• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fraternity Suspended over notebook detailing rape and lynching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, that's just fucking wrong. I hope this shit coming out to light makes these messed-up fraternities get a fucking clue.

Also, holy shit guys. While I understand the hate for the frats like these, which keep fucking shit up and acting like cunts, not every frat member is the same.
I mean, you can swing insults all you want at these guys and all of the others like them, since they deserve it and more, but damn.
I'm part of a frat, I don't do shit like this, but reading through these comments paints peeps in such a way that I'm a bit shocked. Like, I love GAF and all, but reading some comments here make me want to rethink being here if I'm thought of as an asshole just because I'm in a group. :/

Ugh, that's just fucking wrong. I hope this shit coming out to light makes these messed-up fraternities get a fucking clue.

Also, holy shit guys. While I understand the hate for the frats like these, which keep fucking shit up and acting like cunts, not every frat member is the same.
I mean, you can swing insults all you want at these guys and all of the others like them, since they deserve it and more, but damn.
I'm part of a frat, I don't do shit like this, but reading through these comments paints peeps in such a way that I'm a bit shocked. Like, I love GAF and all, but reading some comments here make me want to rethink being here if I'm thought of as an asshole just because I'm in a group. :/
Hey no worries. Certain groups are open season for GAF's stereotype flavor of the week. It'll die down in a month or so like most things in the media.

Cyan

Banned

Frats have been painted this way for decades now. In high schools, there was always the jock vs nerd divide. In college, that shifts to frat vs non-frat.

Hell, just look at Revenge of the Nerds to see how long this has been a thing.

WorldStar

Banned

you really surprised a forum dedicated to video games is hating on frats?

JCizzle

#notallfrats.

Still never heard a compelling argument for building a club based on peer pressure that didnt invole the convenience of mild corruption in later life. Frats could go away forever tomorrow with zero ill effects.

Point of going to college is to grow up, not revert.

One of my close friends was in a fraternity that has helped him a lot later in life (networking in other cities, job opportunities, etc.). They did some drinking and shit, but nothing like this. I think it's all about the kind of people you choose to associate with, as with most things in life.

Frats have been painted this way for decades now. In high schools, there was always the jock vs nerd divide. In college, that shifts to frat vs non-frat.

I get that, yeah. Still, holy shit.
It feels like I killed someone's dog or something when I read through some of these posts.
you really surprised a forum dedicated to video games is hating on frats?
I'm surprised that it's fine to do so when hating on anyone else (that doesn't deserve it, of course) is something looked down upon here.

The concept of a frat is just dumb - pay for friends, dedicate a significant focus on social life, etc. It's just carrying on the "cool kids" culture of high school to the next level.

I mean gamers have been painted as mouthbreathing unproductive and sometimes racist neckbeards for decades too. I somehow doubt that stereotype would really go over too well here, though.

Humidex

hqdefault.jpg

I mean gamers have been painted as mouthbreathing unproductive and sometimes racist neckbeards for decades too. I somehow doubt that stereotype would really go over too well here, though.

I think most of GAF would be willing to admit that there's a decently sized subset of gamers that hate women and possibly other minorities. Just as there's a subset of frats that hate women and black people.

I think most of GAF would be willing to admit that there's a decently sized subset of gamers that hate women and possibly other minorities. Just as there's a subset of frats that hate women and black people.
A subset of many groups probably, unfortunately. You're naturally going to find unsavory people in pretty much any cross section of humans.

But I still doubt in a thread about some gaming XBL user issue, there would be much tolerance regarding posters stating XBL users are dumb or useless or are racists.

Cyan

Banned

If you want to add to the conversation in a productive manner, please feel free to do so.

Kathian

Banned
Don't join a frat, have friends.
Frat members getting upset don't seem to realise how fabricated their group is. Its basically a social alliance which is just sad.

commedieu

Banned

You do understand, that people are commenting on the trend. And the trend is that frats are useless rapefests. A lot of personal experience, as well as just following stories. Yea, you're part of a culture that the world is critical of, due to how much fucked up stuff happens, without anyone from within the inside of the FRAT coming forward. Its always due to leaks, or the victims, but rarely members/leadership themselves. Much like 'good police' getting lumped in with the bad ones, when frats aren't speaking out against other frats, or drawing a harsh line in the sand that says "Our frat system needs to change" and not playing the victim of "but but our frat is ok! LAY OFF FRATS!"

I'd feel safe warning my daughter to stay away from open flame, because it might burn her. In the identical way, i'd warn her of frats. And I'd sleep perfectly fine knowing that it is generally, good advice.

You have to understand that your perspective, isn't the only one. The loudest perspective is the constant-stream of negativity and trouble that frats cause. You want to complain here because people are generalizing frats? Not all frats? No shit. I think every single person typing has the common knowledge that 100% of anything is rarely true, unless the subject is Dolomites badassness. Its nothing that needs to be noted, unless you don't understand human communication.

When people say "FUCK AMERICA!" clearly, they don't mean every single instance of an american, unless specified. Do they mean the people working within with volunteer groups/etc to help out people and help the country/people that need help? The elderly..? They generally mean the overall tone that stems from the country. From our military might and shitty diplomacy. You don't understand this, or what? You have your experiences with frats, unfortunately its drowned out by the rape and racism of large popular, nation wide, frats.

Why are you taking what people say about the overwhelming negative actions of Frats personally? Do you do negative shit..? Or are you not a part of that frat society -- that a whole lot of fraternities are. You're feigning shock right now at the concept that people look lowly on frats for a myriad of valid reasons. The concept of a frat, is enough for most to be put off by it. Its not quite a favorable thing in diverse circles, especially if the circles include women. Its a dated concept, and hopefully with all of this negativity, Frats will erode into nothingness.

Jesus christ... If I ever have a daughter, from age like 14-21 I'm going to instill in her a fear of college fraternities so bad that she doesn't go within a mile of one. There's enough concrete proof(in terms of news stories, police logs, etc) that it'd be hard to not be scared of frats if you're in their typical rape demographic. Fraternities are something between evil monkey hives and dens of ignorant, hateful man-children.

Exactly.

WorldStar

Banned
I've been crazy busy these past few weeks, so I'm sure I've missed stuff. Can you send me a link?

Danièle Watts thread was a pretty great example

unbelievable the shit the majority of people posted within the first several pages

or the thread with the title with something along the lines of "cop turns off body camera then kills person" when in reality the article clearly stated that the cop was being attacked by a shovel, which broke the camera, and shot the guy after getting fucked up by the shovel and legit fearing for his life

i could go on, but yeah that's a good starting point

#notallfrats.

Still never heard a compelling argument for building a club based on peer pressure that didnt invole the convenience of mild corruption in later life. Frats could go away forever tomorrow with zero ill effects.

How about clubs not based on peer pressure? I was in a fraternity with a strict no hazing policy. In fact there wasn't even a pledging process. You were either accepted because the other guys liked you, or you weren't. You may find this hard to believe but I was never once forced to do a single thing. I had a great two years there, and as far as I know no one got raped or lynched or forced to drink bleach or anything like that.

I think our fraternity was actually overall a very positive thing, for me and for the community. I made friendships that continue today, 15 years later, not to mention I met my wife through my friendships in the fraternity. I was the philanthropy chair so I organized volunteer work such as coaching children's soccer, participating in events for youths with developmental disabilities, spending time playing games and talking with older people at the local senior center, and cleaning up common areas around town.

So yes I think you are painting with an overly broad brush there.

DarkKyo

Jesus christ... If I ever have a daughter, from age like 14-21 I'm going to instill in her a fear of college fraternities so bad that she doesn't ever go within a mile of one. There's enough concrete proof(in terms of news stories, police logs, etc) that it'd be hard to not be scared of frats if you're in their typical rape demographic. Fraternities are something between evil monkey hives and dens of ignorant, hateful man-children.

Edit: You can say not all frats are like this, but it's one of those things where so many of them are like that(due to human nature, I suppose), that it's not worth the risk.

Kimawolf

I wouldn't say decent sized. Its a very loud group of people screaming on xbl about gays and black people and raping everything in sight but I'd believe the majority of gamers are good people. Just like the majority of frat and sorority people are good people.

Its also been this way for decades only difference is the bad ones are getting busted. But hey keep on generalizing 100s of thousands of people.

Cyan

Banned
How is that not a fair post when we can scroll right up and see comments just like that, except with a different target?

Metacommentary whining is never encouraged, and he's been doing it for several posts now. I gave a warning instead of banning because I get that it's probably frustrating to see this stuff. Let's move on. If people want to discuss the actual story, please do so.

If you want to add to the conversation in a productive manner, please feel free to do so.
I did. Just pointing out clear hypocrisy and acceptance of generalizations of people. Given some comments in here, how is that not productive?

I've also engaged in these debates only to have completely factual information and research ignored. But nothing I can do about that, I guess.

Edit: And on the actual story? What is there to discuss? It's disgusting and an investigation should happen and members expelled from the group.

Jesus christ... If I ever have a daughter, from age like 14-21 I'm going to instill in her a fear of college fraternities so bad that she doesn't ever go within a mile of one. There's enough concrete proof(in terms of news stories, police logs, etc) that it'd be hard to not be scared of frats if you're in their typical rape demographic. Fraternities are something between evil monkey hives and dens of ignorant, hateful man-children.
What about my fraternity? We threw a party one night where we discovered that some guy (not a fraternity brother) was going around trying to sell roofies to other guys. We immediately called the police and shut down the party and sent everyone home.

How do you figure were we being an evil monkey hive of ignorant hateful man-children?

A subset of many groups probably, unfortunately. You're naturally going to find unsavory people in pretty much any cross section of humans.

But I still doubt in a thread about some gaming XBL user issue, there would be much tolerance regarding posters stating XBL users are dumb or useless or are racists.

>paying for friends
>"school spirit!!"
>mixers, smokers
>"homecoming float"
>prioritizing social life over scholastic achievement
>oh, and odds are at least one frat on campus has been recently "suspended" for something related to rape, drugs/alc, or violence/vandalism

no thx bro

Two Words

What about my fraternity? We threw a party one night where we discovered that some guy (not a fraternity brother) was going around trying to sell roofies to other guys. We immediately called the police and shut down the party and sent everyone home.

How do you figure were we being an evil monkey hive of ignorant hateful man-children?
He is talking about the abstraction of a fraternity, you're talking about a concrete fraternity.

>paying for friends
>"school spirit!!"
>mixers, smokers
>"homecoming float"
>prioritizing social life over scholastic achievement
>oh, and odds are at least one frat on campus has been recently "suspended" for something related to rape, drugs/alc, or violence/vandalism

no thx bro
Factually incorrect. Dues exist. But guess what, shit costs money. Events, trips, etc. It is possible believe it or not to associate with a group and not decide to join. It's also possible to have friends outside of the group. Common even.
Mixers/smokers? Uh, welcome to college and young adults in general.
Homecoming? Many organizations participate. Sorry for liking and wanting to participate in a school?
Greek organizations generally have higher grades than the rest of the campus population.
Have you seen a campus crime report? It's generally ugly. And not nearly all of them are from Greek letter society members.

Are there issues at some campuses? Of course. Is it the default? Not really.

Dereck

#notallfrats.

ZpdFtLn.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How about clubs not based on peer pressure? I was in a fraternity with a strict no hazing policy. In fact there wasn't even a pledging process. You were either accepted because the other guys liked you, or you weren't. You may find this hard to believe but I was never once forced to do a single thing. I had a great two years there, and as far as I know no one got raped or lynched or forced to drink bleach or anything like that.

I think our fraternity was actually overall a very positive thing, for me and for the community. I made friendships that continue today, 15 years later, not to mention I met my wife through my friendships in the fraternity. I was the philanthropy chair so I organized volunteer work such as coaching children's soccer, participating in events for youths with developmental disabilities, spending time playing games and talking with older people at the local senior center, and cleaning up common areas around town.

So yes I think you are painting with an overly broad brush there.

Why does any of this positive stuff have to be a gender specific admission only club with weird rites? Every good aspect of fraternities was available to me in college without being part of a corruptible institution.

Why does any of this positive stuff have to be a gender specific admission only club with weird rites? Every good aspect of fraternities was available to me in college without being part of a corruptible institution.
A lot of things are possible without joining a group or association. I mean someone could still surf without joining the surf club. And they'd even save the perception of them being useless beach bums. Has anyone said you can't get a great college experience without joining a Greek organization?

And hell college itself is a "corruptible institution." Look at all those drunks and sports fans they breed.

You're right, we should have let women in. That would have made it better. We really didn't have any weird rites though.

I see you were unable to argue any of my other points though. It's a lot easier to keep generalizing about a large group of people whenever one of these unpleasant stories crops up, rather than hold the individuals or the chapter in question responsible.

How about soriorities? I mean, they're the equivalent for a reason. Most frats are assigned a "frat brotherhood-sisterhood" thing with one another (Forgot the actual name) so that both genders hang out and interact a ton.

Two Words

Simply put, college kids are not typically ready to have the kind of control and non-supervision given to fraternities. The benefits of a frat are not exclusive to frats. Frats are not necessary to get those positives.

To make an example of it, perhaps you get a ride to work regularly from a racist, sexist man. He helps you out and offers some benefit to your life. But his racism and sexism will either wear down your work morale or you might even start to think like him. It would be foolish to commit to getting rides from him just because there is something he gives you that is a positive. The smart choice would be to stop getting rides from him and find alternative methods that don't require you to socialize with an awful person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom