• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
me and the wife decided to give it a shot, 2 eps in. it's fucking great.

I hope I'm not in an echo chamber with it but it seems like it's good really good momentum/good reviews so S2 is possible

Definitely more than The Get Down

I think it's a huge hit already. Everyone I know is talking about it. My guess is they quickly order a season 2.
I had literally zero interest in this before yesterday. I didn't even know it existed and it's not the kind of show I would usually watch

It's so much fun, and I'm really enjoying it. Glad I decided to check out this thread because I would have never watched it otherwise

Matty77

I'm sorry but wasn't Marc Maron's character simply Marc Maron himself? Idk if it's deserving of praise, but he was a standout if you never actually followed him...

Like OITNB, the supporting cast really made the show worth watching.
And Ruth is more likable than Piper
Have you ever watched Maron? Where he plays himself? It took four seasons for him to be comfortable playing himself so it is an achievement. Doesn't matter how close a character is to you if you cannot act, so his performance is actually quite an achievement.

Have you ever watched Maron? Where he plays himself? It took four seasons for him to be comfortable playing himself so it is an achievement. Doesn't matter how close a character is to you if you cannot act, so his performance is actually quite an achievement.

Yeah, agreed. I really liked the show Maron, but it took him some time to get comfortable with acting.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm sorry but wasn't Marc Maron's character simply Marc Maron himself? Idk if it's deserving of praise, but he was a standout if you never actually followed him...

Like OITNB, the supporting cast really made the show worth watching.
And Ruth is more likable than Piper

I don't think Marc Maron is a drug abusing 1980s hack director who uses a casting couch. But I mean I'll cede to you.

gun_haver

I think the wrestling angle is gonna hurt it as much as help it, though. Possibly hurt it more. My girlfriend just dismissed it out of hand when she heard it was about wrestling. Probably a lot of people will do that, not even making the distinction whether it is a doc or scripted series, and even if they do, just saying nah no wrestling. Wrestling is still an albatross - which it kind of should be, but GLOW is pretty good so it's a shame.

I think the wrestling angle is gonna hurt it as much as help it, though. Possibly hurt it more. My girlfriend just dismissed it out of hand when she heard it was about wrestling. Probably a lot of people will do that, not even making the distinction whether it is a doc or scripted series, and even if they do, just saying nah no wrestling. Wrestling is still an albatross - which it kind of should be, but GLOW is pretty good so it's a shame.

Well, i have nothing with fake wrestling. Always hated that dumb silly shit. Flabbergasted about why american people are so eager to watch that fake stuff.
This however is not about wrestling. It's about women taking control of their lives.

It's like 5% wrestling and 95% putting together a TV show

It's a soap opera.

Oh my god it's a soap opera

I know how to do this

*downs tequila*

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah my sister, who I think would really like this show, wasn't going to watch it because I was about wrestling. I think I convinced her to give it a try.

ErichWK

So, I don't really fawn over actresses or fall in love or do that creepy shit with people I see on shows/movies...

...but wtf..

Alison Brie is like the most hypnotizing person on the entire planet I can't stop gawking.

Ep 7

omg Bash going from yelling at Carmen to being super concerned when he realized something was wrong = q.q

WTF KLU KLUX KLAN

The most surprising thing about the actors here is how much range Marc Maron has. I thought he was just a well-known comedy podcaster and he didn't stretch himself too much in his own TV show, but here he's gotta do a lot and he kills it.

The most surprising thing about the actors here is how much range Marc Maron has. I thought he was just a well-known comedy podcaster and he didn't stretch himself too much in his own TV show, but here he's gotta do a lot and he kills it.
Seriously. All I knew him from was WTF, and he is so good in this.

Figgles

So, I don't really fawn over actresses or fall in love or do that creepy shit with people I see on shows/movies...

...but wtf..

Alison Brie is like the most hypnotizing person on the entire planet I can't stop gawking.

Kuntar? Really? She is a vision of hideousness and her hair is the color of shit.

Tankard

Finished it.

Absolutely loved this series, it has its flaws but i had so much fun even though i dislike wrestling.
Characters are almost all interesting to me, knowing people involved in this show you gotta know they will still show you a lot about all their lives.

MoeDabs

I know it's been mentioned but I really recommend the GLOW Documentary on Netflix. Seeing the obvious inspirations for the Netflix series is fun, and Mt.Fiji might be my new favorite person. All around a fantastic companion piece to the Netflix series.

GrapeApes

...but wtf..

I think the show does a good job of making her plain looking. Normally I'd be swooning for her but they really made her down on this show. Will say she gets better looking as the show goes on. Also her personality gets better as the show goes on.

Tom Nook

WTF KLU KLUX KLAN

It gets the audience a reaction.

Finished the series and enjoyed a lot.

Episode 10:

GLOW is in Impact Wrestling level in hiring plants.

The Dad appearing for her match was expected. I was hoping for more Brodus and Carlito appearances.

LOL at the fuck finish. Sam is correct to make the finish for what it was: make the audience come back for more. Debbie throws a hissy fit of the screw job. Money is the chase, Debbie.

Hopefully, there will be a Season 2.

kingocfs

I only have episode 10, the last one, left to watch now.

It's been a good show. Not a great show. It was funnier at the start. I don't like the Jenji Cohan style of making all the women best friends when it comes down to it. It feels kind of forced - there are moments when the women kind of pull together or even just hang out when they don't have to and I don't buy that some of these women would even like each other a little bit. It feels like it's written from the perspective of one type of woman, and they just kind of assume all women are really like that and they give everyone different aesthetics and ethnicities to cover up how samey the characters really are. The show can actually be pretty cloying - nowhere near as cloying as OITNB can be at times, but it's still there and it annoys me.

This pretty much nails my thoughts but I like it more than you do. I had no idea the people behind OITNB were behind this until I watched a few eps. I had a sneaking suspicion, but as soon as
they all moved into the motel
it was confirmed.

It's definitely not as campy, but I'm a bit concerned about its staying power. OITNB fell off hard after the first season, IMO.

This pretty much nails my thoughts but I like it more than you do. I had no idea the people behind OITNB were behind this until I watched a few eps. I had a sneaking suspicion, but as soon as
they all moved into the motel
it was confirmed.

It's definitely not as campy, but I'm a bit concerned about its staying power. OITNB fell off hard after the first season, IMO.
That's something that happened with the real GLOW, though there it was even a bit crazier IIRC with the heels and faces being separated and not supposed to interact.

That's something that happened with the real GLOW, though there it was even a bit crazier IIRC with the heels and faces being separated and not supposed to interact.
This was very common in the old days of pro wrestling, particularly in the south.

Even though it puts some hair on the plot, GLOW isn't that far off from how some wrestling promotions actually worked lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It would be weird and misleading to keep the in ring names while fictionalizing the people behind them.
Why did they fictionalize them at all? I don't know the production history behind the show. The original people didn't want to be involved?

It honestly just feels like he stepped out of Maron and back into the 80s though. lol

The funny part is on the podcast, he said people have told him that he's just acting like himself on the show and he's like, "I'm not that bad... right?" lol

Damn, this show is good. If there's no second season I will cancel my netflix subscription. Okay, I won't do that but I'm gonna be pissed.

Top Bottom