• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am disappointed to say the least. They did not deliver. None of the games they showed last year in CG form were at the show.

- Fable
- Perfect Dark
- State of Decay
- Everwild
- Forza 7
- Avowed
- Hellblade 2

Instead we got a bunch more CG or in engine trailers in Starfield and this new Bethesda Arcane game. It's like they dont learn.

Forza Horizon 5 was the game of the show. Environments looked amazing but the city and lighting looked fairly cross gen. No fancy destruction either. I wouldnt be surprised if this is also on last gen consoles even though Phil said its designed from the ground up on next gen consoles (Where have we heard that before.)

The rest of it was just a lot of fluff. Stalker looked the best out of the lot, but looks like metro on PC. Not a lot of next gen stuff. I am just very disappointed by both first party publishers. Angry with Sony, but mostly just disappointed by MS who are honest but they just cant seem to deliver even with 23 studios. I wished Bluepoint and KojiPro had gone to Microsoft instead of Sony after Sonys cross gen stance, but now I am not sure. MS just doesnt know how to manage their studios.

The Last Night Replaced was amazing. Fuck era.

Gonna have it to give it a C.

Renozokii

They had only one great game and it was Forza. So that tells you a lot about their conference.

Halo? So they delay the game to improve the campaign and a year later they show us multiplayer instead, these guys are genius.
I was so sure they’d have a comparison or similar to area to the first demo I hadn’t even considered they would just show a cutscene. You delayed your game by a year to fix the visuals. But then you don’t give us any measurable way to compare to the old demo? Ridiculous.

Kokoloko85

Not enough gameplay on the exclusive games. Was mostly cgi for the newly announced stuff.

Horizon looked good. Halo looks good but Im more of a campaign player.

Not the KO that Xbox needed but was decent.
C - 7/10

anthony2690

Banned
Rewatching trailers in 4k now, as the stream quality wasn't the best for me.

But I'm so hyped for Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 (honestly no racing game, comes even remotely close to it)

And the sea of thieves expansion is such a genuine surprise.

Also people can finally get past the denial phase of the Bethesda games now too.

Whilst the launch line up was not the best, I'm probably going to be playing more games than ever in a consoles first year (1st & 3rd party)

Really happy :)

pratyush

Good mix of games but not a "make a statement" kind of show that those insider were promising. They have studio so they will have games but nothing really stood out. Stalker 2 is the only one which interested me but that is multiplat. Not interested in racing game so forza doesn't interest me. And they showed only a teaser for Starfield. Halo MP looked fun but nothing from SP campaign even after delaying for over a year. Buying studio is one thing but maintaining high quality output is another.

This E3 was better than before but still it's not anything of Sony 2016 quality. Good show nonetheless.

graywolf323

depends on if I'm grading on a curve or not?

compared to their last several E3s this would be a B, otherwise I'd say a C

Pantz

An A for what they managed after a covid year. But really a B compared to what could have been.

MrPotato

all i am asking is gameplays, not cgi.
B- being generous
5d4vwg.jpg

FrozenFlame

B. It was entertaining but nothing mind blowing. I would give an A if they had Starfield actual gameplay or something new/big announcement. Stalker looked better than I though, although, it still requires some time in the oven.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
B

Good show with AAA games being day 1 on gamepass.

Forza horizon 5 is beautiful everyone should watch the official gameplay demo on 4K

Not many surprises and it's expected because of the pandemic

Overall solid show

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I definitely wouldn't have ended the showcase on RedFall CGI trailer tho I do like Arkane, that announcement wasn't even close to the best trailers Xbox had.

Overall though, I thought this was the best Xbox conference in a long ass time once you combined the gamepass announcements. I lost track of all the games that looked cool, will try to make another post with the games. Halo Infinite looked a lot better.

If I had to give it a grade right now it would be a B+. I'm going to look through the games again to highlight what I liked.

They showed what I wanted to see. Infinite, Horizon 5, and Flight Sim. Confirmed Starfield as exclusive and she a little light on what it is, the SoT drop for Pirates of the Caribbean was huge for me, plus showing Stalker and others.

A rating as far as I’m concerned.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im more excited for the games they didnt show.

Perfect Dark
Hellblade 2
Avowed

All no shows.

come on man...

SJRB

Gold Member
B- for sure. Solid line-up, too many empty teaser trailers like Outer World andContraband, some cool shit like Battlefield and Forza.

Lacked megatons.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Depends on your standards. With the e3 being so next year or later heavy it’ll mean Xbox fans from launch 2020 to end of year 2021 only get 2-3 first parties which is pretty ridiculous. And how can you like the bullshots and cgi? I mean cmon with our worlds 2. Not even a generic 2022 or 2023 release time frame. That’s another game added to the list of Microsoft announcements with no gameplay or release anywhere on the horizon. Stalker 2 was not gameplay. Starfield still having no gameplay. I thought the show sucked. I don’t need to be marketed to for games coming at an unspecified time somewhere in the future.
To the end of 2021 they will have launched Gears Tactics, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite.

arvfab

Banned
As a mainly single-player gamer, not interested in GamePass, I cannot give more than C, and that's only because of some interesting Indies they've shown.

So timed exclusives are cool again, I guess?

martino

B
global remarks :
  • the diversity was good overall a little too much fps and they still lack japan games especially exclusive ones if they want a chance to attract this audience (important for europe)
  • ms is the place to be if you want next gen realistic visuals this year.

for me :
  • i'm in for replaced and stil curious for halo not because of visuals and that's all for me.
  • i was surprised by BF6... they choose to push scale and dynamisn of the levels, a vital part of the licence. not for me but for me they opt for next gen where it counts.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
A B considering we are on the pandemic and releases are delayed. Hopefully that redfall game has a strong single player campaign.

But I would have loved some character action game, MS needs more of those.

McCheese

If I had to pay for those game, maybe 3 or 4 of interest. But with Gamepass I think I'm going to give most of what they showed today a shot, so a B from me.

They needed a megaton announcement that they just didn't have to get an A, or a mind blowing Halo showing.

Renozokii

To the end of 2021 they will have launched Gears Tactics, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite
Correct me if I’m wrong but psychonauts 2 and flight sim weren’t developed in house. Pyschonauts I guess technically but I mean it’s coming to PlayStation for a reason.

Last edited:
As expected I suppose.
It's always difficult to judge their games on shows like this because it's not been a strongpoint of theirs for years now. Part of my ongoing concern for Micrososft is that I'm no longer sure that top quality games are their priority now that GamePass seems to be more about the amount of games rather than the quality of them.
Out of the exclusives Flight Simulator and Forza Horizon look really exciting to be but they are the two titles that I bought a Series X for, nothing else did much for me that isn't available elsewhere.
It was improvement over last year's though.

C

A ton of first person games which are not to my tastes. A lot of CGI trailers. The indie stuff there was a few things I liked.Halo and Forza again which I understand.

I’m not blown away tho, they are not doing it for me. It’s partly my fault, I want their games to be like Sony’s a bit more and it’s likely my misguided view and passion for Xbox is way off base.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Torn between B and C.

Personally, it's a "C". The games I was looking forward to underwhelmed me.

No Halo campaign footage felt tone deaf. At best. And I'm rooting for this game.
Stalker 2 failed to show what makes it interesting.
Arkane's showing didnt appeal to me.
Again, this is personal.

On the other hand, they brought a lot of firepower with GamePass. I hope that's recognized. I was surprised by the amount of "launch exclusives" that were available on GP, day one.
And there were some surprise showings. "Replaced" and "Party Animals" appealed to me.

I think, generally speaking, Xbox is showing they have a great ecosystem. Plenty of awesome looking games at a fantastic value are right around the corner. I'd easily recommend this console to a more or less "casual gamer."
As a hardcore fan of games though, I'm starting to look forward to getting a PS5, where there are more experiences that appeal directly to me and my tastes.

You have to have the Xbox for backwards compatibility though, imo. It really is a treat. Splinter Cell and Dead Space are better than ever.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
It was good. Showed why gamepass is a must have. So many titles and so much content, all there to just pick from.

Free Halo MP will be popular and fun. SOT looks fun, forza amazing, B4B will be really fun too I think. Stalker will be good.

No one huge game that blows everything else away but just a lot of quality content. I'm more of a multiplayer person so theres a lot to like here.

Riky

$MSFT
Pretty amazing, Starfield looked something special, classic Halo multiplayer at 120fps and Forza Horizon 5 along with Flight Simulator raised the console graphical bar.
The fact I've got Gamepass Ultimate until 2024 and haven't got to pay any extra for all that is mind blowing.

Top Bottom