• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Sport currently has 8.2 million users

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The GT Sport will probably be the main title on PS5.
They are really focusing and being successful in eSport.

I hope PD can launch it in the first two years of the console to have a bigger impact.
Good stuff, so many interesting cars and tracks.

There is no free demo or trial.
So to have 8 million users that means the sales needs to be close... unless you believe there are 4 million duplicated accounts lol

BTW the 8.2m is outdated from mid 2019.
It is actually a bit over 9.4m users.
I don't really care about anything you're saying, it's common sense. You need multiple accounts to play local couch co-op, other people within a household will play on one system via separate accounts.

If ANYTHING has 8.2 million users (Sony's official number) it has no doubt sold in the region of ~4-5 million units.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't really care about anything you're saying, it's common sense. You need multiple accounts to play local couch co-op, other people within a household will play on one system via separate accounts.

If ANYTHING has 8.2 million users (Sony's official number) it has no doubt sold in the region of ~4-5 million units.
It is not common sense lol

Last UK know sales were 90%of the profiles.
Last JP know sales were 80% of the profiles.

US is probably close to UK than JP.

And local multiplayer account doesn’t become a user/profile... try to find ethomaz_br there lol my nephews uses that account to play local with the second controller.

BTW Sony/PD official numbers of profiles as Feb 12, 2020 is 9,481,623.

8.2m is official from 2019 way before holidays.

Facts > What you think.

Last edited:

gamstat

Neo Member
The json it come with a status value and 2 means the guy only played the Beta...

Cool, thank you.
So I checked a couple of users and it seems that beta players do not have GT Sports added to their accounts.

Which means my estimate is off by ~1M, not 0.4M. Good to know (and still more accurate than the official number).

Another thing: if https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search doesn't find some GT Sport players - e.g. https://my.playstation.com/profile/DA_Lubl/trophies/details/NPWR09921_00/default - does it mean they have changed their online IDs?

But the real question is: the user list on gran-turismo.com - are we 100% sure it's a full list that includes all PSN players? (Including family accounts and stuff)

One thing for sure, the official number is off by a huge margin.

Last edited:
Cool, thank you.
So I checked a couple of users and it seems that beta players DO NOT have GT Sports added to their accounts.

Which means my estimate is off by ~1M, not 0.4M. Good to know (and still more accurate than the official number).

Another thing: if https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search doesn't find some GT Sport players - i..e. https://my.playstation.com/profile/DA_Lubl/trophies/details/NPWR09921_00/default - does it mean they have changed their online IDs?

But the real question is: the user list on gran-turismo.com - are we 100% sure it's a full list that includes all PSN players? (Including family accounts and stuff)

Yes, the OFFICIAL number is off by a huge margin.... OR the methods in which third party profile trackers derive their information is wrong...

I wonder which is accurate...

587004965550293029.png

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, the OFFICIAL number is off by a huge margin.... OR the methods in which third party profile trackers derive their information is wrong...

587004965550293029.png
The slide data is old from mid 2019.
The Gran-turismo.com has all up to date official info you want.
Nobody is using data from 3rd-party estimating trackers.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Cool, thank you.
So I checked a couple of users and it seems that beta players do not have GT Sports added to their accounts.

Another thing: if https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=search doesn't find some GT Sport players - e.g. https://my.playstation.com/profile/DA_Lubl/trophies/details/NPWR09921_00/default - does it mean they have changed their online IDs?

Kudosprime site has a big issue.

“Statistics based on 96,584 players representing 9,658,400 players (9,302,700 of the final game) on 2020-02-10.Countries below 0.5% are not shown.”

They track 96k profiles data and extrapolate to fill all the data for 9.4m profiles.

You won’t find PSN IDs outside these 96k in their database but I believe now you tried to search it the site will extract the data at night so tomorrow that profile will be part of his pool of data.

Last edited:

gamstat

Neo Member

The thing is, the third party estimates and the official numbers have matched before (well, more or less, in my case).
So whether these methods suddenly broke all at once, or the GT Sport developer had a wrong slide.

ethomaz

Banned
The thing is, the third party estimates and the official numbers have matched before (well, more or less, in my case).
So whether these methods suddenly broke all at once, or the GT Sport developer had a wrong slide.
I’m updating my first 6 million profiles to see if there is something different because I know PD suspended some duplicated accounts last year.

