated is pretty much irrelevant to anything we're talking about.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're wasting your time and energy since it is what it is and nothing will change regardless of what you think.
What is the point of a 1:1 adaptation that doesn't surprise those that already know the story?
I assume you loved the Wheel of Time show then and cried tears of absolute joy with Halo...

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would've liked to see this episode play out like in the game but what we got instead was still a masterclass in writing and it pulled on many heartstrings around the world.

When Joel had to step outside after reading Bill's letter it almost choked me up and I never react like that to shows

The next episode will be back to the action and development of Joel and Ellie's bonding

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I assume you loved the Wheel of Time show then and cried tears of absolute joy with Halo...
I have no desire to watch those shows lol.
I am mostly happy with the adaptations I watch if they remain true to the spirit of the source material. It's what TLOU is doing. The same is also true to His Dark Materials.
I don't want adaptations to be 1:1 carbon copy to the source material because it's boring.
And, actually, most of the time, 1:1 doesn't work anyways.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have no desire to watch those shows lol.
I am mostly happy with the adaptations I watch if they remain true to the spirit of the source material. It's what TLOU is doing. The same is also true to His Dark Materials.
I don't want adaptations to be 1:1 carbon copy to the source material because it's boring.
And, actually, most of the time, 1:1 doesn't work anyways.
I'm surprised anyone would want a 1:1 of TLoU after just playing the remake a few months ago.

Shakka43

Is not really wasting time, we are just discussing what we like and don't like about the adaptation. And I welcome change, just hope that said change is an improvement over the game, so far they have failed in pretty much everything IMO.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
This is all that needs to be shown as commentary to some of the responses to this episode:

52660231152_199ec136f1_b.jpg

Like, it's totally fine if you weren't feeling the episode because it didn't go the way you were hoping from a narrative POV, but 24% of people didn't give it a 1/10 because of that. They did it because they're uncomfortable in their own skin and gay people make them feel icky.

Swift_Star

Banned
Is not really wasting time, we are just discussing what we like and don't like about the adaptation. And I welcome change, just hope that said change is an improvement over the game, so far they have failed in pretty much everything IMO.
Sucks to be you, I guess?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or maybe Bill's character was the most useless in the game for Joel's motivation and character arch and now its one of the best?

We will have a Ellie backstory with the Left Behind dedicated episode. Tess and Marlene backstory would deviate even more than what was there in the game, breaking the pacing.

Bill makes sense because Joel and Ellie have to go through his town, so why not improve his backstory? While making it much more important for the overrall narrative than the one in the game.
Exactly.

Exactly this. It was a brilliant episode, but its true genius unfolded on me when Ellie read that letter.

The entire episode was one giant setup to explain Joel's motivation and fuel that we'll see in the last few episodes.

Bill in the game was someone who Joel would become if he didn't open himself to love again. And Bill in the show is a person who has accepted love and what Joel should be and could be.

In each episode, Joel has lost someone: (1) daughter, (2) girlfriend, (3) friends. Now he truly has no one but a life lesson given by a dying man who embraced death happily, satisfied, and in love.
Bingo! As I said, Joel is the 'tragic hero' in this story.

Last edited:

Represent.

Alright while I did think this episode was good, I've seen similar episodes in other Zombie apocalypse shows that didnt get anywhere near the amount of praise from critics.

Specifically "Here's not here" in The Walking Dead. The story of how Morgan chose peace. One of the all time Walking Dead episodes. Brilliant.

Episode 5 of Black Summer Season 2 - White Horse

An incredible episode of television on the most underrated zombie show of all time. Incredible acting by these 2 , and balls out action near the end.

This episode was great but critics acting like its never been done in history is a bit much, these 2 did it first, and just as good, if not better in some areas - Just didnt have the gay characters in it.

Screenshot-2023-01-31-at-10-15-06-AM.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's what I said. I personally have never liked the story. Seems kinda dumb to me. Tess dying in the beginning on some completely pointless battery run (I think it was guns in the game?). Basic zombie stuff that I thought was below The Walking Dead. Joel's kid dying in the beginning was the same to me as Sam Fischer or Shepard in Convinction / Mass Effect 3, and it didn't do a thing for me since these are characters no one knows. But I didn't call everyone pleebs and act like I only consume fine cinema. The way you were talking about Brokeback Mountain, you make it seem like you only watch Oscar winners or something. I find it surprising you'd even like the game if that's your stance.

I don't get the first sentence here since the game was celebrated and I disagreed. And here this episode is celebrated and you disagree. So how much its celebrated is pretty much irrelevant to anything we're talking about.
I dont know what to tell you. TLOU is and remains one of the best stories told in a video game. And every single time they deviate from it, the show becomes worse. You can disagree but i find it odd that you would be surprised that people love the story in this game. It's like saying you're surprised Arthur Morgan is considered the best video game protagonist. It's pretty much accepted by everyone.

And btw Tess didnt die on a gun run. She dies the same way she dies in the show. Getting bit off screen while getting the girl to the Fireflies. And if TLOU did one thing right, it was that it was anything but generic zombie stuff. Hell, one of the biggest criticisms of the game at the reveal was that it was going to be a generic zombie game where either Joel or Ellie would die at the end and they completely turned that on its head by giving us a morally ambiguous ending instead of the generic ending everyone had predicted.

Swift_Star

Banned
Alright while I did think this episode was good, I've seen similar episodes in other Zombie apocalypse shows that didnt get anywhere near the amount of praise from critics.

Specifically "Here's not here" in The Walking Dead. The story of how Morgan chose peace. One of the all time Walking Dead episodes. Brilliant.

Episode 5 of Black Summer Season 2 - White Horse

An incredible episode of television on the most underrated zombie show of all time. Incredible acting by these 2 , and balls out action near the end.

This episode was great but critics acting like its never been done in history is a bit much, these 2 did it first, and just as good, if not better in some areas - Just didnt have the gay characters in it.

Screenshot-2023-01-31-at-10-15-06-AM.png

Black Summer is rated 7.4
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14721984/?ref_=ttep_ep5
TWD's is rated 8.2
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4719620/

Sorry, bud, just not seeing it.

Represent.

I've never even heard of Black Summer.
Smh. Straight up the most underrated zombie show of all time. If you recall the masterful opening sequence of 28 Weeks Later, they basically made an entire show with that level of intensity. Its worth the watch for the cinematography and action sequences alone.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the first 10 minutes of Episode 1, Season 2 right now. You dont have to watch season 1. Its on Netflix

Last edited:
Smh. Straight up the most underrated zombie show of all time. If you recall the masterful opening sequence of 28 Weeks Later, they basically made an entire show with that level of intensity. Its worth the watch for the cinematography and action sequences alone.

Do yourself a favor and go watch the first 10 minutes of Episode 1, Season 2 right now. You dont have to watch season 1. Its on Netflix
That's quite a "sell". Black Summer is now on my radar.

Top Bottom