• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa Has Sold Over 28 Million Copies Worldwide as of Dec 31st 2022, becoming the best selling racing sim. Sequel planned for spring 2024.

Reposted with new direct source From the companies financial report,
https://s2k2p8v9.stackpathcdn.com/w...-Report-as-of-December-31st-2022-criptato.pdf
FrQyj4DWAAE4PEo

This is incredibly impressive. 28 million copies is going to be an incredibly hard game to reach. Assetto did this with fan engagement, long-term support, and providing one of the most well-reviewed sim experience by players. Being on PC+Consoles also helped with its reach and I expect it to hit over 30 million by the time the sequel comes around, planned for a spring 2024 released currently.

Outside a sequel I don't see another racing sim being able to reach this number unless the PC+console Forza Motor Sport hits it out of the park that even Forza 3 or 4 could do around the peak of the 360. This are incredible results.

The revenue reported seems to be a little low for the series, but I found a tweet that possibly explains the revenue number despite the sales,

Either way revenue aside, a lot more people played Assetto Corsa than many previously thought. Many though it was done and would just sell to a profitable crowd of enthusiasts, but it turns out it was selling quietly to the mainstream the whole time. Good job to Digital Bros and congratulations on the success.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was in humble bundle and 3$ very often.
Even I own it and I never intend to install it lol. I dont even know where I got it!

blue velvet

I'm kinda doubting that numbers, on steam chart, on its biggest platform it only peaked around couple of thousands https://steamcharts.com/app/244210.
Did they include as sales like the ps plus version on console or overall player count? Sure, it's good PR, but 28 million sales is a bit sketchy. Heck even if you release Gran Turismo on all platforms I doubt it'll reach that number, and it's pretty much the biggest track based racing franchise in the whole industry.

Last edited:
Impressive. It gives me hope for the future of the industry when small teams have this kind of success. I've seen the game but it was never on my radar (hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on the PS store). Gonna give it a go at some point.

Stuart360

It has been on very cheap sales for years, and included in bundles etc, but like Eddie said, a lot of games have done that and not come close to these numbers.
Its very impressive regardless how you look at it.

[Sigma]

This is multiple games. I didn't play Assetto Corsa. I have Assetto Corsa Competizione in my library somewhere. Been meaning to check it out at some point.

Last edited:
It has been on very cheap sales for years, and included in bundles etc, but like Eddie said, a lot of games have done that and not come close to these numbers.
Its very impressive regardless how you look at it.

Yeah, being on sale only works if there's some appeal to the consumer, and the game has a very strong comunity that's constantly active on various social media and media sites in multiple countries uploading.

I can see two having a strong launch when it comes out next year.

It makes me wonder how well GT7 is doing and how the upcoming Forza Reboot will do, maybe this success will bleed off on the latter since it's also going to be on PC day 1.

Patrick S.

Banned
Assetto Corsa is INCREDIBLE.

And the lightning and weather mods make this an absolute looker, too. Modding in general is HUGE for this game, there's an unbelievable amount of top notch stuff. If you're getting into this, have a look at racedepartment.com

Neo_game

Wow that is awesome. This is one of the best sims if not the best sims on PC. It would be intresting to have the numbers of other sims or even other racing games.

Patrick S.

Banned
Wow that is awesome. This is one of the best sims if not the best sims on PC. It would be intresting to have the numbers of other sims or even other racing games.
The only sim in the same league is iRacing, which is the best sim, but of course it looks mediocre, isn't moddable, and is delivered via a very expensive subscription service and content packs.

iRacing definitely generates more revenue, and is the sim of choice for real life racing drivers, though.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Yet other games that did this didn't sell anywhere near as well doing the same thing.

I think the reason for these numbers is the quality association and the dev support.
I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything, I like it, but I think it hit upon something irregular in the market to get those numbers.

I don't know if people were starved for a racing sim or if the visuals appealed in some way, or what it was, but cool mods are not gonna sell these kinda numbers from a pretty standard sim racer.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything, I like it, but I think it hit upon something irregular in the market to get those numbers.

I don't know if people were starved for a racing sim or if the visuals appealed in some way, or what it was, but cool mods are not gonna sell these kinda numbers from a pretty standard sim racer.
This is not a standard sim racer. The main programmer is like the John Carmack of simulating car physics.

The game has:

-industry leading physics simulations and handling models
-a developer that listens to feedback and is quick to improve their product, unlike the rfactor devs who left their game to rot for years
-excellent graphics at the time
-very good sound
-very good and scalable perfomance
-tons of content
-tons of licensed, iconic cars people all around the world actually cared for, unlike Automobilista which didn't have a lot more than cars nobody outside of Brazil would care about
-a very fair price, and fairly priced expansions
-unmatched moddability

Neo_game

The only sim in the same league is iRacing, which is the best sim, but of course it looks mediocre, isn't moddable, and is delivered via a very expensive subscription service and content packs.

iRacing definitely generates more revenue, and is the sim of choice for real life racing drivers, though.

I would put rfactor2 right up there as well but AC is the best and proper game as the rest is pretty much free update via modding community.

I mean on consoles you didn't really have a major sim contender for awhile, Forza was stalling, GTS was having a rough launch and also not on PC, and Project Cars was kneecapping itself.

I would assume the launch year timing, along with the timing of it's content and further promotion during slow times probably helped it a lot, especially given they listen to feedback and engaged with the players the whole time. Since then we have not seen any real sims to take anyone the last few years outside the recently released GT7 which has it's own controversy for a few months after launch.

Senua

Well deserved, brilliant physics and FFB, incredible modding community make this one of the all time greats!

Now if only it had a proper Gran Turismo 4 style career mode it would be perfection.

Klik

I went from PS4 playing Gran Turismo to this game on PC. The difference is MASSIVE. And with mods its night and day difference, physics, sound, ffb everything its just so much more satisfying and better than GT. Even console edition AC is nothing like PC version. If you like racing games, PC is a must!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
great game, but it plays like shit on a controller :(

mods are amazing, physics are better than GT & Forza, the game hits on all fronts. But unlike GT you NEED a racing wheel to truly enjoy the game. kind of hard for me to do so when i don't game on a desk

Last edited:
  • The game has been out since 2014
  • You can buy it for as low as 4 dollars
  • If this includes iOS version that's a free app

This is kind of nonsensical...

The first two points apply to many games (also you're missing context for the second) and the results aren't the same.

As for your last point,

So I doubt it was very successful if they took it down from the website, and then the store that quickly from launch of AC mobile.

Prekk

Neo Member
Assetto Corsa is my most played game in the last 10 years and the reason I bought a VR headset.
The 2024 sequel is the only game I genuinely look forward to.

The first two points apply to many games (also you're missing context for the second) and the results aren't the same.

As for your last point,

So I doubt it was very successful if they took it down from the website, and then the store that quickly from launch of AC mobile.

It was free, how many downloads it has versus how much revenue it generated have nothing to do with each other and if the free number is added to this, it makes it quite disingenuous.

Overall the point is context matters. Most console games don't sell for 4 dollars across multiple consoles for a large amount of time, so to directly compare this to other sims is kind of a crock of shit...

100 million in 2021 with 28 million copies, would mean it sold for an average of 3.5 gbp... literally says nothing...

Bragr

Banned
This is not a standard sim racer. The main programmer is like the John Carmack of simulating car physics.

The game has:

-industry leading physics simulations and handling models
-a developer that listens to feedback and is quick to improve their product, unlike the rfactor devs who left their game to rot for years
-excellent graphics at the time
-very good sound
-very good and scalable perfomance
-tons of content
-tons of licensed, iconic cars people all around the world actually cared for, unlike Automobilista which didn't have a lot more than cars nobody outside of Brazil would care about
-a very fair price, and fairly priced expansions
-unmatched moddability
Sure, it sounds and looks great. I do remember the exceptional sound design.

But that's nuances for hardcore fans.

Everything else, like the extremely bad campaign, is all just standard sim racing that's been copy-pasted for decades since Gran Turismo on Playstation 1.

And when you compare it to the sales of other sim racers, you have to scratch your head at 28 million, cause no racers sell that kinda numbers outside of Mario Kart, not even close.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
All hardcore sims do, controller is just so imprecise for this level of physics fidelity.
yeah, it sucks because the game looks so fun and the graphic mods/car mods look nice, but the lack of decent controller support, lack of campaign and my lack of car knowledge (i know a bit from Gran Turismo but nothing like your average car sim player) means that i don't really play the game much. how ironic, i love racing games yet i know nothing about cars....

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Sure, it sounds and looks great. I do remember the exceptional sound design.

But that's nuances for hardcore fans.

Everything else, like the extremely bad campaign, is all just standard sim racing that's been copy-pasted for decades since Gran Turismo on Playstation 1.

And when you compare it to the sales of other sim racers, you have to scratch your head at 28 million, cause no racers sell that kinda numbers outside of Mario Kart, not even close.
They're just two really really really really good games, outstanding games, that were sold on many platforms and filled a void of a good and affordable SIM, not simcade, titles, that hadn't been filled with a quality product since the days of GTR2 FIA.

Last edited:
It was free, how many downloads it has

Almost all data I can find shows less than 10k or 5k downloads before it was pulled. If it had many downloads and even a secent amount if in-app purchases I don't think they would have taken it down so quickly.

Overall the point is context matters. Most console games don't sell for 4 dollars across multiple consoles for a large amount of time,

Console game?

[/URL]

100 million in 2021 with 28 million copies, would mean it sold for an average of 3.5 gbp... literally says nothing...

Keep fighting the good fight my man.

StereoVsn

It's a great game if you are into more serious racing sims and the updated version has pretty decent visuals. Throw in a wheel/pedals setup and it's a pretty good experience.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I blame the modding community. PC games with good modding communities never die.
i mean shit, you seen what the modding community did to DOOM?

Mods should be an essential thing built into every PC game these days. imagine the legs Returnal or Spider-Man could have had if they were reworked to play better with mods

Patrick S.

Banned
How’s it stack up to GT7?
Well, GT7 has much higher production value, has incredible graphics and music and sound, etc. It's more "fun". But Assetto Corsa has much higher fidelity in everything it simulates, and you can mod it to the moon and back. But GT7 is much better for a casual playstyle.

nikos

It's probably the best sim ever, made infinitely better by mods. I've spent hundreds of hours driving Shutoko Revival Project alone. I've barely done any actual track racing in AC now that I think about it.

yurinka

Seems low sales considering that one of is versions is the iOS/Android mobile adaptation and that it's like a 9 years old game.

How’s it stack up to GT7?
GT7 was last year for PS.

Asseto Corsa was released in 2014 for PC and later PS, Xbox and mobile, it may have been given away for free or almost in several places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom