• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 6--As a gaming community is it possible that we may have collectively moved on?

FMX

With the overwhelming and sustained success of GTA 5--how much better can GTA 6 be? Will it hit as hard despite the timeframe? GTA 5 was announced in 2011 and released in 2013 it's now 2023 and the game is still a year away . Are we even the same community from the past. I am not saying that the game will bomb or anything but is there a chance that it might not be as big as it once was and if it's not would be the reason be that fact they they sat on game too long?

Roni

Gold Member
Kids love blowing shit up and killing virtual citizens and there's never a shortage of them. If anything, GTA6 might sell even more as publishers and console manufacturers have been doing a pretty good job of broadening the medium's audience.

Last edited:
I sometimes feel like the release cycles are made artificially longer just to create more hype and feed into the almighty FOMO.

Soon we will thank God on our bare knees that we lived to see the day GTA7 releases and joyfully part with $€£200,- to be logging in day one of this incredibly rare occasion. A real once in a lifetime opportunity.

M.W.

With the overwhelming and sustained success of GTA 5--how much better can GTA 6 be? Will it hit as hard despite the timeframe? GTA 5 was announced in 2011 and released in 2013 it's now 2023 and the game is still a year away . Are we even the same community from the past. I am not saying that the game will bomb or anything but is there a chance that it might not be as big as it once was and if it's not would be the reason be that fact they they sat on game too long?

A year away? I'd say we'll be lucky to have it by holiday 2025.

WTF even is a "gaming community" in this context?

I'm a gamer. I buy games I like. I don't consult the altar of the great gaming community supreme leader to inform my purchases.

I loved GTA V. Thus I will buy GTA VI.

WTF else is there to discuss?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
oblivion-tom-cruise.gif

With the weekly, monthly GTA VI rumors, "what we know" videos on Youtube....I'm gonna say no.

GTA 6 will be an event. Probably the greatest event of current console generation and maybe next generation depending on the release date. As long as it's good (85+ Metacritic), Take Two's GTA6 strategy will be the same as GTAV. I'm actually excited for the pop culture references Rockstar has in store for GATA6 - it's why these games are art. All of them have something to say about the times we're living in

Will break all records possible on day 1.

GTAV sold 11.3m units in just 24 hours on launch day for the PS3/360 versions, the PS4/Xbone version did a little bit better in the same timeframe.

And that’s was about 10 years ago.

If the game releases in 2024-2025 it will sell easily about 25m units in its first week.

Op im going to explain you why GTA sold 180 million and counting

Everytime people buy a console (or pc) they also need to buy games, and almost always is GTA V

A friend of mine own a VG store since the 90s and told me that, and he always put GTA with consoles in store

Also he explain me why physical is not dying and the Industry is gaslighting us with proofs, but thats another story

Guilty_AI

I gave up on rockstar already, their design feels so outdated. I don't doubt their games will still sell tons, but i won't be among the buyers anymore.

Only chance they'll ever get me back is if they make a good Midnight Club or Manhunt.

chlorate

Rockstar doesn’t have a lot of unexplored space to navigate with GTA6: we’ve already driven pretty much every possible vehicle and committed every possible felony. GTA Online is a repetitive pay-to-win TPS where the NPC enemies shred you instantly and you have to navigate a cumbersome menu to get your health/armor back. The guns all feel the same because none of them actually have any significant spread/bloom. The missions fail if you go even slightly off script. GTA: Online is utterly infested with cheaters of all varieties and it feels like more come back every time they do a ban wave.

But, despite all this, the game is some of the most fun you can have with three friends, probably because the world is set up to encourage hilariously memorable mishaps from players and emergent gameplay.

Success

Go actually play GTA Online and stop this boomer talk.

I am getting so much second hand embarrassment reading this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I moved on after GTA3. From the outside GTA seems like its literally never been more popular. I cant imagine 6 failing. Not sure why this is coming up lately.

Rockstar doesn’t have a lot of unexplored space to navigate with GTA6: we’ve already driven pretty much every possible vehicle and committed every possible felony.

There is alot of unexplored crime

We Dont create and sell drugs
We cant rape women (or man If thats your thing)
We cant make a slow and painfull torture
We cant shoot childrens in their face (or damage any children, because there are non)
Cant commit school shooting
Cant kidnap people, dismember them, and send them to their family If they Dont pay
Cant force women to use their anus and vagina, and use them to pass drugs
Cant kidnap women and have our own sexual traffiking network
Cant kidnap childrens and do the same but for pedo reasons

Thats a few examples

Metnut

My biggest hope for the industry is that GTA6 online floos in a major way. Sadly, there’s little chance of this happening.

DavidGzz

Even if us old fogies moved on, kids keep being born. Who's playing Roblox and Minecraft right now? GTA6 kids.

I'm not even kidding it will bring ps and Xbox servers to its knees , will probably be the biggest entertainment release of the last 20 30 years.
If it releases on ps5 series X and pc it will easily be 15 20 million on day 1.
GTA 5 after 10 years is still in best selling game of every month.
People will loose their minds with 6 mark my words

angrod14

Internet will blow up when GTA VI releases. Youtube and PSN servers will probably go down because of oversaturation.

Korso

This assumes that the gaming time-line moves with us... every year there are new gamers. The gaming landscape does not revolve around one generation of gamers. Mario and Zelda have proven this.

Toons

Sad, but all too true.

I mean I don't consider it sad. I think that game deserved to do its numbers. I'm not into the culture war stuff, and I don't think most of rhe audience cares enough to not buy it if its present. If the games fun and plays well; people will buy it. Plain and simple.

consoul

GTA6's first week sales would still be absolutely massive even if every review said it was a Cyberpunk 2077-style bug-ridden trainwreck clusterfuck.

GTA is a cultural phenomenon and gamers the world over will be there on day one no matter what.

There is alot of unexplored crime

We Dont create and sell drugs
We cant rape women (or man If thats your thing)
We cant make a slow and painfull torture
We cant shoot childrens in their face (or damage any children, because there are non)
Cant commit school shooting
Cant kidnap people, dismember them, and send them to their family If they Dont pay
Cant force women to use their anus and vagina, and use them to pass drugs
Cant kidnap women and have our own sexual traffiking network
Cant kidnap childrens and do the same but for pedo reasons

Thats a few examples

Dude wtf?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Its going to explosion in sales for sures GTA is the biggests in gamings histories I love the worlds buuuuuuts they need to fix the on foots and missions for me

Top Bottom