• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport currently has 8.2 million users

For comparison, FH4 has over 12 million users back in August 2019.

MK8 is over 31 million copies shipped and probably more than 50 million players at this point.

Updated

Last know figure.

GTS - 3.3M copies - 8.2M users
MK8 - 31M copies - ?? Users
Forza Horizon 3 ~13.2M users
Forza Horizon 4 ~16.5M users
Forza Motorsport 5 ~14.7M users
Forza Motorsport 6 ~10M users
Forza Motorsport 7 ~4.6M users

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Very old data.

Actually it has: 9,481,623 users as of Feb 13, 2020.

Last edited:
Very old data.

14th February 2020

hunthunt

Banned
I reallt liked what they did with GT Sport but I hope Hermen Hulst asks more fron Yamauchi, we really need a flull fledged Gran Turismo 7 for PS5 launch date.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I did not know why they used old data this time.
Last year they used more recent data:

Feb 21, 2019: GTS 7,095,110
Picture reveled on March 15, 2019.
20190315_141940-800x450.jpg

Feb 13, 2020: GTS 9,481,623
Picture reveled on Feb 14, 2020.
IMG_0010-860x484.jpg

BTW all that data is public.... of course the number of users is easy to sum but the number of total hours you need to get detailed info from each of 9.4m users to sum up and that is really time consuming.

Last edited:

IMG_0010-860x484.jpg
They are right, maybe new tracking is more accurate.

I trust Sony in this situation.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They are right, maybe new tracking is more accurate.
They are definitively using old data.
This data of players is public and it is as yesterday at ~9.4 million users.

There is no tracking at all... it is the number of users signed on GTS.... their site had all these data public to anybody.

I trust Sony in this situation.
Me too.

~9.4m is from own Sony/PD site lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This site has wrong estimate too.

Total player count
as of 2 February 2020

They get wrong because their extrapolation.

"Gamstat.com estimates are based on a representative sample of ~7 mln accounts retrieved via PSN API. The obtained data is extrapolated to all PSN accounts with a small margin of error."

I do full extract of all profiles.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Very old data.

It was already over 3.3 million sold as May 5, 2018.
Nope... the data in the slide is old... from mid 2019.

Actual data: 9,481,623 users as of Feb 13, 2020

IMG_0010-860x484.jpg

BTW all that data is public.... of course the number of users is easy to sum but the number of total hours you need to get detailed info from each of 9.4m users to sum up and that is really time consuming.
They are definitively using old data.
This data of players is public and it is as yesterday at ~9.4 million users.

There is no tracking at all... it is the number of users signed on GTS.... their site had all these data public to anybody.

Me too.

~9.4m is from own Sony/PD site lol
Denial is really a thing in GAF :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It is the same data (come from the same source) except the slide has a old data from mid/late 2019.

It is 1.4m bigger today.
And?

Data is public... why not show the accurate data?
This site has wrong estimate too.

Total player count
as of 2 February 2020

They get wrong because their extrapolation.

"Gamstat.com estimates are based on a representative sample of ~7 mln accounts retrieved via PSN API. The obtained data is extrapolated to all PSN accounts with a small margin of error."

I do full extracto of all profiles.

First message was 10 minutes after thread started, why where you so late with the GT sales data this time?

ethomaz

Banned
Somebody on GTPlanet asked me if I'm including suspended profiles.
I think I'm not because I have these status in the extraction:

Status 1/GTS: 9481623
Status 2/Beta: 569362
Status 254(?): 1
Status 255(?): 1
No status/profile: 30504

I believe suspended profiles are the ones without status and profile data or the status 254/255.
These are about 30k but to see if it has more I need to update about 8 million profiles.

I will rollover a new extraction of these 8 million profiles to see if there is more suspended profiles.

Maybe there is 1.4m suspended profiles but my extraction was before they got suspended.
I will update in some days.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Including the accounts made for the demo/trial/open beta probs

Still extremely low considering number of consoles sold

Edit: Yep. Just as I thought, counting Beta progress thats carried over to full game as accounts.

Last edited:

mejin

For comparison, FH4 has over 12 million users back in August 2019.

MK8 is over 31 million copies shipped and probably more than 50 million players at this point.

FH4 is free on gamepass + pc version

MK is a party game.

Anyway, Polyphony Digital has work to do.

Don't know why Sony didn't treat GTS like a headliner and have a high quantity of bundles like older GT games. Sure there's some but not as many as previous entries before GT6.

Sims don't have the pull they had in the 90's to late 2000's when they started slowly dropping off. It's like skatebaord games, they can't really do well alone nowadays, the Tony Hawk days are over, but if you were to bundle them that might help.

Though Tony Hawk 5 was a disaster so bundling that may not have worked.

EMP88

Neophyte
Don't know why Sony didn't treat GTS like a headliner and have a high quantity of bundles like older GT games. Sure there's some but not as many as previous entries before GT6.

Sims don't have the pull they had in the 90's to late 2000's when they started slowly dropping off. It's like skatebaord games, they can't really do well alone nowadays, the Tony Hawk days are over, but if you were to bundle them that might help.

Though Tony Hawk 5 was a disaster so bundling that may not have worked.
GT Sport was a reset for the series. Everything has been built from scratch to 4K standards. As a result GT Sport launched with sparse content and the uncertain marketing campaign.

But during the last few years we’ve seen PD’s development pipeline massively improve along with a much stronger community presence. Anyone who’s followed the series can also see how PD’s budget has been ramped up.

Manufacturer and automotive partnerships with the likes of Michelin, Porsche, Mazda etc. have kicked into high gear again. While the FIA events seem to be getting more ambitious. This weekends event in Sydney looks to be the biggest stage and audience yet.

All this does seem to be paying off. The games still placing on the EU PSN and EMEA charts. While there where 50m viewers (across all platform/media) for the FIA World Finals in Monaco.

GT Sport will pass 10m accounts by the summer. And I’m pretty sure it will hit a total of 8m-10m sales by the time the next GT is launched. It will be interesting to see if GT Sport hits PS+ as that could see accounts jump well over 15m.

Last edited:
GT Sport was a reset for the series. Everything has been built from scratch to 4K standards. As a result GT Sport launched with sparse content and the uncertain marketing campaign.

But during the last few years we’ve seen PD’s development pipeline massively improve along with a much stronger community presence. Anyone who’s followed the series can also see how PD’s budget has been ramped up.

Manufacturer and automotive partnerships with the likes of Michelin, Porsche, Mazda etc. have kicked into high gear again. While the FIA events seem to be getting more ambitious. This weekends event in Sydney looks to be the biggest stage and audience yet.

All this does seem to be paying off. The games still placing on the EU PSN and EMEA charts. While there where 50m viewers (across all platform/media) for the FIA World Finals in Monaco.

GT Sport will pass 10m accounts by the summer. And I’m pretty sure it will hit a total of 8m-10m sales by the time the next GT is launched. It will be interesting to see if GT Sport hits PS+ as that could see accounts jump well over 15m.
5.5M copies max. Only Mario Kart could have that kind of leg.

Super Mario Party didn't even pass 10M copies yet despite charting consistently across the globe while GTS is nowhere to be found.

thelastword

Banned
A game where it's users had to buy it vs a game people got for free on gamepass.....I wonder which one would have more padded numbers.....I wonder if these same folks are willing to take a poll on who's still playing GT vs that gamepass game....

Congratz to PD, can't for the next GT on PS5....It will literally blow minds and eye-sockets...….

ethomaz

Banned
7-8 million? 🤭 They would release PR by now if already crossed that mark.

4-5 million is more accurate since users =! Sold copies
They share when they reach new milestones in the franchise... sadly they used to share every quarter before.

Next milestone is 90 million sold.

4-5m is too low to actual numbers of profiles... GTS has no trial or free version to boost profiles... 7-8 million for 9m profiles is about right.

I’m making the update of the profiles to see if there is really suspended profiles from players that create a second profile to trick the system... if there is a good amount of it then the difference between profiles and sales will be even lower after I remove the suspended accounts.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's pretty surprising that race simulator have such a huge userbase, I don't think it's that much fun to play these games honestly. But good for Polyphony.

They share when they reach new milestones in the franchise... sadly they used to share every quarter before.

Next milestone is 90 million sold.

4-5m is too low to actual numbers of profiles... GTS has no trial or free version to host profiles.
Until we have more concrete number then those imaginary number is invalid including mine.

3.3M from Sony.

A game where it's users had to buy it vs a game people got for free on gamepass.....I wonder which one would have more padded numbers.....I wonder if these same folks are willing to take a poll on who's still playing GT vs that gamepass game....

Congratz to PD, can't for the next GT on PS5....It will literally blow minds and eye-sockets...….
OP needs to get spanked for this stupidly biased thread against Sony.

He's worse than CurryPander.

gamstat

Neo Member
Overall Profiles as of Feb 13, 2020
  • Total profiles: 10,081,491
  • Total GTS profiles: 9,481,623
  • Total Beta only profiles: 569,362

By the way, if someone has played only the beta version of GT Sport, does it appear on their PSN account?
Could you give a couple of links to those "Beta only profiles"?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
By the way, if someone has played only the beta version of GT Sport, does it appear on their PSN account?
Could you give a couple of links to those "Beta only profiles"?
The json it come with a status value and 2 means the guy only played the Beta... if you play the final game it update to 1.

Below is a beta one profile: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/1000011/overview
This one is a normal profile: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/profile/1000012/overview

You can see the difference between Beta only profiles and normal profiles by the "Days logged"... the Beta profiles will have always 0 until they play the final games when they change to 1 and will increasing each day you login.
Not just that you can see all the stats are 0... basically he never played the final game.
The normal profile has the "Days logged" > 0 and all stats are filled.

Take not I used a normal profile that just played the final game twice... that menas he did two logins in different days... it basically left the game after that.
But you can see he has 2 days of login and level 1 (Beta will always be level 0).

Another diffeference are the tabs Life Log, Achievements, etc... Beta only didn't show that tabs or have 0 in all (Achievements) while the normal one have these tabs filled even when the guy in the example played less than 1 hour of the final game (go in Achievements > Play Time there is a bit filled but it is less than 1 hour).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of people like these stats but GT caters to a certain style obviously their's different racers out there (Mario Kart, Nascar etc.) I could see them making a Sport game again.

ethomaz

Banned
A lot of people like these stats but GT caters to a certain style obviously their's different racers out there (Mario Kart, Nascar etc.) I could see them making a Sport game again.
The GT Sport will probably be the main title on PS5.
They are really focusing and being successful in eSport.

I hope PD can launch it in the first two years of the console to have a bigger impact.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
If a game has 8.2 million users it's probably sold about ~4-5 million.
There is no free demo or trial.
So to have 8 million users that means the sales needs to be close... unless you believe there are 4 million duplicated accounts lol

Last UK know sales were 90%of the profiles.
Last JP know sales were 80% of the profiles.

BTW the 8.2m is outdated from mid 2019.
It is actually a bit over 9.4m users.

Last edited:
Top Bottom