• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univ. of Okla. student suspended for 'lynching' hate texts

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...shmen_at_UPenn_with__lynching_.html?mobi=true

University of Pennsylvania officials said Saturday that a student from the University of Oklahoma has been suspended -- and more people may be involved -- for targeting Penn black freshmen with racist hate messages in a cell phone text-messaging app under the group name "N- Lynching."

Penn President Amy Gutmann said her counterpart at the University of Oklahoma, David Boren, had called her to report the temporary suspension of the student, who was not named. The suspension came early in an investigation by the FBI and campus police at both universities.

"Penn Police will continue to work with the FBI and University of Oklahoma Police in completing the investigation, as additional individuals may be involved," Gutmann said.

The messages came from a person or people using the name “Daddy Trump.” “Heil Trump” also was written in the messages by the group, calling itself "MudMen."

A calendar function in the GroupMe app scheduled several "N- Lynchings," including a "daily lynching" for Friday. The group also included references to "SAE." The national fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon is often referred to by that abbreviation. A second message, from someone who posted under the name GORT, said "message Heil Trump."

One posting displayed an old image of a lynching with the note "I love America."

In all, the messages named 161 people, including those who created the group and the students who were targeted.

I just... What? Why?

Why would you ever do this kind of thing to other human beings? Why is the suspension only temporary?

Just so many questions.

Lock if old.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Not even a little surprised to see there may be an SAE connection. They weren't even a legitimate/recognized frat where I went went to school and were the absolute worst stereotype of fratboy assholes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is it a public school or private? That makes a big difference because a state funded public school it's very difficult to expel someone permanently.

I don't know. I went to a state school albeit in New York and I knew kids who were expelled over some stupid shit.

HeySeuss

I don't know. I went to a state school albeit in New York and I knew kids who were expelled over some stupid shit.

Usually the cap is 8 semesters, although some schools have safety nets in place that they can set conditions of returning like being cleared by a psychologist, making sure they are properly medicated, attend certain trainings, etc. If you don't meet the conditions then you can't come back. So it may sometimes seem like expulsion, but they may not be willing do complete whatever is asked of them.

It probably does depend on the state though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Usually the cap is 8 semesters, although some schools have safety nets in place that they can set conditions of returning like being cleared by a psychologist, making sure they are properly medicated, attend certain trainings, etc. If you don't meet the conditions then you can't come back. So it may sometimes seem like expulsion, but they may not be willing do complete whatever is asked of them.

It probably does depend on the state though.

Yeah NY might just be harsher. I knew a good friend who got expelled because cops found what they thought was a coke straw in his room. Too be honest it was probably a coke straw but no actual drugs were found even after a drug dog was brought in.

Alucrid

Banned
pa sure fucking went red

The racism came in a week marred with other homophobic, anti-Semitic and anti-immigrant incidents at Penn and other schools around the region and nation. At Penn, a female student from Massachusetts reported being called an anti-gay slur and another student reported patrons at a campus bar screaming "build that wall" -- a reference to GOP candidate Donald Trump's promise to wall out Mexican immigrants -- early Wednesday when it became evident that Trump had won the election.

First one I've seen that has screenshots.

CxAaoMaWIAEAH_j.jpg:large
CxAUWuyUAAAHAJY.jpg
CxAUWugVIAQC7S7.jpg
CxAUWunUkAAsCL3.jpg

Fucking subhuman pieces of shit. Hope they get slammed hard by the FBI investigation.

Temporary suspension? Fuck that, they should be expelled.

Suspension? Expulsions? Ha, they should be in court and hopefully jail. Now admittedly I'm speaking from emotion there rather than any legal knowledge, but this should be nipped in the bud right now.

If a suspension or expulsion is all you get, that potentially means there's no punishment at all for anyone doing this that isn't at a university, and I just hope that isn't right

Crayon

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

It's like the unchecked online harassment is bleeding into reality. This is really bad.

Suspension? Expulsions? Ha, they should be in court and hopefully jail. Now admittedly I'm speaking from emotion there rather than any legal knowledge, but this should be nipped in the bud right now.

If a suspension or expulsion is all you get, that potentially means there's no punishment at all for anyone doing this that isn't at a university, and I just hope that isn't right

Expulsion? They should be part of Trump's cabinet.

Apathy

Here you go white America that keeps telling minorities "everything will be OK just relax". You gave a demagogue a soap box, he gave bigots hope and racist more credence that the ways of the past would return with white nationalism.

It is good to see a lot of students protesting and calling this shit out. Didn't know it was SAE again. Might be time for some of these chapters to be shut down at certain universities since there's a history now of this kind of behavior from this fraternity. Hope the people involved are expelled and put on their permanent records.

Dram

Is it okay to call these people racists or will that hurt their feelings and cause them to vote Republican again next election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom