• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight From an Asian Ethnoburb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

This is completely crazy to me because the reputation of your high school is a huge deal here for getting into university. Currently I attend a top university in Canada and I had to switch from a terrible average school to a great private school because even though I was getting top marks in the average school, my application would likely not be accepted because the school was not known for grading competitively.

Here it would be way better to have say an 88% GPA at a great school than a 100% GPA at an average school.

It really depends on your goals. Plan on going somewhere that takes your rank into account? Better to go to an average school. Want to stand out in a sport? Better go where you're the star.

Want to go somewhere that looks at the whole picture? Then it's okay to not be the best.

Oh absolutely.

Asians are extremely racist against Blacks and people of Color. The chinese language in itself is racist against Foreigners/non chinese.

In Cantonese,
White people are 白鬼 which translates into White Ghost. Black People are 黑鬼 which translates into Black ghost. Only the Chinese are people, foreigners are evil spirits.

You do realise you're trying to bullshit in a room with people who knows the language right?

Case in point-

Watch this.

白人 = white person
黑人 = black person

OH SNAP!?

Oh snap indeed.

Oh absolutely.

Asians are extremely racist against Blacks and people of Color. The chinese language in itself is racist against Foreigners/non chinese.

In Cantonese,
White people are 白鬼 which translates into White Ghost. Black People are 黑鬼 which translates into Black ghost. Only the Chinese are people, foreigners are evil spirits.

So people are just blanket calling XX ethnic group is racist now?

How is this ok?

You also causally group Asian/Chinese into one generalization, never mind that American Chinese are nowhere as racist as you claim.

Tripon

Are class rankings really that important? If so, get your kid a tutor.

Yes, in California, it can mean guaranteed admission to a UC.

How do I qualify?

If you are a California resident and rank in the top 9 percent of students in your California high school class — and your high school participates in our ELC program — you may be eligible for ELC designation.

We will identify the top 9 percent of students based on GPA in UC-approved coursework completed in the 10th and 11th grades. To be considered for ELC, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and complete the following "a-g" courses prior to your senior year:

History/social science
1 year
English
2 years
Mathematics
2 years
Laboratory science
1 years
Language other than English
1 years
College-preparatory elective
(chosen from the subjects listed above or another course approved by the university)
4 yearlong courses
After you enter your coursework and grades in the UC application, we'll compare your GPA to the historic top GPA for your school. If you meet or exceed that GPA, you'll be designated ELC and we'll add a note to your application.
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/local-path/

Every University of California campus outside of UC Merced is highly competitive to be admitted to.

Hypron

You do realise you're trying to bullshit in a room with people who knows the language right?

Case in point-

Oh snap indeed.

That, plus even if it were true, it's like saying all French people are extremely sexist because, in the French language, groups of people are considered masculine as soon as there's a single male person in them. It's dumb.

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,

Though it is a derogatory term in Cantonese it's doesn't appear to be that common hell I baidu it out of curiosity and I went through a couple of pages and got nothing using it as that meaning mainly it was just a bunch on anime/visual novel characters.

http://www.baidu.com/s?wd=白鬼&pn=0&o...AiXuWZwrp10KjKvqffCxWiRjCZkf1x0Rp4zF4gyLLOS3g

cdyhybrid

I don't think they do, they just don't want their kids to theoretically compete against large numbers of people who are putting that extra work, but they also don't want to raise their kids in a way that seems like forcing that extra work is necessary to succeed.
So don't compete. Don't hire the tutors, don't spend the cash, just keep doing you. Don't have to move to do that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
While the term “model minority” substantiates a myth about how whites value Asians, Asians are only “model minorities” when they are small in number with minimal influence on a community. When Asians “set the norms of academic achievement by which whites are evaluated [and] ultimately usurp those previously in place,” once heralded Asian achievements are critiqued with suspicion. In a school district near Princeton, New Jersey, last December, parents claimed that the academic tutoring Asian students received outside of school resulted in the “elementary school curriculum … being sped up to accommodate them.”
Ah yes, the school district I grew up in. It's been very interesting seeing the occasional article about the educational/racial tensions develop there, and the questionable school policies employed in reaction. When I was there the district seemed to have a good handle on multiple tiers of classes for every kind of student, but it sounds like they've let a minority of angry white people dictate shit for everyone. As a white person who benefited from all their serious honors, AP classes, and actual college prep (and of greatly enjoying the company of my very diverse class), they disappoint me.

This is my issue as well.

Eh, it's not that simple. I went to a very good high school, but the top state university only accepted a certain number of kids each year from the school; I dunno if it was hard policy or not, but everyone knew the numbers, and it was basically 6 or 7. At that point you would have had a much better chance getting in at a different school than trying to fight with the other 5.0 GPA guys who were gunning for the same limited slots.

It really depends on your goals. Plan on going somewhere that takes your rank into account? Better to go to an average school. Want to stand out in a sport? Better go where you're the star.

Want to go somewhere that looks at the whole picture? Then it's okay to not be the best.

Okay that is just so strange to me that class rank is actually taken into consideration. I know 10 other people from my graduating class at my school and the only reason it isn't more is because most people preferred to go to another school. I can totally understand why parents are switching schools. But they seriously shouldn't be blaming the Asian-American students performing well but rather that the system itself is completely unfair for students who are in a more difficult school.

I mean if you're competing with 30 other kids and you're doing slightly worse than them, of course you would go move to a school where your grades can be more competitive.

JaggedSac

I live in Roswell/Milton, which is near Johns Creek, and I have not met a single adult that would move away from a good school because of how their children match against other children. If anything, the school's standing as a whole is taken as a factor due to property value of taking that perception into account.

zethren

Banned
I grew up in John's Creek, and remember it before it was even called that. For years it was just part of Duluth, GA. John's Creek was what we called that area of Duluth, kind of like an area descriptor for those who knew. When I moved there in 1999, it was mostly fields and some farms with pockets of housing divisions and shops.

Then I remember all of the housing subdivisions popping up, and suddenly the majority of my High School graduating class were Asian. Many of my best friends in HS were Asian. And to be totally honest, I didn't even notice the transition as it was happening. It just kind of happened over a 7 year period, and it didn't super hit me until I moved away for college in a town that was primarily white (after having lived for years in a primarily Asian suburban town).

But John's Creek also doesn't have a lot for younger generations. It's a good place to raise kids if you have some money (it's on the upper middle class to upper class spectrum nowadays for sure), but there is no nightlife to speak of and many folks move off to college right after HS (at least my generation did). It's a very suburban town. There are also A LOT of people there. The traffic is an absolute nightmare. I don't miss that at all... That part of town has some incredible restaurants, but to get the best Asian food in the area you'll want to go a bit further into Gwinnet.

I guess if anyone has any questions for someone who grew up in the city this article is talking about, feel free to shoot haha.

Pau

Those parents shouldn't worry too much. White kids have a better chance of getting into elite colleges than Asian kids even if they're worse students and lower down in the class rank list. Unless they're only applying to California public schools.

I'm reading this article and I don't see anything that necessarily points to a massive racism problem from the white people "fleeing". The article itself spells very clearly why it might actually be a rational decision for these people to leave the district in order to maximize their childen's opportunities.

The article is sprinkled with some anecdotal quotes that suggest that some of these white people have stereotyped views of asians, that doesn't necessarily means that racism is motivating everyone's decision to leave, especially if they have objective reasons to do it.

Is it really rational though? Do you not think the white children could benefit from going to school in a diverse school with excellent academic credentials? Do you think the mediocre white student is suddenly going to become an academic superstar in his new, lily white environs?

zethren

Banned
Is it really rational though? Do you not think the white children could benefit from going to school in a diverse school with excellent academic credentials? Do you think the mediocre white student is suddenly going to become an academic superstar in his new, lily white environs?

I'm very grateful that I was able to attend a HS in John's Creek that was very diverse, and that also had a high level of academic performance. I'm very lucky in that, and absolutely benefited from the diversity that area developed. I graduated just about a decade ago though, so it's sad to see that some folks are making this out to be an issue these days.

Asian kids aren't regular kids?

ornormal.jpg

Qvoth

In Cantonese,

lol
this is like saying the n word means black man

KingV

So don't compete. Don't hire the tutors, don't spend the cash, just keep doing you. Don't have to move to do that.

What they are doing is completely rational though. I think it's based on a misguided understanding of how admissions policies typically work for most schools, because from what I know, schools are broadly aware that some schools are better than others and will adjust on their end.

I'm of a mixed mind about the idea of paying tutors to "help" your otherwise A/B student with their homework. On the one hand, it's kind of like having a parent that helps with your homework, but I also sort.of would consider having a professional that looks over a kid's homework after they complete it for errors or proofreads their kid's papers kind of a form of cheating. But, I also think the kid will learn more in that situation.

I'm not sure what ethics in tutoring are exactly or how a school looks at that, but if the goal is to get better grades, theres got to be pressure to do that.

kswiston

I'm not sure what ethics in tutoring are exactly or how a school looks at that, but if the goal is to get better grades, theres got to be pressure to do that.

The ethics of tutoring are exactly the same as the ethics of teaching. I can't speak for arts/language teachers, but kids who can't grasp the material in math and science aren't going to do very well in those courses, even if they just gave their homework to a professional to do. The majority of your grade comes from stuff you do in class (tests, quizzes, labs, etc).

Getting help with homework or on an assignment isn't cheating. Your high school teachers will do the same thing, time permitting. Time just doesn't permit very much given the work and student load that many teachers are saddled with.

Why do you think that every university course comes with dedicated office hours where you can get one on one time with your professor or a teaching assistant? Ideally, public schools would have the same dedicated resources. However, budgets are limited. Resource rooms/staff when available are largely dedicated to students with learning disabilities who need those services to pass.

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,

Please tell us more...

KingV

The ethics of tutoring are exactly the same as the ethics of teaching. I can't speak for arts/language teachers, but kids who can't grasp the material in math and science aren't going to do very well in those courses, even if they just gave their homework to a professional to do. The majority of your grade comes from stuff you do in class (tests, quizzes, labs, etc).

Getting help with homework or on an assignment isn't cheating. Your high school teachers will do the same thing, time permitting. Time just doesn't permit very much given the work and student load that many teachers are saddled with.

Why do you think that every university course comes with dedicated office hours where you can get one on one time with your professor or a teaching assistant?

It's just kind of an unfair advantage in the sense that not everyone can access it in general. But again , some kids have involved parents, books, PC at home, SAT Prep, etc.

I'm sure the kids with professional tutoring so actually learn a bit more, though. Like I said, mixed feelings.

As someone who is South Asian, we too have parents that push kids hard academically. It's no wonder that most kids in med school are Asian, whether it be Indian, Chinese, etc.

Perhaps white parents should push their kids harder instead of running away. *shrug*

Asians are racist as hell against blacks. Not sure what their stance is on hispanics, though.

Not sure where you're from, but i have relatives in New Orleans, Texas, and St. Louis. The area is pretty poor and the neighborhoods are really mixed with blacks and asians. Everyone seemed to get along for the most part.

Kite

Yes, in California, it can mean guaranteed admission to a UC.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/california-residents/local-path/

Every University of California campus outside of UC Merced is highly competitive to be admitted to.
Texas does the same thing:

Texas House Bill 588. Texas House Bill 588, commonly referred to as the "Top 10% Rule", is a Texas law passed in 1997. The law guarantees Texas students who graduated in the top ten percent of their high school class automatic admission to all state-funded universities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_House_Bill_588

mugwhump

This calls for some affirmative action. Every Asian-American highschooler gets a free neogaf account. That'll drop their productivity!

KingV

As someone who is South Asian, we too have parents that push kids hard academically. It's no wonder that most kids in med school are Asian, whether it be Indian, Chinese, etc.

Perhaps white parents should push their kids harder instead of running away. *shrug*

Really depends on what your definition of "Most" is....

Asians are definitely over-represented in medical school compared to their proportion of the population, but if you're very generous and assumed all the "Mixed Race" and "Unknown Ethnicity" students are actually some kind of Asian, than at best, 27-28% of US medical school graduates in the past two years were Asian.

KahooTs

Parents wishing a particular balance of academic and social elements in their children's lives move to where they believe their child will have greater academic success and thus life opportunities while adhering to that balance.

IvanJ

Banned
From the outside looking in, it seems that the root of the problem is colleges admitting students based on high-school competition instead on high-school proficiency.

If they did away with that rule of admitting the top % from each school, and instead had an admittance policy based on grades and/or entrance exams, people would not have to cheat the system by moving kids around.
In fact, this system would probably be benificial to kids staying in schools with better students, because slightly worse performing kids could get help and support from their better colleagues and reach the necessary plateau of admittance.
That would most likely eliminate all the purposeful or accidental racism emanating from school-switching.

I'm aware I possibly have no idea what is going on, coming from a completely different educational system and a completely unrelatable population (ethnic) situation

SRG01

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,

I'm Canto and no one says 白鬼 as a racially derogative term. Maybe 鬼佬 or 鬼仔, but never 白鬼.

MGrant

I'm more curious about whether the asians would flee if blacks/hispanics moved in.

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,

Here in Taiwan, 白人 (white person) and 黑人 (black person) are the norm among young people. It's definitely on the way out. Terms like 洋鬼子 (foreign ghost) are seen as near the same level of pejorative as racial slurs in America.

Asian communities have a long way to go in regards to relations with black people (here I've seen children burst into tears upon seeing a real black man, and lots of school kids are casually racist towards black people), but the worst us white people have to deal with is the sort of "perpetual foreigner" thing that Asians have to deal with in the US. No biggie; if a kid at 7-11 sees me and yells "Foreigner!" to his mother, I usually just laugh and point at him and say "Taiwan person!" with mock surprise.

Related to the topic, I would kill to have these supposed magical asians who are speeding up the curriculum en masse. Even if they spend every day at cram school until nightfall, the ratio of truly gifted students to average and/or poorly performing students is pretty much the same as it is in the States.

jdstorm

Banned
Wow this thread turned into a race war really quickly.

From my point of view. The way this article describes it both White and Asian parents are looking to further their children's development. Both are just taking different approaches.

For instance athletes change teams all the time to get better opportunities.

Some go from coming off the bench on a good team, to starting for a worse team in order to attract more attention and ultimately earn more money.
Others take pay cuts to try and win championships.

Both approaches have their own strengths and weeknesses

Oh absolutely.

In Cantonese,
That's one stupid blanket statement!

I think most people don't realize that many immigrant parents (whether they be from Asia or otherwise) are highly educated and/or upper middle class where they come from. My parents were as well as many other Asians I have met. I'm not counting refugees since that can be a bit more random/well represented.
The need to push kids is inherent as they were raised the same way.
When I went to high school almost 2 decades ago, we were not graded on a curve. I am not sure if that has changed. So it didn't matter if a ton of us got A's as we were not really competing with one another but more to do with learning the material well enough to get to the 90%+ mark.
If they really want to compete, they have to focus their children (immigrants focus way less on sports/fun and more into academics and "other things that make you look smart" i.e. piano/violin, model UN, hospital volunteer etc).
I'd rather be pushed to be average in a smart school than be considered "smart" amongst lazy bums.

D.Lo

The US college system is seemingly a giant nightmare.

However, if parents are just being practical about their child being academically successful plus having a balanced life with sports and play time etc, and the way to to do it ends up with 'white flight' - then it's more a cultural preference than racism.

They're not against asians per-se, a group of whom might be a mix of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and indians, but against their kids growing up in a dominant culture of 'test scores at all costs'.

If the only way an already smart kid can be in the top 10% of a year at a school is to have constant private tutoring, which doesn't make a person any smarter but just prepares them specifically for tests, I think parents can make a tough choice and move if that's what they want for their family.

They would do the same thing if it were a suburb dominated by say German immigrants who tutored their kids hard. It's nothing to do with skin colour.

Of course some may be racist as well. But the principle here is about a particular academic culture, not any particular race.

The US college system is seemingly a giant nightmare.

However, if parents are just being practical about their child being academically successful plus having a balanced life with sports and play time etc, and the way to to do it ends up with 'white flight' - then it's more a cultural preference than racism.

They're not against asians per-se, a group of whom might be a mix of Chinese, Japanese, Korean and indians, but against their kids growing up in a dominant culture of 'test scores at all costs'.

If the only way an already smart kid can be in the top 10% of a year at a school is to have constant private tutoring, which doesn't make a person any smarter but just prepares them specifically for tests, I think parents can make a tough choice and move if that's what they want for their family.

They would do the same thing if it were a suburb dominated by say German immigrants who tutored their kids hard. It's nothing to do with skin colour.

Of course some may be racist as well. But the principle here is about a particular academic culture, not any particular race.
So here's the question, then: what about the community makes you think it's all about test scores and no life balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom