• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Interfectum

If you were offended by this episode you are way, way too entrenched in the social media culture wars. This episode pushed no agenda, they cast no judgement on straight people, there was no soap box, they didn't shit on JK Rowling at the dinner table. This is not Marvel Phase 4 where every single minute it's rubbed in your face how progressive they are. It was just a love story and a well done one at that.

It's crazy to think there are people so close minded that they are actually pissed off at this episode. The acting, writing and directing are about as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
The Remastered isn't too shabby to play in current times either.
I tried the part 1 trial when episode 1 came out, and then tried remastered last night.

I think I will have to wait for a price cut if I want to revisit it. Watching the comparisons on YouTube wasn’t enough and I thought Remastered was okay.

I have a different opinion now and would much rather play the remake.

yurinka

I liked the episode, as I remember in the game (I played it at launch, didn't replayed it) they hinted to be gay very clearly without explicitly mentioned it. It's nice to see they expand the story of the game showing more backstory about all characters including very secondary ones.

I wonder if they'll show more about Joel and his brother in the events that happen from the start of the outbreak until Joel meets Ellie, or in the events that go between TLOU1 and TLOU2. Something I'd like to see in TLOU3 or TLOU Online, same as showing Ellie's mother (who seems will be in the show) and explaining why she is inmune.

Jimmy_liv

If you were offended by this episode you are way, way too entrenched in the social media culture wars. This episode pushed no agenda, they cast no judgement on straight people, there was no soap box, they didn't shit on JK Rowling at the dinner table. This is not Marvel Phase 4 where every single minute it's rubbed in your face how progressive they are. It was just a love story and a well done one at that.

It's crazy to think there are people so close minded that they are actually pissed off at this episode. The acting, writing and directing are about as good as it gets.
I thought the acting was great, the episode was fine but I really preferred the Bill from the game.

Im a little disappointed tbh because I was looking forward to seeing Joel strung upside down and Ellie and Bill having their two and fro.
I was looking forward to seeing the boater come storming at them in the gym and all that was taken away.

LOL at anyone who ‘loved’ this episode 😂 clearly they never played the game. In Bill’s town you have some of the most engaging and awesome moments in the game, from their interactions between Ellie and Bill to the nailbombs, bloater, the school run with runners everywhere, they skipped all of that to give us a love story about bill and frank lol😂

I know they were gonna do some filler stuff but that was trash.

Another amazing episode. But I think what ruined the episode for me was Bill's Town.

Bill's Town in the first game is iconic, and they made it look very bland and fucking boring. The color tone and sunset was marvelous in the game. But well. Really good episode.

ZVVao7x_6277191.jpg

OsirisBlack

Banned
No what saved the episode was the entire episode being about human connection during an insane apocalypse, and flawlessly executed start to finish. As a fan of the game, the scene with Joel and Tess was cool, but hardly the main strength of the episode.

Time spent telling an interesting story about characters that play a pivotal role in both the world building and plot isn’t wasted time. Why does Bill have a perfectly functional truck and fuel and batteries in this world? Well, this episode showed why. And the fact you have a problem with it being about gay guys says more about you than the material. There was literally zero discussion about gay rights or bigotry or anything of the sort in the episode, they simply existed in the world, and their story was told, and you think that’s “propaganda.” Think about that for a minute.

This all reads like someone who got upset that Ron Swanson kissed a guy and stared at his phone the rest of the hour
I mean if you want to be literal.

information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
"he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"

Similar:
information, promotion, advertising, advertisement, publicity, advocacy, spin, newspeak, agitprop, disinformation, counter-information.

Just because you don't like what he's saying doesn't mean he's wrong. In quite a few other places in the world, this episode will not be aired as is. A lot of people don't care what anyone does in their bedroom but don't want to be force-fed that content in every commercial, movie, television show, song, videogame, magazine, or book in American media. Some people just want to be entertained without a .... message.

On task. Despite my son loving the last of us he was a bit disturbed by some of the scenes in this episode of the show. Some of the audience they have is going to find this a bit much and they may lose some people. You don't have to be a homophobe to not want to see it. (thankfully it was handled tastefully) As a writer, it was a very well-written episode despite some purposeful "look at me" subject material. I would still give it an 8/10.

Last edited:
Came here for the comments and didn't dissapoint.

I personally thought this episode was amazing. Yes a few bits were changed, and some bits taken out.... But it didn't bother me at all. And I liked Bills letter. Even though Joel and Ellie wasn't in the episode that much.... Bills letter pushed their relationship further.

I think you're focusing on the less important thing of the episode then, for whatever reason.
The whole point of this arc was for Joel to find the letter where Bill tells him their job is to protect the ones they love no matter what.
And this is planting the seeds for what Joel will do at the end of the story, his overprotective side and the fear of losing someone will step in and fuck everyone up.
I'm sure some people would have understood the meaning of the episode if Bill had a wife instead, lol.

Pretty much this. It was obvious to me that the episode was all about pushing the narrative to "protect your loved ones" for what we know will come later at the end.

Because it has two dudes in love some people really can't make the connection.

RE crying about Hogwarts Legacy like idiots and GAF crying about an episode which expanded a gay characters romance with his partner. These two sites are awfully similar in the end but for different reasons.

I've said similar before. TLOU really brings out the worse in gaf.

Remember when TLOUII released and for 2 months there was at least 10 threads a day about how bad the game was for X reason.

Thaedolus

I mean if you want to be literal.

information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
"he was charged with distributing enemy propaganda"

Similar:
information, promotion, advertising, advertisement, publicity, advocacy, spin, newspeak, agitprop, disinformation, counter-information.

Just because you don't like what he's saying doesn't mean he's wrong.
lmfao then explain how this episodes reasonably meets any of those criteria. It’s not biased or misleading, it’s not promoting anything, it’s not political in nature…it touches on zero political topics or attempts to advocate for anything. It’s a beautiful story about someone who shut himself off from society finding love and someone to live for in the apocalypse. I’d say there’s a close to zero chance you’d be making this post if it were a straight relationship vs a gay one, which I think kinda shows where the bias is here.

Shakka43

Came here for the comments and didn't dissapoint.

I personally thought this episode was amazing. Yes a few bits were changed, and some bits taken out.... But it didn't bother me at all. And I liked Bills letter. Even though Joel and Ellie wasn't in the episode that much.... Bills letter pushed their relationship further.
A few bits were changed? This episode couldn't be further away from the game's storyline. It wasn't bad but I much prefer asshole Bill from the game and his back and forth iterations with Ellie.

Episode 3 was focused on Bill and Frank wayy too much, imo.

Fine that they wanted to give some backstory, but Bill wasn't nearly important enough to dedicate an entire episode to his lovestory.

But I suppose he was a fan-favorite character and the episode was well executed, so meh.

Facism

incredible juxtaposition of 2 people managing to live a life full of love and modern comforts against the the backdrop of apocalypse. Peak Zomboid fiction is always about the human relationships and not the actual catastrophe. A good palette cleanse episode, especially in context with what is to come if you know the general beats of the story.

OsirisBlack

Banned
lmfao then explain how this episodes reasonably meets any of those criteria. It’s not biased or misleading, it’s not promoting anything, it’s not political in nature…it touches on zero political topics or attempts to advocate for anything. It’s a beautiful story about someone who shut himself off from society finding love and someone to live for in the apocalypse. I’d say there’s a close to zero chance you’d be making this post if it were a straight relationship vs a gay one, which I think kinda shows where the bias is here.
Maybe you didn't actually read my post. I liked the episode. do you know what advocate, publicize or promote means? I also didn't put the words biased or misleading in bold. Let me help you out advocate means to publicly support or recommend a particular cause. Publicize is just to makes something more widely known or to bring attention to. It is definitely political and a point of view. But again as I already said the episode was very good and toed the line very tactfully and tastefully. You're right I'd say if it was a straight relationship there would have been a zero % chance my son asked me why they keep putting this on television. Where is the bias exactly? Read what I said not what you wanted to interpret.

Jimmy_liv

Episode 3 was focused on Bill and Frank wayy too much, imo.

Fine that they wanted to give some backstory, but Bill wasn't nearly important enough to dedicate an entire episode to his lovestory.

But I suppose he was a fan-favorite character and the episode was well executed, so meh.
He was a fan favourite and for very good reasonings. Unfortunately in the TV show all of thos fan favourite elements are removed!
I quite liked the episode but as I said earlier - they removed all of the fan favourite parts!

