• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F (PS3) coming to NA/EU in Aug (Retail/Digital, Demo Tues)

Wonko_C

It's cool to hear that non-Vocaloid fans are getting into the game. I started like that too, only knew about Miku and stuff after playing the games.

Earlier today I checked the PS Store and the demo is ranked a full 5 stars with more than 1400 entries, none of the other recent demos have been ranked a perfect 5 stars. Awesome.

It's cool to hear that non-Vocaloid fans are getting into the game. I started like that too, only knew about Miku and stuff after playing the games.

Earlier today I checked the PS Store and the demo is ranked a full 5 stars with more than 1400 entries, none of the other recent demos have been ranked a perfect 5 stars. Awesome.

It's honestly one of the most enjoyable demos that I've played, so glad to see non-vocaloid fans getting into it. I was never really a huge Miku fan myself, but I did go to a live vocaloid concert at Anime Expo back in 2010(?).

Very fun and can't wait for it to be released in August!

GeekyDad

Tried the demo with my son (who also has one of the PSP games) yesterday, and I kind of enjoyed it. It's beautiful, love the music, but something about the inputs and lack of feedback just wasn't doing it for me. I also suck at it. My son was doing great. Funny thing is, I was a professional musician for years (music performance degree and everything), and I do well at games like EBA, Ouendan and Guitar Hero. But I was flubbing all over the place with this game. Gorgeous visuals, though. Love the presentation.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Time will tell, but I just don't buy it. If by "ton" you mean a thousand people, then yeah I agree. But that is still tiny. The western Miku fanbase will remain niche until she can sing English, and the fanbase that will buy this game is even tinier.

Basically I do not believe there is an army of high school kids champing at the bit to spend money on a game like this. Maybe it will be worth Sega's while, and if it means we get a sequel to Diva f later this year I'm all for it. I'd just prefer to see a new Miku game announced than a localization of last year's model.

Lots of people are into Miku, I was wearing a Miku tee while shopping at Trader Joe's a bit earlier in the day, and the cashier (a guy probably in his 20's) was talking about how he just d/led the demo and loved it. When at Otakon last year, the line in front of the PS2 Project Diva game was huge, people of all ages. If SEGA gets the word out, this will be a really nice seller for them.

Even people not really into anime, I showed them the game and they were hooked when they got a chance to play.

Wonko_C

Did the JP version display in English? If you have your system defaulted to it they would do so. (Happens with my copy of Arcana Heart 3.)

My Vita was in English, and I played the game on my US account, throphies where in Japanese regardless. Same thing with PS3
(They are shared)

I'm really surprised at the amount of Miku fans that are apparently on my friends list. Everyday I get a message from someone after they see me playing the demo about how they love Miku. I know she has a decent sized fan base, but I would never have guessed some of the people who sent me a message would be Miku fans. As a newcomer to all of this, it's really fun to see.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well went to go pick up Animal Crossing and got this taken care of~
0A3gH1Cl.jpg

Katyusha

I still haven't gotten a chance to check out the demo yet. I'm not much of a vocaloid fan either, but the game looks fun enough.

I would've preferred the Vita version, but oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Tizoc

Demo was good IMO nd man is my timing and concentration off even in Easy haha.
I will say this though, gaddamn are some of the voices annoying due to their 'cutesy/kawaii'-ness, they'll like freaking chipmunks man!

The 3rd video was all kinds of what, while I like Tengaku the most, the dramatic scenes were kinda funny.

This demo is gonna be my go to thing if I ever make a bet with my brothers and they lose; I'LL FORCE THEM TO PLAY ALL 3 SONGS!

Tizoc

There's a reason for that haha. How familiar are you with vocaloid?

Not very much outside of the fact that I know they're VERY popular in Japan. I knew of Miku and Super Soniko but what the series was about EXACTLY; I only had the faintest idea about.

I tried the demo, music is catchy and the visuals rock, but wow, it's a bit hard to understand how to play this at times, given it doesn't include a tutorial stage or such.

By that I mean a lot seems to be going on at once, such as all the rotating dodads, the sudden stars, etc.

Not very much outside of the fact that I know they're VERY popular in Japan. I knew of Miku and Super Soniko but what the series was about EXACTLY; I only had the faintest idea about.

Ah, ya vocaloid is a synthesizer-based software that lets users create music that they can share around the world using previously recorded voices from actual voice actors/actresses. Hence why it sounds like chipmunks. It's all digitized.

Wonko_C

Ah, ya vocaloid is a synthesizer-based software that lets users create music that they can share around the world using previously recorded voices from actual voice actors/actresses. Hence why it sounds like chipmunks. It's all digitized.

That doesn't mean it HAS to sound like chipmunks. Remember Kaito, Gakupo (sp?), or Luka, they have deeper voices.

Also Check KVLR, it has Hatsune Miku reaching pitch levels so low it's ridiculous
ly awesome

cjkeats

I've fallen into a Vocaloid hole since I tried this game. The concert in LA and the one earlier this year in Kansai are fantastic. I must've watched them at least 6 times each.

I've fallen into a Vocaloid hole since I tried this game. The concert in LA and the one earlier this year in Kansai are fantastic. I must've watched them at least 6 times each.

Ya, I watched it live back at AX in 2010(?). Although watching it on video and watching it live are two different things. I honestly wasn't that impressed when I watched it at the Nokia Theater as Miku would constantly walk in and out of my field of vision since she was projected in the middle of the stage.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ya, I watched it live back at AX in 2010(?). Although watching it on video and watching it live are two different things. I honestly wasn't that impressed when I watched it at the Nokia Theater as Miku would constantly walk in and out of my field of vision since she was projected in the middle of the stage.

I actually got a seat where it didn't do that too much so I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Durante

I tried the demo and I suck at it, a lot. I was actually rather competent in DJ max portable, and completed Osu on very hard, so I think I should be able to be at least decent. Tell me what I am doing wrong, Miku-gaf!

Game has nice IQ btw, 4xMSAA probably.

Wonko_C

I tried the demo and I suck at it, a lot. I was actually rather competent in DJ max portable, and completed Osu on very hard, so I think I should be able to be at least decent. Tell me what I am doing wrong, Miku-gaf!

It's native 1080p.

As for how to get better, I don't know. I started just as bad, LOL. Just keep at it.

demo is lovely but I feel like its broken in principle.

all music games should be locked at 60fps and this clearly isn't.

Miku and friends are all adorable and dance happily with colors and shit everywhere which really kills your focus on the notes flying around everywhere.

The game also seems terrible for gamepad. I'm getting handcramps after like 2 rounds on normal.

Maybe I need a different grip style or something.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

You probably haven't calibrated for lag, the game has a strict timing window and there is no tutorial for calibration, so have fun calibrating! Make sure you go negative though.

Danj

I don't know that I count as Miku-gaf but I found that my scores improved once I fiddled around with the calibration setting. There's no automated setting or wizard or anything so you just have to experiment till you find a value that feels like you're hitting the notes when you meant to hit them.

Durante

Does the full game have some calibration wizard, or at least assistance screen? Guessing and testing is a bit silly, especially with loading times in between.

The 30fps is bad compared to the 60fps Dreamy Theater releases, but it's a lot better than the mainline entries on PSP had been. Clearly there isn't much to be done about it at this point, and it doesn't make the game unplayable, though I certainly play it less than I did Dreamy Theater because of it. The tradeoff was that Dreamy Theater ran at 720p with no AA whatsoever, and there would almost certainly be an IQ hit to achieve that framerate here. That's a trade I'd willingly make, but I don't speak for the entire fanbase.

On lag calibration, the first thing I always recommend is running analog audio out via the AV Multi-out port if you're not already. Just trusting yourself to HDMI audio is risky since many TVs and receivers actually lag the audio to match the lag being introduced to the video, making the game pretty much impossible to calibrate. Once you have an fully analog audio chain going, it's just trial and error finding what negative timing number works. If analog audio isn't an option and you're reasonably sure your audio is being lagged as well as your video, you have little choice but to go positive with the calibration, though the results aren't going to be pretty no matter what at that point.

If it helps, the calibration setting can be changed from the pause menu in-game.

The 30fps is bad compared to the 60fps Dreamy Theater releases, but it's a lot better than the mainline entries on PSP had been. Clearly there isn't much to be done about it at this point, and it doesn't make the game unplayable, though I certainly play it less than I did Dreamy Theater because of it. The tradeoff was that Dreamy Theater ran at 720p with no AA whatsoever, and there would almost certainly be an IQ hit to achieve that framerate here. That's a trade I'd willingly make, but I don't speak for the entire fanbase.

On lag calibration, the first thing I always recommend is running analog audio out via the AV Multi-out port if you're not already. Just trusting yourself to HDMI audio is risky since many TVs and receivers actually lag the audio to match the lag being introduced to the video, making the game pretty much impossible to calibrate. Once you have an fully analog audio chain going, it's just trial and error finding what negative timing number works. If analog audio isn't an option and you're reasonably sure your audio is being lagged as well as your video, you have little choice but to go positive with the calibration, though the results aren't going to be pretty no matter what at that point.

If it helps, the calibration setting can be changed from the pause menu in-game.

that is really the weirdest way of thinking. It's like saying lets make the visual quality of our cutscenes better at the sacrifice of gameplay.

SEGA >.<

cjkeats

Still no pre-orders in Canada it seems. I swear if we get shafted on this like Black Rock Shooter and I have to import from the states.

This wouldn't be the first time a release said "North America" but seemed to forget us.

I actually got a seat where it didn't do that too much so I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Luckyyyyyyy, granted I was staffing for SPJA during that time and all the staffers were sitting to the left of the stage somewhat in the middle/back so I didn't have much of a choice. I'm sure that it made a huge difference as I just couldn't get into the concert as much as I would have liked.

frequency

Still no pre-orders in Canada it seems. I swear if we get shafted on this like Black Rock Shooter and I have to import from the states.

This wouldn't be the first time a release said "North America" but seemed to forget us.

This is a Canadian retailer. I don't know if this means it will be available elsewhere or if they are doing some special order thing like they did with Class of Heroes 2.
https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=21160

Played the demo for a bit. Failed all the songs on easy except for World's End Dance Hall since that was from the Vita. Is it me or is it faster?

Top Bottom