• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Season 1 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Also: Maisie is sooooo fucking good. I love how they found the absolute perfect actress for an absolutely critical role. Arya is on nearly everyone's top 3 list and Maisie killed the role.

That little shivering she does as she's upset and Syrio is pushing her...middle-aged Oscar winners practice their entire lives to get that kind of emotion in a scene and sometimes fail.

shintoki said:
Tyrion confessing his sins was golden. I lost it with the final one, Tyrion talking about bringing a Jackass into a whore house, Lysa silencing him, and Robert asking him what happened next.

Yeah, Robert/Robin's sudden interest in his story made my day.

ezrarh

Gonaria said:
Anyone else think that Mord was freakin awesome? TV Mord>>>Book Mord

I thought he was hilarious. Although his club was obviously a soft foam type thing and not something that would hurt, which I guess makes it even funnier.

Sotha Sil

bengraven said:
Also: Maisie is sooooo fucking good. I love how they found the absolute perfect actress for an absolutely critical role. Arya is on nearly everyone's top 3 list and Maisie killed the role.

That little shivering she does as she's upset and Syrio is pushing her...middle-aged Oscar winners practice their entire lives to get that kind of emotion in a scene and sometimes fail.

Yeah, Robert/Robin's sudden interest in his story made my day.

THIS.

Amazing.

bengraven

Interesting twist on Viserys. You could see it in his face that he was actually jealous and threatened by Dany's baby, something I never really felt when I was reading the books. He kind of disregarded the child as some bastard freak. Seeing him scared enough to want to steal the eggs was a MAJOR departure from the series, but actually was really really well.

There are some moments in this show that far surpass the books - something I could have never dreamed of. I wouldn't be surprised if many fans even start saying the TV series is much better than the books.

Gonaria said:
Anyone else think that Mord was freakin awesome? TV Mord>>>Book Mord

YES. I want a Punch and Judy like puppet show with Tyrion and Mord. lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed episode six, but their decision to take such a minimalist approach in terms of having lots of people on screen is making everything seem small scale and kind of hurting my enjoyment.

Robert's hunting expedition where just him and three others are traipsing through the forest with nothing but spears in their hands seemed really poorly done, in my opinion. Same with the Dothraki feast. There were like 20 people in that tent. In fact, the whole Dothraki horde thing just seems poorly done. I doubt we've ever seen more than 100 of them on screen at any time, when Khal Drogo is supposedly in charge of a horde 40,000 strong. This kind of stuff, along with the tiny tourney is really making Westeros seem like a sparsely populated place. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten a bigger budget for this.

Oh well, the dialogue, characters, and costumes are all excellent and really make the show.

7BGjL.gif

(Slightly edited version)

The series is getting better and better. I almost wish I haven't read the books because I keep comparing the show to the book and what was changed. It'd be nice to go into it blind not knowing what was going to happen.

q_q

Gonaria said:
I still say that Tywin would have made the best king. While he is probably too ruthless and cold-hearted, I think he is definitely practical, flexible, and has the smarts to make a good king. More importantly, I get the impression that he wants to govern the realm effectively, bring peace, prosperity, and what not. If the cost of that is a few nobles heads on spikes, well, I think the commoners would totally be ok with that.

Robert clearly wasnt a very good king, I agree, but I don't think Ned would have made a very good King either. Better than Robert, but Ned is just too inflexible that he couldnt form alliances or do things, sometimes necessary things, that goes against his honor. I think he would have fractured the realm long before the present time if he was made King
Totally agree on Ned. He wasn't made out to be a ruler and this episode really hammered it home. If only he had been willing to compromise with Littlefinger, he could have been successful. That's what makes his story all the more tragic. He never wanted any of this power, he was basically forced into it and got caught up with all these people who were much less honorable and virtuous than he. As a reader, it actually hurts a lot. I sometimes wish he would have just stayed in Winterfell and we could have had a different character get caught up in this mess.

Also, I didn't quite notice this in the books, but why the fuck did Robert remove all witnesses from the room when he made Ned Lord Commander? He had to have known he couldn't have trusted his wife, especially after Ned was attacked by Jaime. Why not declare Ned Lord Commander with a bunch of witnesses there, so there would be no struggle for power? Just seems all kinds of dumb to me. I can't believe even Robert was that stupid.

Episode 6 > Episode 7

7 actually kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth after 6 was so outstanding. Will watch it again next week, and maybe enjoy it more. It did have a couple of really good moments, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Watching episode 6 now. I'm really glad they kept the "I should wear the armor, and you the gown" line. I really love the fact that many lines from the book do make it to the show.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dogfacedgod said:
The series is getting better and better. I almost wish I haven't read the books because I keep comparing the show to the book and what was changed. It'd be nice to go into it blind not knowing what was going to happen.

I sometimes feel the same way. As a TV show, it's excellent. The atmosphere, dialogue, acting, etc... is all great. It's just that some of the really important things in books, like the direwolves, and the general sense of scale, are just not being represented in the show very well at all. I fear for how they will handle some of the larger battles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Baratheon was so well cast. I really didn't expect him to do much in the role, considering the roles he's played in the past, but shit he's pulling it off better than anyone could have. He's actually making Robert a far more interesting character in the show than in the books.

KingGondo

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Baratheon was so well cast. I really didn't expect him to do much in the role, considering the roles he's played in the past, but shit he's pulling it off better than anyone could have. He's actually making Robert a far more interesting character in the show than in the books.
Agreed, although it's hard to picture Mark Addy ever having been a huge, imposing warrior.

q_q said:
Totally agree on Ned. He wasn't made out to be a ruler and this episode really hammered it home. If only he had been willing to compromise with Littlefinger, he could have been successful. That's what makes his story all the more tragic. He never wanted any of this power, he was basically forced into it and got caught up with all these people who were much less honorable and virtuous than he. As a reader, it actually hurts a lot. I sometimes wish he would have just stayed in Winterfell and we could have had a different character get caught up in this mess.

Also, I didn't quite notice this in the books, but why the fuck did Robert remove all witnesses from the room when he made Ned Lord Commander? He had to have known he couldn't have trusted his wife, especially after Ned was attacked by Jaime. Why not declare Ned Lord Commander with a bunch of witnesses there, so there would be no struggle for power? Just seems all kinds of dumb to me. I can't believe even Robert was that stupid.

In the book he kicked everyone out then brought back Selmy and Renly I think to view him sealing the paper. Or something like that.

suzu

Zefah said:
I sometimes feel the same way. As a TV show, it's excellent. The atmosphere, dialogue, acting, etc... is all great. It's just that some of the really important things in books, like the direwolves, and the general sense of scale, are just not being represented in the show very well at all. I fear for how they will handle some of the larger battles.

I guess it really is hard to get the dogs to do stuff.. I would've liked to see them killing forest hobos with Bran and Robb lol. That cat was a better actor. ;)

Piecake

Zefah said:
I enjoyed episode six, but their decision to take such a minimalist approach in terms of having lots of people on screen is making everything seem small scale and kind of hurting my enjoyment.

Robert's hunting expedition where just him and three others are traipsing through the forest with nothing but spears in their hands seemed really poorly done, in my opinion. Same with the Dothraki feast. There were like 20 people in that tent. In fact, the whole Dothraki horde thing just seems poorly done. I doubt we've ever seen more than 100 of them on screen at any time, when Khal Drogo is supposedly in charge of a horde 40,000 strong. This kind of stuff, along with the tiny tourney is really making Westeros seem like a sparsely populated place. It's too bad they couldn't have gotten a bigger budget for this.

Oh well, the dialogue, characters, and costumes are all excellent and really make the show.

Likely an issue with budget. I didnt have too big of a problem with the feast, but man, that hunting party was pathetic. They should have at least had 10 people on screen, and them riding horses. Ive always felt that the Dothraki scenes needed a lot more people in them. The wedding needed like 100 extra people. The Khalesar definitely needed more people in it as well.

Hopefully they will get a bigger budget next season and can afford more extras. season 2 spoilers
They better, or the Battle of Blackwater is going to look rather pathetic. I wanna see hundreds of people burning and thousands of people clashing and fighting and dieing. GIVE IT TO ME HBO

Mumei said:
What is difference between the portrayals of Viserys in the book and in the show supposed to be? They seem pretty similar to me, but maybe I embellished the book version in my head or something.

As others have said, in the show Viserys just seems more looney, like just really detached from reality. At times, I've pitied him because he's... well... pitiful. He has no idea what he's gotten himself into and has no idea how people perceive him. The book arguably makes him the same, he's still a nasty little bugger, but perhaps it's just more difficult for me to imagine in print, I never pitied Viserys... I always wanted him to die. In the show, he was just a pitiful judge of reality and it was very obvious to see that.

I think that the show has done him expertly, btw.

Piecake

q_q said:

I don't think it would have made a difference to Cersei, Littlefinger, and Slint. But yea, If Ned actually followed Littlefinger and Renly's advice after Robert died, I think it would have turned out far differently. I honestly believe that Littlefinger's deal was genuine since I think he would have much rather dealt with the Starks than the Lannisters, and it would have put him in a better position earlier on. Too bad Ned's honor got in the way

I've gotten used to the scale and the series is starting to become a lot more enjoyable for me now that the writers have gotten a lot of the exposition out of the way.

Episode 6 was the first and only one worthy of "amazing" television thus far imo. I think we'll get 1 or more 2 at that level...probably the last one.

I think Clash will have a lot of episodes at that level though--mostly because of Arya and Joffrey.

Episode 6 was the best episode yet and it's not remotely close. The cinematography was vastly improved from every other episode and there was a remarkable lack of awkward exposition. Daniel Minahan needs to do the rest of the season and all of season 2.

Piecake

Dark FaZe said:
I've gotten used to the scale and the series is starting to become a lot more enjoyable for me now that the writers have gotten a lot of the exposition out of the way.

Episode 6 was the first and only one worthy of "amazing" television thus far imo. I think we'll get 1 or more 2 at that level...probably the last one.

I think Clash will have a lot of episodes at that level though--mostly because of Arya and Joffrey.

Oh, I imagine that Clash season will be improved as well. Better material, but, most importantly, they have it already set up, so no need to have episodes with a crap ton of exposition

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't recall, is this the first time we meet Beric Dondarrion in the books?
He seemed pretty random of an appointment by Ned in the episode, though I thought he had some kinship with the Starks prior.

bengraven

I love Tyrion's: "FUCK YOU, I'M OUT" when leaving the Eyrie.

Much more in character than Lysa saying "fine, go, but you'll go with nothing and die in the mountains".

I dunno what it is about the actor portraying Littlefinger, but he just doesn't come off as believable to me. Ever since we first saw his face in King's Landing did I think that, and during episode 7 it really hit home.
The way he's talking to the two whores, before, during and after he tells them how to 'do it', it wast just dull and distracting, really. Good thing I had the whores to focus on. :lol

John Harker said:
I don't recall, is this the first time we meet Dondaron in the books?
He seemed pretty random of an appointment by Ned in the episode, though I thought he had some kinship with the Starks prior.
He's introduced at the Hand's tournament in the books, iirc.

bengraven

I think Dondarrion was supposed to be extremely handsome?

Edit: series spoiler
Joffrey half of Sansa's first scene made me LOL. I couldn't stop laughing even when the music became dramatic and he grew more passionate.

"I can never be cruel to you again, you're my lady" LAWL LAWL

SephCast said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we know if season 2 will be called "Clash of Kings"?
Almost certain that it will still be "Game of Thrones" but there's a slight chance they could subtitle it as the "Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings" or something like that.

bengraven

"I don't want anyone brave and gentle and strong, I want him!"

VLTQ9.gif

SephCast said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but do we know if season 2 will be called "Clash of Kings"?

The entire series is called Game of Thrones. Season 2 will be GOT: Season 2.

Ferrio

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, the guy playing Bronn is pretty much how I imagined the guy very good portrayal. Always enjoyed him and Tyrion's chats.

ultron87

Cornballer said:
Almost certain that it will still be "Game of Thrones" but there's a slight chance they could subtitle it as the "Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings" or something like that.

(whole series)
That title will be weird when we get to the end of the series and no one gives a crap about the throne because the Others are swarming out of the North.

bengraven

I like Game of Thrones better than "A Song of Ice and Fire" anyway.

Ferrio said:
Like I said in the other thread, the guy playing Bronn is pretty much how I imagined the guy very good portrayal. Always enjoyed him and Tyrion's chats.

I expected someone a bit more gritty handsome, but I'm happy with our Bronn. He's got the casual swagger and money-sniffing sense that Bronn needs. He looks exhausted, but ready to stroll over and cut someone's head off at a moment's notice. He's Bronn.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ultron87 said:
(whole series)
That title will be weird when we get to the end of the series and no one gives a crap about the throne because the Others are swarming out of the North.

Pretty big assumption there. The phrase "game of thrones" was used in the books as recently as AFFC, and there's really no reason to assume what you're saying.

Cornballer said:

He mentions "I remember them saying at the beginning there were going to be no dreams, no flashbacks, but we have seen a couple of Bran's dreams, so I don't know," he said. "They can always ask me."

Book 1 Spoiler

I may have missed this being discussed before, but how else would they show the Ned's flashback to Tower of Joy scene? They can't skip that, right?

Piecake

ultron87 said:
(whole series)

By then, I dont think anyone watching it will really care. Game of Thrones was the best title that they could come up with. A Song of Ice and Fire just sounds too much like corny fantasy. Game of Thrones better reflects what the series is now and simply doesnt sound like a show that has magical elves, dwarfs, wizards, spells, heros, villains, what-have-you

Zod the Bear said:
Book 1 Spoiler

I may have missed this being discussed before, but how else would they show the Ned's flashback to Tower of Joy scene? They can't skip that, right?

If we are going to get that scene, the best chance of that is when Ned is in the black cells and is going all hallucinating from the pain

Zod the Bear said:
Book 1 spoilers.
The actual confrontation with the Kingsguard wouldn't make much sense to a viewer of the show, and I doubt they'd spend much time explaining all of that. A dream sequence where he finds Lyanna dying would make more sense, though I don't know if they will have that in the show.

scosher

Zod the Bear said:
He mentions "I remember them saying at the beginning there were going to be no dreams, no flashbacks, but we have seen a couple of Bran's dreams, so I don't know," he said. "They can always ask me."

Book 1 Spoiler

In all honesty, I really don't see how they can show the Tower of Joy scene without (a) making it seem cheesy and jarring to the pace of the show, and (b) being utterly confusing to the non-reader. Casual viewers will not even know who the knights defending the tower are, who Ned's toad-like man-at-arms is, or the entire significance of the dream without extremely stilted and forced exposition.

They may include a flashback to Lyanna's "Promise me, Ned," as that has just as much significance as the Tower of Joy scene, but afaik, Lyanna has never been cast

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
The actual confrontation with the Kingsguard wouldn't make much sense to a viewer of the show, and I doubt they'd spend much time explaining all of that. A dream sequence where he finds Lyanna dying would make more sense, though I don't know if they will have that in the show.

Yeah, I don't expect the entire scene with the "where were you when.....?" riddles.

However, your second spoiler makes a lot of sense. There's a ton you can say just by showing (book1,but better off being a whole series spoiler)
Ned walking into Lyanna's death chamber...the sight of blood on her hands. I only hope they don't suddenly cut it with a baby's cry, because that right there would be a massive spoiler.

LCfiner

bengraven said:
Great beat when Sansa says "I'll give him sons with bright blonde hair" and suddenly the pieces fall together for Ned.

loved that bit. that beat worked so much better than the scene where he's reading off the Baratheon hair colors in the book. it's not beating you over the head with the obvious quite as much.

bengraven

LCfiner said:
loved that bit. that beat worked so much better than the scene where he's reading off the Baratheon hair colors in the book. it's not beating you over the head with the obvious quite as much.

I actually watched it again, because I was so enamored with the emotional rollercoaster going over Sean Bean's face that I didn't hear Sansa saying "they wouldn't look like the king, nothing like the king, the fat old man".

That said, the whole reading off of the Baratheon's hair colors was great, but I don't think they really needed to be so black and white by saying "Joffrey Baratheon, blonde hair". I think we knew that by now.

ultron87

scosher said:
They may include a flashback to Lyanna's "Promise me, Ned," as that has just as much significance as the Tower of Joy scene, but afaik, Lyanna has never been cast

(all books)
The importance that the book puts on Ned's promise makes me think that they absolutely have to include this scene in some form or another. Especially since it is probably a key piece of evidence to the identity of Jon's parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom