• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Roboculus

Just finished watching the whole season and I thought it was great!

I am loving these 30/35 min episodes. And 10 of them. Getting abit tired of these Netflix shows with 13 episodes wich are 1 hour. Except for House of Cards.

Yeah I thought the pacing was pretty good.

mlclmtckr

Banned
This is 100% most likely what happened.

It's not what happened. OITNB was created by Jenji Kohan, like Weeds was. GLOW was made by two people who used to work on Kohan shows.

So while Orange did lose some talent to GLOW, it's not like the same exact people just decided to work harder on one than on the other. The two shows have different showrunners/creators.

Tall4Life

Absolutely loved the show. Awesome that it was about 30 minutes per episode too, I have too many other 1 hr+ episode shows to watch.

First two episodes were kind of whack in their humor, like the first episode of OITNB S5, but it got a ton better later.

Oddduck

Just started watching. But this feels like they gave up on Orange is the New Black and say. This is the new one guys. Love it tho.

This is 100% most likely what happened.

It's not what happened. OITNB was created by Jenji Kohan, like Weeds was. GLOW was made by two people who used to work on Kohan shows.

So while Orange did lose some talent to GLOW, it's not like the same exact people just decided to work harder on one than on the other. The two shows have different showrunners/creators.

Liz Flahive (co-creator/showrunner) never worked on any Jenji Kohan shows. She worked on Nurse Jackie and Homeland.

Carly Mensche (co-creator/showrunner) was only involved with one season of Orange is the New Black -- Season 4. Season 4 was considered to be one of OINTB's strongest seasons. It has an 86 on Metacritic.

Flahive and Mensche co-wrote 4 out of 10 episodes of GLOW: Episodes 1, 2, 3, and 10.

Nick Jones left OINTB to write for GLOW. He was a writer, story editor, and supervising producer for Seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 of OITNB.

Jones wrote two episodes of GLOW: Episodes 4 and 8.

Rachel Shukert wrote episodes 5 and 7 of GLOW. She never worked on any Jenji Kohan shows before. Previously she was a writer for Supergirl.

Ep 2 was my least favorite one
because Melrose should probably be dead after pulling that womb goof shit

It's funny how I remember them pre-release talking about how Ruth does something that will make people hate her for the entire season and I was thinking there was no way that would be possible

fucking your best friend's husband? That'll do it though

Ep 2 was my least favorite one
because Melrose should probably be dead after pulling that womb goof shit

It's funny how I remember them pre-release talking about how Ruth does something that will make people hate her for the entire season and I was thinking there was no way that would be possible

fucking your best friend's husband? That'll do it though

Yeah. That one thing.

I love Ruth, think she's the best one of the group, but I'm always thinking "Why, Ruth? Why?!"

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. That one thing.

I love Ruth, think she's the best one of the group, but I'm always thinking "Why, Ruth? Why?!"

My boyfriend liked the show except for Ruth. He can't handle awkward things and found watching her antics difficult without cringing himself into oblivion.

I found her the right blend of adorkable and self righteous asshole.

Lots of shades of Piper from OITNB which makes sense considering the shows pedigree.

5taquitos

My boyfriend liked the show except for Ruth. He can't handle awkward things and found watching her antics difficult without cringing himself into oblivion.

Lots of shades of Piper from OITNB which makes sense considering the shows pedigree.
Kinda funny since Brie's nudity and sex scene early on were likely written specifically to attract boyfriends to watch the show.

Ruth is actually interesting though. Piper is the most boring part of OITNB.

LakeEarth

Took me far too long to realize the asian girl "Fortune Cookie" was Knives Chau from Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Should've recognized her instantly considering how many times I've watched that movie.

Took me far too long to realize the asian girl "Fortune Cookie" was Knives Chau from Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Should've recognized her instantly considering how many times I've watched that movie.

Yes. And Bash is Piz from Veronica Mars. Who I hated in that role but loved loved in Glow. Especially his friendship with Maccu Picchu.

Mauddib

Banned
LOVED the show. Binged it over two days. Such a good watch.

And while I did enjoy the 30 minute format, it definitely felt like this came at the cost of deeper character development. This show grapples (lol) with a few complicated topics and at times it feels like it doesn't have enough time per episode to do those topics justice.

Edit: I should add that Wolf's arc was pretty goddamned lame. Wasn't into that at all.

Sean C

I'll be interested to see what
Justine
does next season.
She doesn't wrestle in the final episode, and she says she's not really interested in it, but she's still hanging out with the ladies when they're waiting to watch the show. Given her banter with Sam about his directing, I wonder if we'll see her become more involved in the production aspects of GLOW, rather than as a performer?

DrMungo

I only have episode 10, the last one, left to watch now.

It's been a good show. Not a great show. It was funnier at the start. I don't like the Jenji Cohan style of making all the women best friends when it comes down to it. It feels kind of forced - there are moments when the women kind of pull together or even just hang out when they don't have to and I don't buy that some of these women would even like each other a little bit. It feels like it's written from the perspective of one type of woman, and they just kind of assume all women are really like that and they give everyone different aesthetics and ethnicities to cover up how samey the characters really are. The show can actually be pretty cloying - nowhere near as cloying as OITNB can be at times, but it's still there and it annoys me.

I wish the show was a bit more fun than it has been the past couple of episodes. Spoilers for ep 8:
Ruth getting pregnant and having an abortion didn't really do anything for mel. I just thought 'oh, okay we're doing that storyline now.'. I mean, it isn't fun, it isn't really interesting how they do it, just kind of boilerplate. I did at least appreciate that it was brief, she made her mind up quickly and we got a nice bonding scene between her and Sam. But it just felt a bit rote - this is a show about women so we better do an abortion storyline very fast. Also, Debbie's martial drama is boring. I don't give a fuck about her husband, I want to see the show get put together and the relationships between the women and the producers. I don't want long scenes where they try to 'make it work'. I feel like these two storylines came at the expense of the stuff I really liked about the first few episodes.

Those are just some complaints though. Overall I like the show and I like Marc Maron and Alison Brie's performances very much. They're holding it all together - Betty Gilpin is good too, but I feel like her character is stuck in a bit of a rut right now and hasn't been as well defined - maybe in season 2. In season 2, I'd also like a bit more focus on the actual making of the show and the motivations of the other women, most of them still feel like cartoon characters.
In regards to the spoilered section. This is meant to portray Ruth as a steely character. The decision she makes is never easy for anyone but she decisively settles the issue. Especially how she says she's "a wrestler".

I'm still dyin at ep 8
where Jenny bursts out of the bathroom because she heard the word birthday, stupid sword and all

That ep is where she finally rose to the rank of Team Mom

LionPride

Banned
Kia Stevens going from actual pro wrestler to "Welfare Queen" is great. Loved her as Amazing Kong, love her here

Also Carlito is big as fuck

WHEN THE FUCK DID A-RY GET THIS BIG????

Brashnir

In regards to the spoilered section. This is meant to portray Ruth as a steely character. The decision she makes is never easy for anyone but she decisively settles the issue. Especially how she says she's "a wrestler".

I took it more as a recognition that all three players in that situation have consequences to deal with for their actions.

Alienfan

Loving this show so much, with 30min episodes the show feels really well paced and tight (unlike Orange and most Netflix shows). I kind of want to get into Wrestling if it's this fun to watch

Ended up unexpectedly binge-watching this with some friends today.

I really enjoyed it, and I'd be pretty excited for a second season now that the show has finally been established.

Boogs31

Finished this last night. Really enjoyed it. Wouldn't call it amazing but still really good. I felt like the pilot was so great the rest of the show just couldn't quite live up to that lofty standard. Marc Maron was pretty great throughout, seemed like that role was written with him in mind.

TripOpt55

I finished this over the weekend. Enjoyed it. The characters pretty much across the board grew on me over the series. The way everything came together in the final episode was great. Really well paced too. Never dragged. I think the shorter episodes were a good call for this show.

LionPride

Banned
Really really enjoyed it, smiled during them actually putting on the show

Got heated when ol girl got spat on, shit wrestlin fans can do that shit today and think it's aokay

Bash is the greatest*sniff*

As are all of the women, I felt like I liked them more than Sam actually

ZeroX03

Banned
Read the AV Club reviews, there's some speculation that Bash was gay/bi which I didn't pick up on but kind of makes sense? His mother hints at his life 'choices', he's got a live-in man servant and despite being a man in his position of power in the 80s I don't think he ever hits on any of the ladies (in stark comparison to Sam).

His true love certainly seems to be wrestling and coke though.

We're out of two week spoiler purgatory now, yeah?

LionPride

Banned
Read the AV Club reviews, there's some speculation that Bash was gay/bi which I didn't pick up on but kind of makes sense? His mother hints at his life 'choices', he's got a live-in man servant and despite being a man in his position of power in the 80s I don't think he ever hits on any of the ladies (in stark comparison to Sam).

His true love certainly seems to be wrestling and coke though.

We're out of two week spoiler purgatory now, yeah?
Oh I thought Bash was gay the entire time because the Man-Servant dude seemed like he was there for everything Bash wanted. Everything. Plus ya know, never skeeving on any of the women.

Bash is great. Man just loves his wrestling stereotypes, coke, and adventures he goes on while on coke *sniff*

I can't get a good read on Bash tbh, I thought he was just gonna be pervy money mark promoter but they made him one of the most endearing people on the show

Ep 9 spoilers
him reciting along with his mom's speech about how wrestling is pure trash hit hard, because it's very clear that it's a very big point of disappointment in her eyes, but he loves it too much to let it go

Indelible

I really enjoyed this series, it was fun all the way through which can't be said for most Netflix shows. Really hope this gets renewed for Season 2 and we see how ridiculous GLOW really gets.

Sotha Sil

Bash is quite obviously gay/bi, there are many hints, like his over-the-top attachment to his live-in bulter ("You can't have my butler!") to his reaction to the dandy wrestler they're watching on tape being called gay (or something similar). Might be wrong, we'll see!

I only started this yesterday but I've already watched 7 episodes. It's really good. Great acting, fun style, excellent production values, well-written characters and fun wrestling scenes.

cr0w

Old Member
Sat down to watch this with my wife over the long weekend, think we're about halfway through. It's definitely gotten funnier as it goes along. I was crying last night while they were doing the videotaped character promos. The one that finally got me going was, 'I'm like a good fiber cereal, I'll make you shit your pants!'

Blackhead

Redarse
Yoooo. This is goood show. I still don't care for wrestling but I like this show a lot. I ended up binging the whole thing. Reminds me of UnReal in some ways. I hope this continues the story without jumping the shark like that did. Looking forward to season 2

Holy shit, this show was amazing. I think it overtook Stranger Things as my favorite Netflix venture, and it's definitely one of the better shows I've watched in recent history. Also surprised that this was made by the Orange Is The New Black people. Didn't quite enjoy that show, and had to give up on it after a while. But this was just absolutely incredible to me. Really looking forward to a season 2, and I'm definitely going for a rewatch sometime soon, which I rarely do.

It's also a very lean show in my opinion. Which is one thing that kind of bothered me: I felt that it was sort of too lean. I wished there were just a couple more episodes, or maybe 10 more minutes per episode or something like that. Everything worked, and I didn't feel dissatisfied with how everything tied together by the end, so I guess I just wished there was simply more of it.

Can anyone identify that epic symphonic theme that was playing at the very end of episode 7 ("Live Studio Audience," after Rhonda saves the day with her ridiculous rapping)? It seemed really familiar, but I couldn't place it. After that Stan Bush Transformers deep cut, I thought it might be from an 80s fantasy movie, something like Red Sonja or Conan the Barbarian, but I can't find a track listing that says about it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did the actresses do most of the wrestling moves themselves?

Mostly, yes. They had the actresses do a few weeks of wrestling boot camp so they could learn all the moves in the show. They used stunt doubles for wides and stand ins, which wasn't so much because the actresses were incapable, but so they wouldn't be worn down by doing it over and over.

They also mentioned in interviews it's much easier to shoot realistic looking wrestling when it isn't live. They can just repeat it until they nail it, and it's all choreographed to be as safe as possible anyway.

Everything just being a complete shitshow is what makes the show good imo. Binged it with my GF, and she was sad that the last episode really got the whole show going.
Ruth talking with a Russian accent got annoying af after 10 minutes. Yea she’s awkward, but Jesus it really was bringing me down during the episodes were she decided to stay in character like 24/7

dsp

Gave this a watch over the last couple of days. When Bash showed up, I expected him to be a stereotypical douche, but he's fucking adorable.

Top Bottom