• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with fun movement mechanics?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity-Rush-2-gif-3.gif
SEJjLMn.gif

M4hnOCz.gif

Last edited:

Banned
Titanfall 2's movement is amazing,
fast, fluent, dynamic, deep but easy to get started at.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst also has super fun movement
once you unlocked all the moves (the need to unlock moves on the other hand was the single worst game design decision they made).
the game's online functionality (which EA shut down sadly... fuck em) also incentivized experimentation.
you try to get up some really crazy part of a building, and then you leave behind a marker, and other players see that marker and are incentivized to try and also get up there.
or you leave behind a custom race track for people to master etc.

radewagon

OOoooh. Neat topic.

For my money:
  • Infamous: Second Son: The number one reason it's my favorite in the series is the freedom of movement when traversing the city. The other titles are far too restrictive.
  • Assassin's Creed Unity: The ability to parkour up vs. down is a game changer. Shame the newer games have made the traversal so mundane.
  • Shantae: Pirate's Curse: Movement once you've acquired all her abilities is just a dream.
  • Devil May Cry: The stinger's importance can not be overstated. The ability to close gaps so quickly keeps the action moving like few other games.
Honorable Mention:
  • Saints Row IV: It's like Second Son but too OP.

Dishonorable Mentions:
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: Moving is such a bloody chore. It kills the pacing of the game. I feel like it takes more time to do stuff in game than in real life.
  • Dead Rising: The whole series. It's just blegh. I get that it's the point. And I like the series. . . but seriously, blegh.

I'll let other people bring up Spiderman and explain it better than I would.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Super Mario 3D World as well. I can't speak for the Switch version since they changed movement to full 3D, but the Wii U's locked 8 direction movement sounds awful on paper but holy smokes does it work. Some of the twisty platforms, just straight turbo running through that stuff as Toad, the controls are so incredibly tight. Amazing game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sunset Overdrive really made you feel like you failed every time you walked on a flat surface lol, with often barely any incentive they kept you wanting to always parkour around just because it felt so good to stay off the ground
I've been wanting to play that game for years. You just reminded me that my brother offered to mail me his xbox one since he has no use for it anymore.

Banned
I've been wanting to play that game for years. You just reminded me that my brother offered to mail me his xbox one since he has no use for it anymore.

it's also on PC btw. if you have access to a decent one. no 30fps cap on that version :)
like a GTX1050ti runs it at 60fps ultra at 1080p, doesn't need too much horsepower

Last edited:

Banned
No traversal variety in InFamous: Second Son.. now that's a first. Congratz.

OP asked for fun movement mechanics, nothing topped this to me. Just Cause games a second close.

I mean most of the time you just hold down a button and here and there you press jump. not what I would call fun for long. it might be for a minute but it gets old really fast imo.

Just Cause 3 and 4 do have some crazy shit you can do at least. people pull off the most insane grapple combos in these games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ghostwire: Tokyo too. Once you realize it's largely a platformer, the game just takes on a whole new style. The running, climbing, gliding feel great in that game. Love the combat too with dodging projectiles like a shmup and parrying stuff. It's just a big arcade game at it's core.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I mean most of the time you just hold down a button and here and there you press jump. not what I would call fun for long. it might be for a minute but it gets old really fast imo.

Just Cause 3 and 4 do have some crazy shit you can do at least. people pull off the most insane grapple combos in these games.
Never played 4 but in 3, grappling people to a rocket and then shooting said rocket never got old. It's so funny to watch enemies just ragdoll in the air. Same with grappling a jet to the runway right before takeoff. Holy shit that is funny to see a fighter jet flying erratically 5 feet off the ground, lol.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Spider-Man
Gravity Rush 1 & 2
Control
Metroid Dread
Returnal

I honestly don’t believe there are FPS games with satisfying movement/traversal outside of maybe portal

Last edited:
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Spider-Man
Gravity Rush 1 & 2
Control
Metroid Dread
Returnal

I honestly don’t believe there are FPS games with satisfying movement/traversal outside of maybe portal
I have the exact opposite opinion all of these games felt kinda clunky to me as fun as they were. Third person feels less precise by nature in imo

Ghostwire: Tokyo too. Once you realize it's largely a platformer, the game just takes on a whole new style. The running, climbing, gliding feel great in that game. Love the combat too with dodging projectiles like a shmup and parrying stuff. It's just a big arcade game at it's core.
Have to disagree. If they wanted it to be a platformer they should’ve made that skill that lets you spawn the flying dude to grapple to a story unlock. As it stands I skipped it because it took way too much XP, and trying to find dudes to grapple to do anything with height was way too tedious.

NinjaBoiX

Just Cause 2, without a doubt. They absolutely NAILED the weight and momentum for the grapple and parachute.

Never got it quite right again in the sequels.

Meh, it’s just a hovering blur. Might as well be a 3D cursor picking a new spawn point.

Crayon

For typical 3d character control I'm going to say botw. The subtlety in the controls still blows me away.

Tekken 7 and GGST both have sublime movement. Tekken's has always been especially interesting. A thousand thank you's to to arksys for putting in that dash button. Instant air dashes were taking years off my last good wrist.

Gotta say mechwarrior games. It's always going to be hard to sell that shit when it's first person and has guns but doesn't have a standard cod control scheme. You want to believe they could never do that but anything is possible and my mech piloting skills have carrried on for a quarter of a century now.

Just Cause had basic movement except those hook+parachute antics are fucking legendary.

Jennings

City of Heroes.

Super Jump, Teleport, Super Speed, flying, lev.

I could spend hours just socializing with people in the game and super jumping/speeding around to one mission or another.

shiru

Banned
Super Mario 64, Sunshine & 3D World. Honestly all 3D Mario games have such fun controls.
Batman Arkham City. Using the grappling hook, flying off buildings, gliding- All very satisfying.
Bionic Commando. Best traversal & grappling hook mechanics & physics of all time. Super enjoyable.
Megaman X. Dash boots. First game with dash jump mechanics I ever played. 10/10 movement.
Just Cause 2 with the dual parachute thrusters. Nothing is better.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ori 1&2

Neon White looks amazing but I’ve not played it yet

Tony Hawks 1&2

I feel like good 3D platformers have good movement

Celeste

Top Bottom