• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Calculon said:
So if it's been discussed to death I apologize, going through giant piles of spoilers is kind of hit and miss.

Is Syrio (series spoilers)
Jaqen or one of the other faceless men? I've read the series and never got even a hint of that in the first book, but in the show he says there is only one God, and that God is death.
Maybe I'm just reading too much into that one line, but it seemed really contrived to have someone say that to Arya of all people.

No, he is who he says he is. Also, that one god bit wasnt in the books.

Calculon said:
So if it's been discussed to death I apologize, going through giant piles of spoilers is kind of hit and miss.

Is Syrio (series spoilers)
Jaqen or one of the other faceless men? I've read the series and never got even a hint of that in the first book, but in the show he says there is only one God, and that God is death.
Maybe I'm just reading too much into that one line, but it seemed really contrived to have someone say that to Arya of all people.

Series Spoilers

It's just a fan theory. I don't think it's true, but who knows. I doubt they'd throw Syrio in the dungeon after he fucked up all those guys with a stick. But who knows?

As for the line about the One God, I think that's just a popular religion in Braavos where Syrio and the Faceless Men are from. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it. So I don't think it means anything, but again I could be wrong.

Calculon

Neo Member
Gonaria said:
No, he is who he says he is. Also, that one god bit wasnt in the books.

That's what I figured given that (series spoilers)
Syrio has a whole fleshed out background in a role that sounds pretty prestigious. It just seemed bizarre that they would give him a line that he didn't have in the books that ties so strongly into Arya's future.

I kind of wonder how new viewers will respond to the plot twists coming on, and in S2 and beyond. Looking at the non-spoiler threads as well as Larry Williams' videos, there's lots of expectations for badass stuff that ultimately doesn't happen. The truth in some ways is far less exciting than their predictions

Book 1-2 spoilers:
The Dothraki point dies with Drogo in many ways, leaving us with one of the most uneventful moments of the series: Dany's early ACOK chapters. I liked most of them, but I'm not sure how they'll translate on screen. Theon could also be quite a bore. The writers have tried their best to increase his presence but I'm just not sure there's enough character there to do it. To make matters worse, Alfie Allen seems miscast to me. He hasn't done much of anything to suggest he can carry an arc imo

And yet S2 will also introduce some interesting aspects that should entertain viewers. Tyrion in court is going to be a treat to behold. Given the show's expansion of various non-POV characters there is no doubt in my mind Robb will become a major character in S2 and beyond, which will provide some great action. And if done right, Arya's journey could be one of the most uniquely amazing things to ever grace television. Williams is definitely up to the task; she's quite an impressive actress.

TheExodu5

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
That guy in the other thread that
has a Robb avatar and is tightly focused on anything cool Robb does is going to have his world shattered at some point.
:)

That better not mean what I think it means. Fucking unmarked spoilers in response to a book 1 spoiler. Fuck you if true.

I'm not even returning to this thread for anyone to confirm what I just read. I'm going to hope it was just referring to
Robb not having any chapters in book 2

I was stupid to venture in here in the first place (only in book 3 right now).

Piecake

Calculon said:
That's what I figured given that
Syrio has a whole fleshed out background in a role that sounds pretty prestigious. It just seemed bizarre that they would give him a line that he didn't have in the books that ties so strongly into Arya's future.

They are probably just going to simplify things and make that the dominant religion of Braavos. Plus, its a good way to introduce it and also highlight the differences in culture between Braavos and Westeros

PhoenixDark said:
I kind of wonder how new viewers will respond to the plot twists coming on, and in S2 and beyond. Looking at the non-spoiler threads as well as Larry Williams' videos, there's lots of expectations for badass stuff that ultimately doesn't happen. The truth in some ways is far less exciting than their predictions

Book 1-2 spoilers:
The Dothraki point dies with Drogo in many ways, leaving us with one of the most uneventful moments of the series: Dany's early ACOK chapters. I liked most of them, but I'm not sure how they'll translate on screen. Theon could also be quite a bore. The writers have tried their best to increase his presence but I'm just not sure there's enough character there to do it. To make matters worse, Alfie Allen seems miscast to me. He hasn't done much of anything to suggest he can carry an arc imo

And yet S2 will also introduce some interesting aspects that should entertain viewers. Tyrion in court is going to be a treat to behold. Given the show's expansion of various non-POV characters there is no doubt in my mind Robb will become a major character in S2 and beyond, which will provide some great action. And if done right, Arya's journey could be one of the most uniquely amazing things to ever grace television. Williams is definitely up to the task; she's quite an impressive actress.

