• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaserBuddha said:
Heh, I love it when they try to figure out Littlefinger in the other thread. I'm genuinely happy at how rudimentary they're assuming this story to be, not know what's coming.

I love going to the other thread and lurking on comments, because there is really a strong interest in the story line development. I keep thinking to myself: Would I love this show as much having not read the books and loved them? And even though my non-book-reading-friends-and-girlfriend love it, I still wonder about it.

Watching these people go ape on the stories convinced me they really did a great job.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, it's official. I hated Sansa in the books and I hate her just as much in the series as well, so they've definitely captured her well enough. With as violent and straight forward this series has been so far (which is great that they're not censoring anything) I can't wait until what's going to come later.

bengraven

I love Desmond and all, but Davos is an older man. Henry Ian Cusick is way too young to have four adult sons and a 12 year old son.

There are only two people I've ever had in mind for Davos: Sean Bean and Ian McShane.

But SB...well yeah, he got a slightly bigger part, and Ian McShane shouldn't play a noble character.

hebrew hammer said:
Emilia Clarke is a hideous actress. Can't believe how bad she is. Also stop with the soliloquies.

Clarke got SOOOOOO much better these last two episodes.

sooperkool said:
I don't know if using (ep7 spoiler)
Randyll Tarly's introduction as basically Tywins
really fits the character.

I actually missed that part during Sam's backstory. I was glad to see it made it and it was actually acted out.

1stStrike said:
Well, it's official. I hated Sansa in the books and I hate her just as much in the series as well, so they've definitely captured her well enough. With as violent and straight forward this series has been so far (which is great that they're not censoring anything) I can't wait until what's going to come later.

Meh, she's a perfect example of everything noble females are raised to be. Can't really blame her for not rebelling against her upbringing. Keeping this in mind, I'm certainly never cheering for anything Sansa does, but I feel pity for her in place of being annoyed.

Piecake

bengraven said:
I love Desmond and all, but Davos is an older man. Henry Ian Cusick is way too young to have four adult sons and a 12 year old son.

Not really. The dude is 44, and they bang those kids out a lot earlier than we do now. He could have had his first son at 20, the kid would be 24, and that could have been having kids as well for a while.

I actually pictured him around that age, 40ish

Piecake

Shawsie64 said:
No HBO or HBO Go here in Aussie land, hope episode 7 finds its way to me somehow before next week :(

I thought you Aussie's didnt even get Game of Thrones down there, so had to turn to 'other' means to watch it

Gonaria said:
Not really. The dude is 44, and they bang those kids out a lot earlier than we do now. He could have had his first son at 20, the kid would be 24, and that could have been having kids as well for a while.

I actually pictured him around that age, 40ish

None of that's the point. The point is, Davos should be a rough man, beaten down by life to some degree. He is a man that by all appearances is unremarkable. Instead of yet another pretty boy, we need someone like McKidd who can demonstrate Davos sullen but steadfast acceptance of fate and duty.

Shawsie64

Banned
Gonaria said:
I thought you Aussie's didnt even get Game of Thrones down there, so had to turn to 'other' means to watch it

Yeah we dont, we miss out on heaps of great shows.. TV here is complete rubbish. Episode 7 hasn't turned up by 'other means' as far as I can tell yet

Piecake

LaserBuddha said:
None of that's the point. The point is, Davos should be a rough man, beaten down by life to some degree. He is a man that by all appearances is unremarkable. Instead of yet another pretty boy, we need someone like McKidd who can demonstrate Davos sullen but steadfast acceptance of fate and duty.

He's a pretty boy? I think he could definitely pull off the regular, honest good guy, completely concerned with duty, debt, and loyalty. Davos never really gave me the impression of being sullen.

McKidd is actually younger than Desmond, and frankly, I think he looks more like a pretty boy than Desmond

scosher

LaserBuddha said:

I'm guessing you haven't seen Lost.

Kud Dukan

Just finished watching episode 7, and I'm now regretting it...don't know how I'm gonna manage to wait nearly two weeks for the next one.

Ep 7 was solid, although I preferred ep6.

Really, really didn't like the ridiculous sexposition scene with Littlefinger and Ros. Then it cuts to yet another scene of Theon angrily defending his house. I realize the show has to set him up for S2, but thus far they've done a poor job. I fear there's simply just not enough character there, and I'm not sold on Alfie Allen. Luckily Osha saved the scene, as did Maester Luwin's epic smackdown of Theon ha.

Another thing I didn't like was how anti-climatic the news of Robert's injury was. In the book Ned is woken in the middle of the night and carried to Robert's area of the castle where guards and Kingsguard members stand in shock. In the show it's just a bright and sunny day (there has yet to be a night scene in King's Landing). The lack of any type of intense setting took me aback. That being said, it was a well acted scene; Addy will be missed, as he was brilliant in every scene he was in.

Still, the episode was damn good and featured some great scenes. Loved the return to the Wall, especially the scene where jobs are given out.

Ep8 is going to be truly epic. Martin wrote it, and it's called The Pointy End.

scosher said:
I'm guessing you haven't seen Lost.

Look, McKidd is Davos. His performance in Rome was perfect for Davos imo. That other guy looks like one of the laughably-white Dothraki that we've already seen. I'm judging this completely by the picture, btw.

Manics

Banned
Just watched episode 6, solid. Loved Tyrion during the "confession". They did that scene well. Golden crown moment was so so for me. All in all though like how the show is moving.

bengraven

LaserBuddha said:

McKidd is better, but he really needs to be Stannis. I'm assuming if he took the time to say "I'm sorry, I'm busy" in that interview that he's not going to be in the show. Sad but true.

WIC did some good casting suggestions for Davos.

Personally Robert Carlyle or Peter Mullen would be a dream.

bengraven said:
McKidd is better, but he really needs to be Stannis. I'm assuming if he took the time to say "I'm sorry, I'm busy" in that interview that he's not going to be in the show. Sad but true.

WIC did some good casting suggestions for Davos.

Personally Robert Carlyle or Peter Mullen would be a dream.

Nothing will make up for Mathieu Amalric not being Littlefinger. :(

I saw Ian Mcshane suggested for Davos earlier in this page. He'd be a terrible Davos imo, but an awesome Stannis. Also, I don't think Ed Harris is too much of a pipe dream for a role like this. Stannis doesn't have a ton of necessary scenes in the books so far. I'm sure that
they'd still like to have a big name in the cast when Bean is gone

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
CrankyJay said:
No! This is our Davos:

desmondlost.jpg
Fuck that's an awesome casting suggestion. Bravo.

Subitai

Back to episode 6 cause man, this giving out episode 7 has totally overshadowed the one part that made me choose my avatar. Although it was a little different in the books, Robb 1st shows his badassness and it totally gets ignored thanks to the Khal's gift and the Bronn/Tyrion ownage. Oh well.

Along the same lines, I thought Ned, Arya, and Sansa scene did very well bringing out the twincest secret without saying it directly for people who hand not figured it out yet. The cut to Arya's smirk, and then Ned's when Sansa was talking were priceless. In any of the previous episodes there would have been a gif immediately.

The hunting scene was a nice touch to build Renly a little more and to show the weak brotherly bond he has with the King.

_Isaac

Dresden said:
Aging her up for the show isn't making it any easier for the character. Instead of naive she's just really fucking dumb now, like a Westeros version of a valley girl.

I've always loved her because of that.

deadbeef

Subitai said:
Back to episode 6 cause man, this giving out episode 7 has totally overshadowed the one part that made me choose my avatar. Although it was a little different in the books, Robb 1st shows his badassness and it totally gets ignored thanks to the Khal's gift and the Bronn/Tyrion ownage. Oh well.

Along the same lines, I thought Ned, Arya, and Sansa scene did very well bringing out the twincest secret without saying it directly for people who hand not figured it out yet. The cut to Arya's smirk, and then Ned's when Sansa was talking were priceless. In any of the previous episodes there would have been a gif immediately.

The hunting scene was a nice touch to build Renly a little more and to show the weak brotherly bond he has with the King.

Shouldn't they have been hunting on horses though? Seemed like just 4 guys lost in the woods :(

_Isaac

deadbeef said:
Shouldn't they have been hunting on horses though? Seemed like just 4 guys lost in the woods :(

I'm glad they toned it down. It was a bit of a boring scene in the book.

EDIT: Oh nevermind. I thought you were talking about Bran's scene.
Yeah. I was wondering why there were so few people. The guy is a king. You'd think he'd have his posse around him at all times.

Piecake

deadbeef said:

Real men don't need no pansy things like horses, attendants, guards, provisions, and other fansy-smancy things. They just march right out of the castle gate to a forest that is really freakin close by, hunt for a couple of hours, then come right back, all in a days work. A manly king, does not ride a horse out of his castle to go to a forest and hunt. He walks, like a man.
Even more manly men walk themselves right out of that damn forest after being gored by a gigantic bore, with his guts falling out, without no pansy things like a litter or horses. Yea, thats what real men do

marrec

Banned
After watching Episode Six I can only assume Ned's next step is
going to a monastery and, with his newfound knowledge of genetics, growing Peas until the ripe old age of 87.

_Isaac said:
I'm glad they toned it down. It was a bit of a boring scene in the book.

EDIT: Oh nevermind. I thought you were talking about Bran's scene.
Yeah. I was wondering why there were so few people. The guy is a king. You'd think he'd have his posse around him at all times.

I have mostly forgotten that part of the book, but I have the most plausible scenario in my mind: A party of less than a dozen riding on horseback with the king, while off in the periphery and out of sight are guards and such, as well as people/dogs trying to flush out the wildlife/drive it toward the king's party.

So, easily 30-50 people involved total. A far cry from what I saw in Episode 6. Just what the FUCK is Mark Addy going to kill on foot, with a spear?

deadbeef

LaserBuddha said:
I have mostly forgotten that part of the book, but I have the most plausible scenario in my mind: A party of less than a dozen riding on horseback with the king, while off in the periphery and out of sight are guards and such, as well as people/dogs trying to flush out the wildlife/drive it toward the king's party.

So, easily 30-50 people involved total. A far cry from what I saw in Episode 6. Just what the FUCK is Mark Addy going to kill on foot, with a spear?

Book 1
He's gonna kill a six'er of that strong wine, is what he's gonna do

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
PhoenixDark said:
Ep 7 was solid, although I preferred ep6.

Really, really didn't like the ridiculous sexposition scene with Littlefinger and Ros. Then it cuts to yet another scene of Theon angrily defending his house. I realize the show has to set him up for S2, but thus far they've done a poor job. I fear there's simply just not enough character there, and I'm not sold on Alfie Allen. Luckily Osha saved the scene, as did Maester Luwin's epic smackdown of Theon ha.

Another thing I didn't like was how anti-climatic the news of Robert's injury was. In the book Ned is woken in the middle of the night and carried to Robert's area of the castle where guards and Kingsguard members stand in shock. In the show it's just a bright and sunny day (there has yet to be a night scene in King's Landing). The lack of any type of intense setting took me aback. That being said, it was a well acted scene; Addy will be missed, as he was brilliant in every scene he was in.

Still, the episode was damn good and featured some great scenes. Loved the return to the Wall, especially the scene where jobs are given out.

Ep8 is going to be truly epic. Martin wrote it, and it's called The Pointy End.

EP7 Spoiler

I think the episode really redeemed itself at the end though. The verbal standoff between Cersai and Ned was great. Though I also really disliked Littlefingers fingerbanging exposition

This ain't a spoiler, but the reason you shant remember the hunting scene in the book is because it never happens. Robert goes out for a hunt and then comes back some time later. There are no scenes out thar hunting.

Generally, you can tell when something isn't in the book if there are no POV characters in scene. Given that the "hunting" scene in the show is ... Robert, Renly, Barrisan, and ol' whats-his-name-Fucking-Moon-Boy-For-All-I-Care-Lannister then aye, no scene in Le Book.

Piecake

The Albatross said:
This ain't a spoiler, but the reason you shant remember the hunting scene in the book is because it never happens. Robert goes out for a hunt and then comes back some time later. There are no scenes out thar hunting.

Generally, you can tell when something isn't in the book if there are no POV characters in scene. Given that the "hunting" scene in the show is ... Robert, Renly, Barrisan, and ol' whats-his-name-Fucking-Moon-Boy-For-All-I-Care-Lannister then aye, no scene in Le Book.

Where the fuck is moon boy? And what about that fat ass septon? More importantly, where is moon boy so that he can make fun of that fat ass septon? So pious that he eats 7 meals a day in honor of the seven.

The Albatross said:

I knew it didn't happen "live" in the book, but figured there was enough descriptive text about it after the fact.

The show's creators could make it up to us by showing Mark Addy hunt down and kill something while on foot. I would be extremely entertained by that.

Piecake

just finished watching episode 7

Charles Dance is awesome. Perfect Tywin, going to love watching scenes with him in it. Very good episode, but holy balls, stop with all of the damn exposition sex scenes, its getting old. Its almost become a running gag, but not in a good way, like My Cabbages!. And please, no more Theon. I am sick of his same god damn storyline. We get it, he is a freakin ward/prisoner.

Dhrogo finally did something besides being the mute badass warrior, and did it quite well I thought. The final scene was especially well done. the only problem is that I want to watch episode 8 now

Paches

Jason Momoa did absolute justice to his epic get-up speech, gave me chills.

Big time Season 1 spoilers:

It is just too damn bad this will get the unread people's hopes up that Drogo will now come blast the Lannisters a new asshole :(

BlueTsunami

Paches-EJ- said:

I was actually surprised at that scene. Once it started going I totally bought it. Its crazy that all I know him from is Stargate Atlantis.

Paches-EJ- said:

Big time Season 1 spoilers:

It is just too damn bad this will get the unread people's hopes up that Drogo will now come blast the Lannisters a new asshole :(
Big season 1 spoilers:

They did a good job with Drogo in these episodes. I was worried they weren't establishing him enough, but now they've planted the character very well before they take it away

Subitai said:
Yeah it was good to see Robb get some action. (S1 spoilers)
But he has PLENTY of chances in the upcoming 3 episodes to completely show his bad-assery.

My overall thoughts on Ep: 6:
- I thought it was one of the tightest paced episodes thus far.
- Liked how they handled the wildlings, but would've been nice to see Summer and Grey Wind.
- Maisie Williams again shows that she's talented beyond her years.
- Also I think Emilia Clarke pulls off the "powerful leader" schtick a lot better then the innocent thing, so I think we're out of the woods concerning her.
- The actress that's playing Sansa IS doing a good job, since pretty much everyone is hating on her.
- Loved the quick intro of Beric Dondarrion.
- Everything at the Eyrie was great. Dinklage won the episode with his "confession." ("I pushed my sister down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog!")
- And Harry Lloyd: this guy managed to take a one-note narcissist and give him vulnerability that really wasn't showcased in the books at all. He did a FANTASTIC job with his role. Though Viserys won't be missed, Harry Lloyd's performance definitely will.

Last thing. I guess the teleplay was written by Jane Espenson. Is there any geek-cred show that she WON'T write for? Just asking.

Piecake

BlueTsunami said:
I was actually surprised at that scene. Once it started going I totally bought it. Its crazy that all I know him from is Stargate Atlantis.

Yea, I totally bought it as well. Really well done.
Was a bit surprised actually since he really didnt do much, or have a whole lot of energy before that. Dude just oozed energy and charisma in that scene though. He really looked like the leader of men and a feared warrior in that scene

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished ep. 6, pretty fantastic. Damn these ep. 7 spoilers. :(

So a few things...

Really nitpicky and inconsequential, but I wished that Vardis Egen didn't have his armor on when he pledged to fight. That could've reinforced the whole armor v. no armor thing.

Wished they had extras in the background during the hunting scene. Really seemed desolate just having four people around.

Maisie keeps knocking it out of the park. She is doing an incredible job as Arya.

I totally lol'd when
Joffrey does his spiel.

Beric Dondarrion! I guess if they wanted to
get away with recasting him since he's going to look like hell when we see him again.

The whole crowning scene, was a little disappointed right after I saw it. (Possibly because it was the one scene I was most excited to see this season.) But now I can't stop watching it.

With all the attention to Ros, I'm guessing she
replaces Alayaya since Shae was cast.

Also, I'm sad Drizz Lannister didn't make a grand appearance.

AeroGod

Just watched ep. 7. and Jesus H Christ, Tywin Lannister was cast PERFECTLY. Even in just one scene. Tied with Arya as my favorite. And that little speech he gave was new I think? seeing as neither he or Jamie are a POV character in the book. I dont remember that. That was brilliant, could have been in the books. Really starting to like this adaptation in the past 3 eps, I was worried at first.

The speculation in the non-spoiler thread is really interesting. It's funny to see some posts of people that think they "have it all figured out."

fallengorn said:
Just finished ep. 6, pretty fantastic. Damn these ep. 7 spoilers. :(

So a few things...

Really nitpicky and inconsequential, but I wished that Vardis Egen didn't have his armor on when he pledged to fight. That could've reinforced the whole armor v. no armor thing.

Wished they had extras in the background during the hunting scene. Really seemed desolate just having four people around.

Maisie keeps knocking it out of the park. She is doing an incredible job as Arya.

I totally lol'd when
Joffrey does his spiel.

Beric Dondarrion! I guess if they wanted to
get away with recasting him since he's going to look like hell when we see him again.

The whole crowning scene, was a little disappointed right after I saw it. (Possibly because it was the one scene I was most excited to see this season.) But now I can't stop watching it.

With all the attention to Ros, I'm guessing she
replaces Alayaya since Shae was cast.

Also, I'm sad Drizz Lannister didn't make a grand appearance.

Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Ros will replace Alayaya.

Where the fuck was
Drizz?
Huge letdown. Show won't be good again until he appears. When you have an actor as good as the son of Ufuk, Sean Bean doesn't cut it anymore.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Today my roommate said, book one spoiler:
"Oh man I didn't think they'd kill that guy that fast. Oh well at least I know the main guy...ned, he'll survive.

That killed me.

BlueTsunami

SephCast said:
"Oh man I didn't think they'd kill that guy that fast. Oh well at least I know the main guy...ned, he'll survive.

That killed me.

You should tell him to wear a bowtie around the episode where that happens. See if it spins.

BlueTsunami said:
You should tell him to wear a bowtie around the episode where that happens. See if it spins.

That guy in the other thread that
has a Robb avatar and is tightly focused on anything cool Robb does is going to have his world shattered at some point.
:)

Piecake

SephCast said:

That killed me.

major book 1 spoilers
you just know when Varys and Ned have that talk and then Ned is confessing on the baelor steps, everyone of those guys are going to be thinking, well, of course, the author wouldnt dare kill the main guy, he is going to join Jon on the wall and do some shit against those Others! Then, Oh, holy shit! No they didnt!

SephCast said:
I find it amazing how good this series is even if I read the books.

They've taken some creative liberties with a beloved series of books, yet there is almost no butthurt going on at all. That is astonishing when you think about it.

Calculon

Neo Member
So if it's been discussed to death I apologize, going through giant piles of spoilers is kind of hit and miss.

Is Syrio (series spoilers)
Jaqen or one of the other faceless men? I've read the series and never got even a hint of that in the first book, but in the show he says there is only one God, and that God is death.
Maybe I'm just reading too much into that one line, but it seemed really contrived to have someone say that to Arya of all people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom