• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
GDJustin said:
This isn't helpful. I'm NOT willing to sign up for HBO.

Do I have any other options, besides waiting for the Blu Ray, or not?

Even if I did know another way I'd never tell you.

Man

Picture21-2.png

Like a boss

bionic77 said:
If they stay faithful to the books then this will make Spartacus look like a PG show.

I'm probably going to be watching this with my mother *cringe*

If she reacts badly to it, I'll just blame my brother for recommending it - he's read the books and I haven't ;D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Brian Fellows said:
Even if I did know another way I'd never tell you.

Dude... what the hell is going on in this topic? All I'm doing is expressing enthusiasm about the show, and asking if the episodes will be sold on iTunes or anywhere else. I tried Googling the answer and wasn't able to find one.

I don't even pay for cable anymore... I don't watch anything on TV really. So I'm certainly not signing up for HBO.

squicken

Already on the first page I'd say there are 5 or 6 posts with spoilers. It's actually one of the reasons I read the books, as I knew GAF would spoil the show if I didn't.

There really needs to be a spoiler thread. As long as I've been here people have struggled to understand how to deal with spoilers.

nelsonroyale said:
To be honest, almost none of the cast look how I imagined them...Dany doesnt look pretty or striking enough, nor the hound large and bruttish enough...Jaime doesnt really fit the part 'cept for having the right hair colour....rob looks especially unlike what the text seems to suggest (to me)

At least its going ahead...although its hilarious that its happening before the series is finished. I used to want a movie series of the Wheel of Time, but no more. Audio tapes work well for that series

Jaime looks exactly perfect...
6bbfwvz

I remember there being some concern over his broken nose when he was first cast, but alongside Arya, Ned, and Tyrion he is certainly one of the "perfect" casting decisions.

The only one I was hesitant about was Catelyn. The initial pictures of the actress were atrocious; she looked rather plain and way too old. But in costume she looks good; not perfect or anything, but seems solid and the early reports say she's great in the part which matters more than looks.

Screeners are out and the critics are weighing in:
Poniewozik said:
Now that #GameofThrones screeners are out, can finally say: 1st 2 eps fantastic (as it were). Hush-hush screening several wks ago.

PushTheButtonMax said:
Also, about spoilers: I think we need to adapt the idea of putting what book your spoiler is coming from before the actual spoiler like someone else mentioned previously. I'm pretty sure something big just got spoiled for me and I didn't even see it coming.
Yes, that is very helpful if people can label their spoilers. However, if you're not caught up with the books, you're best off not highlighting anything at all.

Man

karawarner
Me too! Me too! RT@televisionary @axechucker @TargaryenFanboy What I will say is I was extremely impressed w/ first 2 eps. #GameofThrones

karawarner
Incredibly faithful to Martin's source material. Bloody, scandalous, and moving all at the same time.

luoapp

GDJustin said:
Dude... what the hell is going on in this topic? All I'm doing is expressing enthusiasm about the show, and asking if the episodes will be sold on iTunes or anywhere else. I tried Googling the answer and wasn't able to find one.

I don't even pay for cable anymore... I don't watch anything on TV really. So I'm certainly not signing up for HBO.

No, you won't be able to watch the show unless you sign up. And "the way he didn't tell you" is something illegal, I guess.

Subitai

Oh baby it's gonna be on!

Do your part and make sure all your friends w/ HBO tune in. As great shows like Rome demonstrate, just because it is awesome doesn't mean it always get enough of an audience to keep the series going. Especially since there will be direct competition from Showtime and Starz.

Iskander

Neo Member
I have low expectations (tough source material to translate into a TV show) but I'm excited nonetheless. Hope it's good!

Good to hear the first two episodes are getting great reviews. Pilots getting good reviews is expected, but hearing the second ep is great too gives me lots of confidence. In comparison to say Boardwalk Empire, where the second episode ran into some criticism; I liked that ep, although of course it was hard and almost unfair to compare to the Scorsese directed, glitzy pilot

PhoenixDark said:
Good to hear the first two episodes are getting great reviews. Pilots getting good reviews is expected, but hearing the second ep is great too gives me lots of confidence. In comparison to say Boardwalk Empire, where the second episode ran into some criticism; I liked that ep, although of course it was hard and almost unfair to compare to the Scorsese directed, glitzy pilot

Or The Walking Dead that had an amazing pilot then walked off the cliff as far as tone in concerned IMO.

Man

Is it possible to get Tag flags like we did for the Soccer world cup? I would desire Lannister please.

Woah, premiere is soon. I thought we were a year away still. Sweet.

Hope it's better than The Walking Dead. Not much comparison but being as the most recent book / graphic novel to TV show, I'm comparing. That didn't hold my interest and the casting felt wrong.

ezrarh

PhoenixDark said:

Definitely. Would be interested in seeing the reactions to episodes 4-6 when the pace of the plot starts to pick up rapidly. Then we'll know how good the show will be.

ezrarh said:
Definitely. Would be interested in seeing the reactions to episodes 4-6 when the pace of the plot starts to pick up rapidly. Then we'll know how good the show will be.

Yup. Maybe because I'm such a cynic/half full glass guy, I half expect to hear the screener episodes get average reviews. You expect most shows to go through a middle lull unless it's a great show (Breaking Bad or The Wire for instance). But even some great shows have lulls. I hope I'm wrong.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People (like myself) who've read the books seriously need to keep their god damned mouths shut in this thread.

No tee hee "next weeks is going to be AWESOME, just you wait" or other stupid shit. Shut. Up.

Pollux

squicken said:
Already on the first page I'd say there are 5 or 6 posts with spoilers. It's actually one of the reasons I read the books, as I knew GAF would spoil the show if I didn't.

There really needs to be a spoiler thread. As long as I've been here people have struggled to understand how to deal with spoilers.

It's all in the FAQ you're supposed to read before you become a Member.

Bottom of the page under SPOILER ETIQUETTE

Just finished reading book 1 yesterday, and I can't wait for this series. It looks amazing. Gonna go pick up book 2 on Thursday.

Sinatar said:
People (like myself) who've read the books seriously need to keep their god damned mouths shut in this thread.

No tee hee "next weeks is going to be AWESOME, just you wait" or other stupid shit. Shut. Up.

TOTALLY agree here.

deadbeef

Lafiel said:
So excited, i should get in a re-read of game of thrones before this airs.
I think I'm going to do a read-along with the show as it airs. Each week, I'll read the book after the show up until the point where the episode ended and maybe peek ahead to guess what they're going to do next episode.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Because of all the sunken and frontloaded costs, I'm gonna predict a swift S2 pickup announcement right after the first episode

dave is ok said:
Because of all the sunken and frontloaded costs, I'm gonna predict a swift S2 pickup announcement right after the first episode

Treme and Boardwalk Empire were both renewed in a similar timeframe so there's a good chance this will be a quick renewal.

idwl

I usually like to watch shows after each season ends, so I can watch them all in one go. This being 10 episodes makes it not so bad. Is there any way this could fail ratings wise?

idwl said:
I usually like to watch shows after each season ends, so I can watch them all in one go. This being 10 episodes makes it not so bad. Is there any way this could fail ratings wise?

Yes, yes it could. TV does that.

deadbeef

idwl said:

If everyone waits for the DVDs then HBO could conceivably make the assumption that nobody likes the show, and then cancel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom