• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
2qcgvtv.jpg

2mo8tfn.jpg

Game of Thrones is an upcoming television series on HBO based on the best selling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The series premieres Sunday, April 17th at 9pm on HBO. The 10 episode Season 1 will cover the events of "A Game of Thrones", the first book in the ASoIaF series. HBO is planning to shoot a season for each book in the series. At the moment, GRRM is working on the fifth book in a projected seven book series. The budget for the series was estimated at somewhere around $60 million.

HBO's Press Release on Game of Thrones:
HBO said:
In a land where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, trouble is brewing. From the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond, two powerful families are engaged in a deadly cat-and-mouse game for control of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

As betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdoms, their bloody struggle for the Iron Throne will have unforeseen and far-reaching consequences.
Summary off of the book from back when it was published:
A Game of Thrones Back Cover Blurb said:
Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

20l02s8.jpg

11logw0.jpg

Cast: The cast of Season 1 will have at least one hundred named characters. These are the eighteen actors and actresses labeled recurring cast members by HBO listed in alphabetical order. There are a lot of other important characters, but I didn't think it was worth it to include the other 80+ here. If you'd like to dig into who's playing what roles, check out WiC.net's full cast list & photos. Also, HBO have a cast page with pictures and bios of the main players.

2lo4weg.jpg

2ds4uja.jpg

28t86zo.jpg

2j5ipw.jpg

avst4m.jpg

Crew: HBO has assembled a considerable amount of talent to put together Game of Thrones. David Benioff (The 25th Hour) and D.B. Weiss (Lucky Wander Boy) head up the writing staff. Other episode writers include Jane Espenson, Bryan Cogman, and George RR Martin. Brian Kirk (Boardwalk Empire) is serving as the series director along with a number of other experienced directors like Timothy Van Patten (The Wire, Rome), Daniel Minahan, and Alan Taylor. Check out WiC's crew page for details on other crew members.

2lcy6oh.jpg

eaocvo.jpg

HBO have released an astonishing number of videos relating to the series. This includes trailers, sneak peek scenes, and introductions to the characters. There are a few spoilers within these videos, so watch at your own risk. WiC.net also has a video gallery.

15-minute Sneak Peek at the series
34h78uo.jpg
- HBO put up a 720p copy of the first 15-minutes of the show on youtube

30-minute Making Game of Thrones feature from HBO
34h78uo.jpg
- 720p copy on youtube

Promos and Trailers:
34h78uo.jpg
- "Power"
34h78uo.jpg
- "Fear and Blood"
34h78uo.jpg
- "The Game Begins"
34h78uo.jpg
- "Iron Throne"
34h78uo.jpg
- "Iron Throne" (extended)

Scenes from the upcoming series from Maester's Path rewards:
34h78uo.jpg
- Jon, Arya
34h78uo.jpg
- Catelyn, Rodrik, Tyrion
34h78uo.jpg
- Maester Aemon, Tyrion, Mormont
34h78uo.jpg
- Dany, Jorah
34h78uo.jpg
- Robert, Ned

15s21rp.jpg
2ey9kdc.jpg
qnr668.jpg
j8zhpg.jpg
15pqqrl.jpg
29qfllv.jpg

The Houses:
2dl42uv.jpg
- House of Stark Feature
34h78uo.jpg
- Jon Snow
34h78uo.jpg
- Sansa Stark
34h78uo.jpg
- Bran Stark
34h78uo.jpg
- Catelyn Stark
34h78uo.jpg
- Arya Stark
34h78uo.jpg
- Ned Stark
34h78uo.jpg
- Robb Stark
2dl42uv.jpg
- House of Lannister Feature
34h78uo.jpg
- Extended Houses Lannister and Baratheon feature (9 min)
34h78uo.jpg
- Robert Baratheon
34h78uo.jpg
- Cersei Lannister
34h78uo.jpg
- Tyrion Lannister
34h78uo.jpg
- Jaime Lannister
2dl42uv.jpg
- House of Baratheon Feature
2dl42uv.jpg
- House of Targaryen Feature
34h78uo.jpg
- Viserys Targaryen
34h78uo.jpg
- Daenerys Targaryen
34h78uo.jpg
- Khal Drogo
2dl42uv.jpg
- Other Characters
34h78uo.jpg
- Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish

2hhq2l4.jpg
2regsvn.jpg
2qmg6c0.jpg
2cs99o8.jpg
swdcu1.jpg
i26gr9.jpg

Additional Behind the Scenes Videos:
2dl42uv.jpg
- Craft: Weapons
2dl42uv.jpg
- Invitation To Westeros
2dl42uv.jpg
- Game of Thrones: On Location (Invitation to Westeros extended)
2dl42uv.jpg
- Inside Game Of Thrones
2dl42uv.jpg
- Game Of Thrones: In Production

The Artisans: (The crew and cast discuss their role in the series)
2dl42uv.jpg
- Costumes feature *longer version*
2dl42uv.jpg
- The Props: Gordon Fitzgerald
2dl42uv.jpg
- Game of Thrones Craft: Set, Costumes, Hair, and Makeup
2dl42uv.jpg
- Supervising art director Paul Inglis
2dl42uv.jpg
- Maisie Williams (Arya)
2dl42uv.jpg
- Fight coordinator Buster Reeves
2dl42uv.jpg
- Costume Armor Supervisor Simon Brindle
2dl42uv.jpg
- GOT's weapons master Tommy Dunne
2dl42uv.jpg
- Set decorator Richard Roberts
2dl42uv.jpg
- Costume designer Michele Clapton
2dl42uv.jpg
- Production designer Gemma Jackson #2
2dl42uv.jpg
- Production designer Gemma Jackson #2

w1dyjc.jpg

2dt3z9y.jpg

2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, April 17th @ 9PM ET - Series Premiere/Episode 1: Winter Is Coming (65min timeslot, two reruns immediately after)
2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, April 24th @ 9PM ET - Episode 2: The Kingsroad
2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, May 1st @ 9PM ET - Episode 3: Lord Snow
2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, May 8th @ 9PM ET - Episode 4: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things
2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, May 15th @ 9PM ET - Episode 5: The Wolf and the Lion
HBO summary with spoilers said:
Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothraki, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, John Arryn’s widow Lysa. Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell, aka the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father.
2dl42uv.jpg
- Sunday, May 22nd @ 9PM ET - Episode 6: A Golden Crown
HBO summary with spoilers said:
Reinstated as the Hand, Ned sits for the King while Robert is on a hunt, and issues a decree that could have long-term consequences throughout the Seven Kingdoms. At the Eyrie, Tyrion confesses to his “crimes,” and demands that Lysa give him a trial by combat. Joffrey apologizes to Sansa; Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo.
2dl42uv.jpg
5/29 - Episode 107: You Win or You Die
2dl42uv.jpg
6/5 - Episode 108: The Pointy End
2dl42uv.jpg
6/12 - Episode 109: Baelor
2dl42uv.jpg
6/19 - Episode 110: Fire and Blood

2nbyl21.jpg

px260.jpg

2dl42uv.jpg
- Winter-is-Coming.net (aka WiC, the most up-to-date source for news about the series.)
34h78uo.jpg
- WiC's Cast page
34h78uo.jpg
- WiC's Crew page
34h78uo.jpg
- WiC's FAQ page
2dl42uv.jpg
- Tower of the Hand (Chapter summaries, news, forums, and other information)
34h78uo.jpg
- Tower of the Hand Locations Gallery
2dl42uv.jpg
- Westeros.org (Fan site with forums, discussion, and lots of other information
2dl42uv.jpg
- HBO's official site for Game of Thrones
2dl42uv.jpg
- Making Game of Thrones (HBO's official production blog)
2dl42uv.jpg
- HBO's Twitter account for GoT
2dl42uv.jpg
- Wikipedia entry for A Song of Ice and Fire *spoilers*
2dl42uv.jpg
- Official pronunciation guide
2dl42uv.jpg
- LA Times "Cheat Sheet" introduction to the show
2dl42uv.jpg
- Maps of the kingdom

2j62pw6.jpg

29qcbr5.jpg

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. I know it's a hassle to use tags, but some of the spoilers involved with this series are HUGE and there are other places on GAF to discuss ASoIaF on GAF. I've included some links (see below) to other GAF threads for the series as a whole and A Dance with Dragons.

Remember that this show needs to put up some big viewership numbers to stay on the air, and most of the potential audience hasn't read the books before. Let's be respectful towards them, and when in doubt, put it in spoiler tags. If you want to make it even easier for other posters, think about adding labels to what you're spoiler tagging: (e.g. Storm of Swords Spoiler:
Put your SoS spoilers here.
)

Thanks for your help with this - I know that all of the new fans will greatly appreciate your effort.

For the new fans that aren't familiar with the series, your best bets for avoiding spoilers are to 1) read the books beforehand, 2) don't highlight any spoilers in this thread, and 3) avoid the spoiler-heavy ASoIaF threads on GAF that are listed below.

rkorp2.jpg

2m3sbb9.jpg

2dl42uv.jpg
- HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!! (The original HBO thread charting the progress of the series from when it was announced in January 2007.)
2dl42uv.jpg
- "Dance with Dragons" publication date revealed!!! [aSoIaF unmarked spoilers] (Discussion of the upcoming 5th book in the series. Lots of spoilers!)
2dl42uv.jpg
- Game of Thrones Reread thread (GAF rereads A Game of Thrones together.)
2dl42uv.jpg
- OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud. (A general thread for discussing the series. Some spoilers are marked, some aren't.)
2dl42uv.jpg
- HBO Game of Thrones series NO BOOK SPOILERS version of the thread

2w2igdu.jpg

Promo Images:
Here are a few promo images of the recurring cast. Click 'em for the bigger version. Head over to WiC's full gallery for a whole lot more.

2dl42uv.jpg
- Link to WiC image gallery

Landscape photos:

2qbgo3q.jpg

Posters: (click to embiggen)

Maps:
Here are a few different maps of Westeros. They all have a slightly different flavor (topographic, political, general.)

This one from Westeros.org is very detailed and useful, too.

2lbyqac.jpg

- Tim Goodman @ The Hollywood Reporter
It’s difficult to single out the most accomplished parts of Thrones. The ambition is immense, the fantasy world exceptionally well-conceived, the writing and acting elevating the entire series beyond contemporaries like The Borgias and Camelot, and the visual appeal continues to surprise with each episode. What we have here is the successful pairing of an acclaimed collection of fantasy books with a television series that illuminates and expands what’s on the page. Worth the wait? Absolutely. And even if you have no idea what all the fuss is about, you should get in from the start to absorb Martin’s fantastical tale.
- Televisionary: Where Wolves Prey: An Advance Review of HBO's Unforgettable Game of Thrones *spoilers*
I'm anxious to watch them again and again, to fall once more under their spell, to get caught up in the deft plotting and lose myself in the staggering and beautifully realized world that the production team has brought to life. This is the type of series that comes around but once in a lifetime, a groundbreaking and absorbing drama that is utterly unlike anything else on television today. Miss this impressive and stirring drama at your own peril.
- Variety's Brian Lowry:
Variety said:
Although "Mad Men's" Don Draper partially scratched the itch, premium TV has been actively seeking its next Tony Soprano. While Showtime's medieval "The Borgias" directly promoted that analogy, HBO comes much closer with "Game of Thrones," which reaches even farther afield -- to Westeros, a mythical land of seven kingdoms where dragons once lived -- to deliver a mob boss (OK, king) beset by plotting, intrigue and fractious families on all sides. Massive in scope and cinematic in detail, this dense piece of storytelling should resonate beyond just fans of George R.R. Martin's novels, providing HBO its own formidable seat of power.
- Memles @ Cultural Learnings: A Televisual Love Letter: Reveling in HBO’s Game of Thrones *spoilers*
memles said:
I had a hell of a great time watching the first six episodes of Game of Thrones. There were cheers, there were jeers, and there was a sense of anticipation which almost made me forget that I knew what I was anticipating. It is not a perfect show, but the convergence of great television and great source material made for a truly spectacular viewing experience that I think everyone should consider engaging with in two weeks.
- Den of Geek Review
The opening episode provides a confident, gripping entry point to what could have been a bewilderingly expansive saga. Game Of Thrones' canvas is enormous and continent spanning, but the superb cast keep the human element of the story front and centre. If Game Of Thrones can continue along at a pace as brisk and exciting as this, then the series has a bright future ahead of it.
- Winter-is-Coming: First impressions of Game of Thrones *spoilers*
My first thought, as I tweeted, was they actually did it. They made A Song of Ice and Fire into a TV series. I was literally smiling throughout much of the episode, because it was so amazing to see the books come to life on screen. I’ve waited two and half years for this moment, hoping the show would be as good as I know it could be. And it is!
- Westeros.org: Our First Impressions *spoilers*
It is really well done fantasy, unlike anything ever produced for television. It is a quality drama, a rewarding one, and we think those who stick through the dizzying number of characters, plotlines, and locations in the first two episodes will be appropriately hooked. If you want the full depth and complexity of the world, all the nuances and subtleties, there’s always the books to turn to.
- Metacritic page for the show

hvnvxy.jpg

1) Game of Thrones is an upcoming television show based on George RR Martin's epic, high fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire.
2) It premieres on Sunday, April 17th at 9pm on HBO.
3) Watch this trailer.

2dl42uv.jpg
- WiC.net for their help
2dl42uv.jpg
- Westeros.org for the heraldry

Please let me know if there are any errors or bad links in the OP, and I'll be happy to correct them.

34h78uo.jpg
34h78uo.jpg
15nxf2p.jpg

woodchuck

awesome thread!

can't wait for this. I haven't read any of the books but really looking forward to the series. Plus, it has motherfucking Sean Bean.

Wray

Totally in. I'm so pumped for Game of Thrones and Camelot to start. Spring is going to be a nice few months.

I am definitely ready for this. Most of the information on the show so far has seemed pretty positive, and it looks like we're going to be getting a good adaptation.

scosher

I wanted to re-read GoT before this started, but Patrick Rothfuss' Wise Man's Fear has taken up my spare time :(

Still, can't wait to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion.

On spoilers: Might be a better idea to specifically mark what you're talking about before a spoiler tag....

For example: (spoiler related to those who have read entire series)
dany is blah blah

Incidents happen all the time in show topics with a popular source material where the tone of a conversation is going a certain way and everyone is on the same subject, a spoiler tag is made (which people assume are related to a specific episode or something minor) when its actually something quite stunning for book 4 or 5.

As a rule just be extremely careful as it relates to spoilers.

With that said I just got HBO a couple of days ago and am ready to go. Can't wait!

ymmv

Banned
Subscribed! Great OP too.

Really looking forward to this. I hope the additional deadline of one season for one book means that George RR Martin is pressured into finishing the sixth and seventh book of the serie in time. It would really suck if the series has to be put on hold because GRRM needs at least five or six years for one book.

So I am wondering if this will be streamable from any sites? Does HBO have a streaming site? Or should I just spring for paying for adding HBO to my comcast?

Chairhome

Man, why did I start watching these videos? I'm so hyped now! I'm a little less than halfway through the 2nd book, love the series. Can't wait!

Dark FaZe said:
On spoilers: Might be a better idea to specifically mark what you're talking about before a spoiler tag....

For example: (spoiler related to those who have read entire series)
dany is blah blah
Agreed, it's much easier for people if the spoilers are specifically labeled.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
So I am wondering if this will be streamable from any sites? Does HBO have a streaming site? Or should I just spring for paying for adding HBO to my comcast?
Unfortunately, HBO GO only works if you have an existing HBO subscription. I'd give Comcast a call. Let them know you're subscribing just for Game of Thrones, too. :)

Kud Dukan

Epic OP for a (hopefully) epic series.

Can't wait for the series to start. Everything I've seen looks amazing, and I don't think you could ask for a better way for this series to get a live action adaptation.

yacobod

Banned
nice op. i'm cautiously optimistic for the series. big fan of the books, but some of the acting looks incredibly wooden. hopefully it does enough numbers to go at least through a storm of swords though. would be nice if a positive reaction for the show gives martin some motivation to finish up the series. the wait for ADWD is retarded.

Blair

Banned
Looks incredible, great OP.

I hadn't seen a picture of Sandor Clegane, i imagined him alot differently.

Solo

This thread will be entertaining as hell. Either the show lives up to the books and everyone loves it, or it doesn't and people go nuts. Amusing either way!

tino

Banned
Just look at Katelyn's face and I want to punch her LOL.

I wish the Lannister twins are hotter.

Honestly I have 500% more hype for the new book than the show, don't know why.

Blair said:
Looks incredible, great OP.

I hadn't seen a picture of Sandor Clegane, i imagined him alot differently.

Same the only ones that are close (or close enough) to the ones in my head are Eddard, Jon, Arya, Robb, Sansa, Bran, Jaime and Littlefinger. Jaime looks hotter than Cersei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom