• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Fools idol

Banned
one of the critics on twitter said the episodes build up the story of Frank and Bill's relationship and how Frank eventually lead to hanging himself (you find him in the game IIRC with only a few scattered bits of information leading up to it via notes in the map

Neil being coy on a potential Part 3. Not making any promises but not shooting down the idea either. Personally I hope it's in development as that will allow the show to end in tandem with the final game.

If it's not in development but comes ten years down the line the show would be over and you might have a hard time bringing it back for a final season or two to catch it up to the ending of the game series.

Also despite being someone who absolutely loves Part 2 I don't believe it's the best ending point to Ellie's story. And for that reason Part 3 is a must!

Last edited:
That’s not how it works. The showrunner already said he’s not a fan of filler.
HBO won’t be able to get more than 3 seasons at best imo. That would mean this show lasts until 2027. Probably around the time tlou3 reieases. Sounds pretty damn good in my opinion.

TLOUP2 could have been two games.

If Naughty Dog builds out TLOUP3 and P4 with a similar length as P1 they could certainly have them both out in the next few years

M1987

Just watched the first two episodes,and I thought they was really good.The only complaint I have is the fucking camera shake

And I don't get all this hate over Ellie,she plays the part really well

Last edited:
Big brain talk. The “current person” being a 19 year old who is already 5 years older than Ellie isn’t going to look 5 years older than Ellie in 2 years.

No Hollywood makeup could bridge that gap.
An actress not looking old enough is a rather peculiar problem. I'd agree that she has very girly looks and probably won't look "normal" grown up feminine ever. Perfect for her career probably but yeah, playing anyone older with her natural looks will be a tough sell to the audience.

But makeup can do a shit ton.
Colin Farrell in Batman is unrecognisable. Would anyone realise it's him without knowing before? Maybe from very subtle mannerisms, I don't know, but just from looking on some photos or the entirety of his scenes?
And tons of youtube make up transformation videos show what is possible, done by average people, without pros handling camera and lighting or some post processing. From ugly/average to fake as f but god damn, or to actually looking like some celebrity. Probably looking very weird up close and personal, but make up plus other helpers can do all sorts of believable fakery.

Edit: eg swapping the female lead in House of the Dragon was imho entirely unnecessary. Would have much rather seen the initial actress in some old make up or something. Anytime anyone get's replaced is weird. Dario in GoT eg. Works mostly when actual kid turns proper grown up (Matt Damon old dude in Saving Ryan), but if it is supposed to be 5 or 10 years finding that perfect similar actor is nigh impossible. So you anyway would need to make make up adjustments, which the new actor certainly doesn't want- playing then a sort of a grorified body double.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This woman is new to the series.
Starting at 14:00. This woman is spot on with her description of Joel and the people around him.

She even brings up the point about "save who you can save" she thinks that statement will play a critical part and she's right.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Here's another one.

You can tell they do a lot of research when writing dialog and creating scenes.

Hopefully it's internally also renewed for Season 3 because Neil and Craig said they need two seasons for the second game

Last edited:

Pelta88

That moment when you realize Tess and Joel were in a relationship.

gasp-shocked.gif

I've seen fan theories on this for literally a decade :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That moment when you realize Tess and Joel were in a relationship.

gasp-shocked.gif

I've seen fan theories on this for literally a decade :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I forgot most of what happened in Part 1, might get it but doubt it.

Speaking of the series so far it's pretty solid, nothing much going within 2 episodes but it's just establishing what's ahead. The Walking Dead should be worried as they dragged the fuck out of their series.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Any reason why the clicker was so slow moving towards Tess and then leaning in for that wannabe kiss? Unless I'm missing something, that's not the clicker's nature. That stood out for me like a sore thumb but episode 2 was fantastic overall. I like the context of the gov. officials at the start, fits in to the game universe and is very believable.

Dorohedoro

Any reason why the clicker was so slow moving towards Tess and then leaning in for that wannabe kiss? Unless I'm missing something, that's not the clicker's nature. That stood out for me like a sore thumb but episode 2 was fantastic overall. I like the context of the gov. officials at the start, fits in to the game universe and is very believable.
It wasn't a clicker. Looked more like a stalker.

Ulysses 31

Thanks for the heads up, I still don't remember them having a slower nature in the first game.
Think someone linked an article/tweet saying that they're violent because of the resistance of their prey but if they don't you get what was show in the TV show.

Still a bit weird of a change to add IMO.

Maybe it was some veiled condemnation saying people who do things without consent are monsters or something. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Boneless

I am pretty sure this was not filmed in the classic 24p (24fps), the framerate feels higher, can't find anything on it though. Anybody has any idea?

kyliethicc

"We wanted a chance to show a different result of being infected, which was not one of mere violence or horror, but rather a sick kind of community. We had set it up already that they're all connected. Ellie says they're connected and Tess says more than you know. And now at the end we had an opportunity to show how connected they were. They can sense that she's one of them."

"... I love the way we did that because its underscoring again the theme of love and the way love functions. Because the fungus loves too. It makes more of itself. Thats what we do when we love each other. A lot of us make more of ourselves. That's how the species is propagated. ... And there's this sense that ya know what [the infected] are may look disgusting and the way [the infected] reproduce may be horrifying and vioalting, but is is tender. When this man comes to her its not violent because she's not fighting. If she ran, if she fought back, they would take her apart, but she's just standing there and he very gently shares of himself and it is... its very Jungian, its very upsetting. Anything penetrative is disgusting and scary when you're dealing with monsters... I don't know there's something so creepy and gross and primal about it and yet also weirdly ... beautiful. So there's a lot of stuff going on in that shot and that's why we wanted to do it. Thats so much more interesting than like, FEDRA showed up and shot her."

- Craig Mazin

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
"We wanted a chance to show a different result of being infected, which was not one of mere violence or horror, but rather a sick kind of community. We had set it up already that they're all connected. Ellie says they're connected and Tess says more than you know. And now at the end we had an opportunity to show how connected they were. They can sense that she's one of them."

"... I love the way we did that because its underscoring again the theme of love and the way love functions. Because the fungus loves too. It makes more of itself. Thats what we do when we love each other. A lot of us make more of ourselves. That's how the species is propagated. ... And there's this sense that ya know what [the infected] are may look disgusting and the way [the infected] reproduce may be horrifying and vioalting, but is is tender. When this man comes to her its not violent because she's not fighting. If she ran, if she fought back, they would take her apart, but she's just standing there and he very gently shares of himself and it is... its very Jungian, its very upsetting. Anything penetrative is disgusting and scary when you're dealing with monsters... I don't know there's something so creepy and gross and primal about it and yet also weirdly ... beautiful. So there's a lot of stuff going on in that shot and that's why we wanted to do it. Thats so much more interesting than like, FEDRA showed up and shot her."

- Craig Maizin
Thanks for that, at least they gave it some thought and have rationalised it.

Have to say I disagree personally with the thought behind it, as it's much scarier when they are 28 days later-esque. Much scarier if they 'reproduce' in a forced/violent way IMO.

ecentre

Last edited:

RaduN

Weak episode, the 2nd one.

Okey-ish, but very bland and uninspired in terms of camera work and scene composition. They seem to be trying to check some boxes, just for the sake of it. Reminded me more of the game than the 1st, but everything looks too much like it's shot in a studio with some fake scenery overlayed.
Tess scene also ended up being cheesy and just not what they were going for (emotional ..maybe?)

Hopefuly it's just a case of the classic 2nd episode syndrome.

Venuspower

But after watching some pictures on stalkers, it is definitely a stalker!

I would argue that this particular infected was in the status of developing into stalker. So he was not a real/fully developed stalker yet. What could also be explicitly determined by the behavior. Stalkers hide and quickly flee again. Possibly this infected person also belongs to another kind of evolutionary stage.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

- Craig Maizin
This guys knows his shit, it was fucking great and unexpected and adds a whole new angle to the typical "zombie" monsters and really sets them apart, definitely a match made in heaven that one

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Weak episode, the 2nd one.

Okey-ish, but very bland and uninspired in terms of camera work and scene composition. They seem to be trying to check some boxes, just for the sake of it. Reminded me more of the game than the 1st, but everything looks too much like it's shot in a studio with some fake scenery overlayed.
Tess scene also ended up being cheesy and just not what they were going for (emotional ..maybe?)

Hopefuly it's just a case of the classic 2nd episode syndrome.
Bloody hell M8 you musta watched a different episode to pretty much the rest of the world lol the 2nd part was pure brilliance, the scenes/settings are all top quality imo and waaaay beyond Marvel green screen shite, Christ I just zoned out of the last Thor movie because of how bad the green screen looked whereas this actually looked great

Just watched the first two episodes,and I thought they was really good.The only complaint I have is the fucking camera shake

And I don't get all this hate over Ellie,she plays the part really well
I agree, she doesn't look like Ellen Paige but damn, her performance as Ellie is outstanding!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Really enjoyed EP1, but EP2... not nearly as much. My wife, who can't even make it through PG-rated scary movies, didn't find it scary at all. Tension just wasn't there during stalker section.

The voice actress for Tess just died aged 45.....

What sad news. Suppose that means any chance of DLC or ever seeing the events of Joel Tommy and Tess is out the window for good.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Really enjoyed EP1, but EP2... not nearly as much. My wife, who can't even make it through PG-rated scary movies, didn't find it scary at all. Tension just wasn't there during stalker section.

I mean, when you break HBO's record for increase viewership between episodes 1-2 by 22%, I'd say the tension, which we're literally seeing in real time spread by word of mouth...

Is perfection.

I'd say that your wife and you are clearly outliers in terms of you're perception.

Vick

The voice actress for Tess just died aged 45.....

What sad news. Suppose that means any chance of DLC or ever seeing the events of Joel Tommy and Tess is out the window for good.
Fuck no! She was awesome!

So much potential for the character and future for the series as well.. this news sucks all around. :messenger_pensive:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Getting a rewatch of episode 2 in. Props to the production team that had to do all of the physical set design. They didn't cut corners or slack anywhere. Hopefully it keeps up, and isn't like other shows where they clearly had the budget front loaded for the first several episodes.

Top Bottom