• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with fun movement mechanics?

cireza

Came here to cite Jet Set Radio, was not disappointed.

Also the MD Sonic games had great inertia/momentum.

Last edited:

Larxia

Tony Hawk

Sunset Overdrive

Also SSX 3 and SSX 2012 (sorry for tricky fans but movements are quite more stiff in that one even if it has qualities).
Gravity Rush
Mirror's Edge / Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Bought "Chariot" on the Switch, Movement Mechanics is what this game is all about. Starts out simple and fun then gets more and more challenging and has you pulling off some big stunts to reach platforms.
Has a Coop mode that is fun.

Banned
Titanfall 1 was better maps for fluid traversal imo

Titanfall 2's movement is way more momentum based tho and the maps absolutely allow for some really crazy movement if you're good.

Titanfall 2 burthed a whole movement tech based community that tries to make more and more crazy montages on how to fly across the maps with style and speed.

Titanfall 1 actually feels slow in comparison if you played Titanfall 2 for a while.

SirTerry-T

Exo-One
bQV5xdf.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also the MD Sonic games had great inertia/momentum.
was worried no one mentioned that franchise in this thread, those games are sheer dopamine to me
Also, Fancy Pants. It's only in 2d but if you can get over that... well, the footage speaks for itself

(don't worry there's an X360/PS3 version as well)

And Quake as well, Titanfall has already been recommended enough but Quake was the original granddaddy of this fast FPS movement stuff

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Any game where you can bunny hop like a mad man. Quake and DUSK come to mind.

NinjaBoiX

Returnal can be a violence dash ballet frequently.
I still suck at this game (not beaten the first boss yet) but the movement is very gratifying; it’s very immediate and tactile, very Housemarque.

Even just sprinting from area to area is fun, which is just as well to keep crap players like me engaged and plugging away at it!

dickpretzel

Banned
Uncharted 4, littlebigplanet(swinging is really satisfying), mirrors edge catalyst, original mw2. Never played boneworks but movement looks fun

Last edited:

intbal

A lot of the puzzles in Limbo are momentum-based. Whether or not that is "fun" is up to each gamer.

Also, the Original Xbox game Galleon has unique movement mechanics. They're usually more frustrating than fun, but it's worth a look if you're interested in different takes on player movement.

Ogbert

Mario Odyssey has the best moment to moment gameplay of any game I’ve ever played. In fact, Mario in general.

Second place: Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Absolute masterpiece.

Honourable mentions: BoTW, Doom Eternal, Sunset Overdrive and Gravity Rush 2.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve honestly got to say Mario 64, even to this day. I specifically remember my first time holding that trident of a pad, moving that chubby little plumber around that colourful, toy box environment with seemingly boundless freedom.

It was a genuinely game changing moment, the previous two dimensional walls of movement torn down in front of my very eyes.

As a slightly aged poster on this forum, I understand that not everyone will understand quite how liberating this game was at the time.

An epoch making piece of software, I don’t think I’ll ever be so staggered again.

Fbh

I recently played through Ghost Runner and really enjoyed the movement and sense of momentum in it.
It doesn't introduce any particularly new or innovative mechanic, but it uses existing ones like wall running, grappling hook, rails, etc really well and the one hit kill concept (for both you and enemies) makes you stay on the move constantly.
I miss having more games like this with some more skill based platforming instead of autopilot uncharted

GraciousWhiteIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

Ghostrunner-gif-06.gif

giphy.gif

Hoppa

InFamous second son, didn’t think too much of the game myself but gliding through the map when the neon power is unlocked is very satisfying.

Hades might be the last time I noticed a character had good movement and flow.. Ratchet was good too

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Links lateral swing, and really the Goron roll in Majoras mask shows great movement.

I really like the horse in Elden Ring and Bloodhound Step Skill pre-patch. I used to hate horse riding in most games and would have much prefered a vehicle, but double jump maneuverability is so fun.

Also, grappling hook and gliding cape in Batman Arkham games.

Last edited:

Codes 208

You know what? credit where its due, traveling via grappleshot is one of the few things halo infinite got right. Like really right.

Oh, also elden ring. The hoppy horse was a fun way of traversing such a giant map

Last edited:
There’s a cool indie FP that I grabbed on PS some time ago, on ps4 probably. I can’t find it in my library right now, but it was on an island or desolate place and felt like a first person platformer. Something like the main character woke up on a small boat at the beginning? I can’t for the life of me remember the name, but running around around and doing insane jumps and shit in third person in that game was amazing. I would love if someone could call out the game.

Top Bottom