• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport currently has 8.2 million users

joe_zazen

GtSport is the only Sony racer ps5 has aside from the dead Driveclub. It is marketed heavily to this day, including irl free events. There is one in australia this week. Xbox has multiple entries of both Forza games, so if you want to compare numbers, you need to add them all up, including Forza PC numbers. Forza is the bigger franchise by number of players.

To have a successful esport, you cannot limit yourself to one console. The only reason GT sport is half successful here is because sony pays for everything, including the FIA. GT Sport generates no esport revenue. If they want a successful gt esport, they will need to move the game to other platforms, or at least PC.

Fact is, Sony has a subpar racing game stable because Ryan shitcanned Evolution and Sony doesn't fund PD enough to pump out content like MS does Playground and Turn Ten. That and PD just is not very efficient.

on the up side, gt sport does have nice online because bad players cant ruin it for people who actually want to race and not play bumper cars. But for players who do want bumper racing or simcade/arcade racing, sony got nothing. And for single player fans, almost nothing. This makes me sad because i am a ps4 only guy.

The whole racing situation on PS4 has me seriously reconsidering where I want to play as I need a new wheel and, of course, you cant get an xbox and ps compatible wheel.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
GtSport is the only Sony racer ps5 has aside from the dead Driveclub. It is marketed heavily to this day, including irl free events. There is one in australia this week. Xbox has multiple entries of both Forza games, so if you want to compare numbers, you need to add them all up, including Forza PC numbers. Forza is the bigger franchise by number of players.

To have a successful esport, you cannot limit yourself to one console. The only reason GT sport is half successful here is because sony pays for everything, including the FIA. GT Sport generates no esport revenue. If they want a successful gt esport, they will need to move the game to other platforms, or at least PC.

Fact is, Sony has a subpar racing game stable because Ryan shitcanned Evolution and Sony doesn't fund PD enough to pump out content like MS does Playground and Turn Ten. That and PD just is not very efficient.

on the up side, gt sport does have nice online because bad players cant ruin it for people who actually want to race and not play bumper cars. But for players who do want bumper racing or simcade/arcade racing, sony got nothing. And for single player fans, almost nothing.
Talking out of your ass.
Gran turismo is number one racing game on esports scene. Nothing comes close.
The manufacturer series upload yesterday has more views than any forza champioshop ever.

Polyphony has more money than all the forza team combine.
Gran turismo is 80 million series
Forza isnt bigger on anything.
Forza 7 straight up bombed.

joe_zazen

Talking out of your ass.
Gran turismo is number one racing game on esports scene. Nothing comes close.
The manufacturer series upload yesterday has more views than any forza champioshop ever.

Polyphony has more money than all the forza team combine.
Gran turismo is 80 million series
Forza isnt bigger on anything.
Forza 7 straight up bombed.

PD 170 employees, Tuen Ten + Playground 300. That is why they make way more games.

and yes gt sport is most successful esport, but that is because sony pays for everthing including live events and marketing. it makes no money beyond $19.99 game sales.

and when ps5 launches, where is the player base? Or will they be racing on ps4s for the first three years? You need many millions of active players for a successful esport and new gens will not have that. Kinda sad no next gen racer from sony till 2023+ if that is the case.

edit: and i have no dog in the forza race. But there is no way a single gt game has sold more copies than combined forza numbers.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
PD 170 employees, Tuen Ten + Playground 300. That is why they make way more games.

and yes gt sport is most successful esport, but that is because sony pays for everthing including live events and marketing. it makes no money beyond $19.99 game sales.

and when ps5 launches, where is the player base? Or will they be racing on ps4s for the first three years? You need many millions of active players for a successful esport and new gens will not have that. Kinda sad no next gen racer from sony till 2023+ if that is the case.
Why would sony pay for everything?
There is a lot of evidence that kaz has a lot of friends in the car industry. There are a lot cars in real life that came straight out of the game. And lot msnufucters talk about how gran turismo influrnce a lot of young on their decion to buy their first car.

Come on mate. This is business 101.
Gran turismo brings views of course compsnies will be happy to help.
Another example formula 1 makes no money but its the prestige that make these companies pursuing it. There were rumours that mercedes would leave f1 to save money.

ethomaz

Banned
Forza Horizon 3 ~13.2M users
Forza Horizon 4 ~16.5M
Forza Motorsport 5 ~14.7M
Forza Motorsport 6 ~10M
Forza Motorsport 7 ~4.6M

Includes those who played the trial version, doesn't include the demo version.
Where you got these number? Can you share it?

SLB1904

Banned
I mean lol
ECn6iFO.png

Last edited:

joe_zazen

There is a lot of evidence that kaz has a lot of friends in the car industry. There are a lot cars in real life that came straight out of the game. And lot msnufucters talk about how gran turismo influrnce a lot of young on their decion to buy their first car.

Another example formula 1 makes no money but its the prestige that make these companies pursuing it. There were rumours that mercedes would leave f1 to save money.

to sell PlayStations and gtsport copies and dlc. We will know if it has had a worthwhile ROI in a couple of more years if they have renewed the fia deal or not.

and manufacturers in f1 get a revenue share + hundreds of millions of eyeballs. Or at least they used to. I havent followed it sine the eccelstone days. Watching motogp made f1 soooooo boring.

but if manufacturer, race track owners, and the fia are paying sony for some reason, good for sony shareholders. I just have no idea why they would.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
to sell PlayStations and gtsport copies and dlc. We will know if it has had a worthwhile ROI in a couple of more years if they have renewed the fia deal or not.

and manufacturers in f1 get a revenue share + hundreds of millions of eyeballs. Or at least they used to. I havent followed it sine the eccelstone days. Watching motogp made f1 soooooo boring.

but if manufacturer, race track owners, and the fia are paying sony for some reason, good for sony shareholders. I just have no idea why they would.
I mean i didnt say they dont pay nothing.
They probably get things cheap.
Like to rent redbull hanger.
Gran turismo is getting bigger and bigger even at 20 quid still better than play for free like in forza case.

edit: and i have no dog in the forza race. But there is no way a single gt game has sold more copies than combined forza numbers.

I believe that GT 3 or 5 sold more than whole Forza Motorsport series combined till date or it's pretty close.
Just GT3 alone sold almost in 15 mil. copies

Last edited:

gamstat

Neo Member
Where you got these number? Can you share it?

Pretty much the same method as with the PlayStation figures - a random sample of ~1.2M accounts (with gamerscore > 0) from Xbox Live.
The estimates should become publicly available soon (this month - if I have enough free time).

joe_zazen

I believe that GT 3 or 5 sold more than whole Forza Motorsport series combined till date or it's pretty close.
Just GT3 alone sold almost in 15 mil. copies

true.

racing isnt as popular for sure. Lots of irl activities are the same: golfing, hunting, fishing, non-selfie mountain climbing....idk, smartphone addiction has really hurt any activity that cant give people lots of jealous inducing selfies.

maybe sony is right to have only one racing game made by midsize studio. Playground now makes other games and horizon isnt so much a racing game as a open world fuck around ‘ii am cool’ game. I should prolly face the fact that racing games don't deserve tlou2 investment and multiple first party studios.

i also need to let go my driveclub anger, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Weird OP as I am not sure what it is trying to discuss... beyond trying to put down a game or show “concern” for it. I get user fan of X upset about Y concerning X, I get fan of Z happy and floating about W regarding Z...

The non-fan of GT posting the n-th thread trying to paint GTS as a failure feels odd at best, console warrior-ish at worst... :confused:.

I don’t even play the series anymore and it is obvious as the sunrise.

I think you're missing the point, Sony isn't putting out a game and then this eSport scene for it explodes into existence from the community, sponsors, third parties etc.

Sony is forcing it to be an eSport by paying for everything to make it one. If they dropped their eSport funding the whole thing would be dead. I'm not saying it's not good that they are doing this but it's not like this game springboarded its own success in the venture like so many other games actually do.

SLB1904

Banned
I think you're missing the point, Sony isn't putting out a game and then this eSport scene for it explodes into existence from the community, sponsors, third parties etc.

Sony is forcing it to be an eSport by paying for everything to make it one. If they dropped their eSport funding the whole thing would be dead. I'm not saying it's not good that they are doing this but it's not like this game springboarded its own success in the venture like so many other games actually do.
Lol sony isnt forcing anything to polyphony. Also polyphony has enough money to do whatever they want.
And why would they drop the support when its getting bigger and bigger. Makes no sense.

Lol sony isnt forcing anything to polyphony. Also polyphony has enough money to do whatever they want.
And why would they drop the support when its getting bigger and bigger. Makes no sense.
Again you're still missing the point.

The growth (there likely isn't any because of drop off) is due to their continued fueling of these events and trying to commercialize the game as an eSport. Sony is trying to force its market relevance when it really doesn't have any of its own. The game has been out for 2 1/2 years, it's cheap at $15-$20 (which its been for over 2 years), and the figures surrounding it aren't that great.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Again you're still missing the point.

The growth (there likely isn't any because of drop off) is due to their continued fueling of these events and trying to commercialize the game as an eSport. Sony is trying to force its market relevance when it really doesn't have any of its own. The game has been out for 2 1/2 years, it's cheap at $15-$20 (which its been for over 2 years), and the figures surrounding it aren't that great.

It is the most successful dim race out there.

Posted 07 February 2020

PS4
  1. Grand Theft Auto V ( 1 )
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ( 11 )
  3. EA SPORTS FIFA 20 ( 2 )
  4. EA SPORTS UFC 3 ( 10 )
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ( 3 )
  6. Real Farm ( RE )
  7. DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT ( New )
  8. Minecraft ( 7 )
  9. TEKKEN 7 ( 4 )
  10. Rocket League ( 8 )
  11. STAR WARS Battlefront II ( 6 )
  12. Need for Speed Heat ( 9 )
  13. Marvel’s Spider-Man ( 18 )
  14. Red Dead Redemption 2 ( 13 )
  15. ARK: Survival Evolved ( RE )
  16. TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE ( 12 )
  17. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order ( 5 )
  18. Need for Speed ( 20 )
  19. Gran Turismo Sport ( 19 )
  20. Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20.
Charting 2 month in a row 3 years after release.
Is trending upwards
20 quid is 100% to Sony.
The game release in a early access state.
I only seen win here.

Where is forza 7? Its dead.

SLB1904

Banned

For comparison, FH4 has over 12 million users back in August 2019.

MK8 is over 31 million copies shipped and probably more than 50 million players at this point.

Updated

Last know figure.

GTS - 3.3M copies - 8.2M users
MK8 - 31M copies - ?? Users
Forza Horizon 3 ~13.2M users
Forza Horizon 4 ~16.5M users
Forza Motorsport 5 ~14.7M users
Forza Motorsport 6 ~10M users
Forza Motorsport 7 ~4.6M users
What are the source for this numbers?
Forza never sold more than 2million copies how that hell they have 15 million players?

What are the source for this numbers?
Forza never sold more than 2million copies how that hell they have 15 million players?

You know, xbox fans, like their leaders Greenberg, Spencer love to spin things. Even spin the PR from MS's execs.:D They've learned probably from the best. :D Why not spin 15 mil. players for each Forza? Yeah, why not

Anyway :

December 2016, the Forza series also got more than 14 million unique players across Xbox One and Windows 10.

So, Forza series, including FM5/6, FH2(X360 users maybe but article didn't mentioned them???) and FH3 across X1 and PC.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

eSport already existed before GTS.
It is growing... iRacing and GTS just evolved to attend a market demand.
The numbers are indeed great and way better than you wished.

GTS success is really deserved.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Pretty much the same method as with the PlayStation figures - a random sample of ~1.2M accounts (with gamerscore > 0) from Xbox Live.
The estimates should become publicly available soon (this month - if I have enough free time).
That is interesting... I will look into when you release it.
But like PS estimates it can be pretty flawed because both Trophies and Gamescore can give a margin of error in the millions.

gamstat

Neo Member
Where is forza 7? Its dead.
Um, Forza Motorsport 7 and Grand Turismo Sport have +/- the same number of active users.

That is interesting... I will look into when you release it.
But like PS estimates it can be pretty flawed because both Trophies and Gamescore can give a margin of error in the millions.
Absolutely. gamstat.com data is flawed, incomplete, unreliable, etc.
Unfortunately, at the same time, it often happens to be the best information available.

SLB1904

Banned
Um, Forza Motorsport 7 and Grand Turismo Sport have +/- the same number of active users.
no they dont.

there was a list on the other site where they show the active players on every popular online game gts was there and forza was nowhere to be seen.
and the fact turn 10 dropped the support for the game should be obvious.
of course, you will find players. but no they aren't in the same patamar

Patrick S.

Banned
no they dont.

there was a list on the other site where they show the active players on every popular online game gts was there and forza was nowhere to be seen.
and the fact turn 10 dropped the support for the game should be obvious.
of course, you will find players. but no they aren't in the same patamar

I love GTS but its online racing is dead to me. In Forza, I can hop in a car and have fun doing a track day event. In Gran Turismo Sport, there are no track days, and if I want to race against other people I am forced to wait up to half an hour so I can race on the track that is currently in rotation. Don't like the tracks in rotation or the cars eligible to run? Tough luck, try again tomorrow.

SLB1904

Banned
I love GTS but its online racing is dead to me. In Forza, I can hop in a car and have fun doing a track day event. In Gran Turismo Sport, there are no track days, and if I want to race against other people I am forced to wait up to half an hour so I can race on the track that is currently in rotation. Don't like the tracks in rotation or the cars eligible to run? Tough luck, try again tomorrow.
I donnt know what gts you being playing. The max time you waiit is 13 to 15 min. And only if you quit a race. Normal wating tome is 6 to 5min.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I couldn't care less for either game but reading this reminded me I own Wreckfest lol. Now I feel like playing it. Tons of fun if you haven't tried it.

Great Hair

Banned
Vaccum Cleaners on 4x wheels i GT:Sport ... wish they stopped using these redbüll wannabe F1 cars. Terrific Myazono!

GT2, GT3 and GT4 and LMP cars ... they all look better. Remove those big overlays over the car AND stream at 4K HDR please!

Last edited:

EMP88

Neophyte
2-3 years after release GT Sport feels in a stronger position than it’s ever been in.

The FIA Esport events have matured into a production that could quite easily be on mainstream TV. In fact I’m sure it will in time.

While this has been going on. PD has also been producing content and developing the single-player. Both of which I’m sure will be much more robust in GT7.

Speaking of GT7. The latest I’m hearing is that it’s already been in development for 2 years and is due in 2021. I would babe surprised to see it at the PS5 reveal. In the meantime GT Sport will continue being supported into PS5.

As for sales numbers, no one really knows. GT Sport currently has 9.4m users so I’d expect it to hit 11m by the end of the year. You can argue how many of those are sales.

2-3 years after release GT Sport feels in a stronger position than it’s ever been in.

The FIA Esport events have matured into a production that could quite easily be on mainstream TV. In fact I’m sure it will in time.

While this has been going on. PD has also been producing content and developing the single-player. Both of which I’m sure will be much more robust in GT7.

Speaking of GT7. The latest I’m hearing is that it’s already been in development for 2 years and is due in 2021. I would babe surprised to see it at the PS5 reveal. In the meantime GT Sport will continue being supported into PS5.

As for sales numbers, no one really knows. GT Sport currently has 9.4m users so I’d expect it to hit 11m by the end of the year. You can argue how many of those are sales.

Hm....something is going on i presume. Last decent update was in December. Maybe they are busy with GT7, who knows.

GHG

Well it depends on whether your idea enjoyable racing is this:

Or this:

Not knocking you BTW, both types of games have their place but the whole point of GT Sport is to create a bit more of a serious environment around the organised online races. It's exactly the same as iRacing and it's no coincidence that Assetto Corsa Competizione and Raceroom have recently implemented similar schedules for online races with matchmaking in recent months.

You can also jump into random lobbies in GT Sport but yeh, the online is not as "pick up and play" as Forza is. That's probably your best (or only?) bet in terms of being able to select a playlist and instantly play until you've had enough.

Personally I'd rather set aside some time and put some practice laps in while waiting for a race that I know will be of decent quality, rather than jump in instantly with random cars on a random track against all sorts of random people who don't give a hoot about the overall quality of the race.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You can create a lob or join one and play without wait lol
And these days I did a daily even in less than 10 minutes that include doing the qualify.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I keep hearing all this talk of quality racing and etiquette in regards to GTSport. That it has raised the bar in online racing and this and that.

It's not my experience with it at all. It's still a ramfest and punters paradise and the penalty system is a joke.

Get hit by another player. Penalty to you.

Get brake checked by another player. Penalty to you.

Take the lead and try to take the inside line? Get punted off up the inside with no penalty to other player.

It's a joke.

ethomaz

Banned
I keep hearing all this talk of quality racing and etiquette in regards to GTSport. That it has raised the bar in online racing and this and that.

It's not my experience with it at all. It's still a ramfest and punters paradise and the penalty system is a joke.

Take the lead and try to take the inside line? Get punted off up the inside with no penalty to other player.

It's a joke.
Are you playing GTS?

If somebody hit you then he will get penalty not you.
You will receive penalties when you do something wrong like you hit another player, you run outside the way, burned fuel at qualifying, etc.

Last edited:

GHG

It's a joke.

That's just the way it is when you start out in these types of games in the mid to lower ranks. Until you get your safety rating up you are going to be around people who either don't have a clue what they are doing or don't care.

The best thing you can do when starting out of you want to get to the ranks where the racing is clean and of a higher standard of etiquette is to practice, but not qualify so you start at the back, then literally hang back, keep it clean and watch the chaos unfold in front of you. You need to go into survival mode for 2-3 races then you'll be rewarded with racing against like minded people if cleaner racing is what you seek.

ethomaz

Banned
I made a mistake lol I used the search tool to find the thread and posted in the wrong one.

Here is the actual data.
The number in OP are very outdated.

After a fully update in all old profiles extracted in my database only 13 profiles were suspended by PD.
So the numbers in OP are really outdated.

Actually there officially 9,528,488 profiles for GTS final game.

Official Overall Profiles as of Feb 20, 2020
  • Total profiles: 10,097,449
  • Total GTS profiles: 9,528,488
  • Total Beta only profiles: 568,948 * Beta profiles turn in GTS profiles after play the final game
  • Total suspended (254) profiles: 1
  • Total suspended (255) profiles: 12

• Missing profiles: 30,551 * profiles that where removed from the Beta phase due unknown reasons

It is averaging ~45k new profiles per week so if it not droop it will cross 10 million GTS profiles in 11 weeks.

You can see the full data here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gran-turismo-sport-a-comprehensive-sales-estimate.1469385/

Last edited:
Why on earth is someone comparing mario kart to GT. One came bundled in. One didnt. Bc they both have wheels?
78-190-789-V01.jpg

Last edited:

It's a joke.

I think it's a bug in the game. These things didn't happened before in lobbys or in Sport mode. Well, time will tell when PD will fix it.

Trimesh

Banned
So I should be paid by Sony just because you don’t like official public data :messenger_tears_of_joy:

No, it's just your rather puzzling and manic intensity on this subject - and I have to wonder how many of those "profiles" are people like me that bought the game because it was cheap and looked like it might be interesting - only to play it for a short while, conclude it was boring crap and never run it again.

ethomaz

Banned
No, it's just your rather puzzling and manic intensity on this subject - and I have to wonder how many of those "profiles" are people like me that bought the game because it was cheap and looked like it might be interesting - only to play it for a short while, conclude it was boring crap and never run it again.
It doesn’t matter what you think about me.
The numbers in OP are outdated like I spotted before and I just did a double check to confirm it.
If your profile is active or not, or you liked it or not is irrelevant to the OP.

Maybe you are being paid by MS to say GTS is boring crap :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The game is pretty good and active.

Last edited:
Top Bottom