• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grounded - X019 - Announce Trailer (Obsidian Entertainment)

EDMIX

Did not see something like that from Obsidian tbh

Agreed, but from what I'm reading its by some London Studio and Obsidian. Looking at it, its a no buy from me, looks like Obsidian helped sure, but clearly its not one of their RPG classics. I'm really hoping that this doesn't become the norm for this team, simply helping other teams make stuff like this.

I want them with that AAA budget making that AAA RPG! I'll wait til I see that from them. I'm ok with this help, IF they are still doing some big titles themselves ala Sony Santa Monica aka da helper studio.

This Sony Santa Monica helping Ready At Dawn on The Order 1886

DgBmJB2UEAA4OEz.jpg

Last edited:

Teslerum

Agreed, but from what I'm reading its by some London Studio and Obsidian.

What? No, this is fully internally by 13 people at Obsidian.
The conference where it got announced yesterday was in london, that might have got you confused.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Hopefully Microsoft doesnt decide to relegate Obsidian to crap projects like they did with Rare so many years ago. Doesn't matter if it's a small portion of the devs, they're still using Obsidian resources.

Teslerum

Hopefully Microsoft doesnt decide to relegate Obsidian to crap projects like they did with Rare so many years ago. Doesn't matter if it's a small portion of the devs, they're still using Obsidian resources.

And as mentioned this project was created before Microsoft bought Obsidian. They just let them continue making it. The 13 people involved want to make this game after coming tired of an rpg like Pillars 2. There's no reason to force them working on an rpg if they want a breather.

So, nobody relegated Obsidian here to do anything except give them room to work on a small side project.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Passion project started by the devs as something they are excited about ... neogaf: “oh awesome creative cool ill give it a go! “

MS buys them and continuous project.. neogaf: “lame not interested.. only in development because of game pass .. it sucks that Microsoft bought them and lets them be independant .. they should be making Halo instead”

nikolino840

For example, like every survival game, Grounded has hunger and thirst meters (you'll take damage if you let these deplete, though it will never kill you). But instead of finding a lake or river to drink from, you'll look at the blades of grass that tower above you like trees, find one with a flat globule of dew hanging from it, and punch it to knock the water loose so you can drink it. Food could be an insect you kill, slap on a spit, and cook over a fire.
"Everything you see is interactable in some way, and that's something we're really proud of," said director Adam Brennecke. "All the grass you see, all the foliage, all the rocks are interactable and can be used in crafting."
There's a nice sense of heft and physicality to these things in Grounded, conveyed through small details like how your character holds a chunk of grass "wood" after chopping it down, and how picking up more pieces makes them visually stack instead of just increasing a number in your inventory. You can throw anything you're holding, like your axe, which makes for an effective ranged attack and also makes these objects feel more real.

Hotspurr

Banned
Looks meh, mostly due to clunky animations. You'd think these days you could have games look like toy story and bring some life to the characters. But with a team of 13 that's understandable. Obsidian makes great games. Currently enjoying Dragon siege 3 in co-op.

CeeJay

The game might not be graphically appealing and has a bit of an "educational game" look to it but some of the ideas and concepts sounds interesting. A lot of AAA games have this super polished and realistic look but that beauty tends to be only skin deep with the majority of scenery being totally inert. I am willing to give Grounded a try if they are sacrificing graphical complexity in favour of richly interactive environments.

Fortnite looked stupid to tons of people too before it took off (after they added the BR mode). I'm not saying this game will be as successful as Fortnite but I can see the desire the take small risks (its a 13 dev team) and see if you capture lightning in a bottle.

Stuart360

If it wasnt for the stupid thirst and hunger elemant, i'd probably give this a try on PC, just because of the Honey i Shrunk the Kids vibe.
So many survival games on PC that i would like to try, but hate the thirst/hunger part.

Stitch

Gold Member

If it wasnt for the stupid thirst and hunger elemant, i'd probably give this a try on PC, just because of the Honey i Shrunk the Kids vibe.
So many survival games on PC that i would like to try, but hate the thirst/hunger part.

I think thirst/hunger aren't a bad idea for a survival game. The problem with all of these games is just that your character gets hungry every few minutes instead of like.. maybe 2 times a day.

Was interested till I saw it was first person.

It can also be played in 3rd Person

Last edited:

Flintty

I like the look of it. I loved Honey I shrunk the Kids when I was younger. I hope we get to ride Antie!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

This game looks like so much fun. Love the lighting and depth of field usage to really convey that shrunken down in a yard feel.

Don't love the Fortnight aesthetic, but it's not a big deal. Hyped to play this.

pr0cs

I like the idea of this, I for the most part like survival type games and this is a pretty cool take on the genre.
Kinda wish they had split screen as it would be fun to play with my kids local

Played for a little more than an hour. It's a cool gimmick but aside from that, it really doesn't do enough to set itself apart from other survival games in its current state.

Running into a spider in the middle of the night was pretty terrifying though, I must admit! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

MiguelItUp

I really love the aesthetic of it, just wish I was into survival and base building games. It's been pretty entertaining to watch though! Currently watching Lirik stream it.

I'll play this. It's made by obsidian, looks artistically and graphically nice, has a good sense of humour and isn't a super-serious 3rd person or a pointless shoot-bang

What's not to like?

Grinchy

Banned
edit - ok scratch that...twitch was defaulting to a lower than source resolution out of nowhere on me

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Is this crossplay with steam? If so ill buy a copy for my friend so we can co op. Gears 5 co op was great this looks perfect for 2;people to casually play and shoot the shit. Loved the demo just now played a couple hours. Greenberg is an idiot but he is like a broken clock is right time to time obsidian is the crown jewel of the new studios.

Top Bottom