• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gavin Moore leaves SCEJ (Demon's Souls creative director)

Zato

Banned
I've never seen a thread for every person who leaves a closed studio like those for JapanStudio lol
A dev with so little relevant output over the past 10 years or so that nobody cared.

Becomes something to try and hit Sony with ........ many tears over Japan Studio.

Shit is so transparent it borders on the pathetic.

EDMIX

meanwhile jade raymond is given a deal to make games for SCE...i wonder is this a power struggle between herman and SCEJ?

kinda worrying now ain't it?

? huh? or the team simply hasn't made enough money for Sony to keep supporting. This isn't some brand new concept here folks.

So yea, "meanwhile" they are taking a chance on a team that didn't spend several generations making flops..... So for all you know, Herman would make the same fucking choice about that team man

Yoboman

there's a saying, if you don't value your own developers, experienced and unique ones, it just leave a sour business taste to us gamers...
e4C6bjW.gif

Miles708

Leaked Sony internal PS5 playbook for a successful console launch ™️ :
  • Rule# 1: Ignore/deny/downplay/boycott your legacy and image
  • Rule# 2: close veteran studios
  • Rule# 3: drive away your best veteran devs <-- we are here
  • Rule# 4: Coming soon
  • Rule# 5: Coming soon
This inspires confidence and optimism.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I miss the dream team too but the decisions that have led to these departures have been in the works long before Jim.

The writing was on the wall when Sony decided to consolidate SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ into a global office in San Mateo. From what I know on the business side, this is not and has not been a totally smooth process, but the long term vision is that they will have more streamlined operations, resources, marketing, etc. for studios to take advantage of. Closing Japan Studios was a business move and shouldn’t be surprising to anyone who manages teams/budgets. When your console claims to fame over a decade are Bloodborne (outsourced), Demons souls remake (outsourced), shadow of the colossus remake (outsourced), Last Guardian (10+ year development), and *checks notes* Knack, there’s not much reason to keep the gang around aside from nostalgia.
Sure, it’s not because of just one person, but since he became the face it became obvious. From around 2009 until 2017-2018 Sony was like our gamer mate, interacting with the fanbase, #4theplayers, etc. Now it’s big ass corporate with corporate face Jim Ryan who I guess never even finished playing through a game in his life.

Aesius

When has it been about profits since stocks are a thing? it's all about that growth baby and perceived value. Remind me again when Amazon started to make profits? Twitter? Google? The Xbox division itself?
Profits or the appearance of profitability, whether now or in the future.

longdi

Banned
It should never be taken to extremes though, as you risk killing creativity and variety.

Nintendo does it right, and is always trying to ensure that each IP has its own distinct identity and personality.
Sony is focusing too much on the "cinematic" formula, to the point that their games feel like the same game being sold under different coats of paint.

what concerns me is Jimbo is doubling down on this 'cinematic' formula by making movies and tv shows of their franchise!

i rather the efforts and resources be spent on games/psn related development.

[Sigma]

Gavin responding with kind to Shu isn't surprising. That's been pretty norm during this process as Shu is own twitter, easy to reach and seems pretty popular among devs at Playstation based on the past interviews/interactions from when he was President of SIE Worldwide Studios and before. I dunno why people in the comment section are asking Shu these questions tho, Shu doesn't have that kind of power anymore.

The situation definitely sucks, if feels like a lot of creativity is just leaving out the door and things are just about to become incresingly more monotonous at Playstation over time.

Last edited:

SSfox

jimbo with hurst are on fire! they are like in the cod with killing streak... no shows, no ps3 and vita shops, exclusives on pc and so on.. and developers leaving in troops.
This. Sony are doing some weird choices right there. But they still have GOW and GT two of the best franchise that ever existed.

Maybe this is why Shanwn left, i think he was agaisn't the price increase for example also, and could be the same also for Andrew House. Hermen and Jimbo are riding the waves that were generated by Shawn, Tretton, Yosp Adrew and the others.

SSfox

Sure, it’s not because of just one person, but since he became the face it became obvious. From around 2009 until 2017-2018 Sony was like our gamer mate, interacting with the fanbase, #4theplayers, etc. Now it’s big ass corporate with corporate face Jim Ryan who I guess never even finished playing through a game in his life.
I think Jimbo may have finished some games in his life, but not enough games to understand what make the essence of playstation.

I feel like he's that kind of guy that think "BIGGER IS BETTER" which isn't necessarily true, sure sometimes it is but it's not always the case, and TLOU2 VS TLOU1 is one of the examples.

THEAP99

Banned
That's a weird leave because wasn't he a part of the the division of SIEJ that was gonna stay? The part where they do external work?

Nonetheless is stupid as fuck that Sony are letting all these people go instead of bringing them into other Sony studios

I already know these news since 2 days ago.

Fuck Jim Ryan

This might end up better in the long term, the Japan studios people that are leaving are able to either group up or start new projects outside that umbrella and go back to making the games they used to, many have already indicated that is their plan. There is plenty of opportunity for games like Gravity Rush to exist outside Sony's walled garden and still be released on the Playstation, they just won't be exclusive to one platform anymore. You probably won't see Kat in another game, but you might see her spiritual successor flying around in something just as great.

Ten_Fold

as of current, jade is unproven and long outta the game. will kojima next game be even on ps5?

as i said the contrast between SCEJ and jade feels sour.

if im a tabloid writer, i would think SCEJ remained headstrong not going down the same cinematic action AAA game,which ceo jim suggested them to. SCEJ probably thought that as a Japan 'hometown' team, they have more bargaining power. but Jim herman wants to consolidate power in SCEE and action against disobedience towards ceo, so they started to starve SCEJ of fundings, and hope frustration of being sidelined makes SCEJ veterans leave.... which they are doing!
Yeah giving AA budgets wouldn’t have been bad, it would at least create more variety in their games. Now it seems it’s just gonna be AAA cinematic movie games which is ok but I like a little variety, which is why I’m not sure if I’ll like the Sony much this gen.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This might end up better in the long term, the Japan studios people that are leaving are able to either group up or start new projects outside that umbrella and go back to making the games they used to, many have already indicated that is their plan. There is plenty of opportunity for games like Gravity Rush to exist outside Sony's walled garden and still be released on the Playstation, they just won't be exclusive to one platform anymore. You probably won't see Kat in another game, but you might see her spiritual successor flying around in something just as great.
It hurts me a lot what happened and that these wonderful games reached their point.

But I will remember them as the best games I have ever played.

Top Bottom