• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngower

Just finished the first episode. I'm confused on a lot of things as I've not read the books, but I believe everyone is a huge fan of incest or inter-species sex? Am I right? WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

In all seriousness, is there a good primer that would help me understand some of what's going on a little bit better save for actually reading the books?

[EDIT] Wait, Danerys is supposed to be thirteen?

Hey book readers, I was curious how the Lannisters made their money in the first place. Obviously I haven't read the books and don't want to see any spoilers.

f0rk

The Lamonster said:
Hey book readers, I was curious how the Lannisters made their money in the first place. Obviously I haven't read the books and don't want to see any spoilers.

There lands are on top of literal gold mines.

KingGondo

Banned
ngower said:
Just finished the first episode. I'm confused on a lot of things as I've not read the books, but I believe everyone is a huge fan of incest or inter-species sex? Am I right? WHAT IS HAPPENING!?

In all seriousness, is there a good primer that would help me understand some of what's going on a little bit better save for actually reading the books?
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/map/

Lots of other good resources on the HBO website, just sniff around a bit.

Chesskid1

Banned
kind of pervy question about sansa from book 2

sansa had nudity right? i remember joffrey ripping at her clothes, but i don't specifically remember
. thanks.

Chesskid1 said:

sansa had nudity right? i remember joffrey ripping at her clothes, but i don't specifically remember
. thanks.

That happens, but only her undergarments are exposed. I doubt they'll do that in the show though

methodman

Banned
Chesskid1 said:

. thanks.

"kinda pervy"

lol
she's fifteen dammit

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Maybe the person who dies early is
Jeor Morment? Move Jon quickly up to taking over the Night's Watch

Scribble

Man, not even the TV series can make me like Jon. Such a bland character. I groaned whenever the focus shifted to the Wall stuff.

ultron87

John Harker said:
Maybe the person who dies early is
Jeor Morment? Move Jon quickly up to taking over the Night's Watch

(book 3)
That would change Jon's character arc way too much. And somehow turn Jon into an even more Mary Sueish character that he already is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Scribble said:
Man, not even the TV series can make me like Jon. Such a bland character. I groaned whenever the focus shifted to the Wall stuff.

tumblr_lbnhe7DHx71qzktgc.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
KingGondo said:
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/map/

Lots of other good resources on the HBO website, just sniff around a bit.

did we ever get official free city maps before?

KingGondo

Banned
jon bones said:
I thought I remembered an expanded map with A Feast for Crows, I could be wrong though.

I'm sure this one was done with GRRM's blessing though. (Although I kinda liked imagining the lands across the Narrow Sea without a roadmap in my head, it seemed more mysterious...)

jon bones said:

Nope, that's the first place we have seen them. ADWD apparently has the free city maps those are based on though.

KingGondo said:
I thought I remembered an expanded map with A Feast for Crows, I could be wrong though.

You're probably thinking of the Slaver's Bay area map in ASOS.

- Ratings dip:
EW.com said:
'Game of Thrones' ratings dip
by James Hibberd

Thanks for reminding me, Twitter followers: Game of Thrones ratings are in. But they went down a tick for the first time, with Sunday night’s premiere slipping a tad.

The 9 p.m. airing delivered 2.4 million (compared to last week’s 2.6 million). Most of the difference was picked up during the encore airing, with the night’s total at 3.2 million (compared to last week’s 3.3 million).

methodman said:
Yep. This next Sunday will be tough for the ratings too, new episode on Memorial Weekend.
Plus the HBO Go preview for that episode. Fingers crossed that Episode 8-10 pick up some momentum to drive dvd/blu-ray sales and get people on board for next season. Overall, it's been showing a good trend of growth over the season.

methodman

Banned
Cornballer said:
Plus the HBO Go preview for that episode. Fingers crossed that Episode 8-10 pick up some momentum to drive dvd/blu-ray sales and get people on board for next season. Overall, it's been showing a good trend of growth over the season.

HBO has to be taking into account the numbers that are watching on HBO Go. Wonder if that information will be released?

methodman said:
HBO has to be taking into account the numbers that are watching on HBO Go. Wonder if that information will be released?
Yeah, I was just about to mention that. I'm curious what sort of numbers they're putting up on HBO Go on a weekly basis, and how many people are checking out Ep 7 early via the service.

yacobod

Banned
man thats crazy talk, the wall is the best realized set on the show, kit harrington casting is on the level of the arya casting, and it has the best cast of character actors in all the roles. it's fully realized, couldn't have been better imo.

Scribble

Seriously? There's all these juicy and deliciously flawed characters in the Seven Kingdoms, all scheming and flailing and failing, and Jon the JRPG protagonist is seen as the 'peak' of GRRM's colourful and varied world. He's like Harry Potter or some shit.

I don't have a problem with the casting. Arya is okay, but she comes across as more one-note in the series. As I said, she reminds me of a renegade Veruca Salt (Tim Burton's ver.) every time she opens her mouth.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Basileus777 said:
Nope, that's the first place we have seen them. ADWD apparently has the free city maps those are based on though.

yea i was wondering why i never realized bravos was so far north.

pretty cool that the book readers got some new info just from the hbo show.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ultron87 said:
(book 3)
That would change Jon's character arc way too much. And somehow turn Jon into an even more Mary Sueish character that he already is.

I sometimes wonder if ASOI&F fans even know what a Mary Sue is.

Scribble

NewLib said:
Book Theon was pretty pathetic as well.

Yeah, but he seemed more like a evil Saturday morning cartoon villain whose plans have been foiled. At least, the way he's described at the beginning of the book gave him more of a sinister edge.

HK-47 said:
I sometimes wonder if ASOI&F fans even know what a Mary Sue is.

I dunno, Jon just reminds me of that part in a job interview where you turn your weaknesses into strengths.

Did I actually hear Jaime say "I could care less..." in Ep.7?

fallengorn said:
Was checking out the HBO store and would totally get the Clegane wall plaque... if they didn't have to brand it Game of Thrones and have the house name on it. It just kills it. :(

http://store.hbo.com/game-of-throne...tail.php?p=300694&v=hbo_shows_game-of-thrones
the funniest thing is, you can actually choose if you want the plaque with or without the house words (not with clegane as they don't have words), but you can't choose with or without house & GoT branding

q_q

Scribble said:
Seriously? There's all these juicy and deliciously flawed characters in the Seven Kingdoms, all scheming and flailing and failing, and Jon the JRPG protagonist is seen as the 'peak' of GRRM's colourful and varied world. He's like Harry Potter or some shit.

I don't have a problem with the casting. Arya is okay, but she comes across as more one-note in the series. As I said, she reminds me of a renegade Veruca Salt (Tim Burton's ver.) every time she opens her mouth.
I don't know, Jon is the one character you can pretty much have abiding love for and not feel bad about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a clear protagonistic character so long as your story isn't based solely around him. With certain stories this characterization fails because it is the crux of the plot. With this series it works I think precisely for the reason you gave above: that there are so many other characters that are not as pure as Jon is. He's the one character, like Ned, that readers can put all their stock in. I guess I just disagree with the idea that a character needs to have obvious or fatal flaws to be an interesting character, especially in a world filled with so many flawed characters as this one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom