• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fraternity Suspended over notebook detailing rape and lynching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danièle Watts thread was a pretty great example

unbelievable the shit the majority of people posted within the first several pages

or the thread with the title with something along the lines of "cop turns off body camera then kills person" when in reality the article clearly stated that the cop was being attacked by a shovel, which broke the camera, and shot the guy after getting fucked up by the shovel and legit fearing for his life

i could go on, but yeah that's a good starting point

So many people must have that thread bookmarked. It must be like a security blanket for you

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's almost like frat boys are exactly like you'd expect them to be.

Frat boy:
6089_unnamedf.jpg

My hometown :/

Yeah racism is very alive and healthy in the South still, even in the bigger cities like Raleigh. My best friend growing up there had a grandfather with an all black "staff" at his home in the historic district neighborhoods. It was always uncomfortable being around it, I could definitely feel this almost plantation mentality still at work there.

Kinyou

This is literally a plot of SUV

“It was just a group of young men at state making jokes about raping people, raping children, raping dead women, making very overt racist comments,” said NCSU senior Katie Perry, who handed the notebook over to local news station WRAL after her co-workers happened upon it.

I know who to cast

Except minority frats and sororities are not immune from the racism and stupid shit that goes on either.

The entire system is stupid and outdated.

Why don't you start a thread about how minority frats and sororities are bad too, and I'll continue to focus on the frat in question in this thread.

Replicant

No way, racism and sexism double whammy? What a shocker!

Except not really.

IME, racism, sexism, and homophobia usually go hand in hand. If someone possess one of those 3 traits, then they are likely to possess the other traits as well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's like these dumbasses don't know that babies fucking pee too.

Shiiit.

That's the joke.

While they wrote some nasty stuff in there, it's ultimately just words. Is there any evidence they actually did any of this stuff? A lot of them front with this type of attitude to "play the role" but don't actually believe any of it. Which just makes the whole fraternity thing even stupider.

jmood88

Having lived in Raleigh (and next to a few people who proudly flew confederate flags), this doesn't surprise me at all.

leadbelly

Banned
That's the joke.

While they wrote some nasty stuff in there, it's ultimately just words. Is there any evidence they actually did any of this stuff? A lot of them front with this type of attitude to "play the role" but don't actually believe any of it. Which just makes the whole fraternity thing even stupider.

Yeah. As disgusting as it is, it is kind of absurd to think this is like a handbook of their fraternity activities. I know there are people out there who will take it that seriously.

Tuesday - Rape a baby day. Activities start from 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Wednesday - Lynch a minority day. Meet in the bushes around 12:00am. Bring your own balaclava.

It is utterly moronic behaviour, but it's not that.

JoeBoy101

Don't know why I didn't post this sooner with its happening in my town. I think I kinda expected I would have been beaten to the punch.

Anyways, can't really wrap my head around this. The hatred or the stupidity. Yeah, that's what we need to do with all this noxious drivel we have ping-ponging around the empty melons on our shoulders, make a written record of it and forget it at dinner out.

JDSN

Banned
Except minority frats and sororities are not immune from the racism and stupid shit that goes on either.

The entire system is stupid and outdated.

Probably the most amazing variation of "What about black on black crime?" ive seen on the internet, this is so ingenious in its fuckery.

XenodudeX

Careful not to break your wrists hi-fiving yourself. Choosing a picture of someone who was also beaten bloody by cops for having a fake ID was also an interesting choice

#notallfratboys indeed

Apparently it wasn't even a fake ID. It was his actual ID.

Black people should meet them half way and at least try to understand it from those kids' perspective. It's the only way we as a people can come together. I'm tired of talking about race, I'm past it. I don't even see race anymore, we're all one race, the human race. I don't think punishing the kids for this is the right way to go about this entire thing. All it does it reinforce their views on life, I say let them go with a stern talking to, why ruin their college lives over harmless jokes in a notebook? FIRST AMENDMENT!!!!
Finally a black person talking sense about race. This is what the black community needs to end racism, which doesn't exist anymore.

To preface: I was not in a frat in college but I have to say the focus on the fact this was a frat seems pointless.

If these idiots weren't in the frat they'd still be at NC State, behaving the same way.

I'm just glad these fucktards left that notebook there and got busted. Hahahaha. That's amazing karma.

Enzom21

Careful not to break your wrists hi-fiving yourself. Choosing a picture of someone who was also beaten bloody by cops for having a fake ID was also an interesting choice

#notallfratboys indeed

They are saying it was his actual ID:

Johnson was standing near the Trinity Irish Pub around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, Watkins said, when "an employee of the establishment approached him and asked for his license."

The employee quizzed Johnson about his zip code, and Johnson provided his mother's current zip code, Watkins said. The number is different from the one listed on his current Illinois license. Watkins said that at that point, Virginia ABC agents questioned Johnson about being in possession of false identification.

Johnson is originally from Chicago, where his mother still lives. He was never in possession of a fake ID, Watkins said.
Which makes this even more infuriating.

Meowster

The fraternities at my college left an unflattering taste in my mouth. Their main focus was partying (which I have no qualms with enjoying a good party but when a large amount of whispers of rape come from those parties..) and having the freshman terrorize the dorms at night. I wouldn't mind seeing them gone or, at the very least, seek major major changes.

You're missing the context of that reply.

Someone asked me what the "positive" stereotypes were on fratboys (as to my statement of, a good portion of of /b/ fit the negative stereotypes of "fratboy" without having any of the "positive" stereotypes). So, I was simply pointing out that while both /b/ (and quite a few "nice guys" a la /r/niceguys) possess some of the same negative stereotypes (misogynist, racist, etc), at least a "frat bro" should also have some of the stereotypical positives that maybe the other group lacks, like the ability to socialize.

I know 100%-against-racism-and-sexism-else-you-are-literally-Hitler people tend towards self-righteousness, but it's really almost hypocritical because people are also naturally biased and prejudiced, with the tendency to form in-groups. It's almost paradoxical-- forming an in-group based on hating on others that also participate in in-groups... if no statement is absolute, then how do you know no statement is absolute?

girl i was just picking on you gawd

that said i don't think being social/positive/proactive are stereotypical behavior of fraternities, perhaps the stereotype fraternities hold for the concept of a fraternity but i don't think the more popular archetypal representations of fraternities would regard those elements as positives balanced against the negatives, whether they do or don't actually have a large number of individuals who, regardless of them being racist sexist or whatevah, are also nice, positive, proactive guys is a measure of fact not of stereotypical behavior

a similar reading could be had of the very same people you're contrasting them to, the /b/ folks who are stereotypical basement dwellers with an unhealthy mountain dew/blood ratio, but who could in truth be very nice guys and girls who just happen to release their lesser ideals on the internet, much like the fratbros did with their little book

sorry if i pissed you off

Machine

Yeah guys, I was in a fraternity when I was younger. We definitely had an agenda in place to rape as many women as possible etc ect. It's totally an objective of any organized group of white individuals.

OceanBlue

To preface: I was not in a frat in college but I have to say the focus on the fact this was a frat seems pointless.

If these idiots weren't in the frat they'd still be at NC State, behaving the same way.

I'm just glad these fucktards left that notebook there and got busted. Hahahaha. That's amazing karma.

I wonder how many of them came into the frat with these sentiments, as opposed to people who might have not known much about interacting with minorities at first but became heavily influenced by older members.

Yeah guys, I was in a fraternity when I was younger. We definitely had an agenda in place to rape as many women as possible etc ect. It's totally an objective of any organized group of white individuals.
#notallfrats

But seriously, as someone who has never been in one, I don't have a problem with the idea of frats. Any group can do good or bad. I'll just be happy if we can keep weeding out the bad ones.

I have no idea what you're trying to argue. You don't believe there are positive stereotypes of frat boys?

You do realize that many, many our of Presidents and Senators have been/are in fraternities, right?

The "stereotype" of "fratbros" are guys that like to party, socialize, and hang out at the gym working out. They may be douchey but they are "extroverted" (and physically attractive!) Are you really disputing this?

Sounds to me like you're saying it's only stereotypical if it's negative behavior. It's not a stereotype if it's positive behavior [patently untrue, the idea that all Asians are good at math is still a stereotype].

Seems like you just want to attribute all the negatives to "well they didn't do anything to stop it/repent/dissociate/speak up, so they're guilty of all these bad things," which I suppose you can argue, but to tackle that on and say "well we can't generalize positives about them because that's individual behavior" is nonsensical as fuck, because it's the institution that is responsible for it (through mixers, philanthropy, rush, etc). So, no, please don't selectively apply what it means to stereotype.