The most probably is that the 8.2m are old data from last year before holidays.

It is funny some users (the usual xbots Afro and Dynamite) here fighting saying one data is official and the other not when both are official and even public to anybody check.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

587004965550293029.png
Both numbers can be accurate. The slide can be accurate as of a certain point in 2019 when it was made or updated while ethomaz ethomaz can be accurate as of today. I believe ethomaz has the up to date figure because his data is gotten from polyphony servers that you can check yourself. And he has been keeping track of it for a long time. For example, even Sony doesn't know the accurate number of PS2 they sold, they were corrected by a 3rd party over Twitter. They sold more than they originally thought.

Last edited:
Both numbers can be accurate. The slide can be accurate as of a certain point in 2019 when it was made or updated while ethomaz ethomaz can be accurate as of today. I believe ethomaz has the up to date figure because his data is gotten from polyphony servers that you can check yourself. And he has been keeping track of it for a long time. For example, even Sony doesn't know the accurate number of PS2 they sold, they were corrected by a 3rd party over Twitter. They sold more than they originally thought.
A broken clock is also right twice a day. The point is the intersections of numbers does not make something accurate. This isn't Sony the company stating anything, this is Polyphony Digital stating it, the subsidiary, the one who directly has access to these specific figures in real time.

In terms of your follow up statement I very much doubt the validity of that, they know precisely what they've sold in terms of console units. What is more likely is that an individual from Sony wasn't aware of the exact figure, and was therefore corrected.

True.

Remember when GOW 2018 users at 9.1 million while the game sold at ~5-6 million copies in August 2018.

ethomaz

Banned
A broken clock is also right twice a day. The point is the intersections of numbers does not make something accurate. This isn't Sony the company stating anything, this is Polyphony Digital stating it, the subsidiary, the one who directly has access to these specific figures in real time.

In terms of your follow up statement I very much doubt the validity of that, they know precisely what they've sold in terms of console units. What is more likely is that an individual from Sony wasn't aware of the exact figure, and was therefore corrected.
Broke clock?

it is the official Gran-turusmo.com data lol

That your big issue... you fight against public official data that anybody can check.

Last edited:
True.

Remember when GOW 2018 users at 9.1 million while the game sold at ~5-6 million copies in August 2018.

Source?

Or are you talking about the estimate based in trophy infochart where people did maths wrong?

+9 million players in 4 months, +5 million copies in 1 month, NOT in 4 months

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
+9 million players in 4 months, +5 million copies in 1 month, NOT in 4 months

This 9.1 million is a estimate based in a info graph with trophies with a big margin of error... like millions.

The same info graph showed number of GTS Platinum too and a site made a estimate over 8 million players... I corrected them when it was around 6 million at time.

Last edited:
This 9.1 million is a estimate based in a info graph with trophies with a big margin of error... like millions.

The same info graph showed number of GTS Platinum too and a site made a estimate over 8 million players... I corrected them when it was around 6 million at time.

Just saying that GOW has sold in +5 mil. copies in 1 month, not in 4 months.

Bloodborne 13.2M users and 4.2M copies sold

Detroid 10M users and 3M copies sold

HZD 18M users and 10M copies sold.

It's safe to say users number is just a PR talk 😎

Source?

You are just spreading bullshit.

These number were never talked in PR LOL

Did some google research for Detroit, Bloodborne and Horizon. Didn't find any PR statement about player numbers which policestationX had provided. Looks like talk out of his ass

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I found the source myself...

These 9.1m for GoW come from the same source as that GTS “estimate”.

At time GTS had about 6.8m players but the “estimate” claimed 7.5m based in that picture:

my-ps4-life-001-860x484.jpg

That trophy at time had 0.1% on PSN... so the estimates though 0.1% is 7545 players so 100% is 7.54m players.

The issue lies that 0.1% is a rounded number... it can be anything from 0.06% to 0.14%.

The actual % of the trophy was 0.11% that gives you 6.8m players marching Gran-turismo.com official data.

So the 0.01% difference was about 700k profiles difference in the final number.

GoW 9.1m used the same high margin of error way to find it.

VertigoOA

Banned
Nebulous stats. Without API data it’s difficult to get a good picture.

I do suspect because of the game’s core competitive design that active player retention is most likely the greatest of its competitors and maybe even series high.

Still expecting to see the game carried into next gen and maybe even a pc release. Pretty much think gaas GT is here to stay.

Last know figure.

GTS - 3.3M copies - 8.2M users
MK8 - 31M copies - ?? Users
Forza 7 - ?? copies - 10M users
Forza Horizon 4 - ?? copies - 12M users

Updated to OP.

ethomaz

Banned
Last know figure.

Updated to OP.
GTS copies is > 3.3m from Sony (depend how many units was shipped).
GTS users is ~9.4m official from GT s

MS from what I remember never give Forza Motorsport 7 number of users... 10 million was Forza Horizon 4.

Remember both FM7 and FH4 have free demo and trial... the others not.

FH4 and MK8 are unrelated to this thread too... they are arcade while the thread is a sim racing.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

What broken clock? The numbers are there for everyone to see. Polyphony is not obligated to talk about up to date numbers to the second. They have internal milestones they go by. These games sell everyday to point where it still charts from time to time in some regions.

And no these companies don't know exactly how many devices are sold to consumers. They rely on sales trackers like NPD etc. I can't be arsed to go searching for a tweet. Sony has used figures from VGChartz before even though they are notorious for being way off by couple of millions.

Tripolygon

Banned
Bloodborne 13.2M users and 4.2M copies sold

Detroid 10M users and 3M copies sold

HZD 18M users and 10M copies sold.

It's safe to say users number is just a PR talk 😎
This is not something i say lightly to people but you are so fucking dumb.

The 18 million users for Horizon you're talking about is actually 18 million thunderjaw kills. It is safe to say everything you just typed is made up or a number you are clearly mistaken about. I seldom advocate for thread privileges to be removed but you are actively making this forum worse with each thread you make.

Last edited:

Klayzer

This is not something i say lightly to people but you are so fucking dumb.

The 18 million users for Horizon you're talking about is actually 18 million thunderjaw kills. It is safe to say everything you just typed is made up or a number you are clearly mistaken about. I seldom advocate for thread privileges to be removed but you are actively making this forum worse with each thread you make.
Obvious alt of a banned X-follower is my guess. They all usually go by the same gameplan typically. Any gossip or article that is perceived as a negative for Sony, they're first to post a topic.

gamstat

Neo Member
These 9.1m for GoW come from the same source as that GTS “estimate”.
At time GTS had about 6.8m players but the “estimate” claimed 7.5m based in that picture:
That trophy at time had 0.1% on PSN... so the estimates though 0.1% is 7545 players so 100% is 7.54m players.

You missed the follow-ups, most figures became way more accurate.

UpyeBMm.jpg

4,129,147 / 62.6% = 6.6M players as of mid-November 2018.

Last edited:
Last know figure.

Updated to OP.

Forza 7 NEVER had that amount of users. NEVER!

Wtf you trying here, really? I mean, WTF Xbox fans are smoking all these years?

GTS copies is > 3.3m from Sony (depend how many units was shipped).
GTS users is ~9.4m official from GT s

MS from what I remember never give Forza Motorsport 7 number of users... 10 million was Forza Horizon 4.

Remember both FM7 and FH4 have free demo and trial... the others not.

FH4 and MK8 are unrelated to this thread too... they are arcade while the thread is a sim racing.

Yep.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I really dislike GT Sport, they should have made it more arcade-like.
what a fucking weird thing to say,
there are many things wrong with this game.

ONLINE HURRDURR

but not it needing to be more arcade-like.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Weird OP as I am not sure what it is trying to discuss... beyond trying to put down a game or show “concern” for it. I get user fan of X upset about Y concerning X, I get fan of Z happy and gloating about W regarding Z...

The non-fan of GT posting the n-th thread trying to paint GTS as a failure feels odd at best, console warrior-ish at worst... :confused:.

Last edited:

gamstat

Neo Member
Forza Horizon 3 ~13.2M users
Forza Horizon 4 ~16.5M
Forza Motorsport 5 ~14.7M
Forza Motorsport 6 ~10M
Forza Motorsport 7 ~4.6M

Includes those who played the trial version, doesn't include the demo version.

Top Bottom