• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Deep Forest gameplay

Aenima

Blame it on the idiots that throw drive by troll comments like "FH5 looks like shit" that invite the footage comparisons
Do you mean posts like this right on page 2?

Woah, that looks shit! Seriously, wasn't GT always supposed to showcase the graphical prowess of the console hosting it? It looks a world apart from most of the PS5 big hitters. Not to mention Forza 5 or 6 or whatever sequel they're on these days.

Do you mean posts like this right on page 2?

Friday Movie GIF

ethomaz

Banned
Well coincidentally, on today's DF Halo analysis, they precisely demonstrate what's wrong/missing in GT7 environments (timestamped):

So like I said, hopefully that's something PD can address later on, PS5 should've way more than enough headroom to add this sort of AO compared to PS4/Pro versions.

He doesn’t even talk about GT lol
Are you making stuff?

Aenima

Be nice to see a comparison video to GT Sport. My memory maybe faulty but they look similar in my opinion as of right now.
It is identical cuz GT7 is pretty much built using GT Sport assets with enhanced visuals and new content. Biggest diferences i spot is the new lighting in GT7, better aliasing and more detail density in tracks. During replays biggest diference looks like the Ray-Traced reflections on top of everething else.

Still hard to compare GT Sport with GT7 during gameplay cuz most GT7 gameplay videos has been using new tracks. But this one already give an idea.

JimRyanGOAT

Driveclub eh?

I made this gif back when the game was shown at the September PS Conference. It looked extremely dated.

MAeLMe0.gif

Whats interesting is that the gif below shows how good this game can look. It is a prerendered sequence from the same trailer. Likely part of the game's intro. The PS5 SHOULD be able to do this in realtime.

bkEqHFw.gif

The lighting, the ray tracing, the almost CG quality assets. We could've been getting this in realtime instead of in some prerendered intro. But I guess we will now have to wait another 5 years for PD to release a next gen only game.
You wont get graphics like the bottom gif until game engines are built specifically for Next-Gen

Then the game itself is built from the ground up on that engine

Everything you see now is just scaled up from last gen engines

I feel like even the exclusives like R&C probably started development on previous-gen engines, with some extra emphasis on better lighting and using the IO

But the game itself was not built on a TRUE next-gen engine utilized specifically for the PS5

Digity

This is GT Sport on last gen hardware. Doesn't look good at all, right? And GT7 is absolutely not gonna look even slightly better on PS5, right?

People confuse good looking with realistic looking. Polyphony Digital has always gone for the latter, like it or not.

Real life can look boring sometimes but that's no fault of PD. The amount of detail from tracks that they capture is insane and I love it.

ethomaz

Banned
It is identical cuz GT7 is pretty much built using GT Sport assets with enhanced visuals and new content. Biggest diferences i spot is the new lighting in GT7, better aliasing and more detail density in tracks. During replays biggest diference looks like the Ray-Traced reflections on top of everething else.

Still hard to compare GT Sport with GT7 during gameplay cuz most GT7 gameplay videos has been using new tracks. But this one already give an idea.

He says identical…
And list several things different.

lol

arvfab

Banned

This is GT Sport on last gen hardware. Doesn't look good at all, right? And GT7 is absolutely not gonna look even slightly better on PS5, right?

People confuse good looking with realistic looking. Polyphony Digital has always gone for the latter, like it or not.

If this is not trolling, I don't know what is. Could you point out what's so outdated about GT7's visuals exactly?

I think video below looks better. Colors are more vibrant. And what's the matter with the trees in the upper video? They all look the same!

(/s if it wasn't obvious)

MastaKiiLA

If this is not trolling, I don't know what is. Could you point out what's so outdated about GT7's visuals exactly?

I haven't played GT in a long time. I didn't realize they nailed Spa. Looks like they did as good a job with it as they did with Nordschlief. Spa-Francorchamps in hands-down my favorite circuit on the F1 calendar, so I look forward to taking Eau Rouge and Raidillon flatout.

Last edited:

Melfice7

I haven't played GT in a long time. I didn't realize they nailed Spa. Looks like they did as good a job with it as they did with Nordschlief. Spa-Francorchamps in hands-down my favorite circuit on the F1 calendar, so I look forward to taking Eau Rouge and Raidillon flatout.

all real world tracks were already great looking replicas, people who arent racing enthusiasts think having waving trees or explosions happening at track side makes it more fun

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Same with a lot of people who get a TV professionally calibrated (not copying settings from a Youtube video) so many people think a calibrated TV looks dull because they see TVs in stores cranked to max brightness
Exac

people like more colorful = better graphics which is bs

Loope

I think inside the cockpit, animations, camera shake is much more realistic on GT7. FH5 looks more arcady just the handling and animation. I do like how the cock pit inside is reflected in the windshield glass on FH5. As for the foliage FH5 looks better, can't lie.
Why are people comparing an arcade racer with simcade? i don't get it. It's not the same thing at all.

xPikYx

Colorful is gamey, reallife is much less vibrant, that's why overcast wheater looks more real usually

ethomaz

Banned
Sometimes sure 😅
I have no ideia what are you talking about… maybe you like the more cartoonish and colorful way of DriveClub?

But graphically GTS looks better than DriveClub.

BTW gameplay wise it lacks variety and modes… I don’t bother with being arcardely but it really lacks options… maybe it is because I played the “free” PS+ version instead the paid one.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have no ideia what are you talking about… maybe you like the more cartoonish and colorful way of DriveClub?

But graphically GTS looks better than DriveClub.

BTW gameplay wise it lacks variety and modes… I don’t bother with being arcardely but it really lacks options… maybe it is because I played the “free” PS+ version instead the paid one.

It’s the weather effects.. and the color grading they look bat shit insane in driveclub.

damn dude even in your video.. driveclub looks a gen ahead.
Those colors 😎

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It’s the weather effects.. and the color grading they look bat shit insane in driveclub.

damn dude even in your video.. driveclub looks a gen ahead.
Those colors 😎
So do you like cartoonish and colorful look but that doesn't make it better.
The video clearly shows it one is looks better graphically.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So do you like cartoonish and colorful look but that doesn't make it better.
You played the game on a decent plasma or oled? Because those colors do not look cartoonish. Still the best color work to date in a racing game imo.
Damn even talking about it makes me want to do some laps in driveclub on the racing chair..

That zonda is so much fun in the game

ethomaz

Banned
You played the game on a decent plasma or oled? Because those colors do not look cartoonish. Still the best color work to date in a racing game imo.
Damn even talking about it makes me want to do some laps in driveclub on the racing chair..

That zonda is so much fun in the game
In both.
I had a PLASMA for most PS4 generation and now I have an OLED.

It is too colorful and cartoonish… that is the art style they choose… it is the opposite of real life colors and look.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
People saying this looks like shit having me thinking half this forum are fucking blind. Did we watch the same video? Go watch it in 4K on YouTube. It looks amazing.

GT sport already looks amazing with a life like visual style, upgrading that to 4k/60fps with dynamic weather and dynamic time of day is probably going to eat up most of what the PS5 can do (nothing to complain about though!). Games like Forza and driveclub might look better to some but they look like games and don't have the same realistic visuals.

Last edited:

kevm3

GT's problem visually are the environments, which don't look that great. Forza has better environments but the look of the driver turning is super twitchy. GT looks much better in that regard.

i think its pretty amazing that you can make a game like Gran Turismo 6 with less than 512MB of RAM, and now they are making Gran Turismo 7 with 13+ GB of GDDR6 RAM. They should implement FidelityFX so you can get 120fps and room for almost full Ray tracing, HDR

benzy

I made this gif back when the game was shown at the September PS Conference. It looked extremely dated.

MAeLMe0.gif

Whats interesting is that the gif below shows how good this game can look. It is a prerendered sequence from the same trailer. Likely part of the game's intro. The PS5 SHOULD be able to do this in realtime.

bkEqHFw.gif

The lighting, the ray tracing, the almost CG quality assets. We could've been getting this in realtime instead of in some prerendered intro. But I guess we will now have to wait another 5 years for PD to release a next gen only game.

Pretty sure that reveal trailer footage of Trial Mountain as shown in the top gif was still heavily WIP and looks to be missing AO in shaded regions which makes it look pretty flat. From that same reveal footage we also got this terrible looking scene in beginning pre-rendered portion of the trailer. I think it was pretty obviously wip.

The bottom gif shows the car going through more favorable lighting and even showcases the window dash reflections. The actual track assets (of Nurburgring) in that footage are pretty much straight ports from GTSport.

This is GTSport gameplay in similar ideal conditions which looks better than that top Trial Mountain gif and more akin to the bottom one.

vVSYayJ.gif

E8upzIc.gif

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Exac

people like more colorful = better graphics which is bs
Desaturated colors are also not always realistic, there are saturated colors in real life especially in tropical countries. Also overcast lighting and weather is the easiest way to achieve a realistic look. Even Forza Motorsport 5 did it on a 1.2tf console at launch at 1080p60fps. Its easy to fool people when you watch it from a low quality video or gif. The moment you play it on your screen you will start noticing the low details in the environment (especially in GTS where there is no motion blur in 4K mode). Thats the reason why those so called realistic looking games are 99% in overcast dark lighting condition where there is almost 0 shadows or light bounces. GTS has amazing lighting most of the time but even the lighting can't save its low detailed environments. They need to up the details to match there good lighting. We have seen some improvements in the environments in GT7 but we don't now 100% if it will translate to gameplay or if its only for replay and photomode.

Top Bottom