• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What social group (clique) were you in in High School?

Tschumi

I went to hs in Beijing.. I lived in the city, an hour away from all the walled compounds surrounding my school where everyone else lived, so it was easier to make friends with locals in the city, so i was a bit of a loner.

... Didn't bother me much, the friends i made in the city founded a t-shirt company with me, and i was dating and bedding much older girls while my fellow students were still hot and bothered about clueless teens~

I was on Varsity sports teams and won first place in school sports carnivals, so really although i didn't enjoy highschool, it didn't mess me up so bad. WoW is what ultimately buggered me up but well :) glad i clawed my way outta that hole eventually..

That said, had a few good friends who i would play games with on weekends and summer holidays.. Tales of Symphonia on the gcn, EvE online.. those were special times.

To this day the only time in my adult life when i stopped depending on games for emotional support was when i was about 20, making businesses, meeting girls, working part time in the industry i would eventually go to uni for. Looking forward to getting that back!

i was a "goth" apparently. early 2000's i was into stuff like slipknot, linkin park, sum 41, metallica, etc. then started listening to a lot of punk/rock/emo.

my hair was spikey and i grew it out. these were some one the looks i went for:

That's not goth my good bro, that's emo. Lackaday~

Last edited by a moderator:
It was Germany in the late 80ies, me being 13 years old, I was some uncool computer kid hanging out with other uncool computer kids that got picked on by the cool kids at school. Fortunately one dude who was two years older I knew through another computer nerd kid got me into skateboarding and punk rock, and a year later I was full blown skate punk with dread locks who went to concerts of US hardcore bands of the time that were visiting my town. Also girls suddenly showed interest in me.

Suddenly I was one of the cool kids. Weird how that worked.
Watching "Hawk" in Cobra Kai reminded me a bit about my own kind of transformations, though not that extreme off course... : D still had to chuckle seeing this.

I am eternally thankful to that dude who showed me the light, and we still occasionally hang out and go skateboarding together, some 30 years later.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My high school was pretty chill, there was basically just one huge social group and only the antisocial people didn't get along. Every party each weekend had like 50 to 75 people. My circle of friends was massive. Jocks, skaters, the surfers, hip hop heads, metal lovers, the punk rock girls, literally everyone hung out together.

Edit: oh, to answer the direct question, I wasn't really anything. I played a little sports in freshman and sophomore years, I surfed a little so I hung out with that crowd on occasion, I was in some AP classes and programs so I hung with the kids who would go onto be lawyers and doctors (one of my friend's father was literally the superintendent of schools), I was all over the place. Mostly just an average kid I suppose.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played basketball and baseball but I wasn't a jerk, I played video games and magic the gathering, but I wasn't a nerd. I was just myself and hung out with whoever I wanted to. I also wasn't very popular in my opinion, I was new to the area and merely tolerated by the people that had grown up in the area.

We did have seats at the lunch table reserved for "The Men on the End" because we were the consistent starters on the basketball team.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I was the jock who hung out at the "nerds" table. Less drama than the "popular" tables, smarter than the "jock" tables, cuter girls and way better conversations. Plus this was when CoD was at its peak of quality so because I always hung out with the "nerds" I always had a full premade squad on the weekends to carry me in S&D.

God I miss those days.

Birdo

Banned
Gamer Nerd (NES era).

You younger lot have no idea how hard we had it back then :messenger_grinning_smiling: Everyone hated on you. Especially girls.

Orpheum

I was never among the cool ones but i had my circle of friends i hung out with every day. We're all friends to this day and most of them came back working in our home town after studying abroad or other cities as we're now pushing the age of 30. It's great to have them all around again, it's like old times

We can't take as much booze as we used to in our early 20's though lol

Rival

Gold Member
My high school was small and I hung out with mostly everyone except the skanks. I was in band, sports, and on the student council. I was more preppy than jock. High school was actually a really great experience for me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
“Cliques” weren’t there when I was in high school I’m always intrigued of someone that falls into one of the “clique” categories especially in today’s team based, innovation, design, crazed tech world.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My high schools weren't that clique-ish to be honest. My last high school was mostly segregated by ethnicity. But even so you had some mixing and intermingling

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
Screen-Shot-2019-04-02-at-2.42.51-PM-1.png

But dudes... and broke

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Metal heads

It was a good group to be in bc some of those dude were big mother fucker, like 6’ 4” 250 lbs big, so nobody ever fucked with us. We partied in an old abandoned property with a big garage and an apartment attached, shotgunning Budweiser through milk jugs cut in half and jamming for hours. Miss those crazy mfs

Karmic Raze

I didn’t really have a clique. Just a best friend, some people I associated with, and yeah. That’s about it. Pretty boring.

INC

Popular wasteman clubbing crowd

My year book i was cock of the North, so a dickhead basically

Last edited:
Top Bottom