• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

wanders

Can anybody tell me if reserving games on BestBuy.com charges you at checkout or not until the game releases?

Terminal for preordering is down at my local one, so online is the only option.

You don't need the terminal to preorder at a store as far as I know as it is integrated in the POS system.

Any rep can ring you up for a pre order, as long as they know how.

EDIT: Charges when it ships

TomShoe

Banned
Yeah my shopping experiences are fairly bad at Best Buy but the value of GCU more than makes up for their general incompetence.

Probably helps that I have like 8 years for ~$30

At least you're not constantly harassed like at Gamestop. My shopping at Best Buy has always been simple and smooth. Walk in, grab my game, go to the counter, pay, and leave.

wanders

Yeah my shopping experiences are fairly bad at Best Buy but the value of GCU more than makes up for their general incompetence.

Probably helps that I have like 8 years for ~$30

What bad shopping experiences have you had and when if you don't mind me asking.

Any idea of what games might be added to the pre-order bonus?

I'm going to pre-order The Witcher 3 soon and benefit from the $10 gift card, and I already have Quantum Break and Halo 5 pre-ordered.

Hoping some more titles for 2015 are announced.

At least you're not constantly harassed like at Gamestop. My shopping at Best Buy has always been simple and smooth. Walk in, grab my game, go to the counter, pay, and leave.

That is true. The largest downside I find with best buy is the slowness of their trade in process although I guess that might just be that store

What bad shopping experiences have you had and when if you don't mind me asking.

Perhaps bad is a step too far? I've traded in two games so far and as at my local best buy you have to trade in at the customer service/online order pickup desk, it takes over 10 minutes to complete the trade-in but maybe I had newer employees working?

The other thing is I'm used to shopping on Amazon who have some of the best customer service out there so I could certainly be a bit spoiled. Best Buy is decent for shipping most things but I wanted to buy a pair of earbuds just last week at best buy but couldn't even get them shipped to store quick enough for the holidays.

That is true. The largest downside I find with best buy is the slowness of their trade in process although I guess that might just be that store

Perhaps bad is a step too far? I've traded in two games so far and as at my local best buy you have to trade in at the customer service/online order pickup desk, it takes over 10 minutes to complete the trade-in but maybe I had newer employees working?

The other thing is I'm used to shopping on Amazon who have some of the best customer service out there so I could certainly be a bit spoiled. Best Buy is decent for shipping most things but I wanted to buy a pair of earbuds just last week at best buy but couldn't even get them shipped to store quick enough for the holidays.
I'm spoiled by Amazon also, I have student prime so getting video games shipped to me on release date is something I expect. . not with Best Buy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

In my one trade in experience it was really slow, but only because the girl had no sense of urgency at all. She just took her time, then their printer was out of paper so she had to get some so I could get my receipt, and that alone took around 5 minutes.
I'm spoiled by Amazon also, I have student prime so getting video games shipped to me on release date is something I expect. . not with Best Buy.
I was supposed to get Captain Toad and Smash Bros on release day, but both were late. Smash was their fault and they gave me $10 credit, and Captain Toad was a UPS error.

Maybe next time?

Vercimber

Man, I'm vacillating on this. Can someone confirm something for me (likely for the ninth time in this thread?) I buy the card in store and then can take advantage of 20% off, etc. (I don't do trade-ins) all online, right?

As long as I only have to walk into a BB one time and then order everything else online, it should be okay. I have a misanthropic nerve snapped every time I walk into the place, challenged only by Wal-Mart.

Man, I'm vacillating on this. Can someone confirm something for me (likely for the ninth time in this thread?) I buy the card in store and then can take advantage of 20% off, etc. (I don't do trade-ins) all online, right?

As long as I only have to walk into a BB one time and then order everything else online, it should be okay. I have a misanthropic nerve snapped every time I walk into the place, challenged only by Wal-Mart.

Yes, it works only, go to the store, get the membership, never go to store again, take advantage of 48 dollar new releases and free shipping online.

In my one trade in experience it was really slow, but only because the girl had no sense of urgency at all. She just took her time, then their printer was out of paper so she had to get some so I could get my receipt, and that alone took around 5 minutes.

I was supposed to get Captain Toad and Smash Bros on release day, but both were late. Smash was their fault and they gave me $10 credit, and Captain Toad was a UPS error.

Maybe next time?

Do you have to pay for release date delivery? There is a BB 10 blocks away from my apartment and I just rather go there when I have the chance than pay for the delivery.

Do you have to pay for release date delivery? There is a BB 10 blocks away from my apartment and I just rather go there when I have the chance than pay for the delivery.

9 times out of 10 preordering with value (free) shipping gets the game at your door the day after release and sometimes day of. Assuming you didn't preorder 2 days before release.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Their system is kind of dumb. It shows standard shipping options a while before release, but eventually changes over to a single "preorder" shipping option, which is free. That is supposed to get you the game on release day.

Or at least that's how it was on both games I preordered.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So, I was staring at the pre-order wall today and saw an extreme lack of "Pre-order for $10" stuff. The only one that was featured was Evolve. Are these already set in stone, did they nerf the amount, liek, what's up?

TomShoe

Banned
So, I was staring at the pre-order wall today and saw an extreme lack of "Pre-order for $10" stuff. The only one that was featured was Evolve. Are these already set in stone, did they nerf the amount, liek, what's up?

Who knows with Best Buy. They might already be set, as I don't think they've added any since the deal started. Here's hoping they'll put Bloodborne and The Order up, I really want certs for those.

netguy503

I'm making this post as I'm a junior member and can't make new threads (can someone make a new thread so this gets more attention please).

This week only (1/4-1/10) Best Buy is having a promotion that stacks with GCU (where each game is only $48 dollars) where if you trade in a selected PS4/XB1 title you get $30 minimum toward Dying Light ( a game which is also a part of their "get $10 back for pre-order" promotion). Here is the list of games that qualify:

Alien: Isolation
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
The Crew
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
Dragon Age: Inquisition
DriveClub
The Evil Within
Far Cry 4
FIFA 15
Forza Horizon 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
Little Big Planet 3
Lords of the Fallen
Madden NFL 15
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
MotoGP 14
MXGP: The Official Motocross Videogame
NBA 2K15
NBA Live 15
NHL 15
Samurai Warriors 4
Shape Up
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive
Sniper Elite III: Afrika
Sunset Overdrive
WWE 2K15

I also have $15 in rewards points from just buying games/using the "$10 pre-order" program so my total out of pocket will be $7 for a day 1 PS4 game and they are giving me $10 back for it. They are giving me more money than I am putting in. That's crazy stupid. The same thing happened to me with COD:AW. I only paid $7 for the day zero edition because of all the free money/points I have gotten from GCU and got $10 back from them.

I LOVE GCU!!!!

coolasj19

Does using gift cards for pre-orders really disqualify the purchase from gaining points? I mean, I guess that'd be mega overpowered, buying games for $50, flipping them back for $44 and getting nearly a $5 gift certificate in the meanwhile (double points). And the $10 certificate for pre-ordering... Alright, know what? I take that back.

We a'ight BB'.

FUuuuuu. It won't let me do it online. Gotta go to the store.

EDIT:
PSA : You can't use Gift Certificates on Pre-Orders.

Does using gift cards for pre-orders really disqualify the purchase from gaining points? I mean, I guess that'd be mega overpowered, buying games for $50, flipping them back for $44 and getting nearly a $5 gift certificate in the meanwhile (double points). And the $10 certificate for pre-ordering... Alright, know what? I take that back.

We a'ight BB'.

FUuuuuu. It won't let me do it online. Gotta go to the store.

EDIT:
PSA : You can't use Gift Certificates on Pre-Orders.

Hmm you're supposed to be able to for online pre-orders I thought although maybe they closed that loop-hole?

That's why I always try to convert my gift certificates into gift cards via trading in a game I still want to keep and buying it again with gift certificates, did it with COD:AW. Traded it in at $30 plus $3 from GCU bonus and bought it at $40 minus $8 from GCU discount, paid with $30 of reward certificates and effectively converted them into gift cards while making $2.16 off the trade-in in the process.

Tomorrow I plan on picking up the PS4 copy of Dying Light I have pre-ordered, and using the $10 off coupon I got for trading in CODAW as I believe it stacks with GCU. So I'm hoping it's $60 - $12 GCU Discount - $10 off coupon so $38 before tax and then just selling it as I could use the money over the best buy certificates.

Oh and if I do get it at $38 plus tax, that doesn't even account for the $10 in extra reward certificates I'll get lol, best buy you crazy

Also PSA: BB has a 30% additional trade-in credit going on until Sunday for videgames.

Which stacks with the GCU bonus of 10% which is not too shabby

arevin01

They dont seem to train the clerk on how to apply the GCU 10% bonus in additional to best buy 50% trade in bonus. She just look dumbfounded on what to do as it wasn't an option in the moniter. Had to take a manager to do it.

I just tried pre-ordering online using a gift card and 1. Gave some error about exceeding inventory and removed from my cart 2. Didn't allow gift cards to be used for bonus points. I swear, if it weren't for the gamer club, I would never, EVER go to BB. Literally every experience is a pain in the ass with that business

They dont seem to train the clerk on how to apply the GCU 10% bonus in additional to best buy 50% trade in bonus. She just look dumbfounded on what to do as it wasn't an option in the moniter. Had to take a manager to do it.

So I read this on a cheapassgamer thread which now of course I can't find for the life of me but basically it said that your best buy membership had to be added [phone number entered] at a specific page of the checkout process for trade-ins for it to register. One of the times I traded in the person behind the counter didn't know how to activate it either and got a manager over but managed to figure it out just as she arrived. It's unfortunate but GCU is such good value I can't complain

Nintendad

I got Dying Light today and they scanned my card and I didn't end up getting the discount. Anyone else have this problem? Can I just go back in and have it fixed?

Xamdou

I got Dying Light today and they scanned my card and I didn't end up getting the discount. Anyone else have this problem? Can I just go back in and have it fixed?

Are you talking about the 20% off GCU discount? Give them your phone number on file since your card don't work.

Oh so apparently one-time coupons stack with GCU. There was a promotion a little while back that if you traded in certain games, you'd get a $10 off coupon for Dying Light.

Unfortunately coupon gets taken off first so it was

$60 - $10 coupon - $10 GCU Discount [20% of $50] so $40 for Dying Light day of not even counting the $10 reward certificates I got

coolasj19

Did anyone else get their Dying Light "Victory Can Be Pre-Ordered" $10 coupon? Cause I didn't. Also, just went to Walmart and price matched the GCU price of Persona Q. It says "Promotional Price" on the mobile site. only like the 3rd or something copy left in Houston =P

Did anyone else get their Dying Light "Victory Can Be Pre-Ordered" $10 coupon? Cause I didn't.

By coupon, I assume you mean $10 reward certificates from this offer?

If so, is this your first instance of using this offer [pre-ordering then buying for a $10 RZ]? Because as has always been the case with this offer and as explicitly stated on that website and in this thread a couple of times

Points will post to your account approximately 15 days from time of pickup or shipment.

I think I've had the points maybe a day earlier than the 15 day window once? The window exists to prevent returns I believe.

coolasj19

By coupon, I assume you mean $10 reward certificates from this offer?
If so, is this your first instance of using this offer [pre-ordering then buying for a $10 RZ]? Because as has always been the case with this offer and as explicitly stated on that website and in this thread a couple of times
I think I've had the points maybe a day earlier than the 15 day window once? The window exists to prevent returns I believe.
I'll reword it. Because I know about that. But, the points aren't even pending. It has 0 points pending (I paid with a gift card). Either way, I'll just wait a couple of weeks and dish it out with BB if something happens.

I'll reword it. Because I know about that. But, the points aren't even pending. It has 0 points pending (I paid with a gift card). Either way, I'll just wait a couple of weeks and dish it out with BB if something happens.

That's perfectly normal. Points for the $10 RZ won't show up at all until they show up, there is no pending state for them. However you can verify if you qualify by looking for the pre-order transaction with the "My Best Buy SKU:1532784" in it shown below on my account.

15782652594_7881643703_o.png

And then checking if the same thing is on your actual purchase of the game shown below

16219218297_81b470e734_o.png

Points for the $10 Rewards certificates will eventually be added to your game purchase transaction

Velcro Fly

Love getting 20% off amiibos and then getting double reward points for them. Toon Link and Bowser shipped yesterday and since I ordered them more than 15 days ago I instantly get the reward points.

seat

That's perfectly normal. Points for the $10 RZ won't show up at all until they show up, there is no pending state for them. However you can verify if you qualify by looking for the pre-order transaction with the "My Best Buy SKU:1532784" in it shown below on my account.

Good info! Thanks for sharing. I get a little worried that I won't get my certificate if it doesn't come soon after picking up a game.

Afrikan

man I just love this...

just pre-ordered The Order for $41 (after using $10 Rewards Certificate)

I've been on Media Blackout for a while now, and just looking forward to experiencing their game.

it's too bad this game wasn't one of the games that would've gave me a new $10 Rewards Certificate, but oh well. :D

Does BB keep track of preorders? I can't remember if I preordered a third game along with my other two from last year and I can't find the receipts.

man I just love this...

just pre-ordered The Order for $41 (after using $10 Rewards Certificate)

I've been on Media Blackout for a while now, and just looking forward to experiencing their game.

it's too bad this game wasn't one of the games that would've gave me a new $10 Rewards Certificate, but oh well. :D

I'm about to do this too. I have a Reward expiring in like three days so I want to use it up. Its the only game coming out this month I want.

Does BB keep track of preorders? I can't remember if I preordered a third game along with my other two from last year and I can't find the receipts.

Yes if you see my post here you can see what a pre-order transaction looks like on your purchase history page. The only thing though is the $5 deposit might require the physical pre-order receipt. Not sure on that

can you preorder any game?

I have a rewards things that expires today but I don't really want anything but Majora mask

I believe you can only use reward certificates towards pre-orders online and not in store but I'm not sure.

seat

Tangentially related to GCU, but directly related to "saving $$$ for the console gamer", you can make a few bucks by trading in your copy of Dying Light to Target this week. They're currently offering double trade-in credit through 2/14 (should be in your local ad). Whoever works in your Target's mobile department does game trade-ins. Dying Light's value has been holding all week at $30 for the PS4 version and $26.94 for XBO. Incredibly, this means the PS4 version is $60 and XBO is $53.88 credit for trade-in. I was able to trade in my PS4 copy today successfully.

Having gotten to take advantage of this after the GCU 20% discount, the $10 preorder trade-in coupon, the $10 rewards certificate, and the opportunity to play through a very good game from start to finish, let's just say this one of the best grouping of deals I've encountered in a while.

coolasj19

Tangentially related to GCU, but directly related to "saving $$$ for the console gamer", you can make a few bucks by trading in your copy of Dying Light to Target this week. They're currently offering double trade-in credit through 2/14 (should be in your local ad). Whoever works in your Target's mobile department does game trade-ins. Dying Light's value has been holding all week at $30 for the PS4 version and $26.94 for XBO. Incredibly, this means the PS4 version is $60 and XBO is $53.88 credit for trade-in. I was able to trade in my PS4 copy today successfully.

Having gotten to take advantage of this after the GCU 20% discount, the $10 preorder trade-in coupon, the $10 rewards certificate, and the opportunity to play through a very good game from start to finish, let's just say this one of the best grouping of deals I've encountered in a while.
Wish I knew about this earlier. W/e, gonna use my Cards from trading in Dying Light on The Order anyway. It's gonna come out free for me with Dying Lights preorder cert. But I think you made a $17 profit.

Anyway, is there a way to buy digital codes from Best Buy website?

ViciousDS

Banned

What card? All i do is give them my phone number and boop theres the discount

Yes if you see my post here you can see what a pre-order transaction looks like on your purchase history page. The only thing though is the $5 deposit might require the physical pre-order receipt. Not sure on that

I believe you can only use reward certificates towards pre-orders online and not in store but I'm not sure.

Correct and you can use multiple payment options for phone orders either. Because i end up using certs, goft cards and paypal to finish like $2.

Also make sure there is a phone number in the address part when ordering online...once it didnt auto fill from the account and it actually kept erroring out saying to contact customet service.

So if I use my points to preorder a game online, and when it comes out I don't want it any more, do I get my certificates back?

I used like $40 towards The Order because they where expiring, but I don't want that game any more lol.

Top Bottom