• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware is Apparently Working on a PS5 Exclusive, Project “Velvet Veil”

Strange how so many people want From Software to move away from the formula and kind of game they've become known for. You almost never see that with other developers known for only making one type of game. When was the last time someone complained about id Software only doing shooters, Polyphony Digital only doing racing games, or Paradox only doing strategy games?

mortal

Gold Member
They already have the Bloodborne IP that they can use in the future (if From feels like working on it). But why not let From create a fourth IP for them while having the freedom of something new? The more original IPs they have the better.
I'm not opposed to anything here nor is it up to me to "let" them lol. I'm just not buying that Sony wouldn't want to follow through and build on the great reception from Bloodborne. I'm very much looking forward to Elden Ring.

One of most coveted IP? Bloodborne? LMAO. It’s not even top ten.
yMImLz3.gif

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to anything here nor is it up to me to "let" them lol. I'm just not buying that Sony wouldn't want to follow through and build on the great reception from Bloodborne. I'm very much looking forward to Elden Ring.

yMImLz3.gif
Uncharted, Horizon, Ratchet&Clank , TLoU, Spiderman, GOW, GT, Ghost, Infamous, and Littlebigplanet are all more valuable IP.

mortal

Gold Member
Uncharted, Horizon, Ratchet&Clank , TLoU, Spiderman, GOW, GT, Ghost, Infamous, and Littlebigplanet are all more valuable IP.
What part of "one of" did you not understand?

I'm not sure why you're making seem as if I made the claim that Bloodborne is objectively better or more valuable than any of those titles.
Hell, even the titles you listed off are all at various levels of success and appeal to various audiences.

It was a critical and commercial success, especially for a hardcore game not at all aimed at causal audiences.
It was developed in part by one of the premiere developers in the industry. It has a huge cult following.
A sequel would be guaranteed to move PS5s if Sony ever decided to green light said sequel.

If you personally didn't enjoy it as much as others that's fine, but it's silly to be so dismissive when the reception says otherwise.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Bloodborne 2 = more weapons. more magics, more weapon arts and tricks, bigger worlds and location, more bossess = goty

laynelane

Yeah, I am in the camp that BB doesn't need a sequel with how contained it is, and ended. And I adored BB. I would not be opposed to one though.

A spiritual successor or the like? Yes please. I actually prefer they do different games/IPs with all their similarities and Easter egg like tidbits. Makes it feel like one giant connected universe, or a multiverse.

I'm in the same boat with Bloodborne. I loved it, it's one of my favourite games of all time - I was even posting my own glyphs for Chalice Dungeons online at one point. But it ended on a perfect note. Still the combat and world are so enjoyable I wouldn't say "no" to a sequel either and it's a definite "yes!" for a spiritual successor.

kungfuian

Sony launching PS5 with Demons Souls gives me hope they know just how special Bloodborne and all the Souls games really are. They might not sell as much as something like the Spiderman's of the world, but the games are really really special and carry a hardcore following. They would be crazy not to bring us more.

Bartski

Gold Member
This is the only thing that really matters in this thread.

Ignore the 4chan post because it cannot be quantified so there is no point trying to put it forward as evidence unless you get some video footage that doesn't exist on the internet again like with Project Beast.
The reddit posts however are very, very good evidence - look at the stack of things he somehow knew in advance - every single one of them is spot on.

1. Dark Souls Remaster
  2. Very obvious reference to GRRM
  3. Armored Core - Pretty sure this was said before Miyazaki confirmed to (I think it was Dualshockers) that an Armored Core was indeed in development
  4. "Reboot Tenchu" - Miyazaki has said that Sekiro Shadows Die Twice started out as a Tenchu game
  5. Calls the new game "Great Rune" which has since been confirmed by FROM to indeed have been it's internal name before Elden Ring
  6. Namedrops George RR Martin
  7. Makes note of FROMs involvement in Deracine
That is quite literally everything FROM has been involved in up until now. He very obviously has a genuine source inside FROM as the chances of someone being able to make these things up and getting lucky for it to be right is practically impossible.
Based on that there is no good reason to believe that Sony DIDN'T just "close a contract to make a prototype a new title" with FROM. It's possible that it will be their next game or possibly the one after AC if that is released next.

The only way you can logically discredit the part of Sony working on a new game with FROM here is if the user specifically edited that part of the DMs to fake that part of the conversation. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe someone can run it through some software to check if the image has been tampered with?

Either way it seems the chance of another Sony x FROM collaboration - considering this evidence - is high.

yeah but all this is is just great insight into the initial leak about Great Rune, DS:R, GRRM, Sekiro etc, but there is nothing there that would prove the source of the information about Velvet Veil is the same as old leak, which is what the leaker is claiming.

Since the mod of r/Greatrune is the only person who seems to have had real inside info, I asked him:

YckGCqa.jpg

So this only leaves us with some space to speculate the PlayStation deal mentioned in those leaks that started in 2016 is not Déraciné, or there is another one in progress. That might as well be true awesome and very likely, but the whole Velvel Veil leak could be all made up, just like the alleged Microsoft exclusive.

Last edited:
What part of "one of" did you not understand?

I'm not sure why you're making seem as if I made the claim that Bloodborne is objectively better or more valuable than any of those titles.
Hell, even the titles you listed off are all at various levels of success and appeal to various audiences.

It was a critical and commercial success, especially for a hardcore game not at all aimed at causal audiences.
It was developed in part by one of the premiere developers in the industry. It has a huge cult following.
A sequel would be guaranteed to move PS5s if Sony ever decided to green light said sequel.

If you personally didn't enjoy it as much as others that's fine, but it's silly to be so dismissive when the reception says otherwise.
It wasnt a commercial success just because it wasnt negative net profit. Where are these magic numbers coming from. Just because Days Gone sold more than Bloodborne, and has a cult following. It doesnt make it one of Sony’s top IP. “cult following” means nothing. Driveclub and The Order 1887 have extra cult following points.

All the games I mentioned are actually successful. And Sony hiring FromSoftware for another “souls” game, but not make a sequel to bloodborne. Means they also believe the IP doesnt move the needle.

I have zero negative opinion of bloodnorne.

luffie

Uh-huh...right. I'm calling BS on this one.

Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, I have a hard time believing Sony wouldn't green light a sequel to one of their most coveted IPs from last gen, especially if they're willing to collaborate with FromSoftware again.

The prospects of a spiritual successor sounds good, but a Bloodborne 2 would be guaranteed to sell PS5s.
It's called a "code name" dude, try not to read on rumors so literally.

sublimit

Banned

Obviously.:pie_fwt: I was referring to Sony.

mortal

Gold Member
It wasnt a commercial success just because it wasnt negative net profit. Where are these magic numbers coming from. Just because Days Gone sold more than Bloodborne, and has a cult following. It doesnt make it one of Sony’s top IP. “cult following” means nothing. Driveclub and The Order 1887 have extra cult following points.

All the games I mentioned are actually successful. And Sony hiring FromSoftware for another “souls” game, but not make a sequel to bloodborne. Means they also believe the IP doesnt move the needle.

I have zero negative opinion of bloodnorne.
Extra cult following points relative to Bloodborne? That's debatable.
Bloodborne was developed in part by a 3rd party developer, one that's been busy developing a huge game for the past several years. They could very much be developing more than one, so it's not like they had an open schedule.
Nothing is official here as this is a rumor. It's certainly plausible that what you're saying might be the case, but sorry I remain unconvinced.

This is the same Sony that was willing to green light and help fund a AAA remake of Demon's Souls, a niche game from 2 console generations ago. All the games you listed off were more commercially successful than the original Demon's Souls. A Bloodborne 2 is not off the table as far as I'm concerned.

It's called a "code name" dude, try not to read on rumors so literally.
Maybe, although spiritual successor implies something else. If anything I'm not taking any part of this rumor as literal, because I don't believe it.

Last edited:
I believe the game is real but I doubt Sony struck a deal again with FromSoftware; it's probably being published internationally by another company that is not Bandai Namco

AJUMP23

Gold Member
what have you done..

Actually if you like From games it hard for me to grasp how you could hate it. Its kinda like DS3.
Sekiro I understand was a curveball.
I just hated the combat mechanic and the first area really put me off. I just did not like it.

plushyp

BB is still the best From game. How there is not even an enhanced version of that game is a travesty. Sequel or spiritual successor, either would be fine with me.
Given that BB has a faster combat style compared to their other games, calling it the best From game is a matter of what the player likes more.

I'll believe it when I see it. "Insiders" have basically blown their load over the past few weeks, and in terms of PS-related ones we JUST had the ones who kept saying the FF Souls-like was gonna be a PS5 exclusive only to turn out it's multiplat and had a horrendous trailer debut & bugged demo on top of that.

So basically, any rumors from here on that aren't hardware-based I give zero fucks about, because 99% of the time they will end up wrong or be so easy to speculate, literally anyone can start them and be an insider.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
what makes you think that? that will just deflate the hype. bloodborne 2 should only go ahead if fromsoftware will be the ones developing it.

1. SCEJ is dead
2. FROM has had great success doing multiplats with Namco and Activision that outsold Bloodborne by a lot

it’s not 2012 anymore FROM is huge now

Extra cult following points relative to Bloodborne? That's debatable.
Bloodborne was developed in part by a 3rd party developer, one that's been busy developing a huge game for the past several years. They could very much be developing more than one, so it's not like they had an open schedule.
Nothing is official here as this is a rumor. It's certainly plausible that what you're saying might be the case, but sorry I remain unconvinced.

This is the same Sony that was willing to green light and help fund a AAA remake of Demon's Souls, a niche game from 2 console generations ago. All the games you listed off were more commercially successful than the original Demon's Souls. A Bloodborne 2 is not off the table as far as I'm concerned.
Demon Souls was a remake and a launch game. Launch games arent expect to sell. They have a very limited market. They are supposed to showcase the console. Giving the keys to Blue Point on Demon Souls sequel can be pretty successful. They can make it a challenging Elder Scrolls. But we are not talking about Demon Souls.

My point Bloodborne isnt a top ten Sony IP. A IP Sony greenlights unlimited sequels.

its like calling Bayonetta a top Nintendo IP.

mortal

Gold Member
Demon Souls was a remake and a launch game. Launch games arent expect to sell. They have a very limited market. They are supposed to showcase the console. Giving the keys to Blue Point on Demon Souls sequel can be pretty successful. They can make it a challenging Elder Scrolls. But we are not talking about Demon Souls.

My point Bloodborne isnt a top ten Sony IP. A IP Sony greenlights unlimited sequels.

its like calling Bayonetta a top Nintendo IP.
Sony bankrolled a remake of Demons' Souls because they didn't expect it would sell? All due respect , but you realize how silly that's sounds?
No they did so because it's an IP associated with FromSoftware, who have since garnered even wider praise across the gaming industry since 2015.
It was developed by a BluePoint, a developer with solid track record. Sony did this knowing full well that the PS5 install base wouldn't be at the same point as PS4's,
I'd imagine they recognize there is a dedicated audience for sort types of games and it would sell PS5s thanks to the pedigree of the names associated with the IP.

A challenging Elder Scrolls, what are you talking about, my guy? I'm mentioned Demon's Souls because it's more a relevant comparison to the discussion, certainly more than your comparisons of Elders Scrolls and Bayonetta lol.
One again Bloodborne may not be in your personal top 10 ranking, but let's not make it seem like what you're saying holds any objective weight.

I remain unconvinced there won't be a Bloodborne 2 before this console gen is over with.

Last edited:

martino

Any Japanese exclusive for PS seem like really safe bet to me.
If I wanted a moment of fame I would launch one

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How many souls games can we really play, honestly.
The aesthetics of these games are absolutely fantastic. Probably one of my all time favorites. That’s a very hard thing to agree with because they always add something to either the gameplay or the world.. I think crazy fan rumors are hard to believe unless we see some footage or something. Project Beast had that tiny bit of footage. I sure hope they never burn the formula. 3/4 games with their own unique style and a very unique IP with Bloodborne and Sekiro. I don’t know about you, but they each have their own unique traits. Elden Ring is open worldish and it has horse riding. That’s all new to the formula and it all just works. I’m not going to ignore them for making another good game with a similar design structure.

Last edited:
Sony bankrolled a remake of Demons' Souls because they didn't expect it would sell? All due respect , but you realize how silly that's sounds?
No they did so because it's an IP associated with FromSoftware, who have since garnered even wider praise across the gaming industry since 2015.
It was developed by a BluePoint, a developer with solid track record. Sony did this knowing full well that the PS5 install base wouldn't be at the same point as PS4's,
I'd imagine they recognize there is a dedicated audience for sort types of games and it would sell PS5s thanks to the pedigree of the names associated with the IP.

A challenging Elder Scrolls, what are you talking about, my guy? I'm mentioned Demon's Souls because it's more a relevant comparison to the discussion, certainly more than your comparisons of Elders Scrolls and Bayonetta lol.
One again Bloodborne may not be in your personal top 10 ranking, but let's not make it seem like what you're saying holds any objective weight.

I remain unconvinced there won't be a Bloodborne 2 before this console gen is over with.
It isnt my personal feelings. Im going by SALES. Facts. NOT brownie points.Sony doesnt give a fuck about 2-4 million in sales. They have bangers selling 10+ million.

Bloodborne success is underneath Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Days Gone, Death Stranding. All net postives. Would they get sequels? Never say never. But if Bloodborne is a top IP, Idk what Sony IP isnt considered a one.

AmuroChan

I don't know if it's BB2 or a new IP, but it's not exactly a stretch to predict that From is working on a PS5 exclusive. After all, Sony entered into a strategic partnership with Kadokawa (parent company of From) earlier this year and has a 2% minority stake in the company.

V4skunk

Banned
I don't even care about these rumours just give me elden ring injected straight to my veins with a dose of git gud scrub.
January needs to come now praise the sun and umbasa.

mortal

Gold Member
It isnt my personal feelings. Im going by SALES. Facts. NOT brownie points.Sony doesnt give a fuck about 2-4 million in sales. They have bangers selling 10+ million.

Bloodborne success is underneath Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Days Gone, Death Stranding. All net postives. Would they get sequels? Never say never. But if Bloodborne is a top IP, Idk what Sony IP isnt considered a one.
If it were strictly up to sales Sony wouldn't be so on keen taking so many risks to green light as many new IPs as they have. They would'n't have green lit a AAA remake of a niche game from 2 console generations ago that sold well under 10 million.
Never say never is my mind set here, this isn't like Days Gone where Sony outright confirmed they would not be following up with a sequel.
If we get a Bloodborne Remastered for PS5/PC, that will only reaffirm the likelihood of proper sequel once FromSoftware no longer have their hands full with Elden Ring, at least imo.

This conversation is going in circles, tbh. We're just going have to agree to disagree lol.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
That rumor is rubbish.
Why would FROM Software sink hundreds of thousands of man hours into developing an exclusive for Sony? FROM of today isn't the same company that signed with Sony to develop Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They have funding, a *Winning Formula* and fans consume anything they do, doing degrading second party contract work now makes no sense.
Not saying it's impossible, but in such a collaboration the power dynamic would be completely different from before and exclusively would most likely be timed instead. Because that's the only thing Sony could afford.
erm....because Sony finances it!?
season 2 beating GIF

Top Bottom