• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you never thought you would enjoy...but then you got addicted to

So GAF...i need your help: I just casually tried Genshin Impact (after making fun of GaaS games for years) and now i can't stop playing it
I wish this was a joke...but this crap is insanely addictive.

I'm a 35 year old dude...i don't need this in my life right now. I installed FFVII Rebirth the same day i saw a friend play Genshin Impact on my PS5...and i haven't even tried Rebirth cause i just got lost in this game.

I'm already at adventure level 15 or something like that. For someone that never expected to play this...it's great lmao.

Any case similar to this?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey no need to feel bad about it. Game is colorful, seems to have nice gameplay (unlike a lot of gaas games) and it's full of cute chicks, what's there not to like?

For me, I would say it's Rimworld. I'm not too much strategy or management games but this one kept me hooked for 100 or so hours.

Also, DOOM lol. Got it on the Switch as a sort of nostalgia trip, ended up downloading GZDoom and a good bunch of wads.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was NEVER a fan of rogue-like games. I didn't like how you could die and lose all the progress you had made in the game, and have to start over from scratch. I always enjoyed narrative driven games, especially JRPGs, where you leveled up your character in a somewhat linear progression - so that the more time you put into a game, the stronger you got. Anything else just felt like I was wasting time. I played Rogue Legacy back when it released, and I kind of liked it but also felt frustrated by it.

I was in my 40s when I played Hades a few years ago, and it changed my life. While I was initially drawn in by the narrative, I soon learned the joy of rogue-likes. In fact, I'd say that behind RPGs it's now my second favorite genre of game. Inscryption, Balatro, Vampire Survivors, Brotato, Dead Cells, Monster Train, and Slay the Spire are now some of my all-time favorite games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Minecraft and Terraria.

Both games were never on my radar until I started helping younger relatives play.

Now they all want to play in my worlds because I collected and made so much stuff, lol.

And I did not have ey playing GTA Online daily on my bingo card. I really started playing in 2022 with the current gen versions and have been hooked. Granted Rockstar introduced alot of QoL changes recently, and the faster loading is so good.

Cant wait to see how they handle fast loading with GTA VI.

Last edited:
Marvel Midnight Suns. That style of game is way out of my wheelhouse and I ended up putting like 50 hours into the complete edition

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not addicted, maybe League Of Legends since I don't like isometric camera with point and click controls, I wanted to get into whatever my friends were playing at the time and once I "got" it, I spent months playing along because mf moved to something else and I was hooked lmao.

Apart from that, not addicted at all but I was pleasantly surprised I liked some western games like Mad Max, I really liked that one, didn't feel it was repetitive because I only maxed one town and left it at it (I knew people hated doing the same 4 times or so), also Mass Effect franchise, didn't look like my type of thing but damn if it wasn't, loved every entry.

Into the Breach. Didn't play it for a long time cause I'm not much in to strategy games but it has probably the most deviously tuned strategy gameplay of any game ever. Just these perfect little boards with so many options and so many abilities. I consider it one of the greatest all time.

Robb

Gold Member
I scoffed at Vampire Survivors initially.. That game is crack.
5L5n6uF.jpeg

BossLackey

Gold Member
Survival games. I have to stay away from them.

Luckily I snap out of it after a few days, but if I start a good survival game I'll play it until I have the revelation of "...why am I even doing all this?". Seeing the loop from the outside gives me an overwhelming feeling of me wasting time.

Kirby in general.

I was always aggressively dismissive towards it, just calling it "Another Nintendo game with a boring/basic art style for toddlers", mostly coming from the fact that I hated Mario (Still do), I was basically extending it to Kirby as well.

But after a long time of dismissing it, I tried Nightmare in Dream Land, and called myself every brazilian curse word in existence (Literally, out loud), and became an instant fan.

Not to mention the fact that I'm a huge fanboy of Blue Mages in JRPGs. That just made me love it even more, since Kirby is basically a Blue Mage.

Speaking of JRPGs, I had the same with that genre too. I despise Anime, and always thought turn based gameplay was boring, to look at (Never had played it myself)

But Persona 1 completely drew me into the genre. Fell in love with turn based gameplay, and after hearing this:

There's no way I was gonna drop that game.
After that I played Final Fantasy 9, and it goes up from there.

Amael901

Neo Member
I tried monster hunter several times on different platforms (ps2/psp/3ds) and I always stop after a few hours because I didn't have people to play with. When World came out me and my good friend got the game together and I played about a thousand hours plus I went back to old versions of the games to try. I was so obsessed with the game that I was thinking about game while cuddling with my boyfriend...

Andrenicks

Neo Member
My Time at Portia .
I saw it while looking for another game on the PlayStation plus catalog and decided to install it because my wife might like it. I ended up playing it ad nauseam loving every single thing about it.

GymWolf

Biggest one is probably monster hunter.

Absolutely hated mhfreedom unite on psp, sold after like 30 min.

I had to get gud with the demo of world to apprecciate the series and now it's the game where i have most hours ever by far.

Hades made me enjoy the roguelite genre so that's another big one.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Genshin is a good game OP, specially now if you're just starting. It is packed with content.

But as all things in life, it will come a time that you will get bored of it. As a genshin player since the very begining I ended up leaving the game behind at the end of last year. No regrets.

If you're enjoying it's all that matters. I think you'll eventually see it's flaws and time consuming requirements, but for now enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Genshin is a good game OP, specially now if you're just starting. It is packed with content.

But as all things in life, it will come a time that you will get bored of it. As a genshin player since the very begining I ended up leaving the game behind at the end of last year. No regrets.

If you're enjoying it's all that matters. I think you'll eventually see it's flaws and time consuming requirements, but for now enjoy the ride.
Yeah im in for the ride until i don't have fun anymore. Games are all about doing something you like, so while the game is addictive i'll stay.

Once i feel like it's getting boring i won't force myself to stay for sure.
And yeah just starting right now

Death Stranding. Passed on it when originally released. Walking simulator and all that. When the director’s cut came out and it had a price drop I decided to play it. It was great.

The first time you make it to Port Knot City and the music kicks in. Damn.

DS2 day 1.

SHA

Mobile. I'm ashamed to play on mobile while usually I defend console and pc gaming but who gives a shit, it's 2024.

Last edited:
Blue Dragon. Not a Jrpg person, never played any of the old FF games, not into anime.
Saw it at discount in GameStop and said what the heck give it a whirl. Ended up finishing the game which is rare for me, most games I get bored with before the end.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Animal Crossing New Leaf.

I don’t get the point of this? I can go outside and do this shit.

Yeah well, I was pulling weeds and selling fossils like I had to pay for a drug addiction.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
FF tactics... really addictive..until it became too grindy then I stopped and never picked again .... maybe Ill try again sometime

Dr.Morris79

I played this for an hour or two and love the concept but never got fully in to it. Need to revisit. The new game “Expeditions” looks awesome as well.
I bought expeditions but dropped it after an hour, it just didn't have the same pull as Mudrunners or Snowrunner. I personally thought it was nowhere near as good. I still play Snowrunner to this day since it released though.

It's a weird one. You'd expect expeditions to have more of an explorer feeling, but it's Snowrunner that has the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere in the great unknown..

I'll go back to it someday though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
while i wasn't surprised to like Monser Hunter because i'd played a little bit of MHFU on Vita and did have fun for a couple days... i was not expecting MH:World to TAKE OVER MY LIFE for literally 1000+ hours. i even played Rise on PS5 for hundreds of hours... which i kind of soured on in endgame and made me long for World again. so i went back to World with a fresh save and put in another 300+ hours before forcing myself to delete it.

i think Wilds has the potential to replace all other games for me when it releases (for many months). would've never have imagined this while messing around in freedom unite.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Civilization II.

I used to watch my uncle play this on his PC in the late 90s. Never appealed to me at all. It just seemed so bland and boring.

Then a few years later a friend lent me Civ III and that was it. The penny dropped. I then understood why my uncle would spend so much time on it. From that moment I was hooked on the series and have been a fan ever since.

Sleepwalker

In the past month i have played like 50 hours of NBA2K24, I also downloaded MLB the show and top spin.

I don't even like baseball. I have a sealed copy of rebirth deluxe edition. Somebody help me get out of this sports hell.

Spyxos

Helldivers 2. I thought this was some kind of cheap f2p game. I had absolutely no interest in it. Then my friends convinced me to get it and I've now played it for almost 100 hours.

laynelane

Way back, my brother highly recommended Fallout 3 to me. I bought it and tried to play it several times and just couldn't get into it at all. Went back to it much later and it suddenly clicked. I ended up getting all the trophies, played the game as good/evil/neutral just to see the differences, and explored every nook and cranny of the map. It was the only thing I wanted to play for quite a while and it's led me to enjoying other games in the franchise too.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Strongest case I remembered is oblivion, I played it on friend's console and it sucked, then on pc with all the nude, costume, body, weapon, gameplay mods suddenly I become addicted to the game and ruined my console gaming experience, since then I've stayed on pc gaming 99% of the time and my xbox and ps3 were collecting dust.

Gp1

Hunter call of the wild / The Angler (I've never hunted in my entire life and always found fishing boring as fuck, even though i had some uncles and a grandfather that were into it)

Orcs must die 2-3 (endless mode is crack in a videogame form)

mystech

Deathloop took me by surprise since I don't care for Arkane studios. Amazing gameplay loop.
You've convinced me to give Deathloop another try. I think I went in to it expecting Dishonored and got severely disappointed. Maybe I need to give it a fresh go (plus I paid digitally so I'm stuck with it lol).

For me the game was Elden Ring. I never liked souls type games. never got past the first boss in the Dark Souls copy I got for Christmas one year... but there was something captivating about Elden Ring. When the scores came out it was even harder to ignore. The game kicked my ass and then... it finally clicked. Ever since then I've been hooked. It's the only game this generation that I've come back to. I can't wait for the DLC.

Top Bottom