• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

ErichWK

Finished it. Awesome awesome awesome awesome!! Please don't cancel this!! Also watch the real GLOW Documentary on Netflix afterwards. It's good.

Finished it. Awesome awesome awesome awesome!! Please don't cancel this!! Also watch the real GLOW Documentary on Netflix afterwards. It's good.
Yeah, the documentary is good to realise which wrestlers seemed inspired by which. Zoya seemed inspired by Matilda the Hun, Machu Picchu's family on the Guerreras, Debbie on Ashley. Then GLOW became an actual sitcom lmao.

Yeah, the documentary is good to realise which wrestlers seemed inspired by which. Zoya seemed inspired by Matilda the Hun, Machu Picchu's family on the Guerreras, Debbie on Ashley. Then GLOW became an actual sitcom lmao.

What no, Zoya is
Ninotchka.

Repost of mine with some edits after further thought

Zoya the Destoryer - Colonel Ninotchka
Liberty Bell - Americana (there were a few USA characters including one named Liberty, but Americana I think is the best fit)
Machu Pichu - Mount Fiji
The Beatdown Bittys - The Housewives
Junk Chain - Justice
Melrose - Hollywood/MTV
Beirut - Palestina
Britannica - Zelda the Brain/Godiva mashup
The She Wolf - Dementia
Vicky Viking - Matilda the Hun

No clear analog
Scab
Fortune Cookie
The Welfare Queen

Brashnir

What no, Zoya is
Ninotchka.

Repost of mine with some edits after further thought

Zoya the Destoryer - Colonel Ninotchka
Liberty Bell - Americana (there were a few USA characters including one named Liberty, but Americana I think is the best fit)
Machu Pichu - Mount Fiji
The Beatdown Bittys - The Housewives
Junk Chain - Justice
Melrose - Hollywood/MTV
Beirut - Palestina
Britannica - Zelda the Brain/Godiva mashup
The She Wolf - Dementia
Vicky Viking - Matilda the Hun

No clear analog
Scab
Fortune Cookie
The Welfare Queen

Not so sure on Viking = Matilda. I can see where you're coming from but it's not really a great comparison. She physically resembles Daisy, her Olympian-who-throws-things background seems like a nod to Mt. Fiji, but I'm not sure she has a real clear analog.

She did have the best gag in the season, though, when they stole her gimmick from her. I wonder if she'll go through a few gimmicks if the show gets picked up for more seasons.

I also wonder if the Bittys will switch to another gimmick in the future, like the originals did.

That
Brooke Hogan
cameo in episode 8. Damn she's starting to look old.

My wife gave me the weirdest look when I suddenly started singing along to
Dare
during the training montage.

Nose Master

Middle / second half of this goes in way too hard on the drama, imo.

Still good, but the balance gets wrecked later on. First three episodes are by far the best.

Matty77

The new WTF is up and Marc talks to Jenji Kohan if anyone's interested.

He also addresses the playing himself criticism in his beginning monologue.

Maximo

I really liked it wasn't too serious or drama filled 30-35 minutes each episode feels like it doesn't drag its feet, just a fun middle of the ground show with a interesting concept that does it justice.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm on episode 6 or 7 now .
Love what I am seeing so far really funny and amusing my only gripe is the episodes are far too short. I think 45 mins each would be the sweet spot as it would let the story progress more To me anyway. as soon as it looks like they are getting somewhere - end credits - lucky that Netflix is based on a binge watch model.

Sam is one of the funniest characters I have seen in a while his don't give a shot attitude and yeah yeah kind of delivery is brilliant.

All the casting is brilliant

Kaladin

Loving this show so far. I'm about 5 episodes in and it is fun seeing the wrestler cameos and knowing most of them.

I was curious enough to check out the pilot episode of GLOW on Youtube and boy.....that was bad. It's one of those things that you know will be bad, but it's so bad it is hilarious and you can't turn it off because you want to see how bad it really gets.

I don't care for wrestling, should i watch this?
Yes.

I couldn't care less about wrestling and thought it was one of the stupidest thing that people would ever watch on TV

This show is great, and also actually made understand why people would watch wrestling. But it's not really about wrestling

gun_haver

I don't think the show should have been longer, 35 mins for an average ep was just right. Never got bored, always felt up for the next one. There is some stuff I wish they'd done stories on instead though. I'd have liked to see more of the women struggling (in a comedic way) with being poor. I just put on ep 1/2 and I forgot that at the start, most of these women had no money. Rhonda was living in a car and Ruth couldn't pay for a milkshake. Yeah they get the free accommodation at the motel but I wish they'd spent some time dwelling on that instead of some of the uninteresting drama near the end.

Also Cherry and Sam's relationship kinda disappears - they knew each other but Cherry isn't really in it very much after the first few episodes. She stood out at first. She isn't really a funny character though, just capable and normal, so maybe they ran out of ideas.

Still good, but the balance gets wrecked later on. First three episodes are by far the best.

Yeah, I basically agree. First two eps are the funniest, and it ends strong but eps 6-9 have stories I didn't like much and it isn't as funny, cos they aren't even trying to be funny too much of the time but just telling middling dramatic stories that don't have anything to do with the creation of the show. Also it starts doing a thing where the weirdo characters are made out to be too normal, like Sheila. It's supposed to be heartwarming but it just came off as kinda corny to me, everybody is best friends. Sure that's nice but it isn't very funny.

They should take note of the drama-drift and make an effort to lighten it up in season 2.

Davey Cakes

Two episodes in and I'm definitely on board. I like the cast.

Anyone who hasn't seen Marc Maron in anything else, check out Maron on IFC.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Finished it yesterday. Really a great show. Such a tight story instead of the chaotic mush OITNB became. Wouldn't be surprised if the creative/production team is from the earlier seasons.

I'll have to watch the GLOW docu on netflix later today.

Finished it last night. My wife and I both loved it. I thought that the
abortion
might drag the pace and tone of this show down when it was revealed, but thankfully it did not. Sam and Mel were my favorite characters by far. I also loved the 30 minute time slot, and I hope more shows start going this route.

I still have no idea why Justine
stole her father's video camera.
That was still left unanswered unless I missed something.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I was just impressed how much she Sarah Conner'd up.
NNvFma0.png

She put it in
Rhonda's locker to try and implicate her in the theft. She was trying to break her father and her up.

OK. I did see that part. I just didn't think that was the only reason, cause she doesn't seem to really care what he did when they meet after the reveal.

Finished it yesterday, overall pretty awesome and I'm sure it'll get a second season. Minor nitpicks here and there about moves and certain things used but nothing major. Also is a kind of sad reminder of how fucked women's wrestling was in the United States due to sexist promoters and especially the Fabulous Moolah and the politics involved there.

I think she looks more like Natalie Imbruglia.

Yeah, that's who she reminds me of too, maybe somewhere in between Natalie and her youngest sister.

Polari

Yeah agreed. Kind of petered out a bit from the mid-point. First three episodes were really fun though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just finished it really enjoyed the finale

Oh yeah I had goose bumps when
she jumped off the top ropes
the camera shot before that.

I can see season two will have more matches but will still have the crazy drama in between.

Would be awesome if they can get more wrestling cameos.
Looking forward to season 2

kiguel182

Just finished and really liked it. The pacing was good, the characters interesting and I was invested in most everyone. Good performances overall too.

30 minutes was the sweet spot for the episodes. Long enough to tell a story but not too long that it dragged. I like wrestling so that was a bonus and it definetly treated it with respect and showed why it’s so fun but it isn’t really about wrestling and you can watch it if you don’t like it. You will probably appreciate more actually.

kiguel182

Oh shit, Welfare Queen was Kharma? She looked familiar but I didn’t connect the dots. She has some good comedic chops. Good stuff.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I'm listening to the WTF podcast with Allison Brie & Betty Gilpin(liberty bell, incompetent nurse in Nurse Jackie) now. Marc says hes doing podcast with most of the creative team over the next bunch of shows.

Oh shit, Welfare Queen was Kharma? She looked familiar but I didn’t connect the dots. She has some good comedic chops. Good stuff.
My brother did extra work during the fundraiser scene, and said most people were crying from holding back laughter at her improv speech. And she just kept pushing further.

Belfast

I don't think the show should have been longer, 35 mins for an average ep was just right. Never got bored, always felt up for the next one. There is some stuff I wish they'd done stories on instead though. I'd have liked to see more of the women struggling (in a comedic way) with being poor. I just put on ep 1/2 and I forgot that at the start, most of these women had no money. Rhonda was living in a car and Ruth couldn't pay for a milkshake. Yeah they get the free accommodation at the motel but I wish they'd spent some time dwelling on that instead of some of the uninteresting drama near the end.

Also Cherry and Sam's relationship kinda disappears - they knew each other but Cherry isn't really in it very much after the first few episodes. She stood out at first. She isn't really a funny character though, just capable and normal, so maybe they ran out of ideas.

Yeah, I basically agree. First two eps are the funniest, and it ends strong but eps 6-9 have stories I didn't like much and it isn't as funny, cos they aren't even trying to be funny too much of the time but just telling middling dramatic stories that don't have anything to do with the creation of the show. Also it starts doing a thing where the weirdo characters are made out to be too normal, like Sheila. It's supposed to be heartwarming but it just came off as kinda corny to me, everybody is best friends. Sure that's nice but it isn't very funny.

They should take note of the drama-drift and make an effort to lighten it up in season 2.

Based on the documentary, seems a lot of the actual GLOW girls were best friends, at least while they were doing the show. It isn't that far-fetched.

If this goes four or five seasons, basically until GLOW ended I wonder I wonder if they'd touch what happened to Mt. Fuji and her family with Machu Picchu.

_Rob_

I went into this on Monday with no history with wrestling, no idea what Glow even was; I was totally a blank slate. It definitely won me over (just finished ep 9, will be watching the finale this evening). Surprisingly human characters, a decent amount of humour and
a twist I didn't expect towards the end.
They also nailed the 80's aesthetic, if I'd have been watching it on VHS I would totally have bought it as authentic.

Also, reading through this thread I've only just realised it was based on a real thing; cool.

Sotha Sil

I knew nothing about wrestling beforehand, and I love how the show makes you understand the pure joy of make-believe in very meta ways at time.

Ending spoilers :
The end fight Liberty Belle twist is a perfect example. We know it's coming, even if we don't know how - and it takes nothing away from the reveal.

You know the narrative layers are there, you know they are all fake, and it's OK. Wrestling is about riding the wave of willing suspension of disbelief. At least, that's what I took from this gem of a show.

caliph95

Randomly found this while looking on metacritic and love this show, haven't watch wrestling in a while and never watched women wrestling or care that much about the behind the scenes.

I love this show and is probably unless i forgot something my fave new show of the year.

Top Bottom