BOOK 2 Spoilers

Given how good I job she's done so far, I'm thinking that Arya's storyline will remain mostly intact. She can obviously carry the weight. I hope viewers can as well.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not even returning to this thread for anyone to confirm what I just read. I'm going to hope it was just referring to
Robb not having any chapters in book 2

Just in case you do return, yes I was only referring to what you thought I was referring to. That and [another book 2 spoiler]
He doesn't become the stereotypical hero like in most fantasy.

:) :) :) <3 <3 <3

TheExodu5

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
Just in case you do return, yes I was only referring to what you thought I was referring to. That and [another book 2 spoiler]
He doesn't become the stereotypical hero like in most fantasy.

:) :) :) <3 <3 <3

Curiosity got the better of me, and I came back.

Okay.

Crisis averted.

I'm sorry...this shit plays with my emotions.

TheExodu5 said:
this shit plays with my emotions.

Sorry, I never want to do that. I already PM'ed you to clarify before I saw that you came back.

I don't want to fuck with people about something like this that they're emotionally invested in, because I was too when I read it.

Cornballer said:
As far as I know, he's read all of the books.

Oh ok. He doesn't act like it I guess.

TheExodu5

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
Sorry, I never want to do that. I already PM'ed you to clarify before I saw that you came back.

No worries...just goes to show that I have a bit of an emotional attachment to these characters. :)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
As much fun as I'm having with the series, I kinda wish I hadn't read the books just so I could have all these massive twists and daggers coming at me and I'd be totally blind to them. That'd be awesome.

Piecake

whytemyke said:
As much fun as I'm having with the series, I kinda wish I hadn't read the books just so I could have all these massive twists and daggers coming at me and I'd be totally blind to them. That'd be awesome.

its not the first time that I wished I had the memory of a goldfish

IAmtheFMan said:
...events likely in Ep:8:
She sees the Tower of the Hand, with the doors bashed in and one of her father's guards dead at the door.
One of my biggest disappointments in the series is the lack of scope in Kings Landing. All we know show-wise is the throne room, the small council room somewhere behind it, and a lot of other random places. Has the Tower of the Hand even been mentioned in the show yet? It's gotten better, but I still don't think the show has done a good job of establishing a sense of space in any of its major locations. It still feels like a series of unconnected sets to me.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
series spoiler
Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Ros will replace Alayaya.
Ooh, that'd make sense.

LaserBuddha said:
Does anyone else whose finished book 1 feel
anixety when watching the King's Landing parts of episode 7
?

Book 1 spoilers.
I felt it too. Watching some of those scenes was pretty uncomfortable knowing how things turn out.

methodman

Banned
finally got to watch ep 6, just fucking awesome. i'm holding out on episode 7 till next week to watch it in HD... this wait has been hard as hell already, lol

ps. any ratings numbers or do those usually come out on tuesdays?

Subitai

IAmtheFMan said:
Yeah it was good to see Robb get some action. (S1 spoilers)
But he has PLENTY of chances in the upcoming 3 episodes to completely show his bad-assery.
Yes, this hopefully will be true.
LaserBuddha said:
That guy in the other thread that
has a Robb avatar and is tightly focused on anything cool Robb does is going to have his world shattered at some point.
:)
O HAI! =D

book 3 and series speculation spoiler
It's been shattered. People who know are still sporting Ned, so I thought I'd sport Robb. I haven't decided who'll replace the Young Wolf and probably won't for a while, but I guess I'll probably be a lame poser and go with Jon out of anger. Who am I kidding I'll just go with Sansa since no one else will. Also, it is clear GRRM has 3 more books to continue shattering our worlds. I fear that one of Jon and Dany won't reach the end of the story among the living.

Mumei

The Albatross said:
As others have said, in the show Viserys just seems more looney, like just really detached from reality. At times, I've pitied him because he's... well... pitiful. He has no idea what he's gotten himself into and has no idea how people perceive him. The book arguably makes him the same, he's still a nasty little bugger, but perhaps it's just more difficult for me to imagine in print, I never pitied Viserys... I always wanted him to die. In the show, he was just a pitiful judge of reality and it was very obvious to see that.

I think that the show has done him expertly, btw.

I think it's just that seeing him portrayed by an actor as opposed to reading about him is a different experience; I don't feel like the character was actually changed in any meaningful way (in the way that, say, Renly was changed).

Puddles

Banned
Finally caught up on the show. Things are pretty much how I expected them to be. Disappointed that the Dothraki seem to be a couple dozen people and a few tents, but I guess paying a thousand long-haired, muscle-strapped extras would have gotten a bit costly.

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of flashbacks. Robert's rebellion, Lyanna Stark and the Targaryens are alluded to occasionally, but we don't get a whole lot of that, and since episode 1 I don't think that they've had the emotional resonance I was looking for.

The other thing that is a bit disappointing is the relative lack of direwolves. Hopefully we'll see Grey Wind more in the upcoming episodes.

The endings of the last few episodes have been spot on. The crown was exactly how I pictured it, although the feast was much too small.

bengraven

Every time I see someone get upset with another poster about spoilers, I'm reminded that there's an ACTIVE non-spoiler thread. As in, no one is allowed to spoil the series there, even behind spoiler tags.

bengraven

I sometimes wonder what it would have taken for Viserys to be respected by the Dothraki. Sometimes I think they never intended to give him what he wanted, that he was basically being "raided". Others I think had a stronger man been in his place, someone who would share their food and hunts with them, maybe a man like Rhaegar, they would have become like brothers with him and taken his side.

Sotha Sil

bengraven said:
I sometimes wonder what it would have taken for Viserys to be respected by the Dothraki. Sometimes I think they never intended to give him what he wanted, that he was basically being "raided". Others I think had a stronger man been in his place, someone who would share their food and hunts with them, maybe a man like Rhaegar, they would have become like brothers with him and taken his side.

Rhaegar would have united the khalasars in two weeks. And he would have written an epic song about it.

JGS

Banned
bengraven said:
This kind of depends on whether the Dothraki even understood the terms. Since he didn't understand them, he may have been deceived about what they would deliver.

Ep. 7 stuff:

This is also contngent on what Dani's advisor wants since he seems to be working for King Robert but having second thoughts given his soft spot for Dani. Speaking of which, I can no longer tell whether she is manipulating the Dothraki. She is missing that naivete she showed in the first few episodes and her goal was to have her husband love her, not the other way around. She may just want the crown now since her brother was less than worthy.

From the conversation in ep.7, it seems like they never even were aware of crossing the Narrow Sea or grasped what a boat was much less getting on one to conquer
Puddles said:
Finally caught up on the show. Things are pretty much how I expected them to be. Disappointed that the Dothraki seem to be a couple dozen people and a few tents, but I guess paying a thousand long-haired, muscle-strapped extras would have gotten a bit costly.

The endings of the last few episodes have been spot on. The crown was exactly how I pictured it, although the feast was much too small.
This is the way it is for the whole show. Each location is supposed to be monstrous, but the crowds are smaller. The King's Landing jousts should have been monstrous colliseum size things in my minds eye, but it seemed small. I complained about the Wall already seeming small in population.

It doesn't bother me too much now given that they are spending money on the right things. Hopefully next year they'll spend more money on crowd programs and less on animal carcasses/body parts

KingGondo

Banned
I think it's clear that Viserys' rejection of the Dothraki way of life, as well as his arrogance and cruelty plays a role in his downfall.

If he had taken up their style of dress, worn their clothing, and followed their rituals things probably would have turned out differently. Daenerys is smart enough to realize that's what it takes.

Her transformation is also much more plausible since the Dothraki are the first real family she's ever had, other than a scheming, cruel and possibly insane brother. No wonder it's so easy for her to change her way of life.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Calculon said:

Even if it's not that way in the books, it's easy enough to see they could
just combine Syrio/Jorquen on the show into one character. Save them some exposition, and the audience has been reacting really strongly to the Syrio actor. I could see them just giving him the ability to change face, and keeping him around. Wouldn't cause any harm in my eyes

bengraven

King: Right, had they seen this tall, noble man with a body ripping with muscles from years of weilding a sword and riding a horse, they would have given him the respect he deserved.

Also, in response to the poster earlier, by this time in the book Dany genuinely loves Drogo and his people and the other way around. She's not manipulating anyone. If anything, she's growing stronger and colder as she becomes more Dothraki.

JGS said:
This kind of depends on whether the Dothraki even understood the terms. Since he didn't understand them, he may have been deceived about what they would deliver.

Ep. 7 stuff:

This is also contngent on what Dani's advisor wants since he seems to be working for King Robert but having second thoughts given his soft spot for Dani. Speaking of which, I can no longer tell whether she is manipulating the Dothraki. She is missing that naivete she showed in the first few episodes and her goal was to have her husband love her, not the other way around. She may just want the crown now since her brother was less than worthy.

From the conversation in ep.7, it seems like they never even were aware of crossing the Narrow Sea or grasped what a boat was much less getting on one to conquer

This is the way it is for the whole show. Each location is supposed to be monstrous, but the crowds are smaller. The King's Landing jousts should have been monstrous colliseum size things in my minds eye, but it seemed small. I complained about the Wall already seeming small in population.

It doesn't bother me too much now given that they are spending money on the right things. Hopefully next year they'll spend more money on crowd programs and less on animal carcasses/body parts
I dunno why everyone imagine huge colloseums? I don't think George ever described it as such. I personally never imagined anything of the sort. In fact how it was described that the noble people were close to the action meant there couldn't have been the many people

I expected more than there were, but nothing on a massive scale

Sotha Sil

Chuck Norris said:
I dunno why everyone imagine huge colloseums? I don't think George ever described it as such. I personally never imagined anything of the sort. In fact how it was described that the noble people were close to the action meant there couldn't have been the many people

I expected more than there were, but nothing on a massive scale

I remember GRRM saying (in an interview) that it was all bigger in his mind, but that he's satisfied by the result.

bengraven

The jousting grounds were bigger in the books, but hardly some massive colliseum. They were still fairly temporary.

I always pictured them as the ones from A Knight's Tale only with more traditional stands and not ornate covered stands.

AKnightsTale2.jpg

The one on the show was way too small, like someone put it together in the king's private garden for just his family and friends.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
as someone who has read the books, unsure which side of the fence I actually prefer being on.

Love the series, but can't help being jealous of the people that don't know what's about to happen. Still enjoyable as hell though, having a great time watching.

That moon door is badass, want one in my house.

During the fight with Ser Vardis, just before Bronn kills him he sorta stops and look around at the crowd for a while.

I can't tell whether he is taunting the crowd before he kills Ser Vardis or whether he is waiting to see if he can be declared winner and Tyrion declared innocent without having to kill him. He certainly leaves enough room for Lysa to put an end to the duel

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Sir Hamish said:
During the fight with Ser Vardis, just before Bronn kills him he sorta stops and look around at the crowd for a while.

I can't tell whether he is taunting the crowd before he kills Ser Vardis or whether he is waiting to see if he can be declared winner and Tyrion declared innocent without having to kill him. He certainly leaves enough room for Lysa to put an end to the duel

I'd say taunting. Not sure if I liked that part, my impression of Bronn was that he's not interested in showing off, but goes for the quick kill not leaving anything to chance.
Book 3 spoiler
Unlike the fucking Red Viper, god damnit why didn't you just kill him!!?? :(

I watched episode six last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as ep 5, but I liked it for the most part. The fight between Bronn and Egan was pretty lackluster, and I wasn't a fan of how Clarke reacted to the "crowning," but other than that I have no major complaints. I would like to see the direwolves get more screen time, but that's more of a nit-pick.

As for the positives Dinklage's confession was one of the best scenes yet, I absolutely loved it. The phrase "I made the bald man cry," is going to become a favorite saying of mine. I also like the way Theon is being built up. The kids playing Bran and Arya continue to impress as well, and the forest ambush scene was spot on. Oh yeah, the scene with Ned listing to the grievances of the villagers from the river lands was fantastic too, but I've come to expect great work when Bean is on the screen.

Big-E

Keen said:
I'd say taunting. Not sure if I liked that part, my impression of Bronn was that he's not interested in showing off, but goes for the quick kill not leaving anything to chance.
Book 3 spoiler
Unlike the fucking Red Viper, god damnit why didn't you just kill him!!?? :(

Ya that part of the book was one of my favorites the tension was just amazing. Book 3 spoiler
During the fight I was thinking just like Tyrion was, YES YES do it kill that son of a bitch. In my mind I knew something was wrong but then the Viper gets him and I start to get relieved, is this really going to happen? Then the Viper fucks up and I am absolutely crushed just like Tyrion is. That fight is one of the most memorable for me in the series because of the tension and the belief that finally something good is going to happen and then it turns to shit like everything else.

TheExodu5

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
I watched episode six last night. I didn't enjoy it as much as ep 5, but I liked it for the most part. The fight between Bronn and Egan was pretty lackluster, and I wasn't a fan of how Clarke reacted to the "crowning," but other than that I have no major complaints. I would like to see the direwolves get more screen time, but that's more of a nit-pick.

I thought the Bronn fight was the best action sequence so far in the show.

Big-E said:
Ya that part of the book was one of my favorites the tension was just amazing. Book 3 spoiler
During the fight I was thinking just like Tyrion was, YES YES do it kill that son of a bitch. In my mind I knew something was wrong but then the Viper gets him and I start to get relieved, is this really going to happen? Then the Viper fucks up and I am absolutely crushed just like Tyrion is. That fight is one of the most memorable for me in the series because of the tension and the belief that finally something good is going to happen and then it turns to shit like everything else.

I felt exactly the same way. In fact I think I was just as emotionally crushed by this part of the book as I was with the Red Wedding. The tension and strong feeling at the end that sweet, sweet justice was about to be served made the final result emotionally devastating.

Sotha Sil

LegendofJoe said:
I felt exactly the same way. In fact I think I was just as emotionally crushed by this part of the book as the red wedding. The tension and strong feeling at the end that sweet, sweet justice was about to be served made the final result devastating.

Whole series
Wait till the Hound burns zombie-Greggor at the stake. Now that will feel like sweet, sweet justice.

Big-E

LegendofJoe said:
I felt exactly the same way. In fact I think I was just as emotionally crushed by this part of the book as the red wedding. The tension and strong feeling at the end that sweet, sweet justice was about to be served made the final result devastating.

Ya I still get mad thinking about it and I would agree that it is as powerful as BOOK 3 SPOILER
the Red Wedding

Sotha Sil said:
Whole series
Wait till the Hound burns zombie-Greggor at the stake. Now that will feel like sweet, sweet justice.

With our luck
an ember will get on the Hounds cloak causing him to freak out and then zombie mountain gives the death blow

Now that my move is complete and I have internet/cable again i've had the chance to catch up. Wow. Episode 5 was good not great, 6 was probably the best episode of the season, and 7 was every bit as good as 6 for me. Soooooooooooooo good. The last 3 episodes should be absolutely MENTAL.

I have finally trained myself to enjoy the show on its own without the constant comparing to the books. It took some time but man does it make the show much more enjoyable.

TheExodu5 said:
I thought the Bronn fight was the best action sequence so far in the show.

I mostly took issue with how spatially constricted the fight was due to the location. I know the fight took place in the throne room in the book, but I felt like the small set size limited the physicality of the duel.

Calculon said:

Yeah, it's a common saying in Braavos though. Additionally, if you've read A Dance with Dragons excerpt from GRRM's site...

(slight spoiler of first ADWD Chapter)

Illyrio uses the line ".. Just So.." several times with the character who he's talking to. I won't reveal who it is he's talking but, but slips in "Just So," several times into the conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom