• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What social group (clique) were you in in High School?

appaws

Banned
What social group (clique) were you a part of in High School.

I started off as a pure pro-wrestling geek with just a couple junior high buddies. I had 7-8 "Nature Boy" Ric Flair T-shirts and I wore one every day. I actually fought with my mom if she didn't do laundry promptly and I didn't have a "Nature Boy" shirt to wear. Needless to say I didn't talk to anything female during that period.

Then I was exposed to metal. Since I grew up in the city I only knew rap and house music. But my parents moved us to the suburbs and hearing Metallica, Nuclear Assault, Slayer, etc. blew my little urban mind. I became a metalhead, started growing my hair, and had a jean jacket with a King Diamond patch on the back. Talked to some freaky ass metal chicks, learned to party, drink, tried weed. Made out with some sluts, but didn't get laid yet.

Then a kid transferred to my school from Kansas City. He befriended me and played me some cool bands that I had never heard of. Life Sentence, Naked Raygun, The Ramones, Murphy's Law. I started going to punk rock shows. Shaved off my stupid metal mullet. Became a scene regular and made a million friends. Wrote for 'zines. Got my first girlfriend and laid.

So how about you? You are part of the cool GAF kid clique now...but what were you during your prime?

(Note: I don't mention gaming. It was just always there in the background since my grandma bought me an NES up until today. Some of you may have that play a bigger role in your social clique than I did.)

I was the only edgy goth kid in a super rural Kentucky county so obviously I hung out with mostly jocks since I also played baseball and basketball.
4ytuw4m.jpg

Pejo

Mostly the band kids, despite not being in the school band(s) myself. I was in a ska/punk band for a number of years though, outside of school.

Dark Star

Metalheads, musicians, artists, photographers, goths, skaters, punks, misfits, stoners, etc. Real people. Those were like 90% of my friends in school. I had a few friends that were into building/tuning cars and stuff too. They were cool. Some of my friends I straight up knew since like 2nd grade and we somehow still got along and found things in common like videogames or movies or whatever.

I never got along with the nerdy academic overachiever kids even though I too mostly took honors and advanced placement classes lol. I found most of them to be annoying af and complete tryhards. I was on the debate team for a year and thought the whole team was full of insufferable know-it-all types. Same thing with the jocks. Those guys actually tried and wanted to be jerks and were usually rich kids with elitist/cliquey mentalities.

Last edited:
N/A. Viral encephalitis owned my ass hard those four years. I was either at home asleep or half awake with a tutor getting my work done so I could go back to sleep. I think I made it to school about half of the time. I don't even remember. Those four years are mostly a blur.

DogofWar

You know that guy who pissed people off by telling insensitive jokes all the time and provoking the "political nerds" from both sides?

That was me.

Oh and I wore band shirts, smoked weed and generally cared about nothing at all. Especially not school. How I even made it through High school is still a mystery to me.

This guy (from Ferris Bueller)

N2pOFMl.jpg

i was out of home in my high school years due to a dysfunctional family so i had no real boundaries and my parents basically paid for boarding school or to keep me away from home

In school I always had a gift of doing fuckall and goofing off...going out and getting drunk/smoking and coming back to school and then cramming in knowledge in the last day before a major test and passing it
almost top of the class which used to infuriate the teachers

Spent large amounts of time chasing girls and not giving a shit and they could never really do anything about it as i was still passing my grades
and they still wanted my parents money (was a private school)...i was the forbidden fruit to many but i still did have a good head on my shoulders i think so that saved me from going down darker roads

I think life comes full circle...my son is very much like me and that is sort of a scary and proud moment as i think he is much smarter and brave than me

Last edited:

Mohonky

Fucks me....I was the school and district sprinting champion and lived for sports on the weekends; I was shit at study, loved to listen to metal, punk and alt rock, played video games when I wasnt playing sports. Spoke to or got along with everyone no matter what 'clique' they were.

So I dunno.

Azzurri

Umm we didn't really have cliques in my HS since it was a private Catholic school, so everyone basically knew each other before HS from school dances and athletics.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I was that one odd cat that did my own thing. As somebody that played sports and spend my free periods in the weight room I was friends with the jocks. As somebody that skated and played in a handcore/punk band and liked metal I was friends with the skaters and stoners. As somebody that liked video games and MTG and D&D and War Hammer tabletop stuff I got on well with the geeks. As somebody that enjoyed learning and liked people for people and not groups I got on well with the nerds.

I think the only groups I wasn't really accepted by (excluding ethnic groups that didn't want anyone that didn't look like them) was the preppy rich kids. There wasn't a lot of money in my family, we had to use the school food stamps for lunch and I bought my clothes at goodwill (but had a pretty cool 1950s thing going on, you could always find good bowling shirts and stuff at thrift stores back before it was hip and trendy), but I never really fit into their world.

JordanN

Banned
Most of my time was spent on the Library computers. I was a very boring person back then. :messenger_confused:

In elementary & middle school, I did play a lot of sport teams. But I don't think I was very good at it, heh. I was always destined to be into more nerdy/geek stuff.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was in England so maybe our cliques were different here but I went to quite a posh school (Tony Blair's children went there while he was Prime Minister) and out of our year of 180 kids, there were only about 30 that I would call 'normal' so that was my group of friends.

We were into:

Rugby (our school was too posh to pay Football)
Boxing
Drinking
Drugs
Raving
Hip Hop
PS1 - specifically Tekken, Gran Turismo and Winning Eleven/Pro Evo

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I was the "jock that was also cool with the nerds" guy. I generally hung out with the weightlifters and the football players at school because I was in the class and on the team, but I spent my free time outside of school playing CoD and Halo so I hung out with the "nerds" on the weekend via voice chat or LAN parties. Looking back I wish I had spent all my time with the "nerds" both on and off campus and not worried about being "cool". The girls were way more fun and in retrospect more attractive. And the guys were way more easy going and less judgmental.

So much time wasted on shallow girls who couldn't string two sentences together and dudes who tried way to hard to be cool. I feel like I could have had better relationships and made lifelong friends, but I think most people have highschool regrets like that.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I used to associate with the council estate kids in UK High school but sort of fucked it off when I turned 15 and hung out with literal normies instead.

I was a council estate kid from Camden.
Maybe we could have been friends until you fucked me off at 15 :messenger_pensive:
I probably would have fucked your Mum or Sister by then anyway :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I had 2-3 friends at junior high but they moved to another school after 16, more vocational focused and more lax, without the need to go to university. I went to a high school focusing on the more difficult task of entering university, but I was alone. Did not go along that well with the others either and did not talk that much to them. It also mattered that I was absent for 5 years in a foreign country and had no idea how to get used to our local teen rites and traditions.

After school or weekends we used to hang out together with my friends for basketball or go out. I had 1 friend only for video games, either at his pc or at mine or at arcades. We 3 even had our first "score" together in our local red light district.

No luck with girls though on my side. With things as they were and without social links, I had to try 10 times harder and did not bother.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I was a loner. No social group. Not many friends. Pretty much been a loser my whole life. That’s fine, winners tend to be shitty people.

appaws

Banned
I used to associate with the council estate kids in UK High school but sort of fucked it off when I turned 15 and hung out with literal normies instead.
I was a council estate kid from Camden.
Maybe we could have been friends until you fucked me off at 15 :messenger_pensive:
I probably would have fucked your Mum or Sister by then anyway :messenger_ok:

What the fuck is a Council Estate Kid?

JimiNutz

Banned
What the fuck is a Council Estate Kid?

Kids that are dirt poor and live in social housing.
Basically a big block of flats that looks like something out of The Raid or Dredd - or Attack the Block if you wanna go for a British film.

Was “the nice guy” in school. Just didn’t see the point of being a dick to everyone for no reason. Lived in the middle of nowhere and did sports because there wasn’t much to do. Watched a lot of horror movies. Loved movies in general so many nights renting $1 movies from the video store

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was a "goth" apparently. early 2000's i was into stuff like slipknot, linkin park, sum 41, metallica, etc. then started listening to a lot of punk/rock/emo.

my hair was spikey and i grew it out. these were some one the looks i went for:

photo-of-good-charlotte-billy-picture-id85043973
3648b9ccdfb78e27893ec8354ff4eeef.jpg
5cf1af824c5325a545a3f7324004c838.jpg

41st+Annual+Academy+Country+Music+Awards+Arrivals+ERv70z20_Fxx.jpg
c1e2d4ba56aa57438c5f5a356dc0be3f.png

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Loner who could float to any group but was never really apart of any of them. I was a military kid who suddenly found himself in a public high school. Luckily I was liked, dated amongst the older girls, but that ended up meaning I was a dating a college girl my jr and senior year which further kept me from being around any of my peers during those years. High school overall was easy, never had any issues with fighting/meanness/cruel people, sadly a lot of other people did.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I kind of bounced between several kids. Probably why i'm pretty well rounded now. I could talk about anything.

Soccer and theater.

WIsh I did band

Hoping the kids down the road gravitate towards an instrument up but I won't force them.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Two main groups a more preppy group and a more studious group. I was a core fixture of the latter but was good friends with the core of the former. Athletes in both groups. At the end of the day everyone was pretty respectful and friendly to each other. Was fortunate to have a fantastic experience with some really great people.

appaws

Banned
Kids that are dirt poor and live in social housing.
Basically a big block of flats that looks like something out of The Raid or Dredd - or Attack the Block if you wanna go for a British film.

So kids from the projects in American terms.

xrnzaaas

I was close friends and hung out a lot with about 5 people from my class, but I wouldn't pick one common factor we had. Maybe we just found each other, because the majority of the class were assholes.

Barrage

My day-to-day lunch crew for the first year was pretty limited. I would hang out with either two older kids that were more friends of my cousin than of me, or bond over pro wrestling with the one true friend I made from High School (who later became my groomsman).

But for grades 10/11/12 I became much more comfortable socially due to sports. At lunch I would hang out with a buddy from the wrestling team and his nerdy friends (I was just as nerdy), where we would talk shit on GC VS PS2 VS Xbox. For months. Due to being on the football team, I had 2-3 kids I could talk to in any class (either teammates or their girlfriends), and our team's biggest star thinking I was funny led me to even being tolerated in the Rich Kids hall (for brief excursions). I was never a part of any "stoner" circles, besides two girls who would grab me to hang out every now and again (which I never figured out. They've had hard lives since).

Breakage

Hung out with nerds until I got kicked out over something trivial. Spent a few months on my own before finding another group who was less book smart. But this group was into video games (this was late PS1 era transitioning to PS2 era).
I was barely at school – I left with no qualifications – so a common interest in video games among other things helped to maintain my friendships for the remaining years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom