• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Majmun

Man the western world sucks. If you don't get why it's woke bs your actively blind. Did I want to watch a crappy Netflix romance hell no god damn, man Bill was such a badass in the games and we didn't need him and Frank's love story.

I always imagined thier relationship kinda budded surprisingly and kind of comedically very unceremoniously like just a couple of asshole tough guys until ya know they fuck each other now lol, the episode is trying to paint them as some artistic fucks ugh.

Welcome to the Cringe of Us.

Yes, I wish I lived in Afghanistan or Iran.

#freetopG

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man the western world sucks. If you don't get why it's woke bs your actively blind. Did I want to watch a crappy Netflix romance hell no god damn, man Bill was such a badass in the games and we didn't need him and Frank's love story.

I always imagined thier relationship kinda budded surprisingly and kind of comedically very unceremoniously like just a couple of asshole tough guys until ya know they fuck each other now lol, the episode is trying to paint them as some artistic fucks ugh.

Welcome to the Cringe of Us.

For the record I would hate a sappy love story between Tess and Joel as well, they are supposed to be hard badasses not this awful sap shit.

Cry Baby Crying GIF by Paul Windle

MagnesD3

I'd be actually crying if I had spent money and not watched for free. This is just salt because the 1st couple episodes were mostly faithful and a good start and it's a bummer that it is not for OG Last of Us fans, so close to quality darn :/

Last edited:

Majmun

I'd be actually crying if I had spent money and not watched for free. This is just salt because the 1st couple episodes were mostly faithful and a good start and it's a bummer that it is not for OG Last of Us fans, so close to quality darn :/

Can you even watch the series legaly from your part of the world?

I thought the episode was extremely boring and meaningless and adds nothing to the story regardless of them being gay. Them being gay just give the woke a reason to attack people who dislike this useless story.
A whole episode just to show a gay romance. What a waste. It has absolutely no story relevance and is only there to pander. Fuck off.
I think you're focusing on the less important thing of the episode then, for whatever reason.
The whole point of this arc was for Joel to find the letter where Bill tells him their job is to protect the ones they love no matter what.
And this is planting the seeds for what Joel will do at the end of the story, his overprotective side and the fear of losing someone will step in and fuck everyone up.
I'm sure some people would have understood the meaning of the episode if Bill had a wife instead, lol.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

So, 3 episodes done - it seems to me that this is just ok, it can't be put in the same sentence with the classics like The Wire, just shows how inflated scores are.

For me so far this is 6,5-7/10 at best.

Looks like we're living timeline where there is so much garbage put out just for the sake of more content that when we get something that's just little above average it's instantly treated like masterpiece.

But I can understand why someone could enjoy this more than I do, it's all subjective at the end of the day.

I think you're focusing on the less important thing of the episode then, for whatever reason.
The whole point of this arc was for Joel to find the letter where Bill tells him their job is to protect the ones they love no matter what.
And this is planting the seeds for what Joel will do at the end of the story, his overprotective side and the fear of losing someone will step in and fuck everyone up.
Aye. U might be right.

digdug2

Nowhere did I say this. But if it makes u feel better and more righteous then please go ahead and make a homophobe out of me. What I said it that it has no relevance to the story.
Did you ever think that maybe the show wasn't designed to mirror the game 1 to 1? This episode was perfectly relevant to a story about humans trying to navigate through a post-apocalyptic world where everything is trying to kill them. Maybe you aren't a homophobe, but you are missing the point.

Last edited:

hemo memo

I thought he already learned that when his daughter died. That’s why he attacked that guard. He looks at Ellie as his own daughter and now giving another chance to protect her. It shouldn’t be this useless letter what drives Joel to protect Ellie no matter what but his love of his life dying daughter that he saw in Ellie.

Venuspower

Solid Episode overall. Though, the weakest episode so far. To my taste, there was a bit too much Bill and Frank and not enough Joel and Ellie. I also found the whole time jump thing a bit unnecessary. Especially the dynamic between Ellie and Bill I found extremely entertaining in the game. So from my point of view it's a bit sad that they completely ignored that.

However, I found the fact that Joel has now received Bill's letter amusing.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

Solid Episode overall. Though, the weakest episode so far. To my taste, there was a bit too much Bill and Frank and not enough Joel and Ellie. I also found the whole time jump thing a bit unnecessary. Especially the dynamic between Ellie and Bill I found extremely entertaining in the game. So from my point of view it's a bit sad that they completely ignored that.

However, I found the fact that Joel has now received Bill's letter amusing.
In most cases, when you see 'xx years ago' in movies and tv series you can expect it's filler time. Not always, but like 90% of the time it's true.

Ulysses 31

I thought he already learned that when his daughter died. That’s why he attacked that guard. He looks at Ellie as his own daughter and now giving another chance to protect her. It shouldn’t be this useless letter what drives Joel to protect Ellie no matter what but his love of his life dying daughter that he saw in Ellie.
Which seems like a big change from the game where he just saw her as a meal ticket at that point in the story. He opens up to her way later after a long time of Ellie pushing the relationship.

Maybe it was the danger + bright flashlight triggering the PTSD and not Ellie though. Seems way too early for Joel to be thinking of Ellie as anything close to his daughter so far.

Last edited:
I don't think that was the case. I saw it more as Joel thinking "this is my chance to kill the person that killed my daughter" because in the next episode he was ready to kill Ellie at every moment, you can tell he feels unsure about the whole immune thing until Tess is bitten.

rofif

Banned
That was a great episode. I really liked that they expanded and changed Bill.
I am interested to replay the game now.

IMO it really shows that TV/Movies can be so much more story wise than games and there are few reasons for that:
-You don't play it so they can show you anything. When TLOU2 tried to show different perspectives and timelines, people hated it because they got no patience and Gamers are so stubborn they are not willing to deal with real emotions, o if something in a game goes differently than they imagined, they take offence like small children.
-A big gay episode? Imagine that in games. There would be tweets bashing the game, then boycotting, then suddenly people would be saying "BAD WRITTING".

I kinda hate gemer community sometimes lol. We got a hint of how bad gamers are again just because someone laughed at a scene out of context in forspoken on twitter. Totally ignoring who the character is, why they speak like that, no matter where in the story this is, no matter if the character got an arc and maybe is not a stupid idiot later? no matter. Let's hate the game because "mah bad writting". I hate when people do this, when twitter does that and so on. People think so intellectually highly of themselves, they are too smart to enjoy a simple story that might or might not go somewhere. Imagine how many people didn't play tlou2 at all because of that. Same with Forspoken. It's perfectly serviceable, even addicting game that nobody will play because of some tweets. Gamers suck ass and this is why every single game is the same and anything a bit different gets destroyed.

Last edited:
Did you ever think that maybe the show wasn't designed to mirror the game 1 to 1? This episode was perfectly relevant to a story about humans trying to navigate through a post-apocalyptic world where everything is trying to kill them. Maybe you aren't a homophobe, but you are missing the point.
I in fact did miss the ending as I was posting while watching. You're right. The letter was important and so in retrospect was the built-up. My apologies.

Another fantastic episode. People don't get the significance of this episode was not only to showcase the world beyond the main characters, to establish the world, but also to showcase the origin of the radio music code, and it further added weight to the loss of Tess. This was a fantastic episode. Show has been firing on all cylinders for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It also means you are attrackted to the same sex. Nothing more.
Gay guys don't like vagina. But they never complain abut it.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Bullshit. I know plenty of gay men who say "ewww that's gross" out loud with the same reaction to the woman's vagina. That does not mean they're "heterophobe." Boobs on the other hand, all men even gay men love boobs. Must be a breast feeding thing.

Last edited:

digdug2

Wait til you realise that TLOU had DLC which was primarily about a gay romance too 😉
Whoa, whoa, whoa. The way you're talking is as if The Last of Us is a story about the struggles of everyone, not just Joel and Ellie. It's impossible to fathom that there were other people, each with their own trials and tribulations, hopes, fears, doubts, etc. What a waste of time to explore those.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
RE crying about Hogwarts Legacy like idiots and GAF crying about an episode which expanded a gay characters romance with his partner. These two sites are awfully similar in the end but for different reasons.
At least we don't ban the conversation or IP's from discussion.

Healthy discussion is important. Who knows- you may even plant a seed of change or offer some perspective.

geary

So, 3 episodes done - it seems to me that this is just ok, it can't be put in the same sentence with the classics like The Wire, just shows how inflated scores are.

For me so far this is 6,5-7/10 at best.

Looks like we're living timeline where there is so much garbage put out just for the sake of more content that when we get something that's just little above average it's instantly treated like masterpiece.

But I can understand why someone could enjoy this more than I do, it's all subjective at the end of the day.
Same feeling...As a zombie apocalyptical tv show, I think TWD S1E1-3 were better than these 3 episodes.

RaduN

Same feeling...As a zombie apocalyptical tv show, I think TWD S1E1-3 were better than these 3 episodes.
Well, you have a show made after a game that copied a show.
Twd was/is genre defining up until season 7.
Sometime around then, it's when they (retard producers) decided to split the creative minds into a hundred spin offs, and it all goes to hell in every possible way: story, production values, actors, etc.

However, everything that is remotely interesting in the Tlou games, like that story driving scene of part 2 for example, is more or less inspired from Twd, that's not even up for debate.

Tlou show would do best in distancing itself as much as possible (not completely of course) from the game's story. Ep.3 proves that this is the way do form some kind of identity, and not just be a Twd clone.

rofif

Banned
My father always watched games I play and after I moved out, I keep sending him lists of games to watch on yt. So obviously he loved tlou1 and 2.
He calls me each week to discuss the last episode.

Even he. An old polish guy (polish people are intolerant assholes, look withcher)... and he goes on how amazing of an episode it was. Now that is something.
My old father is more tolerant than some asshats here lol

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I think it was cancer. He mentioned "they hadnt a cure before, why they would we have now?" If he was infected he would have snapped by the dinner
It's more likely MS, the symtoms are much closer to that. MS patients do end up in wheel chair and with limited mobility. It's not ALS, you lose speech first with ALS.

Top Bottom