• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GTplanet] Prices for cars again raised in Gran Turismo 7

Filben

If people could get every car they wanted in two months they would then be complaining about the lack of content.
This is true.

Life Service Games educated players to never expect a finished game or God forbid a game you can beat as someone who can't play five hours a day because it's not the 90s and we're not in school any more.

Games count as """dead""" the moment no patches are going to released anymore because... it's finished? Yes, that's the mentality nowadays.

The then you have companies who poisoned games with MTX and realised the longer a game is the more likely people spending money on it. So you increase the padding step by step, introduce dailies and weeklies and log in bonuses, sell it gamers as """content""", talk down criticism with "it's optional", educate them to accept these practices as normal so every other dev and publisher can pull this off, intensify said education, maximize profits and water down real content.

Also, doesn't matter if some prices are lower because the issue of Life Service implications still exist. Some people are as easily tricked as people are "outraged" if that's what it is if your criticize things.

Last edited:
Do the usual neogaf GT7 bread and butter guys still think Polyphony Digital really learned anything in the past?

I think not.

This franchise will only turn niche and less and less relevant with this kind of managing.

I'll reiterate, people already paid full price for the game in the first place.
For polyphony the consumer is a sucker.
Consumer is paying for luxury. For them GT7 is a privilege they give the player who purchased the game.

And it's quite cheap as it is, they're basically giving the game away. (they think)

EDIT: I don't think it's fair to blame Sony on the behaviour of one major studio, they have some sleazy stuff like the PS5 upgrades but nothing as bad as this. The other first party games are not microtransaction hogs nor do they feel as greedy as this or Sony wouldn't be in the software-developer position they're in.

Polyphony can clearly, mostly do whatever they want. As seen with not porting GT6 for the PS4, and not doing GT7 earlier on the PS4 lifecycle, taking years to do GTPortable and nor releasing anything on PS Vita. This is a studio that has only done whatever they want since GT4 launched.

Last edited:
This from the company that charges for next-gen patches, and has their fanbase defend the practice.

Shocked Futurama GIF

FunkMiller

I used to adore the GT series - you know, back when you bought a game and then didn't have to spend another penny on it, and weren't met with a mountainous, seemingly never ending grind if you didn't want to spend more money.

I'd be happy to pick up a copy of this game, along with a new racing wheel to play it on.

...if it weren't for this predatory, greedy bullshit.

Fuck off Polyphony.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I used to adore the GT series. I'd be happy to pick up a copy of this game, along with a new racing wheel to play it on.

...if it weren't for this predatory, greedy bullshit.
there aren't, its shit storm mostly created by users that don't play game and don't know economy which is perfectly fine after patch 1.11

Last edited:

FunkMiller

there aren't, its shit storm mostly created by user that don't play game and don't know economy which is perfectly fine after patch 1.11

So, you don't have to grind a ridiculous amount for hours and hours, or pay up more cash, to be able to get all the cars then?

Last edited:

*Nightwing

there aren't, its shit storm mostly created by users that don't play game and don't know economy which is perfectly fine after patch 1.11
So many jumping on the faux outrage train…. Game isn’t perfect but it is consistently improving with each update. I’ll quote myself from the last faux outrage thread
PLP6i58.jpg

i3uZavp.jpg

63JeB8d.jpg

pe3b035.jpg

RjuVmiu.gif

Pearl clutching is not only the hottest esport online right now, but it is also western societies national sport
wspc0Xy.jpg
Except if this isn't called out, they are going to do this more and more.
Except if it is called out erroneously like the boy who cried wolf, such as it is currently being done right now with GT7, real valid complaints are going to fall upon deaf ears n the future.

Edit: rhetorical question to those complaining the average of 1 million credit per hour average earnable isn’t enough in a game that has been communicated before launch would be using Haggerty for real world pricing… How long did it take you in real life to grind enough cash for your hypercar?

Last edited:

Aenima

So, you don't have to grind a ridiculous amount, or pay up, to be able to get all the cars then?
You probably dont have to grind anything to buy all the cars you like, alot of the single player content gives u alot of credits, like the Circuit Experience, that once golded gives u around 40 million. To buy all the cars in the game you will need to grind, just like in any other GT.

You dont need to pay up for anything. Thers no content locked behind MTX.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

So, you don't have to grind a ridiculous amount for hours and hours, or pay up more cash, to be able to get all the cars then?
For platinum trophy, finishing singleplayer and playing online you need literaly 0 grind, to have all the cars yes you have to grind (you can earn over 1 milion cr in hour) and I think thats perfectly fine.

Last edited:

modiz

I wonder how long it takes for someone to come up with "just install a script and use remote play", or "economics are fine because you don't need to own all cars".
The mental gymnastics around the game and defending it as it is is incredible.
Oh, I forgot one: it works as intended! Can't blame the intention though...

FunkMiller

You probably dont have to grind anything to buy all the cars you like, alot of the single player content gives u alot of credits, like the Circuit Experience, that once golded gives u around 40 million. To buy all the cars in the game you will need to grind, just like in any other GT.

You dont need to pay up for anything. Thers no content locked behind MTX.

So, in older GT games, you could quite conceivably earn every car in a decent amount of time. It took some effort, but it was quite doable.

Are you saying that the same holds true in GT7? It's reasonable to be able to obtain the best cars in a sensible period of time?

Last edited:

Melon Husk

You... you spend real life money to unlock content in Gran Turismo?
chef-skinner-skinner.gif

I have been living under a rock, yes.

Unlocking content is not "progressing the game", it's checking off tickboxes in a fake job

Beating races is progressing the game (and it shouldn't require mtx)

Last edited:

Aenima

So, in older GT games, you could quite conceivably earn every car in a decent amount of time. It took some effort, but it was quite doable.

Are you saying that the same holds true in GT7? It's reasonable to be able to obtain the best cars in a sensible period of time?
Yes. I already own 41% of all the cars in the game, and im not trying to buy all the cars. I play GT since GT3 and never owned as many cars as i do in GT7.

The best cars can be pretty cheap. So owning good cars u like is pretty easy.
Only expensive cars are legendary classic cars from the legendary dealership.

I just bought one the most expensive cars in the game, the McLaren F1 for 19 million and still have 31 million left to spend.

When thers no new content, i just play the game for 30 minutes each day, to do the daily workout and get 825k credits.

FunkMiller

Yes. I already own 41% of all the cars in the game, and im not trying to buy all the cars. I play GT since GT3 and never owned as many cars as i do in GT7.

The best cars can be pretty cheap. So owning good cars u like is pretty easy.
Only expensive cars are legendary classic cars from the legendary dealership.

I just bought one the most expensive cars in the game, the McLaren F1 for 19 million and still have 31 million left to spend.

When thers no new content, i just play the game for 30 minutes each day, to do the daily workout and get 825k credits.

Fair enough. If you're saying real money is never required to unlock cars in the game, and that it's not dozens of hours to unlock great ones, I'll take you at your word.

Assume there are no MTX required to unlock tracks or races?

Last edited:

Aenima

chef-skinner-skinner.gif

Unlocking content is not "progressing the game", it's checking off tickboxes in a fake job

And you still live under a rock if you think GT7 requires MTX to unlock any content.

Aenima

Fair enough. If you're saying real money is never required to unlock cars in the game, and that it's not dozens of hours to unlock great ones, I'll take you at your word.

Assume there are no MTX required to unlock tracks or races?
No. Thers no content locked behind MTX. The content they have added to the game after launch has been free.

TheMan

chef-skinner-skinner.gif

To be clear, buying in-game currency is completely optional and it is possible to earn the money you need for cars the old-fashioned way. I think complaints come from 1. the high prices for some of these cars compared to how much you can earn in the game. There is a lot of money to earn, but you have to be pretty good to earn it quickly (for example all golds in track experiences.). Otherwise you can grind certain races. 2. in GT sport you could straight up buy cars for a few bucks at the most whereas in GT7 it can cost 20+ bucks of real money to buy enough currency for a single car.

As for prices going up, yes it sucks in real life and it sucks in the game. Including the mechanic may be more "realistic" but I think few would argue that this translates into more fun.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This is all pretty basic stuff.

They built an element into GT7 that would predictably make cars more expensive, and the game also supports the ability for you to pay money to obtain credits.

Does it ruin the game? From what I hear the game is still quite rewarding with credits, and these cars are more collectibles than something needed to race...

But the mechanic itself is rather transparent.. the rare car market is a boom market, so prices predictably went up (27 cars went up, only 2 down)... to defend the mechanic is odd to me, it's just a shitty mechanic.

Now being outraged? That's not for me.. but there are loads of people who hate MTX, hate how they encourage greedy design components.. and this is a pretty blatant example of that. People hate that shit, they have been hating it since horse armor lol

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Except if this isn't called out, they are going to do this more and more.
It's one thing to criticise the game for a bad state, which the community did. Polyphony patched the game afterwards.

What's been criticised here, in an overly "dramatic" and "concerning" fashion is something that is known since the release of the game.

Furthermore we don't even discuss these specific ingame economies here and people are much more interested in spreading misinformation.

Melon Husk

And you still live under a rock if you think GT7 requires MTX to unlock any content.
I never said "requires".... I'm opposed to MTX in most forms except cosmetics, however. Old GTs were playable just fine without them.

Last edited:

Allandor

But the mechanic itself is rather transparent.. the rare car market is a boom market, so prices predictably went up (27 cars went up, only 2 down)... to defend the mechanic is odd to me, it's just a shitty mechanic.
So actually the game is now simulating more like normal life is. If prices go up and you don't have enough money to buy a new car because of that this game now also simulates that. If the life sucks, why should it be better in the game .....🤣
Someone should describe the developers the difference between a game and a simulation that sucks.

This game is not a economy simulation it should just concentrate on the racing part. I can understand that ingame prices get increased if it is just to easy, but as far as I know, this isn't the case. Really looks more that they want to push micro transactions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never said "requires".... I'm opposed to MTX in most forms except cosmetics, however. Old GTs were playable just fine without them.
You mean GT 1-4? Since 5 on up had MTX (had to buy with real money) for vehicles.

7 are free content updates (tracks, cars, race series, etc). The grind is no different than GT 1-4, and in a lot of instances, more rewarding.

Last edited:
I see in 2022 everything is defended by gamers.
This is a sentence no one would've written 20 years ago.
This. The standards have fallen so below, and people have become salesmen for companies, defending their every greedy move. This is not surprising given the rise of NPCs.

nikos

The game shipped with over 400 cars and people are complaining about the cost of additional cars that are purchased with credits you can earn in game. Meanwhile, those of us who play sim racing games are used to paying ~$15 per car and track.

I understand it's not exactly the same market, but this isn't really a big deal. Look at the cost of skins in any other game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The game shipped with over 400 cars and people are complaining about the cost of additional cars that are purchased with credits you can earn in game. Meanwhile, those of us who play sim racing games are used to paying ~$15 per car and track.

I understand it's not exactly the same market, but this isn't really a big deal. Look at the cost of skins in any other game.
And the skins (liveries) are practically endless in this game, all without having to spend real money.

FunkMiller

Well, it sounds from the feedback that the game is quite as rapacious as the launch model would have suggested. Might take a look at it after all.

Aenima

And so is GT7. Thers zero need to purchase any MTX to own all the cars you want in GT7.

Even the oficial online races now let you borrow all the cars available for that race without need to own any car. So to be competitive on GT7 online all you need is skill.

Last edited:

Aenima

You needed to grind more? And receipts on that?
In my own experience, yes, old GTs was more grindy and harder to buy a larger number of cars.

In old GTs to progress in carreer you need to buy all the cars for the diferent kind of races. In GT7 you buy the starter car and you keep unlocking the cars needed to compete in the next step. You end the carreer with something like 70 free cars just spending money in the starter car.

I play GT since GT3, in old GTs when im done with the game my garage usually has something like 100 cars, in GT7 i already have 183 cars. I pretty much already own all the cars i really wanted, and still have 32 million left. If you need receipts, im not gonna bother pluging in my PS2 or my PS3 just to screenshot my garage, but i can show you my GT7 garage and the credits i have right now.

For my credits, you can see the 32 million on the top:
XHYAsEO.jpg

For the cars on my garage, you can see the total (183) also on the top of the screen:
wIa7wJz.png

As a GT7 player myself sine launch. I just have to say that the creators are really bad at getting gamers to actually spend real money on credits. It is so ridiculously easy to get millions of credits in this game that the micro transactions are pointless in my opinion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is a grind calculator on gt planet and you can compare it to the number of cars and price. A lot of people I bet aren't even GT players and don't remember the grinding in old GTs and haven't played the new one to compare.
The grind was the worst in the old games. This one is far more rewarding and fun, as well as tons of earned cars without spending a dime of in-game credits as mentioned above.

As a GT7 player myself sine launch. I just have to say that the creators are really bad at getting gamers to actually spend real money on credits. It is so ridiculously easy to get millions of credits in this game that the micro transactions are pointless in my opinion.
Agreed. I forget you can even buy credits.

Venom Snake

The grind was the worst in the old games. This one is far more rewarding and fun, as well as tons of earned cars without spending a dime of in-game credits as mentioned above.

What GT7 does better than its predecessors is the variety of ways to earn that money, you don't have to repeat one profitable race over and over again, you have challenges, tickets for achieving specific goals, you can earn money by learning each track..

I will not defend the dealings of Sony and PD regarding the prices of legendary cars, but once you get out of the curiosity phase and focus on improving your driving skills (in other words, to get gold wherever possible), money flows in a wide stream. Each of these rides becomes an additional reward for your efforts
because, to be honest, that's what they really are. You don't need them to race/win, you have lots of better cars for that, much cheaper.
My old NSX from a used car market, fully tuned, is faster than the vast majority of them.

xrnzaaas

I like the game, I’ve been wishing for a proper GT all the way since GT5 (GT6 came out too late), but I too have dropped the game, for now. Hopefully it’ll keep getting updates so it’s all good once I’m back. I doubt that Forza Motorsport 8 will be better tbh, GT7 have flaws but it’s a serious love letter to cars like nothing I’ve seen before, it’ll be difficult to beat. And Turn 10 was shitty with the economics as well so 🤷‍♂️
I always loved the career modes and the simcade handling in Forza Motorsport games. The only thing that worries me is that it may end up being more focused on online and social bits. If it stays roughly the same, then I'm good.

Top Bottom