• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

How in the hell are they getting a difference of $167k? And considering it's just the difference, the full price tag would be even higher?

Aren't State schools $5-15k a year for residents? How much does an Ivy League degree cost?

EDIT: Looks like some are more. I am Canadian, and all of our major universities within a province are about the same cost thanks to government subsidies.

How in the hell are they getting a difference of $167k? And considering it's just the difference, the full price tag would be even higher?

No clue. A rough look at full costs of attendance over at College Data shows $66K for U Penn and $42K for Texas A&M out-of-state. So, $24K difference per year. If you were in-state at Texas A&M that's almost another $20K off.

EDIT: That's it. Texas A&M in-state ($24K) vs. U Penn ($66K). 4 years = $168K.

Zoe

Sorry, I was reading that totally wrong--thought it was trying to say that A&M would be more expensive.

But why would someone out of state want to go to A&M...

\m/

Ouch, not a flattering look.

Seriously.

The white parents in Johns Creek, who in the same breath decry the police killings of unarmed African Americans, do not hesitate to tell me they do not want their children measured against Asians during the critical four years of grades that will make up the bulk of college application materials. This white fragility informs their decisions to insulate themselves from the “racial stress” of living next to Asians by moving to a different suburb.

Stand and fight, god damn it!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I feel like if you switched Asians with whites, and whites with blacks, this whole discussion would take on a pretty different look.

Neo C.

I am baffled by these threads. Are you gleefully suggesting that Asians are just genetically smarter than white people, or what are you even trying to say?

It has nothing to do with genetics, but it's a fact that Asians are successful in academics. Our problem is what happens after graduation though, we still need to break some glass ceilings Hillary style I guess.

but what I'm actually trying to say is that we should stop using that stereotype of tiger moms pushing their kids through extra classes for A+. I guess they are some of them, especially in regions with fucked up school system, but most Asians I personally know succeeded in school without much help. It's only logical considering some studies (I read them here in Switzerland) show that extra classes aren't effective at all.

SRG01

It has nothing to do with genetics, but it's a fact that Asians are successful in academics. Our problem is what happens after graduation though, we still need to break some glass ceilings Hillary style I guess.

There is an actual term dubbed the 'bamboo ceiling' too :(

linko9

Only 21 percent of Hmong Americans have a high school degree compared to the U.S. average of 28 percent

Is this correct? Unfortunately didn't provide a source for these figures, but both are shocking to me. Apparently the graduation rate in 2011-12 was 80% across America, so I feel like this must be an error.

I feel like if you switched Asians with whites, and whites with blacks, this whole discussion would take on a pretty different look.

The fuck does this even mean

Why are you trying to suggest that black people run away from majority-white schools/areas to avoid having their children's educational ability look mediocre by comparison

rtcn63

Is this correct? Unfortunately didn't provide a source for these figures, but both are shocking to me. Apparently the graduation rate in 2011-12 was 80% across America, so I feel like this must be an error.

Growing up with Southeast Asians, just graduating high school automatically makes you marriage material. Drugs, gangs, incarcerations, suicides- not making it past 18 is sadly a very big thing.

No clue. A rough look at full costs of attendance over at College Data shows $66K for U Penn and $42K for Texas A&M out-of-state. So, $24K difference per year. If you were in-state at Texas A&M that's almost another $20K off.

EDIT: That's it. Texas A&M in-state ($24K) vs. U Penn ($66K). 4 years = $168K.

Most elite private colleges have extremely generous financial aid. Unless your parents are 1%ers then you're not going to be paying anywhere near the sticker price for tuition.

Penn is tuition free for all students whose parents make less than $90,000 a year. Students whose parents make less than $40,000 a year get free room and board as well.

mdubs

Banned
Maybe instead of leaving, parents should start sending their kids to Saturday school (math + another language), piano / other instrument lessons, and after school tutoring starting at 4 years old too (many people I grew up with did this to compete). Might be something to consider

SRG01

It's not. Cyclical poverty within ethnic minorities is a very real problem.

The sad part is that these communities and the poverty within are often invisible to the middle and upper classes. People literally don't know that these conditions exist within their cities because they never see or interact with them.

KingV

Maybe instead of leaving, parents should start sending their kids to Saturday school (math + another language), piano / other instrument lessons, and after school tutoring starting at 4 years old too (many people I grew up with did this to compete). Might be something to consider

Frankly, it's probably cheaper to move.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Really, they are used to being lazy and getting things handed to them. Mediocrity has always worked for them, except when it doesn't.

Holy crap, other ignorant fools have used the exact same words you did for other ethnic groups as well when deciding to paint everyone with the same brush. The "welfare queen" paranoia for example.

No word has to be changed and it still matches that level of stupidity, fascinating.

Llyranor

Huh? A huge chunk of the Chinese population immigrated here as poverty-level laborers during American/Canadian expansionist periods, as well as other waves of blue-collar workers from the 60s onwards. The same applies for Japanese and Korean populations as well, but in different socio-political scenarios.

The movement of super-rich East-Asian populations into North America is actually a very recent phenomenon.
Don't forget all the ultra-rich boat people that had to give up everything they had to escape the war!

n64coder

Very interesting thread. My town is one of the tops in Massachusetts so we have a lot of Asians who move here for the excellent school system. So a lot of my daughters' friends are Asians so they definitely enjoy getting ready access to Chinese/Indian cuisine & culture.

you dont need to. just ask on here. there's plenty that went through it.

So what do you think of the experience? Did you enjoy it? Do you wish you had more time for reading/video games/sports?

It's not even extra work really. 90% of my tutoring time was helping with homework or studying for a test that you would be (or should be) doing anyhow.

In my town, there are a bunch of math schools (Russian School of Mathmatics, Math Academy) where parents send their kids to after school programs for enrichment. I don't think it's tutoring but a way for them to learn more math sooner. This is good but the only drawback I see is that the kids might be bored in regular school math because they already covered the stuff.

I have that same mixed feelings. On the one hand, I want my kid to be well-educated and value education. On the other hand, I want them to be a kid and not grow up having to start piano lessons at age 5 in some sort of advanced college prep game (unless of course she expresses an interest in playing piano).

I don't really like the Midwest for me, but I'm glad I live in sort of a sleep Midwest city for that reason.

Having a child doing very well in academics does not mean that they will do well in life. I think a big part of being successful in life/career is having good social skills and knowing how to communicate/negotiate. I wonder if kids who are 100% focused on academics will suffer in this area? My oldest daughter is very smart so we never sent her for extra learning but instead tried to better her social skills through different activities. She has definitely made great improvements but will probably never be a people person like my other daughter.

But in my experience, participating in those high levels of academics and competitiveness prepares you for college! I tell people that I lost more sleep in high school than I did in college which shocks them since I majored in computer engineering technologies. But because of being in that high school, I found the first two years of college to be a breeze.

Interesting. I heard about this from some of the parents at my kids' schools.

platocplx

In light of the election. I think this article is more relevant than ever with how people view race in America from a wide spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom