• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 running on PS5? What you expect?

saintjules

I think at launch there will be a perf option that goes "up to" 60fps, but not without some sort of sacrifice to the visuals. Similar to what we see in other games with performance mode (ie. FFXVI).

By the time this comes out I'd assume the PS5 Pro would exist. Then I'd say potentially a smooth 60fps experience, with still some hiccups in the visuals. Maybe even 40fps will be more commonplace in games by then.

Last edited:
4K Hot Coffee

Oh yes

0610f9144e544282d281652dbc8472fa.png

HL3.exe

Like we are seeing with BG3, optimizing for the series s should help the game run better on the bigger consoles. All 3 run on the same weak CPU.

only hope is for the ps5 pro to not have a slightly higher clocked zen2 but an actual upgrade.
Yes, but BG3 (even though doing complex things as well) isn't pushing hardware like Rockstar usually does. (To a fault even. GTA IV ran notoriously terrible on console)

A PS5 pro model will (if it's designed with the same idea as the PS4pro) probably boost (or swap) GPU power, and slightly higher clocks for CPU only to support the new GPU bottleneck. Not drastic enough. Consoles are mainly focused on visuals , less focused on complex CPU calculation and simulation, unfortunately.

(I loved the gigantic CPU leap in the 7th gen and what it did for game design at the time. Still waiting for a console gen that focuses more on CPU than GPU, but i'm in the minority here)

Last edited:

Karppuuna

Its their own rage engine so this is not some shitty UE5 720p shit, so expect iy yo run decent reso and some what stable frames.

I expect to power on my PS5, select GTA VI, and then be wow! This is GTA VI. Exactly what I expected.

Bet you didn't expect that.
Power? Dude, the hardware in the consoles is approaching 7 years old at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs at a 540p internal resolution across all console platforms and then upscaled to 1440p @ 30fps with dips in the mid-20's.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one who thinks this was running on a PS5 Pro dev kit?

I think people are forgetting that the first rumour of a Pro console came from a notorious Rockstar leaker who said the studio had gotten their hands on the mid-gen refreshes, this was a year ago as well.

ShakenG

Not expecting many downgrades, if at all. But im guessing 30fps - 1800p for both series X and PS5.
As for 60fps... 🤷‍♂️

Krieger

I expect Rockstar to say "Fuck it!" and put an actual Hot Coffee sex minigame into GTA6. The amount of news coverage, publicity and outrage it would cause would be glorious.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Overthought this and far too specific; but something like this would be great imo:

PS5 (Standard Visuals, 4K Upscale)
- 30fps @ ~1620p DRS
- 40fps @ ~1440p DRS

PS5 Pro (Upgraded Visuals, 4K Upscale)
- 30fps @ ~1800p DRS
- 40fps @ ~1620p DRS

PS5 Pro (Standard Visuals, 4K Upscale) {Option A: If PS5 Pro features a Zen3/4/4c CPU + Clock Boost}
- 60fps @ ~1728p DRS
- [Up to] 120fps [VRR; via Frame-Gen] @ 1620p

PS5 Pro (Standard Visuals, 4K Upscale) {Option B: If PS5 Pro features a Zen2 CPU + Clock Boost}
- 60fps+ [via Frame-Gen; from 45fps+] @ 1728p

XSX (Standard Visuals, 4K Upscale)
- 30fps @ ~1728p DRS
- 40fps+ VRR @ 1512p

XSS (Standard Visuals, 1440p Upscale, 4K Output)
- 30fps @ 900p DRS
- 40fps+ VRR @ 720p

PC
- Infinity FPS!

Switch 2
- LOL

Last edited:

PeteBull

Is it possible so many elements in gameplay?

Physics, graphics, universe, possibilities, A.I ?

What you expect from this game?

BETTER than Red Dead 2, graphically?
OP dunno if u noticed but even in trailer we had 2 kinds of graphical quality:

1st kind- good but not cgi lvl, aka what u can expect in in engine cutscenes ingame (everything with lucia for example and her clyde;p)

2nd kind- where we see all those vids from tv/social media in game, thats cgi lvl(not top marvel cgi, but definitely nothing ingame/in engine), think of it like gta5 tv channels, here it looks like they are tv channels or maybe gta's version of yt/tiktok? U can recognise them right away coz they either got some "news alike" subs in there or comments like u can see on social media vids.

Game coming earliest in 2025, likely september like gta5 coz its best moment, they got plenty time to work on it, graphics included, but dont expect graphics in actual gameplay(no cutscenes/cgi in game, actual gameplay) to look as good on base ps5, by then we will definitely have ps5pr0 so here could be the answer, tldr ps5base- 1080p30 or some nasty upscaler, and ps5pr0 hopefully will be well above that.

About if ps5 gonna produce better graphics from maxed rdr2 on pc

Base ps5 will produce graphics even more complex and impressive, but it wont be 4k100fps like in that vid, but likely either 1080p30 or some weird upscaler from even lower native resolution at 30fps(hopefully no dips but who knows, still over 1,5years till game launch)- it will still look amazing, just not crazy sharp/crisp like full fat 4k native can look and not super smooth that 100+fps make it feel.

Remember we still working in console space here- aka closed box, u can have one of the 3- super impressive visuals aka bells and whistles or 4k or high fps, if u go ham on 1 of the 3, other 2 things cant happen- there is a reason most current gen games got fidelity/performance modes, and even those fidelity modes look far from what we saw in gta6 trailer, even if we only look at in engine/ingame cutscenes from that trailer.

Duchess

The trailer was running on a PS5.

Or so I heard from a dog in the pub last night. His dog walker's girlfriend's neighbour once delivered some fruit to the Take 2 offices, so seems legit.

Fbh

Around 1200p (then upscaled) at 30fps with drops during more demanding sequences.
Maybe some unlocked framerate mode that won't be close to consistent 60fps, with scaled back visuals running at 720p.

The world itself will be one of the most authentic feeling open cities ever, there's going to be an insane amount of detail like all Rockstar games. Lots of fun random interactions with NPC's which will make the more robotic NPC's in most other open world games feel very dated and artificial by comparison.

The gameplay and mission design will be crap like all Rockstar games.

Portugeezer

1440p30fps, and I'll be happy with it if the game has the details shown in the trailer.

Probably some dips to 25fps when shit gets crazy, Rockstar has always been like this.

HighPoly

Banned
OP dunno if u noticed but even in trailer we had 2 kinds of graphical quality:

1st kind- good but not cgi lvl, aka what u can expect in in engine cutscenes ingame (everything with lucia for example and her clyde;p)

2nd kind- where we see all those vids from tv/social media in game, thats cgi lvl(not top marvel cgi, but definitely nothing ingame/in engine), think of it like gta5 tv channels, here it looks like they are tv channels or maybe gta's version of yt/tiktok? U can recognise them right away coz they either got some "news alike" subs in there or comments like u can see on social media vids.

Game coming earliest in 2025, likely september like gta5 coz its best moment, they got plenty time to work on it, graphics included, but dont expect graphics in actual gameplay(no cutscenes/cgi in game, actual gameplay) to look as good on base ps5, by then we will definitely have ps5pr0 so here could be the answer, tldr ps5base- 1080p30 or some nasty upscaler, and ps5pr0 hopefully will be well above that.

About if ps5 gonna produce better graphics from maxed rdr2 on pc

Base ps5 will produce graphics even more complex and impressive, but it wont be 4k100fps like in that vid, but likely either 1080p30 or some weird upscaler from even lower native resolution at 30fps(hopefully no dips but who knows, still over 1,5years till game launch)- it will still look amazing, just not crazy sharp/crisp like full fat 4k native can look and not super smooth that 100+fps make it feel.

Remember we still working in console space here- aka closed box, u can have one of the 3- super impressive visuals aka bells and whistles or 4k or high fps, if u go ham on 1 of the 3, other 2 things cant happen- there is a reason most current gen games got fidelity/performance modes, and even those fidelity modes look far from what we saw in gta6 trailer, even if we only look at in engine/ingame cutscenes from that trailer.

People thinks we're gonna get the same distance between GTA 5 and RDR2 gap!

That's not true, because GTA 6 is a higher complex game than ever, and more complex than Red Dead universe BY FAR!!!
So many things to do, and places to visit, physics, A.I, interactions, Guns, Cars, People...

But SURE!!! The graphic is a little bit better than RDR2, at the point we can notice some diferences... Hair, Animation, Lighting...

It's mora an evolution from RDR2 than a Revolution!

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I expect it was real-time, in-engine, probs running on a PS5 devkit or similar spec, mix of game/cutscene asset and lighting settings.

RDR2 trailers were pretty much identical to what we got in terms of the overall effective image.

Of course, you always have to take into consideration shot composition, time of day choice and asset placement for a trailer along with cinematic camera movement.

I expect this is what we're gonna get with some minor artistic changes and a little give and take in one technical aspect or another.

One thing that actually surprises me in major trailers like this is why they sometimes choose really unflattering shots such as the chainlink fence/barbwire with low accuracy DoF; and the same with one of the shots with her hair looking all shimmery. As well as the shot of the car skidding round the and the hovercraft travelling; both with with dull, orange lighting that flattens the image making. These two latter shots actually look last gen, meanwhile the bulk of the rest of the stuff looks categorically current-gen only.

I'm really hoping R* pick up the same habit as Sony 1P studios and some other 2P/3P studios and include a 40fps mode on PS5..

Even if it comes out on PS5 Pro with a 60fps mode, I'd probs choose a 40fps mode with better FX and Native Res.

Last edited:

dcx4610

30fps and dynamic resolution. MAYBE a 60fps performance mode with a significant graphical downgrade but I wouldn’t expect it.

Rockstar are wizards with their engines but there’s only so much you can do.

I’ll wait for PC most likely. GTA is one of those games that I only want to play from start to finish once.

Top Bottom