• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What social group (clique) were you in in High School?

quickwhips

I was really into the punk seen but I had a job and responsibilities since my mom was divorced and I started working at 14. I remember basically wearing a tie every day as I had to go work at a grocery store after school and even though I dyed my hair i was always polite and well behaved. I hated Sundays as after church each person in line seemed to pick me out and hand me tracks about God. The only bad I ever did was probably sneaking packs of cigarettes from the grocery store so I could smoke on my breaks. I loved Punk Rock music...I still do but I'm not so much about anarchy any longer. :D SO I guess i was just a big poser.

appaws

Banned
Yeah I guess so but we're not all black.

Edit: I always assumed project kids were black?

For the most part. Very poor whites tend to live in trailer parks in rural areas. Government apartment complexes, what we call “projects” are mostly an urban minority thing.

appaws

Banned
I was really into the punk seen but I had a job and responsibilities since my mom was divorced and I started working at 14. I remember basically wearing a tie every day as I had to go work at a grocery store after school and even though I dyed my hair i was always polite and well behaved. I hated Sundays as after church each person in line seemed to pick me out and hand me tracks about God. The only bad I ever did was probably sneaking packs of cigarettes from the grocery store so I could smoke on my breaks. I loved Punk Rock music...I still do but I'm not so much about anarchy any longer. :D SO I guess i was just a big poser.

The music is as awesome as ever...but we all get old. Now I’m that old guy in the back at shows drinking beers.

JimiNutz

Banned
For the most part. Very poor whites tend to live in trailer parks in rural areas. Government apartment complexes, what we call “projects” are mostly an urban minority thing.

Yeah that's how I imagined it in my head.

Council estates in the UK are a bit different then.

In the UK, especially London, they are a mix of mostly black and Asian (Indian/Pakistan not Chinese/Korean) with a fair few whites as well.
They are generally large tower blocks with loads of flats and in the 80s and 90s they were complete shit holes. Piss and shit in the lifts, syringes and used condoms in the corridors. Ah sweet childhood memories.

I was in the loner group able to be friends with people from any group, but I was never actually part of a group. I’ve always had one great friend and a bunch of people I just know and are cool with.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned

tumblr_miwlglnDbz1s5hh54o2_500.gif

Nymphae

Banned
Punk rock pit stoner. Had friends across all the social groups though, I did well academically. I'd smoke a joint before going to after school philosophy courses with the uber-brown nosers.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Pretty much a loner musician.

I hung out in the music and chorus rooms during before, during lunch, and after school playing piano. Was on and off with guitars and percussion in a jazz band. Long before, during High School, and still as a family man pretty big on classic anime. Hung out with some youth groups and they set me up with my first apartment a year after I graduated (the same apartment where this picture was taken).

What's changed. I migrated to another country, got married, have a house, don't play my instruments as much, workaholic (and enjoy it), and started dressing like an adult (no offense if you're into buying from Hollister, American Eagle, Aero, etc). Biggest difference being that I'm actually pretty social now and would never fit back into that loner personality I had 14-odd years ago.

pAc9vPz.jpg

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Hung out with nerds until I got kicked out over something trivial. Spent a few months on my own before finding another group who was less book smart. But this group was into video games (this was late PS1 era transitioning to PS2 era).
I was barely at school – I left with no qualifications – so a common interest in video games among other things helped to maintain my friendships for the remaining years.

What did the nerds kick you out for ? Sh!tted on jrpgs ??

more of a clique surfer. had acquaintances in each group but just a few good friends who weren’t really associated with anything.

poodaddy

I hung out with pretty much everyone. Not to say I was popular, I absolutely wasn't, but I got along with pretty much all types of people. I cycled between several different "cliques" when it came to where I sat at breakfast and lunch. Usually between the "goths and freaks" table, the "rednecks" table, and the "preps" table. Suppose I probably spent more time with the rednecks and goths and freaks than anyone, but it's hard to say. What's funny is that I didn't personally identify with or empathize with any of these groups. I was a fat, (at the time), metal head gamer who liked drumming and weight training, which basically meant if you weren't a prick then I liked you.

Breakage

What did the nerds kick you out for ? Sh!tted on jrpgs ??
Hah, nah. One of them used a bottle of fake blood and some clever acting to simulate a nose bleed (or some kind of serious injury) to gain sympathy from a female teacher he had a crush on.
When he was sent to the medical room, I told the teacher he was making it all up and that the blood was fake. She confronted him when he returned. He was forced to admit that he was a liar and was told off, which made him look stupid in front of her and the rest of the class.
For some reason, he took it personally and used it to make my life a misery after that. The rest of the group sided with him. I eventually got fed up of the negative aura within the group and left.

Picture it, 1996, 10 of us, straight out of a fucking movie, Metallica, 2Pac, and Wolfpac t-shirts, roaming the halls, pushing nerds, flipping over food trays, JNCO Jean's, braids, tattoos.

You hear the squeak of sneakers in the gymnasium. You cast open the gym doors, only to be met with a monsoon of basketballs soaring through the air, beaming nerds in the head, left and right. The girls, oh the tasty girls, and you just know they were watching exclusively you. My god, what an incredible time to be alive.

Last edited:
I got along with everyone. I think it was because of my hair throughout jr. high and high school.

FkROOZ6.png

No joke, it took me two hours to get it all nice and spiky like that. Every week day. Nowadays I just do an undercut.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I was class clown. The jock. The computer nerd. Valedictorian. Most likely to succeed. Chess club. I was home schooled.

I truly feel that the high school experience can be so vital in shaping one's social ability and identity that I always feel bad for home schooled kids. More power to ya if you turned out halfway normal. My parents were retards so thank god they sent me to public

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
Hah, nah. One of them used a bottle of fake blood and some clever acting to simulate a nose bleed (or some kind of serious injury) to gain sympathy from a female teacher he had a crush on.
When he was sent to the medical room, I told the teacher he was making it all up and that the blood was fake. She confronted him when he returned. He was forced to admit that he was a liar and was told off, which made him look stupid in front of her and the rest of the class.
For some reason, he took it personally and used it to make my life a misery after that. The rest of the group sided with him. I eventually got fed up of the negative aura within the group and left.

You cock blocker. He was running some elaborate game and you blew it up. How hot and how old was the teacher?

I truly feel that the high school experience can be so vital in shaping one's social ability and identity that I always feel bad for home schooled kids. More power to ya if you turned out halfway normal. My parents were retards so thank god they sent me to public

Yeah I turned out fine. I have no social issues, successful career, married for 18 years now, two kids etc. granted I was pretty social between religion, friends and I was in public school before high school. I graduated at 16 and have been working since. Couldn’t have my car until I graduated so I was motivated.

On the flip side a few others I know who were homeschooled their whole lives turned out to be full retards and are socially broken and basically the 40 year old virgin. All depends on the situation.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Was she hot ?? Lol u shouldn't have ratted him out that was a classic pua technique he was pulling !! works all the time on the ladies

Fbh

Definitely with the dweebs.
Except I was one of the low end ones. All of the videogame/anime/comic/fantasy obsession....none of the smarts and good grades lol.

Kayoba

Not going to lie, my childhood was kinda messed up. So back in high school I was very nihilistic individual that didn't have any hobbies at all and never socialized with anyone outside school.
In school I could easily get along with anyone, both good and bad kids alike. I preferred to stay neutral in order to avoid conflict and never socialized with a specific group since I had no interest. I was almost bullied at one point though, but that stopped once they realized that I was on good terms with a few neo-nazis.

In college I cut all my ties with everyone I knew and hanged out with geeks that liked games and anime. The contrast between the two schools were uncanny to say the least, but there's no denying that I prefered college over high school.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
im not sure exactly. i wasnt "nerdy" but i was certainly adjacent.

"unpopular" is what i would probably classify myself as, but maybe "weird" works too

Breakage

You cock blocker. He was running some elaborate game and you blew it up. How hot and how old was the teacher?
He deserved it anyway. She had long jet black hair, a slim figure and often wore bright red lipstick. You could say she had a slightly gothic-esque appearance. I suppose to a bunch of school boys she was quite attractive. She was in her late 20s to early 30s.
Was she hot ?? Lol u shouldn't have ratted him out that was a classic pua technique he was pulling !! works all the time on the ladies
She wasn't bad-looking. Well he certainly had all the cheesiness of a PUA. It was amusing to see it all fall apart.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I was respected by guys because I was a good athlete and pretty dominant in football, yet I wasn’t a typical jock type. I didn’t really have a group, a few good friends, moderate success with girls. I had a lot of turmoil in my family growing before my parents split up, I never felt confident or secure until much later in life.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

School cliques are a real thing?
I always figured it was a movie trope....

The group I was with did different things depending on what we felt like, soccer, basketball, football, handball or absolutely nothing at all but hang out.

I was the funny man that played video games. I hung out with the art and computer nerds and bums. I also hung out with normal people to play games of basketball.

MayauMiao

I was the loner, not because everyone avoids me but its just I prefer to be on my own.

I later realize its my introvert nature.

GeorgPrime

Banned
What social group (clique) were you a part of in High School.

I started off as a pure pro-wrestling geek with just a couple junior high buddies. I had 7-8 "Nature Boy" Ric Flair T-shirts and I wore one every day. I actually fought with my mom if she didn't do laundry promptly and I didn't have a "Nature Boy" shirt to wear. Needless to say I didn't talk to anything female during that period.

Then I was exposed to metal. Since I grew up in the city I only knew rap and house music. But my parents moved us to the suburbs and hearing Metallica, Nuclear Assault, Slayer, etc. blew my little urban mind. I became a metalhead, started growing my hair, and had a jean jacket with a King Diamond patch on the back. Talked to some freaky ass metal chicks, learned to party, drink, tried weed. Made out with some sluts, but didn't get laid yet.