No. I don't think i'm doing any of those things. I meant only that the dominant stereotype of fraternities (as represented in media, fictional and non fictional) does not include those stereotypical behaviors as positives. Given a more scrutinous analysis one could understand that that stereotypical behavior can be represented positively, but that's beyond the scope of what the stereotype seeks to portray. I'm sure you can see that the same behavior can be seen through a positive, negative, or even apathetic light, right? It's not hard at all to have a predisposition against fraternity culture so strong that one can quickly turn those positives into negatives. The surmounting negative stereotypes about fraternities do not coalesce with possible positive behaviors, so whatever positivity can be found is left behind or distorted into negativity. I think that's the case with fratbro stereotypes.

Uh, yeah, that's why I thought it was amusing in the first place? Both "groups" shit on each other for various stereotypes-- "blah blah those stupid rich white fratboy rapists" and "blahblah those dumb loser nerds." Yet, in the case of the latter, they often aren't any less racist or sexist than the first group.

You're safe here, you can shit on frats. GAF is (thankfully) heavily moderated and comes down pretty hard on sexism and racism. I appreciate it a lot. That being said, at times, it does turn into yet ANOTHER in-group hating on other in-groups. In these cases, it can be a [self[righteous cause, but in the end then you (general you) are still being contemptuous and looking down on them because you think you're "above" them. You can argue that it's better to form a group based on hating people [for right reasons!!!!] that hate others [for wrong reasons!!!!] But, all I see here, is Barty Crouch, Sr, during Voldemort's days.

Not that there's not a problem with racism and sexism in frats the same way there's a problem with sexism and racism in video game culture, but a lot of the reaction looks more like the equivalent of tumblr. RAH RAH SO EVIL AND TERRIBLE THE PATRIARCHY; ALL MEN ARE SCUM.

This reads like you're complaining about gaf behavior about which i don't have an opinion.

(Do you really assume I'm pissed off simply because I'm taking the time to respond, as thoroughly and best I can, to you? I cared enough to take the time to write this all to you, but I'm not sure why you automatically equate thought with anger.)

No your posts just seem more antagonistic recently so i thought maybe you were growing disenchanted with gaf. And i know i piss some people off with my short posts.

J10

Banned
Why were they writing this stuff in a notebook for anyway?

Setting goals is important. From another thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014988

A great thing you can do is just plan. If you've got goals, set them out. Once they're there in black and white facing you, it's difficult to deviate from them. Jump out of yourself and you can do anything.

What this guy said. Write out your goals and break each one into several smaller steps. Cross them off the list as you complete them. The visual of making progress will reinforce your momentum.

Some people just have evil plans.

Keri

Yeah, that does seem to be true (as best we can tell) for the fraternity with the notebook, but the article quoted in the OP also references another incident:

At Penn State, the Kappa Delta Rho fraternity has been suspended over allegations that members used a private, invitation-only Facebook page — dubbed “Covert Business Transactions” — to post photos of passed out women, many of whom were nude. Similar to the NCSU episode, members of the fraternity commented on the photos with observations such as “banged her lol” and “Lol delete these photos or we’ll be on cnn in a week.”

This basically reads as a website where the fraternity posted pictures of its sexual assault victims. So, the problem of fraternities having misogynistic views isn't a completely harmless one (not that you stated it was).

riotous

Banned
I went to quite a few frat parties in the late 90s.

Between my buddies stories of crab-walking naked across wet basement floors with hot dogs pinched in their ass cheeks to the severe beatings I witnessed when frat-bros figured out a non-bro was at their party flirting with "one of their girls" I was pretty disgusted by them.

Pretty much every guy I've ever known in a frat would brag about some disgusting behavior of theirs at some point or another right up until the conversation turned into "frats are disgusting" and then suddenly they'd be listing the community events they put on or charities they volunteered for.

Which is the exact culture frats are preparing these people for.. to put on appearances but act like a hedonist any chance you can get.

I'm surprised that other people find this surprising. If you lock a room of guys up together with nothing to do, this is what will happen. I've been saying for years that colleges shouldn't host frats or sororities on their campuses (HBCU campuses already do this with black frats/sororities). That way, you just force all this shit off campus, and let the regular police deal with it. Alot of the problems these colleges are experiencing stems from the fact they're trying to create an artificial environment where there are fewer rules than in the "real world."

Regardless of grades they tend to land high paying jobs?

This is the real reason they exist. There are plenty of people in high paying managerial jobs that will land you a job just because you were in the same frat as them. Its a wise investment in your future, and you get to have alot of un-monitored fun at college.

#notallfratboys indeed
His ID wasn't fake.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How about soriorities? I mean, they're the equivalent for a reason. Most frats are assigned a "frat brotherhood-sisterhood" thing with one another (Forgot the actual name) so that both genders hang out and interact a ton.

Look, I think there are plenty of "good" frats. And lots of good frat people, obviously. The issue for me is the idea of putting teenagers under the "wing" of 20 year olds with arcane rules, single gender institutions and creating either the image or in some schools the actual fact that without a fraternity or sorority, you're screwed socially. It breeds exclusivity, defacto aristocracies, and as we see time and time again, toxic mini-cults.

You could wrap that system in any kind of branding - and end up with really concentrated negative results. Which is the problem with the system. And let's be honest here, we all know frat people and we all know institutionalized idiocy, including racism and homophobia from people who wouldn't otherwise be racist or homophobic (often inheriting 100 year old attitudes from the house or local bigotry from the institution and literally learning these by rule and by rote), and date rape. That alone, even if it were just one frat per school (and let's face it, it's a lot more than that) would be reason enough to consider shaking up the way we teach our young men and women how to become adults.

It's (the scale of it at least) a uniquely American phenomenon and I think it creates social retardation, and unhealthy networks of "old boys" and mini plutocracies later in life. I cringe when forty year old executives make that connection in real life.

It's literally Lord of the Flies: Party Edition.

I'm not saying kids should be banned from creating groups, or living with people they want to live with - but people do that naturally, organically, based on shared interests and compatible personas, without creating men or women only clubs and I'd argue that in other countries, kids grow up a bit faster because they're not coddled by an infantile institution and are exposed to broader types of thinking and vastly more diversity by going to college and just living like an adult.

Anyway, I am still all for beer bongs, house parties, and possibly even Togas. It simply doesn't need the cult trappings or quasi-legal structures.

Metaroo

#notallfrats.

Still never heard a compelling argument for building a club based on peer pressure that didnt invole the convenience of mild corruption in later life. Frats could go away forever tomorrow with zero ill effects.

Point of going to college is to grow up, not revert.

This is pretty much what it comes down to. Lets get with the times American Collegiate system >_>

You're right, we should have let women in. That would have made it better. We really didn't have any weird rites though.

I see you were unable to argue any of my other points though. It's a lot easier to keep generalizing about a large group of people whenever one of these unpleasant stories crops up, rather than hold the individuals or the chapter in question responsible.

Oh what is with the mock outrage? No, that is not how this works. If you have a collection of a voluntary participation thing (frats) and we can show that behavior like the one in the OP exists, then it is possible it is in all of those frats. So it is up to you to prove to me that yours would never do such a thing. Because from my perspective, it is a very real possibility that it could since, you know, you CHOSE to be in it.

FStop7

Banned
Ugh, that's just fucking wrong. I hope this shit coming out to light makes these messed-up fraternities get a fucking clue.

Also, holy shit guys. While I understand the hate for the frats like these, which keep fucking shit up and acting like cunts, not every frat member is the same.
I mean, you can swing insults all you want at these guys and all of the others like them, since they deserve it and more, but damn.
I'm part of a frat, I don't do shit like this, but reading through these comments paints peeps in such a way that I'm a bit shocked. Like, I love GAF and all, but reading some comments here make me want to rethink being here if I'm thought of as an asshole just because I'm in a group. :/

It's what happens one when a stereotyped/marginalized group gets a chance to tee off on a group known for being comprised of dicks/popular kids, etc. And of course if you point out the groupthink, someone screams something something 'not a hive mind.'

Jesus christ... If I ever have a daughter, from age like 14-21 I'm going to instill in her a fear of college fraternities so bad that she doesn't ever go within a mile of one. There's enough concrete proof(in terms of news stories, police logs, etc) that it'd be hard to not be scared of frats if you're in their typical rape demographic. Fraternities are something between evil monkey hives and dens of ignorant, hateful man-children.

Edit: You can say not all frats are like this, but it's one of those things where so many of them are like that(due to human nature, I suppose), that it's not worth the risk.

Except for all the thousands of frat parties thrown every week where someone does not get raped, people don't fight each other, no racism is thrown around, and nobody gets raped.

The nice part about fraternity parties that specifically mix with another sorority is that both groups will have active sobers to make sure people aren't getting too drunk, to make sure that people have rides home, and to make sure the behavior is kept to an acceptable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom