• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth exposes the industry

This video isn't about the quality of Rebirth really more about how Square were correct not to chase high end graphics for every single asset and focus on FFs core strengths. I.e. amount of content, globe trotting adventure unique combat system etc.

If you have finished the game you know what I mean. The amount of unique content is staggering I'm at 170 hours on my first playthrough. I haven't really grinded or got stuck either. Whatever your thoughts are it's incredible this was shipped in 3 years.

It's interesting that the video author feels it's fine for other studios to push high end graphics as it's part of there identity like Naughty Dog.

Before you complain about FF Rebirth graphics a couple of things to consider.

Maxmillion Dude downloaded a 4k texture pack for FF Remake that was 49 gigs. How big would an equivalent be for Rebirth?

Ghost of tsushima, Last of Us Part 2 and Doom Eternal all released about the same time as Remake. FFVII has been out for 2 months, the studios of the above games haven't released a trailer between them for their next game.

What are your thoughts GAF? I think it's hard to argue with the above video. I think every studio should probably try to incrementally improve graphics at their own speed genre and budget depending. Chasing the cutting edge is ridiculous though only a small subset of studios should be attempting that.

Only Rockstar should be trying to attempt cutting edge graphics and massive scale and even they have there limits.

A big part of the success of Final Fantasy since FF6 has been that these games pushed visual boundaries in story telling. This is true of FF7 more than any franchise.

That FF7 Rebirth isn't a top selling game tells you everything you need to know about how one of the most highly anticipated game remakes has been met with significant disappointment.

I won't be surprised when GoT and TLOU3 all outsell FF7 Rebirth significantly... but you're also ignoring that Naughty Dog has released TLOU P1 since then.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Interesting. I have not yet played the FF7 remakes, someday I’ll sink my teeth into the “complete edition” which won’t come this gen.

However, if this is true, it’s good to see Square is learning from Monolithsoft.

Lokaum D+

- Ubisoft like exploration
- boring mini games everywhere
- hidden lore locked behind awful mini games
- forces gameplay with characters that no one wants to play.
- game is too long, section that once was an hour, now is 3/4 hours that adds nothing, ( midgarsorm on OG was way more impactfull than that swamp section on Rebirth as exemple ).

Game is Ok, but imo It exposes nothing, follow some really dated trends, bloats gameplay time without any good reasson and there is quantity over quality when doing sidecontent.

Last edited:

Kings Field

- borings mini games everywhere
- game is too long, section that once was an hour, now is 3/4 hours that dont adds nothing, ( midgarsorm on OG was way more impactfull than that swamp section on Rebirth as exemple ).

Game is Ok, but imo It exposes nothing, follow some really dated trends, bloats gameplay time without any good reasson and there is quantity over quality when doing sidecontent.

All of this.

Thaedolus

My friend who is an insane ffvii fan dropped it and said its full of ubisoft shit.

I'm still lookingg to play myself, just a bit gutted to hear.
You can absolutely just run through the main quests with very few exceptions…looking at you Costa del Sol and box tossing sections…

I think it does a pretty good job of rewarding you for exploring but also not punishing you for ignoring it. Once I got sick of the side content and just went for the story it never felt too difficult

A big part of the success of Final Fantasy since FF6 has been that these games pushed visual boundaries in story telling. This is true of FF7 more than any franchise.
It's completely unreasonable to expect Naughty Dog graphics with games of that scale.
That FF7 Rebirth isn't a top selling game tells you everything you need to know about how one of the most highly anticipated game remakes has been met with significant disappointment.
There's alot of reasons why FF is not the top seller it once was. I don't think no longer having the best graphics is one of them.
I won't be surprised when GoT and TLOU3 all outsell FF7 Rebirth significantly...
They will. If FF is forever stuck selling 5 to 10 million units then all the more reason to priotise resources.
but you're also ignoring that Naughty Dog has released TLOU P1 since then.
Meh this was about the lowest effort remake you could imagine well Square released a FF7 DLC as well. Anyway It's hard to appreciate the scale of FF7 rebirth unless you have played through it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“remake” a classic as a 3 part series that will take well over a decade of development time, cram it to the brim with filler and retarded Kingdom Hearts/Advent Children style dialog.

No thanks. The only positive about this series is it hopefully kept Nomura occupied so he couldn’t ruin anything else.

Go_Ly_Dow

- game is too long, section that once was an hour, now is 3/4 hours that dont adds nothing, ( midgarsorm on OG was way more impactfull than that swamp section on Rebirth as exemple ).

This is a poor take and as Colin Moritarty states, what Ubisoft open world game has the level of location variety, character variety, side content variety and mini game variety as Rebirth? I can't think of any.

A ton of the mini games are amazingly well built, like Chocobo racing and just very fun to play.

Going by your posts in the OT I recall you put in something like 150 hours into the game. It reminds me of one of my friends who will finish the main narrative path of a game and say he enjoyed it, then he can't help himself but try to platinum it and burns himself out in the process. Then he'll make it sound like its the worst game he's ever played. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Whether you like it or not doesn't matter.

It's the fact that they did all of the above in 3 years that's relevant. Especially considering development times and budgets are increasing all the time with high end graphics being one of the courses.

That square can ship a game with TOO MUCH content in 3 years is what's putting the industry on notice.

AJUMP23

I enjoyed ff7. But the chadley stuff is awful. Go to towers, go to springs, go to other things and hit a button to listen to this annoying person again. The game was much better when there were no chadley sections.

I focused on the summon for each area and that really became the only regional thing.

The story and cutscenes were great.

It's kind of exciting to me how divisive this game is, honestly...

I can already see that I may not like it, because of the aforementioned (by some people here) "Kingdom Hearts style dialogue" (I'm totally fine with KH dialogue, IN Kingdom Hearts. But not in FF 7).

But yeah, I heard people saying is like the best ever, and they are super looking forward to the third part, and others are incredibly disappointed or straight up say it's a really bad game...

In any case, I will give it a try, but my expectations are very low.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It shows they can’t make a 3D Chrono Trigger. My biggest gripe is I don’t see myself replaying this once it’s done. It’s good yes. It takes me back to 1997 when I was playing this on my PS1. It looks good and the cutscenes are superb. It’s just super boring at times. The walking scenes were atrocious. I still play old JRPGs and I enjoy the slower parts in those games a lot more than Rebirth.

Rebirth’s world was a lot more alive than 16’s world. I’m not spending all my time playing mini games or doing half the stuff they want me to play. The new music wasn’t that good either. The original OST is still superior. I am really excited for Part 3. I don’t think I’d replay this trilogy in the future and I’ve restarted classic RPGs multiple times. I would rather play a Japanese Action RPG with more replay value.

Maybe it shows those investors and CEOs what people enjoy over this Fortnite mentality.

Last edited:

Rockman33

This video isn't about the quality of Rebirth really more about how Square were correct not to chase high end graphics for every single asset and focus on FFs core strengths. I.e. amount of content, globe trotting adventure unique combat system etc.

If you have finished the game you know what I mean. The amount of unique content is staggering I'm at 170 hours on my first playthrough. I haven't really grinded or got stuck either. Whatever your thoughts are it's incredible this was shipped in 3 years.

It's interesting that the video author feels it's fine for other studios to push high end graphics as it's part of there identity like Naughty Dog.

Maxmillion Dude downloaded a 4k texture pack for FF Remake that was 49 gigs. How big would an equivalent be for Rebirth?

Ghost of tsushima, Last of Us Part 2 and Doom Eternal all released about the same time as Remake. FFVII has been out for 2 months, the studios of the above games haven't released a trailer between them for their next game.

What are your thoughts GAF? I think it's hard to argue with the above video. I think every studio should probably try to incrementally improve graphics at their own speed genre and budget depending. Chasing the cutting edge is ridiculous though only a small subset of studios should be attempting that.

Only Rockstar should be trying to attempt cutting edge graphics and massive scale and even they have there limits.

Isn’t it closer to 4 years? Still impressive these days though.

I think one of the main reasons it was developed more quickly is it’s a remake instead of a brand new game. Also it plays extremely similar to the first one.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's kind of exciting to me how divisive this game is, honestly...

I can already see that I may not like it, because of the aforementioned (by some people here) "Kingdom Hearts style dialogue" (I'm totally fine with KH dialogue, IN Kingdom Hearts. But not in FF 7).

But yeah, I heard people saying is like the best ever, and they are super looking forward to the third part, and others are incredibly disappointed or straight up say it's a really bad game...

In any case, I will give it a try, but my expectations are very low.

Not sure where they're getting that from. The writing, voice acting and characterisation is generally praised. It's very different to KH.

Thaedolus

Not sure where they're getting that from. The writing, voice acting and characterisation is generally praised. It's very different to KH.
Those are all the best parts of the game, what they did with the story and characters is actually quite amazing, and much better than what was in Remake. All of the characters come off better and more interesting than in the old games, and the way the game leans into the silliness and is willing to have fun is a breath of fresh air.

It’s not without some faults, but overall it’s pretty incredible we got this game and have another on the way

Go_Ly_Dow

Those are all the best parts of the game, what they did with the story and characters is actually quite amazing, and much better than what was in Remake. All of the characters come off better and more interesting than in the old games, and the way the game leans into the silliness and is willing to have fun is a breath of fresh air.

It’s not without some faults, but overall it’s pretty incredible we got this game and have another on the way
Agreed. A lot of love poured into the game by the devs on both small and large aspects of it.

SHA

I disagree with the Rockstar part, I prefer the source of great contents to be unknown cause otherwise there won't be a place for fresh contents with innovative ideas, and yes it's not just Nintendo's specialty, innovation should exist anywhere.

It shows they can’t make a 3D Chrono Trigger. My biggest gripe is I don’t see myself replaying this once it’s done. It’s good yes. It takes me back to 1997 when I was playing this on my PS1. It looks good and the cutscenes are superb. It’s just super boring at times. The walking scenes were atrocious. I still play old JRPGs and I enjoy the slower parts in those games a lot more than Rebirth.

Rebirth’s world was a lot more alive than 16’s world. I’m not spending all my time playing mini games or doing half the stuff they want me to play. The new music wasn’t that good either. The original OST is still superior. I am really excited for Part 3. I don’t think I’d replay this trilogy in the future and I’ve restarted classic RPGs multiple times. I would rather play a Japanese Action RPG with more replay value.

Maybe it shows those investors and CEOs what people enjoy over this Fortnite mentality.

None of the side quests in Chrono Trigger felt forced or stupid.

They all felt well woven into the fabric of the game. You WANTED to do the side quests.

All of FF7 Remake's side quests felt like they were created to pad the game's runtime.

They could have just remade FF7 with better graphics and voice acting and I feel like the game would have sold gangbusters. Instead they decide to create this silly Nomura inspired bloatfest of a trilogy. Ignoring the RPG fanbase that you know... made the franchise popular and decide to make it a midling action RPG.

Needs some QoL after completing open-world objectives:

-Complete task
-Banner pop-up
-Meter progress
-Chadley/Mai congratulations
-Map pop-up for next objective
-Character conversation/interaction/cutscene (less frequent)
-Control of character returned

It’s like this for the entire game. -_-

Last edited:

It captures the spirit of the original game, and from a time where video games were both serious and ridiculous at the same time.

Back to the original topic on hand, I agree this is exactly the graphical/content tradeoff games should be making. I agree there is a bit much Ubisoft shit in the game, but it's pretty limited and I would say very well organized. Your map isn't completely covered in bullshit and you can ignore the vast majority of the side content if you really want to mainline the story and call it. Yet for the people who enjoy the side content, there's a ton of it and I'd say the majority of it is very good (except for a select few minigames that are absolute ass - looking at you, Cactuar Crush). And even with all of that, there is still a fully fleshed out, meaty main story to play through with stunning cutscenes and otherwise good graphics. I would take this approach every single time over better graphics that I'll skip over because the world is boring and contentless.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

They all felt well woven into the fabric of the game. You WANTED to do the side quests.

All of FF7 Remake's side quests felt like they were created to pad the game's runtime.

They could have just remade FF7 with better graphics and voice acting and I feel like the game would have sold gangbusters. Instead they decide to create this silly Nomura inspired bloatfest of a trilogy. Ignoring the RPG fanbase that you know... made the franchise popular and decide to make it a midling action RPG.

Exactly. A remake in the style of SO2R would’ve been amazing and sold well.

Thaedolus

Chrono Trigger is a lightning in a bottle example that will never be repeated. Same with Super Metroid.

Rebirth’s side quests felt rewarding and worthwhile for the most part, but still are entirely optional. When I wanted to get to the end, I wasn’t held back because I was missing the side content, but I still feel like there’s a lot of game to go back to. That’s pretty much delivering on all you can ask for in a new open world game. If you want to just play the main story, you absolutely can

Chrono Trigger is a lightning in a bottle example that will never be repeated. Same with Super Metroid.

Rebirth’s side quests felt rewarding and worthwhile for the most part, but still are entirely optional. When I wanted to get to the end, I wasn’t held back because I was missing the side content, but I still feel like there’s a lot of game to go back to. That’s pretty much delivering on all you can ask for in a new open world game. If you want to just play the main story, you absolutely can

Like I said. Don't make an open world game if you can't build it out well.

Back in the day resources went towards ensuring the content was solid across the board. If you don't have the resources to do it like say Rockstar, don't do it.

If they just did a proper remaster style remake of FF7 and added voice acting, it would have sold really well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I remember Bosman talking about industry using the word 'content' as if its a good thing. Content for the sake of content is how you get bloated 170 hours games like rebirth that dont do anything particularly well but pad their games with mediocre 'content' to fool people into thinking they have delivered a quality title.
I wouldnt exactly shit on these studios until I see a game from them. What if they are doing more than just a graphics reboot? What if they are doing more than just remaking 1/3rd of the game like the FF7 team did? Arent ND and ID software are making new IPs? Sucker Punch is the only weird one, we shouldve seen a game by now, but again, without seeing it, I wouldnt make any assumptions. For all we know, they could be improving gameplay aspects to take advantage of the new hardware.

I think the graphics get way too much of the blame for the long dev cycles. We have seen straight sequels with zero graphics improvements like GOW Ragnorak take 4.5 years while Avatar with its brand new graphics take 4 years. Even Horizon FW which is a cross gen game that got a massive graphics boost unlike Ragnorak took just 0.5 more years than ragnorak.

zelda totk is literally the same map with literally the same graphics and it took 6 years. 1 year longer than HFW. Games take longer for a variety of reasons.

A lot of time its mismanagement. Like it was for Rocksteady with SS. They wasted a couple of years on other games before taking on SS and then realized that this SP team didnt know how to make a GaaS game.

Sony Bend wasted 2 years on Days Gone 2 pitches and an Uncharted spinoff that ND kept meddling with.

Bioware had wasted 5 years on various different prototypes before faking an Anthem demo after EA bosses stormed off seeing no good working prototypes.

Respawn made Jedi Survivor in just 3.5 years. 2x longer than the first game. And still managed to improve graphics despite being on the same UE4 engine like Rebirth.

Lets wait and see what these other games bring or dont bring before shitting on them.

Last edited:

Fbh

Haven't played rebirth but I agree with the video. The hyper focus on graphics and visual presentation to the smallest detail is hurting a lot of games.
IMO the moment Square went to shit was with the jump to HD. They tried to stick to their reputation of amazing graphics but their games suffered in every other way because of it. FFXIII to FFXVI have all been great looking games and yet they've all suffered in obvious ways, from the very linear nature of XIII to the boring empty world, terrible side quest and terrible RPG mechanics in XVI.

honestly, i'm having a hard time getting into FF7R and I loved the new Remake. It's like there's too much to do, too many mini games. idk, maybe I can't explain it well. And I'm still early in the game - Costa Del Sol. My final judgment isn't out yet on the game. I love the card game though. Maybe it's just the flow and tasks / quests you have to do in each area. It's a lot. I guess that's better than not enough.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

The only thing it exposes is that devs now feel forced to make overlylong games that last so long and get padded with so much meaningless sidecontent that you forget the mainstory beats and completely botch the entire pacing of the game itself making it a slog.

Thisis not pertaining to Rebirth as I haven't started it yet so can't give my opinion on it but in general touting over 100 hours for a game as a good thing for a heavy storydriven game will forever be the dumbest thing in my eyes.

Length does not equal a better game. In fact most of the time the product is severly hampered by the artificial extension of its runtime.Pacing suffers extremely because of it.Just see FFXVI and how much of a better game it would have been without the extra fetch quests and stupid sidestories.

I'd rather have a thoroughly impressive highly replayable 40 hour game than a 100+ hour slog anyday.

That's not to say it applies to every game,Elden Ring is my favourite game of all time and I clocked in 180 hours on my first playthrough so there are examples of it being done in a proper manner,and the same could be said for Rebirth after I play it i don't know but even then I'd argue even ER would have been better were it shorter as certain aspects are inferior to other Soulsborne games because of the length.

Killjoy-NL

Honestly, although I loved Rebirth, most of the content outside of the main story was needless padding.

Even the story had sections the game could do without.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
- call it “Remake” when it’s really some multiverse fan fiction bullshit

- start it as a contract job, later move it in house and reboot development because of quality concerns

- will easily take over a decade to complete + will likely span 3 console generations

- pump it with filler that nobody wants in order to justify selling it as 3 separate full priced games

- steep drop in sales for part 2 compared to the first

Yeah I’m sure the industry + investors are taking notice but not in the way OP imagines.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
yeah that's what I have been saying. The game is full of unique objects/areas.

Not the same boring as repeating textures and objects. It's the only graphics detail that has really wowed me in a long time.

I just want a modern remake of Dirge of Cerberus at this point. Maybe they can outsource the gameplay to PlatinumGames or Team Ninja.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I put around 130 hours in to Rebirth but I never the game was “padding” and maybe because unlike most people here I enjoyed the side quests.

But then again these people calling everything ”padding” because they seem to want to finish the game as fast as possible so the can move on to the next game.

squarealex

Mais là encore, ces gens appellent tout ”padding” parce qu'ils semblent vouloir terminer le jeu le plus rapide possible afin de pouvoir passer au jeu vivant.
Old FF games since FF7 need 30-40h to finish the mainquest... Not 60h and not in 3 parts, each 60h, that's so stupid.

When you need to rush, that's because, story have bad pace, nothing moving and you doing shit for some hours with bad sidequest, mini-games or some dumb story arc

I'm pretty sure in six month, more people have finished FF16 than FF7 Rebirth.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Old FF games since FF7 need 30-40h to finish the mainquest... Not 60h and not in 3 parts, each 60h, that's so stupid.

When you need to rush, that's because, story have bad pace, nothing moving and you doing shit for some hours with bad sidequest, mini-games or some dumb story arc

I'm pretty sure in six month, more people have finished FF16 than FF7 Rebirth.
I was enjoyed the story and enjoyed the side quests, even after 130 hours I never felt the game was wasting my time. 🤷‍♂️

Gambit2483

I was enjoyed the story and enjoyed the side quests, even after 130 hours I never felt the game was wasting my time. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed...but apparently not everyone enjoys side content that doesn't include major high production cutscenes. Sometimes side content that "merely" adds to the world/lore is good enough for some of us....but apparently not for everyone

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I put around 130 hours in to Rebirth but I never the game was “padding” and maybe because unlike most people here I enjoyed the side quests.

But then again these people calling everything ”padding” because they seem to want to finish the game as fast as possible so the can move on to the next game.
The entire trilogy is padding IMO. They want you to pay $210 for FFVII-2. And Rebirth is 50% minigames no matter how you slice it. The mere fact if you grind out levels/materia in Remake for your level to not carry over and set you back to 21(?) sounds like padding to me. Not to mention all your materia just goes poof.

And they rely on save data for summons like Leviathan and Ramuh. Pretty bad move IMO.

If I can use Password transfer on an old game like Golden Sun to keep all my stuff there really is no reason why in modern gaming we can't have the game scan for save data and just give us all the stuff we acquired from the previous game if it's a ongoing adventure.

What did the party do offscreen? Dump all their gear into the Ocean?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Agreed...but apparently not everyone enjoys side content that doesn't include major high production cutscenes. Sometimes side content that "merely" adds to the world/lore is good enough for some of us....but apparently not for everyone
Wow you guys are so enlightened, so patient, so wise! I’ve seen the light, thanks to your self-aggrandizing passive aggressive comment.

It must be difficult living amongst all these ignorant gaijin dudebros.

If you have finished the game you know what I mean. The amount of unique content is staggering I'm at 170 hours on my first playthrough. I haven't really grinded or got stuck either. Whatever your thoughts are it's incredible this was shipped in 3 years...
is this now understood to be an objective 'positive'? doesn't it matter at all as to just how much fun all that 'unique content' actually is?...

Top Bottom