• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

kyliethicc

Parks And Recreation Fist Pump GIF by PlayStation

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thoughts so far:
1. I may be rethinking my outlook on doomsday prepping

2. Brace for the expected response, even though they knew what kind of work this creator is known for

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh shit, if what I think is gonna happen, happens.... the internet is gonna be wild tonight and tomorrow

It was Joel's line, along with what Tess said last episode.

Edit: well I was wrong - kind of glad I was

Last edited:
Did not expect Episode Three to be a mini-movie about people who aren't Ellie and Joel
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Nice love story, but given how the games go, its weird to spend so much time on B&F. I wish to spend as much time as possible with Ellie and Joel because pretty soon
Abby has to wake up at Joel's face o'clock for an early tee time

Last edited:

Chiggs

For me, this is the first lackluster episode.
  • Tries very hard to be the gay, apocalyptic version of Disney's Up.
    • Has a few very nice moments between Bill and Frank, but is overly self indulgent and wastes a very long episode on characters that are on the periphery.
  • Why does Frank need to die again?
    • He seems mentally well and quite capable of keeping Bill company...is it because he can no longer paint and needs a sippy straw? :messenger_loudly_crying:
      • Or is it because things must be made so bittersweet to artificially ratchet up the feels?
  • Again, this was 1 hour and 20 minutes.
    • What was achieved? A touching vignette? Huh...okay.
Rating: C

Last edited:

tmlDan

What was franks illness? Scared to speculate lol
    • Has a few very nice moments between Bill and Frank, but is overly self indulgent and wastes a very long episode on characters that are on the periphery.
    • He seems mentally well and quite capable of keeping Bill company...is it because he can no longer paint and needs a sippy straw? :messenger_loudly_crying:
      • Or is it because things must be made so bittersweet to artificially ratchet up the feels?

he likely had ALS, as you can see he lost movement in his legs and they were turned. Or it could also muscular dystrophy.

Chiggs Chiggs Not sure what you mean by trying hard to be gay, they are just gay - it was in the game and it is here, be better.

Last edited:

Chiggs

It's a very serious condition that allows you to be a good partner to your significant other, keep your mental wits about you, and generally enjoy life, but keeps you from painting and mandates the use of a sippy straw...which, of course, means that overdosing on pills is the only acceptable option.

The condition is known only to affect ruggedly handsome gay men on episodes of The Last of Us.

Chiggs Chiggs Not sure what you mean by trying hard to be gay, they are just gay - it was in the game and it is here, be better.

Huh? I said it was trying to be the gay, apocalyptic version of Disney's Up. Maybe stop trying to look for fights where they're aren't any.

Last edited:

I didn't love the episode either, but think your take on it is kind of poor.

Frank clearly had cancer and wasn't doing well.

I saw that this was going to be an issue way back when they changed the Robert storyline and made this about Joel trying to go west to find Tommy.

What really bothered me about this episode is that they skipped by Joel and maybe Tess helping Bill and Frank, which could have been a nice action set piece to replace the action set piece of getting the battery in the school. Obviously, they want to reveal the bloater at a later time.

The show so far has really skipped action set pieces AND it's skipped a significant amount of time with Joel and Ellie solo. We're a third of the way in and they've barely had scenes alone together that actually build their relationship. That's a choice and it's a poor one.

They're rushing the story and also dragging it out at the same time... hard to do, but they're doing it.

I didn't mind them building a back story for Bill and Frank and thought they did a mostly good job there, but the change doesn't really help the story here.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Absolutely Beautiful episode. Miles better than what we've got in the first game.

As soon as i saw Frank kissing Bill i knew the internet reactions would be fun to read. And oh boy, good to see i wasnt wrong.

Last edited:
I think they're trying to really relay to the casual audience that this isn't just a zombie show and that it's a serious prestige series.

I just don't think they're earning it well.

tmlDan

I didn't love the episode either, but think your take on it is kind of poor.

Frank clearly had cancer and wasn't doing well.

I saw that this was going to be an issue way back when they changed the Robert storyline and made this about Joel trying to go west to find Tommy.

What really bothered me about this episode is that they skipped by Joel and maybe Tess helping Bill and Frank, which could have been a nice action set piece to replace the action set piece of getting the battery in the school. Obviously, they want to reveal the bloater at a later time.

The show so far has really skipped action set pieces AND it's skipped a significant amount of time with Joel and Ellie solo. We're a third of the way in and they've barely had scenes alone together that actually build their relationship. That's a choice and it's a poor one.

They're rushing the story and also dragging it out at the same time... hard to do, but they're doing it.

I didn't mind them building a back story for Bill and Frank and thought they did a mostly good job there, but the change doesn't really help the story here.
I can definitely see this sentiment, I just can't say whether its the wrong or right choice yet until we see the rest.

Right now we have nothing of Joel and Ellie except a few short chats

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's a strange world when one of the best episodes of television in years wraps with PlayStation and Naughty Dog logos. Looking forward to episode 4.

Chiggs

What does that even mean, it was nothing like UP. Maybe make sense first.

The opening scenes of Up show how the old man got to be where he was, the death of his son, the death of his wife, etc. It was done in jumps, and was an incredibly effective part of that movie. But whereas Up handles it economically, this just drags on and on for the length of the already plus-sized episode.

Like I mentioned in my first post, there were some really nice moments (mostly from Offerman), but for me it didn't do much to push the story forward. It could have used some editing. And it's not like this was some sort of standalone piece, like San Juniper from Black Mirror...which was significantly better.

Last edited:

tmlDan

The opening scenes of Up show how the old man got to be where he was, the death of his son, the death of his wife, etc. It was done in jumps, and was an incredibly effective part of that movie. But whereas Up handles it economically, this just drags on and on for the length of the already plus-sized episode.

Like I mentioned in my first post, there were some really nice moments (mostly from Offerman), but for me it didn't do much to push the story forward. It could have used some editing. And it's not like this was some sort of standalone piece, like San Juniper from Black Mirror...which was significantly better.
Ohhhh i understand, I never thought of it that way but most people say the best part of up is the beginning.

Either way, not like anything is universally loved.

Absolutely Beautiful episode. Probably better than what we've got in the first game.

As soon as i saw Frank kissing Bill i knew the internet reactions would be fun to read. And oh boy, good to see i wasnt wrong.
Anyone surprised is an idiot, we've known they were gay for 10 years.

Draugoth

Gold Member
He was infected

edit: at least, nvm, the wheelchair. But i am pretty certain I heard him say something about being infected in this episode

I think it was cancer. He mentioned "they hadnt a cure before, why they would we have now?" If he was infected he would have snapped by the dinner

Last edited:

Belthazar

Definitely one of the best episodes on tv in years... It didn't really move the main plot forward but it was an amazing vignette. Very well executed.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Definitely not infected, infected turn within eight hours or so. This was a longer-term illness.

It was more than likely MS, given that Frank had difficulty with motor function, and mentioned MRI's and that there was no cure prior to the pandemic. You can see the deterioration in Frank's paintings, particularly the last one he was working on, which they made a point of lingering on.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Huh. Offerman performance was great, but this is the weakest episode for me so far. It's weird that they spent the entire episode introducing Bill and have him die in that same episode with minimal interaction between Joel and Tess. Surely they will have more flashbacks to dig deeper into their relationship but still I feel the ordering is just all wrong here. Anyways, looking forward to the next episode.

As Chiggs Chiggs mentioned San Junipero was a much much better episode of TV.

I thought it started off strong, but I think someone made the choice at the end which removed the idea of having Ellie interact directly with Bill because they couldn't do both, but what this episode needed was more Joel and Ellie and to that point Joel, Ellie, and Bill.

It's around this time that people really start to like Ellie because she is hilarious. Her interactions with Bill are top notch. But so far in the show Ellie has already been "handcuffed" and she has already kicked a tray at her captors. You can't play these beats twice.

I'm glad the show is doing well, but I'm not a fan of most of the changes.

It was more than likely MS, given that Frank had difficulty with motor function, and mentioned MRI's and that there was no cure prior to the pandemic.
I mentioned MS in my previous post, that’s what it seemed like to me. But I’m no expert on the illness. I do know that it does disrupt motor function, and that there is no cure for it.

Huh. Offerman performance was great, but this is the weakest episode for me so far. It's weird that they spent the entire episode introducing Bill and have him die in that same episode with minimal interaction between Joel and Tess. Surely they will have more flashbacks to dig deeper into their relationship but still I feel the ordering is just all wrong here. Anyways, looking forward to the next episode.

I don't think there is any value with any additional flashbacks of Bill or Tess here.

Woggleman

I am calling it right now.

Henry and Sam are going to live. They got a lot of flack for killing off black characters in the game so they will deviate from that. Maybe they will make it to Jackson with Joel and Ellie and decide to stay behind.

Last edited:

Chiggs

As Chiggs Chiggs mentioned San Junipero was a much much better episode of TV.

I thought it started off strong, but I think someone made the choice at the end which removed the idea of having Ellie interact directly with Bill because they couldn't do both, but what this episode needed was more Joel and Ellie and to that point Joel, Ellie, and Bill.

This right here. I think it's a significant missed opportunity, even if people are happy with what they got.

Again, some nice moments...but did it need to be as long as it was? I know we're dealing with long form narratives here, but if some of the later episodes feel "cheap" or "light," well....

WoJ

This episode bored me to tears. At first it was neat seeing more about Bill's past but it was too much. Especially considering they cut everything Bill does with you in the game. Which is fine. It's tv. But to dedicate a whole episode like that to basically get to Joel and Ellie getting a car and have zero actual interaction with Bill....just boring and feels like somewhat of a wasted epsiode.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any value with any additional flashbacks of Bill or Tess here.
Then ultimately there is no value in this episode spending so much time on two characters that mean nothing. Had this been season two, episode three, it may have been different. But this is the third episode of a brand new show, it was a great episode, but it seems pointless to spend so much time on two characters that don’t matter long term.

Top Bottom