• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware is Apparently Working on a PS5 Exclusive, Project “Velvet Veil”

LRKD

Sounds more like a fans wet dream then a leak. I could def see another FromSoftware exclusive coming to PS in the future though. Probably be more like Deracine then Bloodborne lol.

sublimit

Banned
Uh-huh...right. I'm calling BS on this one.

Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, I have a hard time believing Sony wouldn't green light a sequel to one of their most coveted IPs from last gen, especially if they're willing to collaborate with FromSoftware again.

The prospects of a spiritual successor sounds good, but a Bloodborne 2 would be guaranteed to sell PS5s.
They already have the Bloodborne IP that they can use in the future (if From feels like working on it). But why not let From create a fourth IP for them while having the freedom of something new? The more original IPs they have the better.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Baseless rumor is baseless. May as well have the source be “Some dude I knew who knew a girl who’s grandma used to know someone at From Software”.

MrS

Banned
the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-i30592.jpg

Please be true. GOAT partnership that has yielded some phenomenal games

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Here we goes again with another Souls rumor...

At least its not Bloodborne PC port this time. Kinda weak if you ask me, sounds more like someone was desperate to put invent something.

kingkaiser

I would pay a high price for a Miyazaki game that does not play in a mediaeval or Victorian setting again but instead uses a futuristic background and space travel. Ah well, one can dream...

Uh-huh...right. I'm calling BS on this one.

Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, I have a hard time believing Sony wouldn't green light a sequel to one of their most coveted IPs from last gen, especially if they're willing to collaborate with FromSoftware again.

The prospects of a spiritual successor sounds good, but a Bloodborne 2 would be guaranteed to sell PS5s.
One of most coveted IP? Bloodborne? LMAO. It’s not even top ten.

yurinka

After the Kadokawa+Sony deal I'm 100% sure that once they release Elder Ring will focus on a 2nd party Sony game, which will be a Soulsborne. Call it Bloodbone 2, call it a spiritual sequel, call it a new ip, but I'm pretty sure it will be something like that.

I believe they will indeed release a new Sony's IP this gen.
PS1: King's Field, Armored Core
PS2: Eternal Ring, Evergrace

PS3: Demon's Souls
PS4: Bloodborne
PS5: Knack Trident
Fixed it for you

Last edited:

Aenima

Hope its true, and hope it used the same fighting mechanics as Bloodborne. Big dodges, parry, no shields.

SSfox

Sony didn't invest in them for no reason and they were not name-dropped by Hermen for no reason. Ties between the companies are very close.
IDK about that rumour, but Hermen seems to be more interested into investing on western panpan boumboum games so far.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hahahahahaha..... I wish I could take that seriously.
Anyway, continuing on! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Think they had a 3 game deal with them, I cannot recall. Deracine might be the 2nd game, this rumored game could be the third.

Wasn't Demon's Souls the first? Or this deal came later?

Last edited:
Please be something new. I'm tired of them developing the same type of game for over a decade. Time to move on and ignore the rabid Souls fanbase.
Riddle me this - how does someone else enjoying the games/franchise they love affect your life? Are there not enough of variety games for you to play? With that notion maybe Nintendo should stop making Mario and Zelfda games. Good idea.

Why don't you go play My Barbie Adventures instead?

iHaunter

RUMOR: Platinum Games are working on a secret project called Scalebound 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

See I can do it too.

Riddle me this - how does someone else enjoying the games/franchise they love affect your life? Are there not enough of variety games for you to play? With that notion maybe Nintendo should stop making Mario and Zelfda games. Good idea.

Why don't you go play My Barbie Adventures instead?
Way to miss my point. Damn a lot of you really didn't know this developer existed over 10 years ago lol

Tutomos

I can see this being fake like Persona 5 Royal is coming to game pass, but from this example, we can see that both Xbox and Playstation fans are thirsty for Playstation exclusives.

Kokoloko85

Bless us once more Miyazaki Sama.

This is the best exclusive I can ask for

(even if this is not real, Bloodborne and Dark souls are my top 10 favourite games of all time so would love this) demon souls and sekiro get my love too

yurinka

Think they had a 3 game deal with them, I cannot recall. Deracine might be the 2nd game, this rumored game could be the third.
From Software made around 40 exclusive games for Sony across all their home consoles and PSP. So forget that '3 games deal' idea, it must be totally fake. They are basically part of the family.

On top of that, Sony and From's parent company made a deal recently where Sony was going to help them to give their a more global appeal and to help their stuff more successful worldwide. Which pretty likely means Sony publishing, marketing at least outside Japan, and overviewing/supporting development. Pretty much what they always did with 2nd party games. On exchange, Kadokawa gave like 2% of the company shares to Sony.

From Software is by far the most appealing studio Kadokawa has, so Sony will ask them for From Software exclusives.

Way to miss my point. Damn a lot of you really didn't know this developer existed over 10 years ago lol
I am well aware From Software have developed multiple different IPs in the past such as Otogo 1 and 2 for the original Xbox and Armored Core. I am assuming your talking about others.
You must be forgetting that King's Field was basically the original idea of Dark Souls types of a game, except that it was in 1st person but had similar ideas of exploring dungeons and killing mobs.

The more souls, the better, I am super hyped to see where the franchise can evolve and its some of the best games I've played in my life. None of these games reek of any stupid political bullshit, they feel gamey, have great sense of exploration and story telling through out the game's world, great gameplay and mechanics and some of the most world class art direction. You want less of that? Sad.

I can't do this, not until there's something more concrete. Yes, From has 2 teams at least and we know one is still working on elden ring (if not both), so at most there would only be some early concept art and storyboards.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why would Sony fund FromSoft to make a "spiritual successor to Bloodborne" if they own the rights to the franchise and the very same target market and fanbase want an actual sequel to the real thing?

Dr Bass

Dang, they really missed their chance to name this Project "Ensconced in Velvet."

Why would Sony fund FromSoft to make a "spiritual successor to Bloodborne" if they own the rights to the franchise and the very same target market and fanbase want an actual sequel to the real thing?

Enable more creator freedom and creativity, and sometimes endless numbered sequels aren't the best way to go. That's what I got. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Orpheum

Seems plausible. The source also leaked elden ring 5 years ago and another sony partnership makes sense

I am mildly hyped

Many people wanted a sequel to demon's souls. still do to this very day, doesn't matter if it's a sequel or spiritual successor. if it's from software you bet your bottom dollar sony is going to want to jump at the chance of locking down a new ip from them.

leizzra

I love Bloodborne, it's my game of the decade. That's why I don't want Bloodborne 2. From Software is great in making new IP's but then sequels aren't this good. Secondly Myiazaki himself said that he likes doing new stuff. That's why he is working on new IP's and leaves sequels (Dark Souls 2 and 3) to others.

I'm a big fan of Soulsborne but with Elden Ring I'm getting tired of the same schemes - they are recycling the sames ideas since Demon's Souls (or even from earlier games) and it begins to be really tireing for me.

New IP? Yes please but let it be something really new, just like Bloodborne was.

skit_data

I doubt this rumour, but if it’s true;

-Wtf, From! We just got the Elden Ring trailer! You want me to go longing after another trailer?!

skit_data

I love Bloodborne, it's my game of the decade. That's why I don't want Bloodborne 2. From Software is great in making new IP's but then sequels aren't this good. Secondly Myiazaki himself said that he likes doing new stuff. That's why he is working on new IP's and leaves sequels (Dark Souls 2 and 3) to others.

I'm a big fan of Soulsborne but with Elden Ring I'm getting tired of the same schemes - they are recycling the sames ideas since Demon's Souls (or even from earlier games) and it begins to be really tireing for me.

New IP? Yes please but let it be something really new, just like Bloodborne was.
I agree 100%.

Bloodborne is a really good stand alone game, I’d rather have new IPs in a new interesting setting. Half of Bloodbornes story appeal is that reveal after killing Rom, the ”Oh, this is what this game is about?!”-feeling that can’t be captured again in a sequel.

I don't believe it. They'll either do a full Bloodborne sequel or nothing at all. You usually do a spiritual successor when you don't own the IP, which is not the case here.

skit_data

I don't believe it. They'll either do a full Bloodborne sequel or nothing at all. You usually do a spiritual successor when you don't own the IP, which is not the case here.
But they did a new IP with Bloodborne, despite owning Demon’s Souls?

I think it’s more plausible they’d make a brand new IP rather than a sequel to Bloodborne

FunkMiller

Gold Member
From are no strangers to developing two games at the same time.

This is entirely believable, especially when you look at how Elden Ring isn’t pushing graphical boundaries.

Bloodborne 2? Possibly not, given the story ending. But a spiritual successor sounds fine to me.

A late 2023 release is most likely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom