• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware is Apparently Working on a PS5 Exclusive, Project “Velvet Veil”

RoadHazard

Gold Member
From are no strangers to developing two games at the same time.

This is entirely believable, especially when you look at how Elden Ring isn’t pushing graphical boundaries.

Bloodborne 2? Possibly not, given the story ending. But a spiritual successor sounds fine to me.

A late 2023 release is most likely.

Yeah, they pretty much made BB and DkS3 simultaneously (although BB was released earlier).

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Shampoo Shredder GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
Considering how long it has taken Elden Ring and that we're also supposed to be getting a new Armored Core after, if this is real it's not happening for quite some time. I know some people think there's no way Sony wouldn't get them to work on Bloodborne 2, but it's entirely possible that Miyazaki and FromSoft just don't want to do a sequel. They may want to do something that doesn't hold them down to the mechanics and themes of the first game.

Holammer

That rumor is rubbish.
Why would FROM Software sink hundreds of thousands of man hours into developing an exclusive for Sony? FROM of today isn't the same company that signed with Sony to develop Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They have funding, a *Winning Formula* and fans consume anything they do, doing degrading second party contract work now makes no sense.
Not saying it's impossible, but in such a collaboration the power dynamic would be completely different from before and exclusively would most likely be timed instead. Because that's the only thing Sony could afford.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That rumor is rubbish.
Why would FROM Software sink hundreds of thousands of man hours into developing an exclusive for Sony? FROM of today isn't the same company that signed with Sony to develop Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They have funding, a *Winning Formula* and fans consume anything they do, doing degrading second party contract work now makes no sense.
Not saying it's impossible, but in such a collaboration the power dynamic would be completely different from before and exclusively would most likely be timed instead. Because that's the only thing Sony could afford.

Why would From Software enter into an exclusive deal with a company they’ve had exclusive deals with before?

Hmmmm.

Isn‘t the same company? Why? From were successful with DS 1 & 2 before Bloodborne.

Totally believable they’d want to work with Sony again. It’s been a very successful partnership.

Snake00

I think Japan Studio contributed a lot to Bloodborne. Reaching that level of excellence again is gonna be hard without them.

Perrott

Gold Member
Wait, what?
Last year they signed with Sony for a PS5 exclusive (not Bloodborne 2), but given that a source who talked about both Sekiro, Deráciné and Elden Ring has mentioned that in mid 2017 Sony and From agreed on a deal to develop a prototype for a new game, then we may have two PS5 exclusive projects in development (one relatively close to completion, the other in early stages of production).

It could also be the case that the 2017 game never made it past the prototype phase.

Varteras

Gold Member
That rumor is rubbish.
They landed on a winning formula 6 years prior to Bloodborne and released 3 Souls games before its release. They also released Deracine for Sony 3 years after Bloodborne. Their parent company, Kadokawa, entered into a capital alliance with Sony as well. If another exclusive deal has indeed happened, they are no doubt being well paid for it. Sony is making it clear that they are investing more in exclusives than they ever have before. They sank $330 million over a 9 month span into "second party" exclusives. There were no doubt deals prior to that and deals after. Sony recently announced its plan to invest $18.4 billion over the next 3 years into their entertainment divisions. Not the least of which is PlayStation. And the more money PlayStation makes, which seems to be growing rather well, the more they'll invest.

I think Japan Studio contributed a lot to Bloodborne. Reaching that level of excellence again is gonna be hard without them.

Bloodborne 2 seemed like it should happen. However with the destruction of Sony Japan Studio, maybe not.
Japan Studio didn't really have THAT much to do with Bloodborne. They were mostly just there for support and to act as the publisher for the game. XDev handles all of PlayStations third party publishing deals now. As far as quality, FromSoft has had no issue achieving that since Bloodborne. Both Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro, which came after Bloodborne, were well received.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From are no strangers to developing two games at the same time.

This is entirely believable, especially when you look at how Elden Ring isn’t pushing graphical boundaries.

Bloodborne 2? Possibly not, given the story ending. But a spiritual successor sounds fine to me.

A late 2023 release is most likely.
Yeah, I am in the camp that BB doesn't need a sequel with how contained it is, and ended. And I adored BB. I would not be opposed to one though.

A spiritual successor or the like? Yes please. I actually prefer they do different games/IPs with all their similarities and Easter egg like tidbits. Makes it feel like one giant connected universe, or a multiverse.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

man hours into developing an exclusive for Sony? FROM of today isn't the same company that signed with Sony to develop Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They have funding, a *Winning Formula* and fans consume anything they do, doing degrading second party contract work now makes no sense.

Imagine being so out of touch that you post shit like this.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, I am in the camp that BB doesn't need a sequel with how contained it is, and ended. And I adored BB. I would not be opposed to one though.

A spiritual successor or the like? Yes please. I actually prefer they do different games/IPs with all their similarities and Easter egg like tidbits. Makes it feel like one giant connected universe, or a multiverse.

A From Software multiverse would be amazing! Can you imagine the amount of lore?

Oh My God Wow GIF

bitbydeath

That rumor is rubbish.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Wasn't Demon's Souls the first? Or this deal came later?

A user said Sony and From's Parent Company Kadokawa recently had a deal in place that has Sony owning like 1.8% of the company.
From Software made around 40 exclusive games for Sony across all their home consoles and PSP. So forget that '3 games deal' idea, it must be totally fake. They are basically part of the family.

On top of that, Sony and From's parent company made a deal recently where Sony was going to help them to give their a more global appeal and to help their stuff more successful worldwide. Which pretty likely means Sony publishing, marketing at least outside Japan, and overviewing/supporting development. Pretty much what they always did with 2nd party games. On exchange, Kadokawa gave like 2% of the company shares to Sony.

From Software is by far the most appealing studio Kadokawa has, so Sony will ask them for From Software exclusives.

That's news to me. My face has been inside of PC hardware retail sites and actual stores, more than anything else. I'm not even surprised that I missed this.

That rumor is rubbish.
You act like From Soft hadn't released Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 before they made Bloodborne.

These games probably sell 4 to 1 on PS vs Xbox anyway.

Mentat02

Banned
good luck getting Miyazaki to work for Sony again. Sure they can get fromsoftware to make another game but it will probably be the guys who made Dark Souls 2. Miyazaki is done with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. He has also stated that he is working on a new IP after Elden Ring, not for Sony.

Vognerful

I really doubt this is true (more like wishful thinking). We got teased for several weeks that FF origin from Tecmo was going to be PS5 exclusive (you tell me how that ended).

I believe FROM are done with this and feel that they lose more making an exclusive to ps5 unless they are allowed to sell it on PC as well.

yurinka

OZ9000

Banned
If it's an indie, then so is Dark Souls. It's the same damn company.
Dark Souls is clearly a fully fledged AAA title.

That VR game in the post above is not.

I loved Dark Souls - I consider it one of the best RPG games ever. However, the same mechanics have been seen in every recent From game. Demon's souls, Dark souls 1/2/3, Bloodbourne, Sekiro, and now Elden Ring. The market is also saturated with Souls clones.

It's getting boring.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

First of all let us get to Elden Ring and enjoy it then we talk about the "next" game/project. It seems that some gamers cant wait to get excited for the next project after they see the current project, consumerism mentality is something i dont really get. For now i dont care about their next project as long as the upcoming project is not released. This type of project will start to interest me a few months after Elden Ring gets released.

demonstr8

ok this is starting to get more interesting.
4chan thread in question: https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/560211895

also,

This is the only thing that really matters in this thread.

Ignore the 4chan post because it cannot be quantified so there is no point trying to put it forward as evidence unless you get some video footage that doesn't exist on the internet again like with Project Beast.
The reddit posts however are very, very good evidence - look at the stack of things he somehow knew in advance - every single one of them is spot on.

1. Dark Souls Remaster
  2. Very obvious reference to GRRM
  3. Armored Core - Pretty sure this was said before Miyazaki confirmed to (I think it was Dualshockers) that an Armored Core was indeed in development
  4. "Reboot Tenchu" - Miyazaki has said that Sekiro Shadows Die Twice started out as a Tenchu game
  5. Calls the new game "Great Rune" which has since been confirmed by FROM to indeed have been it's internal name before Elden Ring
  6. Namedrops George RR Martin
  7. Makes note of FROMs involvement in Deracine
That is quite literally everything FROM has been involved in up until now. He very obviously has a genuine source inside FROM as the chances of someone being able to make these things up and getting lucky for it to be right is practically impossible.
Based on that there is no good reason to believe that Sony DIDN'T just "close a contract to make a prototype a new title" with FROM. It's possible that it will be their next game or possibly the one after AC if that is released next.

The only way you can logically discredit the part of Sony working on a new game with FROM here is if the user specifically edited that part of the DMs to fake that part of the conversation. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe someone can run it through some software to check if the image has been tampered with?

Either way it seems the chance of another Sony x FROM collaboration - considering this evidence - is high.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
If they are actually making something I hope it's something fresh. The formula is getting a bit stale for me.
Sekiro was a nice change of pace, but the general style and structure was still too close to feel new.

Top Bottom