• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grounded - X019 - Announce Trailer (Obsidian Entertainment)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Makes sense they'd do something small. Everything else is likely going to next gen at this point.

I wasn't very into it though.

Teslerum

Yeah i think Is Just a title just to produce an Xbox exclusive
I think made by a team of 30 people

Yes

Despite being developed by a relatively small 12-person team, Grounded features what Brennecke describes as a robust and realistic ecosystem. “It’s a huge ecosystem where the insect life is being simulated outside of the view of the player,” he says. “We want to make insects to behave like we all expect insects to behave. So an ant colony will send out scout ants to search for food, and will battle the player over food. They communicate through a pheromone system with other any colonies. And there’s a day / night cycle where this ecosystem is constantly changing. Things come out at night like giant spiders and fireflies.”

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
That looks fun.

It’s not innovative in the sense that movies have done this setting pretty often, but it is fresh for the gaming space.

I don’t mean to reignite old controversies, but hopefully I don’t have to be drowned in the developer’s weird ideological beliefs to enjoy this childlike fun. If so, I’ll probably check it out.

Teslerum

This is an absolute joke, I hope this is not the main game their other half of the team is making, gotta be an AAA open world RPG right?

As posted above its 12 people out of 200.

So yes. Except its not even a half. It's literary just a passion project based on a conversation about survival games:

“We sat in the office together, and we listed out all our fantasies for survival games, either ones that have been done before, or ones that could be new,” he said. “We’re just going through all these different kinds of settings; what if you’re in an Indian Jones type of world or something like that. How you survive the temple, or something like that.

They talked about being in one situation or another until one of them brought up shrinking.

“What if we’re shrunk down and had to survive in basically a backyard. And the breakaway said there was something here,” Brennecke said. “We started riffing back-and-forth, ideas you could find in this world. And immediately, as game designers, we said there’s a lot of stuff here to sink our teeth into, to flex our creative muscles. We shared that idea with a lot of people at the studio and studio leadership and they said, wow, that’s a lot of cool stuff.”

Last edited:
This was a depressing surprise. I was really excited to see what Obsidian had coming next, but geez, I'm not interested at all. I do hope for the best for Obsidian. I know every game doesn't have to be for me, but I hope they've got some more traditional RPG's coming up.

pr0cs

Looks cool to me, I enjoy survival games so something with a different spin could be fun.
Hopefully you can choose if you want to PvP or not, that's what killed a number of survival games for me

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Looks like that movie Epic. You know, the one that used Snow Patrol’s Lightning Strike to make it look more artsy than it really was.

Last edited:

splattered

Game looks really interesting cute and fun to play with my kids.

Just like Bleeding Edge this is a small but high quality passion project that some of these studios are working on while the actual majority of the studios are making huge triple A games.

You people are literally crapping on this for NO REASON.

"Waaah this isn't what I wanted to see pre-e3 so it has to be awful"

Really???

splattered splattered
Oh come on. When people think of Obsidian, they think RPGs and story. This game is not an RPG, and most likely doesn’t have a big story component. It’s pretty normal for people to crap on a studio jumping on board the survival game wagon. I mean, what’s the likelihood this even makes a dent in the market?

There you have it folks.

Obsidian develops a great game like Outer Worlds. Then gets bought by MS and within months they are knocking out a low effort title for Game Pass.

Such a shame.

Pallas

Gold Member
splattered splattered
Oh come on. When people think of Obsidian, they think RPGs and story. This game is not an RPG, and most likely doesn’t have a big story component. It’s pretty normal for people to crap on a studio jumping on board the survival game wagon. I mean, what’s the likelihood this even makes a dent in the market?

You expect them to announce their next RPG so soon after Outer Worlds was released? It’s made by a very small team of 13 people.

This is what they bought obsidian for? Fuck they're stupid. Rather have no game at all than waste resources on this garbage.

Did you not read all of the previous posts and instead jump to conclusions?

As posted above its 12 people out of 200.

So yes. Except its not even a half. It's literary just a passion project based on a conversation about survival games:
Lol this was in the works before MS acquired them, honestly just fuck off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pass for me. I'm not into cartoony games. But if the game looked like this, but play it.

How-to-Eradicate-Pharaoh-Ants-FB.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
How do you go from making the outer world's to this?

When you also consider that bleeding edge game from ninja thRory a worrying trend could be emerging here.

Mista

Banned
Not my type of games but respect to Obsidian for getting out of their comfort zone. I respect that very much when it happens

nikolino840

In a separate interview, Sawyer's Pillars pal Adam Brennecke, who's directing Grounded, told me: "Just like with Outer Worlds we have big RPGs being worked on right now. We have a lot of stuff being worked on right now." So I thought I'd ask Feargus Urquhart "how many?" at the end of his guided office walkaround tour.
"More than one, less than forty," he told me with a smile. "We're working on a number."
The Outer Worlds is included in that. A post-release plan hasn't been announced yet but there's still a team in The Outer Worlds corner working on something. Obsidian isn't leaving it behind in a rush to work on Microsoft projects.
"Actually it's the opposite," Urquhart said. "What's always been interesting about the independent developer before was: who was going to pay for support? If I'm not being paid for support by the publisher then [...] we have this weird thing of how do we do it?

Top Bottom