Thaedolus

Maybe you didn't actually read my post. I liked the episode.
That’s fine, but what I took issue with was you defending the idea that it’s propaganda.

do you know what advocate, publicize or promote means? I also didn't put the words biased or misleading in bold. Let me help you out advocate means to publicly support or recommend a particular cause. Publicize is just to makes something more widely known or to bring attention to. It is definitely political and a point of view.
You keep quoting definitions and not providing any examples about how this episode did any of that. And you can’t cherry pick some aspects of a definition and pretend that makes something the same. A description of a Ferrari would include that it has 4 tires and an internal combustion engine; that doesn’t mean my truck is a Ferrari because it has 4 tires and an internal combustion engine.

You're right I'd say if it was a straight relationship there would have been a zero % chance my son asked me why they keep putting this on television. Where is the bias exactly? Read what I said not what you wanted to interpret.
I’m reading you describing where the bias is right here hah. One type of relationship is being treated differently than another.

Last edited:

Roufianos

LOL at anyone who ‘loved’ this episode 😂 clearly they never played the game. In Bill’s town you have some of the most engaging and awesome moments in the game, from their interactions between Ellie and Bill to the nailbombs, bloater, the school run with runners everywhere, they skipped all of that to give us a love story about bill and frank lol😂

I know they were gonna do some filler stuff but that was trash.

Oh damn, poor dude missed out on all the action.

I think we just found the lowest common denominator.

Majmun

You're right I'd say if it was a straight relationship there would have been a zero % chance my son asked me why they keep putting this on television.
Despite my son loving the last of us he was a bit disturbed by some of the scenes in this episode of the show.

Gee, I wonder where he got this behaviour from...

Guess he's victim of some in-house propaganda.

OsirisBlack

Banned
That’s fine, but what I took issue with was you defending the idea that it’s propaganda.

You keep quoting definitions and not providing any examples about how this episode did any of that. And you can’t cherry pick some aspects of a definition and pretend that makes something the same. A description of a Ferrari would include that it has 4 tires and an internal combustion engine; that doesn’t mean my truck is a Ferrari because it has 4 tires and an internal combustion engine.

I’m reading you describing where the bias is right here hah. One type of relationship is being treated differently than another.
Last response to you.

If I show you a Ferrari for 45 minutes on television I am promoting THAT vehicle, do I really need to spell it out for you? If I am showing you a heterosexual relationship for 45 minutes on television I am also promoting that type of relationship.

Bias: prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

A full definition is not cherry-picked. Words mean things, good sir.

My son asked why they keep showing this on every show that comes on, what's unfair about that question? How is that question treating someone differently? He want's to know why almost every new show puts that at the forefront and is pushing that message/agenda. It's a valid question.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Gee, I wonder where he got this behaviour from...

Guess he's victim of some in-house propaganda.
When people start attacking you it makes me question their motives. Discussion can be had without the bullshit. If you are offended because someone asked a question get yourself checked out. They have therapy for whatever it is you're going through.

Last edited:

Majmun

My son asked why they keep showing this on every show that comes on, what's unfair about that question? How is that question treating someone differently? He want's to know why almost every new show puts that at the forefront and is pushing that message/agenda. It's a valid question.

Well, someone should've taught him about the world and how it works. Does he know about black people?

OsirisBlack

Banned
Well, someone should've taught him about the world and how it works. Does he know about black people?
I would hope so being Cuban, African American, and Egyptian. Do you know about common sense and respect?

How exactly does the world work? I mean the whole world? explain that to me. Not some shortsighted American viewpoint please I am waiting on your worldly opinion.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He was a fan favourite and for very good reasonings. Unfortunately in the TV show all of thos fan favourite elements are removed!
I quite liked the episode but as I said earlier - they removed all of the fan favourite parts!
I heard it worded as the show taking away the experiences and development game Bill had that shaped him into a stronger person because of the loss he suffered.

Also Frank was significantly changed when it came to his experiences, desires, anger and bravery wanting to go out into the world but Bill wanted to stay put. Just look up Frank's final letter in the game to see the huge changes in character.

In the show Bill gives up when Frank goes but in the game he continued onwards, IMO they did Bill dirty compared to the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom