• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UVa Fraternity sueing Rolling Stone for defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ominym

Banned
Ah another backfire pile-on time, it seems.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a pile on, if it is it shouldn't be anyway, because that's not an effective discussion. People are attempting to have a conversation with him/her and getting "lol i trolllllll u!" style garbage in return.

Edit: It's been taken care of. Anyway, here's hoping we can move on and discuss the topic at hand.

I feel bad for him, maybe it was a mistake. Why not apologize?

Well now I feel bad for him too. The fraternities killed his parents. I don't blame him for that one.

Anyway, RS fucked up. Then they kept fucking up by being associated with the "journalist." I'm sure they'll eventually settle out of court.

Bodacious

Banned
pXQYtGx.jpg

What a weird thread for something like this to happen.

I hope those guys demand an apology and admission to fraudulent journalism printed in the magazine as part of the settlement. That, and millions.

Arc

pXQYtGx.jpg

What a weird thread for something like this to happen.

I hope those guys demand an apology and admission to fraudulent journalism printed in the magazine as part of the settlement. That, and millions.

RS had their vetting process reviewed and it did not go very well.

Yep, good for them. This should be a slam dunk lawsuit. That shit should have never even come close to being printed and she should have been fired for even bringing that story to the editor without credible sources.

Malyse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_Erdely

That is correct. She still works for Rolling Stone. (Note - this is the second time she has written a probably false controversial story for Rolling Stone. We should expect her next poorly researched and overly dramatized expose in 2017.)

Exactly. This is one of the more glaring problems with a system that does not protect the identities of the accused. People are judged and condemned in the eyes of public opinion long before they even have a chance to present their case in court.

According to this: http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/12/r...se-gang-rape-article-but-for-selfish-reasons/

"Erdely never did lose her job, even after Rolling Stone retracted the article. She kept the job even after the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism published a report that detailed her and magazine editors’ numerous failures... "

She's still employed with them, lol. The article rips her apart though, for crying over her career and not for what she did to the campus/frat.

edit: wrong url

This is the part where I remind everyone that Alessandra Stanley still has her job and she's so fucking terrible that the times had to dedicate an editor whose only job was to fact check and fix her shit. (Though they did toss Stanley to a less relevant beat).

Expected and warranted.

This is pretty much a textbook example of why forming a soft opinion while waiting for more facts to come in or for the opposing side to be heard is warranted on controverial or unusual cases, lest you burn limited emotional reserves unnecessarily on a misplaced perspective or worse wrongfully indict actors. I'm not saying I'm immune from jumping to conclusions myself, of course, a common human foible made all the more common in this modern age.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Update from the overall case

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...st-might-have-spurred-u-va-gang-rape-debacle/

Ryan Duffin was a freshman at the University of Virginia when he met a student named Jackie.

Both teenagers were new to campus in September 2012, and the pair quickly became friends through a shared appreciation of alternative rock bands such as Coheed and Cambria and the Silversun Pickups. Early on, Duffin sensed that Jackie was interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with him. Duffin valued her friendship but politely rebuffed Jackie’s advances for more.

Just days after he met her, Duffin said, he was goaded into a text message conversation with a U-Va. junior named “Haven Monahan,” whom Jackie said she knew from a chemistry class.

What followed was what lawyers representing U-Va. associate dean Nicole Eramo described in new court documents as an elaborate scheme to win him over — a practice known as “catfishing” — that morphed into a sensational claim of gang rape at a U-Va. fraternity and a Rolling Stone story that rocked the U-Va. campus and shocked the nation.

A Charlottesville Police investigation later determined that no one named Haven Monahan had ever attended U-Va., and extensive efforts to find the person were not successful. Photographs that were texted to Duffin that were purported to be of Monahan were actually pictures depicting one of Jackie’s high school classmates in Northern Virginia. That man, now a student at a university in another state, confirmed to The Post that the photographs were of him.

devilhawk

Sounds more and more like Jackie and the reporter that enabled her need to go to jail.

Is this the first time that we've heard of this catfishing info? This suggests that it was a premeditated false rape scheme.

kirblar

Sounds more and more like Jackie and the reporter that enabled her need to go to jail.

Is this the first time that we've heard of this catfishing info? This suggests that it was a premeditated false rape scheme.
"Jackie" sounds like a compulsive liar.

SURGEdude

So what happened to Jackie?

Nothing. We don't even know exactly who she is and perhaps never will. Her identity was promised to be withheld because the author wanted to protect a person who she believed to be a victim of rape. The writer can't just decide not to honor that pledge even with the revelation that it wasn't true.

Jackie's abuse of a well intentioned system designed to protect actual victims is actually one of the most troubling take-aways from the situation. If for no other reason than that it provides ammo to people who want to make it harder to speak out about rape. MRA's point to shit like this and say the problem doesn't exist and people shouldn't be able to accuse without revealing their identity.

What Jackie did is infuriating on so many levels.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Nothing. We don't even know exactly who she is and perhaps never will. Her identity was promised to be withheld because the author wanted to protect a person who she believed to be a victim of rape. The writer can't just decide not to honor that pledge even with the revelation that it wasn't true.

Jackie's abuse of a well intentioned system designed to protect actual victims is actually one of the most troubling take-aways from the situation. If for no other reason than that it provides ammo to people who want to make it harder to speak out about rape. MRA's point to shit like this and say the problem doesn't exist and people shouldn't be able to accuse without revealing their identity.

What Jackie did is infuriating on so many levels.

Indeed. Between this and Duke Lacrosse; it will absolutely kill public trust in these types of stories.

Note; she didn't accuse the guy she wanted to date of rape - she made up the rape in order to get the sympathy of that guy.

TheFatOne

What chaps my ass is this quote right here “This young woman was very good at telling this story,” Sexton said. “Dean Eramo believed her. . . .Yet we are the ones being tried, in a sense, for having believed her.” It's your fucking job to get to the truth of the matter. You failed at the very basics of journalism, and somehow are trying to paint yourselves as victims. Fuck off with that bullshit, and I hope they get absolutely crushed in damages. Rolling Stones does not deserve to exist after publishing that story.

Rolling Stone caused Cream to disband. They belong in hell for that alone

Edit: on topic, case is very interesting in that it will most likely as stated above be brought up to dismiss rape accusations. I wonder how this will be handled from here

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Good, fuck Rolling Stone. Have some journalistic integrity. Next time don't be so eager to get the story that you don't do your due diligence.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What chaps my ass is this quote right here “This young woman was very good at telling this story,” Sexton said. “Dean Eramo believed her. . . .Yet we are the ones being tried, in a sense, for having believed her.” It's your fucking job to get to the truth of the matter. You failed at the very basics of journalism, and somehow are trying to paint yourselves as victims. Fuck off with that bullshit, and I hope they get absolutely crushed in damages. Rolling Stones does not deserve to exist after publishing that story.

Her ass should be in jail and their ass sued to high hell. So I don't see a problem with their asses being sued to high hell.

Quixzlizx

You'd think there'd be enough horrible cases of campus rape out there to go around without going all-in on some nutcase. Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom