• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo might be the only one who could use Ray Tracing as a gameplay mechanic rather than a pretty reflections.

Underneath every Nintendo "gimmick" there is some new way of using something different than the status quo.

I can't really find any games that have used RTX, Ray Tracing other than reflective glass or water.

Even it's older brother, SSR, or Screenspace Reflections, has been only used as intended.

And Ray Tracing Audio is another under utilized mechanic that could have a game built around it.

do you know of any games that use reflective surfaces as a game mechanic?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo could use raytracing or they could achieve an equivalent result through cubemaps or screenspace. Raytracing doesn't provide any gameplay mechanics that Nintendo could feasibly make use of in their games. It's just there for pretty graphics, and that's ok.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
YeyjFbH.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nintendo could use raytracing or they could achieve an equivalent result through cubemaps or screenspace. Raytracing doesn't provide any gameplay mechanics that Nintendo could feasibly make use of in their games. It's just there for pretty graphics, and that's ok.

The whole premise is that Nintendo would think of ways Devs cannot any fathom let alone a neogaf poster.. .:messenger_grinning_smiling:

bender

What time is it?
What if Nintendo introduces a new character named Ray and then in the next WarioWare, they create a micro game where Ray is in different poses and the player has to use motion or touch controls to trace an outline of Ray in the various poses before the time runs out?

Hitman 2 & 3 use reflections as a gameplay mechanic. If you're trying to sneak up on someone taking a piss and there's a huge bathroom mirror in front of him, he's going to see you.

Edit: beaten while I was trying to find a gif example. Couldn't find any because apparently gfycat shut down

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Light passing through portals in portal rtx is a gimmick but so cool cuz you know where the energy ball is before you actually look through the portal.

The blinds pot viewers in Alan wake let you look around corners just like in real life.

Raytraced audio works so well, I really hope SplinterCell uses it so I can pinpoint enemies well before I see them.

Xdrive05

Reflections are the least interesting thing that ray tracing can do. RTGI and lighting is about 100 times more impressive and important to the immersion of a scene. See: Metro Exodus EE, Fortnite Lumen. Minecraft RTX, Lego Builders Journey, etc.

That said, it is kind of in Nintendo's wheelhouse to take an existing technology and find a gameplay application for it.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

probably in some way, yes Nintendo is always trying something in their core design

but RT is not something i see changing much, the 3D screen on 3DS the most they used it was in Mario 3D Land , of course its a cool feature but they didn't rely too heavily on it

Im not even sure what RT a Switch 2 will have, if any,also it won't be the main gimmick

Kataploom

Gold Member
probably in some way, yes Nintendo is always trying something in their core design

but RT is not something i see changing much, the 3D screen on 3DS the most they used it was in Mario 3D Land , of course its a cool feature but they didn't rely too heavily on it

Im not even sure what RT a Switch 2 will have, if any,also it won't be the main gimmick
I played that game with 3D because that effect always felt uncomfortable to look at for me...

Hudo

Raytracing can (and is) also used to simulate sound travel to approximate some effects like hall or sound dampening and the like. Dunno how prevalent this is, though. We also used raytracing in one project (but with a different model instead of the standard Kajiya radiance model) to simulate particle travel in human tissue. RT can be used for a lot of things.

midnightAI

Underneath every Nintendo "gimmick" there is some new way of using something different than the status quo.

I can't really find any games that have used RTX, Ray Tracing other than reflective glass or water.

Even it's older brother, SSR, or Screenspace Reflections, has been only used as intended.

And Ray Tracing Audio is another under utilized mechanic that could have a game built around it.

Ray tracing is much more than just reflections as has been mentioned. As for ray traced audio, not really new but is quite new using hardware acceleration, Returnal features hardware ray traced audio for example.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Isn’t Ray tracing when you draw over the same exact thing, like right on top of it, without going outside the original designated art?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This is just as bad as those "what engine is the best?" threads lol

What about Nintendo's output over their last 3 consoles gives you the impression that they're even remotely interested in something like this?

Cyberpunk in Overdrive, Alan Wake 2 both use path tracing which is essentially RT for everything not just reflections. No gameplay use as that would screw over people not on RTX cards and console gamers.

Mister Wolf

I can definitely see Monolith Soft using Nvidia's RTXGI. They have never prioritized resolution or 60fps.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If they wanted to use real time reflections as part of gameplay they could already do it without ray tracing and even do so in a 2D game on SNES or wherever. You know, like racing games had working mirrors long before ray tracing by just rendering a behind view (btw, that's used for gameplay).

And even before thinking to actually render mirror views they often had other ways to inform the player of incoming rivals like moving arrows on the screen behind your car (whether in standard modern 3D or top down games) which served the same goal, allowing players to anticipate and block.

Same as we had games where you alternated between two, or more, different planes or dimensions or times or even simultaneously play on them before "SSD power" came. Developers device mechanics and work with the technology they have. Reflections have been used by Nintendo and others.

Same as we had games use the character shadows as a mechanic in any number of ways long before we had ray traced lighting or even any form of what's considered dynamic shadows the last decade or two. RT is eye candy and makes it a bit easier for devs to manage scene lighting etc., that's it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
RT is a out far more than reflections. It could definitely have gameplay implications in the sense of building games with highly dynamic environments or lighting, but that's probably not as gimmicky as what you meant. Maybe a game like portal where portals can be used to light the way?

But I wouldn't hold.pit hope that Nintendo of all companies is going to use RT to great effect. I just don't think the hardware is gonna be that good at it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Im honestly struggling to think of a way this could be used as any kind of meaningful gaming mechanic beyond how reflections are used in real life or in games already with non-ray traced 'tricks'. Maybe some kind of hide and seek type game?

Thief is the best game for Ray-Tracing period. Darkness is the mechanic in the game and full-path ray tracing can be used as a means to maximize your exploitation for the light.

I used to love Nintendo until I realized I am paying what I call "Nintendo tax" - paying 20% more money for a game that is 5% better but on simpler hardware.

And overusing hardware quirks like wiimote or wii u extra screen got boring after a short while, that's why those consoles are rarelly talked now and games didn't make any impact. It also costed them in the long run, because they cannot port over games from those systems, but they have to rework them.

I don't agree, let's say you have enemies off screen you could still see a reflection or shadow or both of them with Raytracing and that's a gameplay advantage.

Kenpachii

breath of the wild made use of light and shadows to solve puzzles to get shrines activated.

I dunno what RTX could possible offer for a gameplay mechanic.

tusharngf

They are behind 10yrs compared to other first party studios. Nintendo needs to fix the console features first. At least add achievements system then think about ray tracing. No doubt they make the best games but tech wise they are far behind.

Top Bottom