Then a kid transferred to my school from Kansas City. He befriended me and played me some cool bands that I had never heard of. Life Sentence, Naked Raygun, The Ramones, Murphy's Law. I started going to punk rock shows. Shaved off my stupid metal mullet. Became a scene regular and made a million friends. Wrote for 'zines. Got my first girlfriend and laid.

So how about you? You are part of the cool GAF kid clique now...but what were you during your prime?

(Note: I don't mention gaming. It was just always there in the background since my grandma bought me an NES up until today. Some of you may have that play a bigger role in your social clique than I did.)

4ZejrrCpfoypR5lHoT3pq6yVldW.jpg

Nah... i was an outsider that got always picked on until my brother stepped in after school with some friends. I dont know what happened to my "classmates" but afterwards they never dared to touch me again and even apologized

Last edited:
I was a floater, not sure the proper term but I was friends with all sorts. Played Quake II during study hall with the nerds. Was in marching band (drums). Smoked pot with the skaters. Got drunk with the preps/jocks. Went to punk/hardcore/metal shows with the goths/crust punks etc. It was fun and I never saw the point in limiting my group of friends/social circle.

VAL0R

Banned
I was the point guard and best player on my (small) school's basketball team and was possibly the best all-around athlete in my class. I also played center midfield in soccer, ran track, and played a bit of football and baseball. I guess you could label me as "jock" but not the classic jock type at all really. I've always had a pretty good sense of humor too, so I was always popular with the guys. Being naturally athletic and artistic (drawing, painting), I got a lot of attention from the girls. I was homecoming king. I was once told by a girl a class of two above me on a track bus that I could pretty much pick a girl in the school and she would date me. "The world is your oyster," she said. But, alas, I had a huge crush on one of the girls in my class of which that was not true (isn't that always the way?). I often felt awkward in groups of my peers in social situations and often found it extremely hard to be comfortable around girls. I guess I had a lot of self-doubt and insecurity. I don't typically enjoy being the center of attention. For example, even though I was expected to be the guy to run through the cheerleaders' paper banner, bursting onto the court for the pregame warmup, I was not interested. My friend and teammate was all too happy to do it instead, thankfully, haha. I didn't like to eat lunch surrounded by my peers either. I preferred to hang out in the art room during lunch, and so on. I remember thinking my peers seemed like zombies or lemmings, just blindly waddling through our teenage years. Maybe that is a common feeling, I don't know. I find it very difficult to this day to speak publicly in certain contexts, even though I'm told I'm well-spoken and good with words. I also have ADHD, but didn't know it at the time, though I did feel "different" from my peers in some ways.

My father was quite religious and as a boy, I learned to love Jesus and believe the Bible was God's word through his influence. My parent's marriage was a disaster and they were divided on almost everything, including requiring church attendance and that is largely why I wandered off, I think, and stopped going to church and pretty much abandoned God in my teen years. But I credit that early Christian moral foundation, imperfect as it was, with my not being far more liberal in my drug and alcohol abuse and sexual activity. I'm grateful to my father for that. I have become a faithful Roman Catholic and cherish my faith above all else today. I am glad my father has seen the spiritual awakening of my adulthood. He sees how I raise my children to love Jesus, as he taught me. However, my homefront is united. My wife's faith may even be stronger than my own. God is good.

Quasicat

At the beginning of my time in high school the band director and football coach were best friends. This allowed almost the entire football team and cheerleading squad to have the practice time to join the band. My sophomore year, I was a wide receiver and a sousaphone player and at halftime, we had most of us in our pads doing the show. At the end of that school year, both the band director and head coach left. The two people that came in and replaced them pulled us into a classroom on the first day of school and gave us one minute to pick which side of the room we were going to take, effectively picking one and dropping the other. From that day on, the school was split into the jocks and the band nerds. I actually lost quite a few friends that day. I chose the band and to be honest, it was the better choice since the new head coach was terrible.

Neolombax

I don't know if I even belonged to a specific group. I was mostly quiet and extremely boring during my younger years. I liked to draw a lot during those days. I used to make comics about my school friends fighting each other ala Dragon Ball and the like. It got quite the attention as time passed on, people from different classes kept coming to me everytime I updated these so called comics. I didn't think those comics were any good, but people seemed to enjoy them.

I had pretty good grades, I played soccer when I was required to, had a few close friends, no girlfriend experience for the whole duration of high school. It was an okay period of my life that I look back with a fondness at times.

Biff

If popularity was a class system my group (6-8 friends) would be considered somewhere in the middle-class. Near the beginning of high-school we were definitely lower-middle but by the end we were upper-middle on the lone basis that we all stuck together and were known for being a tight crew that had each other's back.

Before you think I am bragging I should also point out we went to a nerd school known for its advanced/gifted program. It's easy to be socially average when a third of the school is on the spectrum.

I was the token girl in the loser group. People now are surprised i wasn't in the popular group, because i'm a ball of enthusiastic energy these days. Honestly, i got a lot of shit in my hometown for being mixed race with a very 'non white' name. I was never anything but kind to people in my school either. Gotta love small white midwestern towns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom