• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UVa Fraternity sueing Rolling Stone for defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

http://reut.rs/1kGU2T2

Glad this finally happened, here's hoping Rolling Stone continues to pay up for this disaster. These students were prisoners in their house as people protested and disparaged them over fabricated lies.

A University of Virginia fraternity sued Rolling Stone magazine on Monday for $25 million in damages over a discredited article about a 2012 gang rape at the fraternity.

The Phi Kappa Psi chapter filed the defamation lawsuit in Charlottesville, Virginia, Circuit Court against Rolling Stone and writer Sabrina Erdely, the fraternity said in a statement.

"Rolling Stone published the article with reckless disregard for the truth," it said.

Tried so hard to hide the first post. If he only put in that much effort in the first place to see why there is a lawsuit.

I bet you he is a millennial.

Cagey

Banned
Given the target (douche frat) and the claims (rape an underclassman), I fully admit to having bought the initially reported Rolling Stone story without questioning much of the story or thinking more information was needed. I was stupid.

I'm sure there's plenty others, as well.

Ominym

Banned
Rolling Stone vs. Frat Bros. No one wins.

Well, the edit button sure wins here because you clearly didn't read the article.

In regards to article? I don't blame them. Media needs to be held accountable and reminded why facts must always be as verified as possible.

let-them-fight.jpg

Cerium

I heard the author of the article is still employed as an editor by Rolling Stone. Does anyone know if this is true?

Fuchsdh

I heard the author of the article is still employed as an editor by Rolling Stone. Does anyone know if this is true?

The author was never an editor at Rolling Stone, but the magazine said they'd still take stories by her and the story editor at Rolling Stone kept their job as well.

Given the target (douche frat) and the claims (rape an underclassman), I fully admit to having bought the initially reported Rolling Stone story without questioning much of the story or thinking more information was needed. I was stupid.

I'm sure there's plenty others, as well.

Well, I mean, it wasn't all that unreasonable to have assumed that those involved at Rolling Stone had done their due diligence researching all this and checking facts. You know: Journalism. It's a big story specifically because this was a major case where they fucked everything up badly.

Oh hey look the perfect post to demonstrate why they're doing the lawsuit in the first place lol

Exactly. This is one of the more glaring problems with a system that does not protect the identities of the accused. People are judged and condemned in the eyes of public opinion long before they even have a chance to present their case in court.

Exactly. This is one of the more glaring problems with a system that does not protect the identities of the accused. People are judged and condemned in the eyes of public opinion long before they even have a chance to present their case in court.

Yeah if these dudes are vindicated then people will stop assuming fratboys are spoiled rapist creeps.

Jenov

Hope Rolling Stone gets taken to the cleaners then. There's no excuse.

According to this: http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/12/r...se-gang-rape-article-but-for-selfish-reasons/

"Erdely never did lose her job, even after Rolling Stone retracted the article. She kept the job even after the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism published a report that detailed her and magazine editors’ numerous failures... "

She's still employed with them, lol. The article rips her apart though, for crying over her career and not for what she did to the campus/frat.

edit: wrong url

LionPride

Banned
Why do all members of Frats get generalized into this terrible culture associated with Frats? Most Fraternities aren't like these cases that are seen in the media.

Into

That originally story was so obviously phony, it read like B-grade horror movie shit that Eli Roth farted out in some South American cocaine binge.

Of course the people who bought it are a complete mystery. My theory is that most did not actually read it, they saw the headline and thought "My GOD! WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!" and the ones who did read are perhaps the most gullible people on earth. "Nigerian princes" would love to get a hold of them and their emails.

RS has no excuse, just another case of poor journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom