• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Thrustmaster TMX is a force-feedback wheel. I have it. It is not the best one out there, but it is a good entry level force feedback wheel for those on a budget.
Yeah I was meaning discount the first option as it isnt force feedback, the second one I have no experience with but the reviews indicate that it isn't the most solid wheel. It's one of those things though where the next step up is always tempting you, but all of a sudden you find that you started looking at a $150 wheel and you go up a step and then another step and all of a sudden you have a $500 set-up in your cart and you are worried that if you just went up $50 more you would have the perfect wheel.

clarky

Gold Member
Update is quite meh. Fixes a few little things but nothing major (as to be expected).

Now, when you go to paint a car and select just simple "black," it's actually black and not grey.

But DLSS setting reverting to AMD FSR is still apparent. Zero stealth graphics or performance improvements.
Complete opposite for me. Runs much smoother, especially in multiplayer. Zero crashes, fair less glitching. How the game should have launched imo.

Edit: I stand corrected after a decent couple of hours the game has decided to run like shit again for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Some screens from the new tracks, it looks really good.
Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-21-17.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-22-52-55.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-20-52-38.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-21-08-26.jpg

Forza-Motorsport-14-11-2023-20-58-03.jpg

GinSama

I would go for Logitech G923, is the best first wheel for a sim racer. I would not go for Hori my personal opinion,
Those pedals feel like plastic compared to the g923....

I start on PS5 with a g25 that is the ps/PC version of g923 and it was really good to start with. Great price for entry point, my next one it will be Thrustmaster T-GT 2.

I would say to keep and eye on Logitech or Thrustmaster models they have great medium/premium range options,

G923 it will good for you.

The rain race in super sedans cup where it didn't saved my progress now saved my progress in builders cup ,
I still feel like they should give a big ass apology for this fuck up in the mail and with some credits

xrnzaaas

The rain race in super sedans cup where it didn't saved my progress now saved my progress in builders cup ,
I still feel like they should give a big ass apology for this fuck up in the mail and with some credits
Yep definitely, they handed out cars & credits in the past for their fuckups. I even got several hundred mil in FM7 when I got the bug that removed all of the cars from my garage (had to contact customer support though).

RT reflections are higher quality now and they have less noise. And they fixed some of the buggy missing logos on some cars.

I haven't seen any changes, at least on PC. I'll dive into the XML files to see if they actually updated any values.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Multiplayer seems a lot more stable, only had one crash to desktop during about a 4 hour session. Before the update i was having to manually go to the desktop and quit the game due to broke loading screens every couple of races. The loading/waiting times also seem a lot less now too (waiting for cars, starting race etc.). Stills some work to do but its a step in the right direction.

GinSama

Anyone that might Do a race online during the weekend?

Just wandering how many people around here might play online.

Here you go

Definitely looks a better. I'm assuming these are from PC?

Here's my comparison. I just checked the game, so this is same settings pre- and post-patch (1440p, 100% resolution scaling, DLAA, RT Car Reflections + ambient occlusion).

Still wish T10 had opted for MSAA, the blurry edges of certain surfaces when the DOF interacts looks terrible, especially compared to past Forzas.

AcbkOt7.png

Chukhopops

They really did a full 180 on the penalty system, it’s almost too lenient now.

I like it more this way, it also helps that the MP population is “maturing” compared to immediately after launch.

Darsxx82

In XSX cutscenes and rolling start now work at 60fps (previously at 30fps). And it could be placebo but I think the lighting has been tweaked in some way.

Turk1993

New track looks great, bump up in graphics on PC is massive IMO and the game looks spectacular. They should bump it even more and offer epic preset or something. I can run it with no sweat at 6k, max settings, damnit!

VCJLkCN.jpg

MJzUl4G.jpg
Don't forget that they are also gonna add RTGI to this.

clarky

Gold Member
New track looks great, bump up in graphics on PC is massive IMO and the game looks spectacular. They should bump it even more and offer epic preset or something. I can run it with no sweat at 6k, max settings, damnit!

VCJLkCN.jpg

MJzUl4G.jpg
My problem is the multiplayer. I have no issues running this at max settings 4k, 80 fps+ in single player but get awful performance and drops from 60 to 50 ish on some tracks for no reason at all.

When it works though its brilliant. Shit's infuriating. Hopefully we get another patch before christmas.

Turk1993

My problem is the multiplayer. I have no issues running this at max settings 4k, 80 fps+ in single player but get awful performance and drops from 60 to 50 ish on some tracks for no reason at all.

When it works though its brilliant. Shit's infuriating. Hopefully we get another patch before christmas.
We are getting another big update with a new track next month.

xrnzaaas

This game feels surprisingly good on controller.. can't really say why that is tho
I always liked controller support in Forza games, however I don't think it's perfect this time around. There should be more dead zone above certain speed (like 250 or 300kph+), because it can be very twitchy. And obviously you're not going to make serious turns at those speeds.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Struggling with performance on PC with this one.
Its running at 60-85fps but its so stuttery, its like mirco stuttering all the time.

Anyone using the optimised settings from DF? may have to jump to those.

When everything hits just right, the game looks fantastic. But there's a lot of materials inconsistency, I don't get it. Like the inside of wheels will look terrible a lot of the time, like they're not getting the same properties as the wheel face. Hopefully, stuff like this slowly gets rememedied.

Also...photo mode needs a BIG update. It's been the same since Forza 4. No scapes, can't take photos in many of the different environments, can't place choose and place multiple cars. Like c'mon...

l2IgGHH.jpg
HSLRz3K.jpg
I2EuphJ.png

BigLee74

The more I play this, the more I appreciate the graphical updates over FM7.

The subtle changes caused by dynamic time of day and weather can often be appreciated lap by lap. I started a race in overcast conditions today, the clouds slowly disappeared leaving sections of the track being bathed in sunlight whilst others still were still murky and in shadow - it just looked and felt fantastic as you raced in and out of these sections of the track.

Just stay away from photo mode, and all is good!

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Here is a TCR Subaru Levorg tune for anyone interested. The Levorg isn't ever going to be the fastest in class but it's no where near as slow as the PI suggests it is and it has a hidden bonus, being rear wheel drive makes it much better on tyres than the other cars. You can usually soft/medium in most tracks instead of med/med or soft/hard.

Front tyres: 2.1 bar
Rear tyres: 2.1 bar
Gearing: set for a top speed ~230-240kmh, first gear ~80kmh for good launches
Camber F: -1.5
Camber R: -1.1
Toe F&R : 0.0
Caster: 5.8
Anti Roll F: 20.4
Anti Roll R: 19.6
Springs F: 114.5KG
Springs R: 114.5KG
Ride height F&R: lowest
Damping bump F&R: 4.3
Damping Rebound F&R: 6.0
Roll centre Front: -15
Roll centre rear: -10
Anti Dive: 19.2
Anti Squat: 10
Aero front: max
Aero Rear: 100kg
Brake bias: 48%
Pressure upto you, I run 140%
Differential Accel: 60%
Differential Decel: 30%

Senua

Struggling with performance on PC with this one.
Its running at 60-85fps but its so stuttery, its like mirco stuttering all the time.

Anyone using the optimised settings from DF? may have to jump to those.
Yea I get micro stutter on a 3800x, it's way worse with RT on but even without there is mild stutter i cannot get rid of. Looking to upgrade to 5800X3D very soon so hopefully that'll make the difference

Yea I get micro stutter on a 3800x, it's way worse with RT on but even without there is mild stutter i cannot get rid of. Looking to upgrade to 5800X3D very soon so hopefully that'll make the difference

Is your framerate setting in-game set to the one of the unlocked options? If so, change it to one of the v-sync options. Alex at DF noted this in his overview, you get stuttering running it unlocked (yet another bug in this game).

I've got a 5800X3D and experience some microstutter here and there if I set the framerate to unlocked. Super annoying.

Senua

Is your framerate setting in-game set to the one of the unlocked options? If so, change it to one of the v-sync options. Alex at DF noted this in his overview, you get stuttering running it unlocked (yet another bug in this game).

I've got a 5800X3D and experience some microstutter here and there if I set the framerate to unlocked. Super annoying.
It is unlocked! silly me expecting settings to work as intended, i'll test it when home. thanks

SimTourist

The more I play this, the more I appreciate the graphical updates over FM7.

The subtle changes caused by dynamic time of day and weather can often be appreciated lap by lap. I started a race in overcast conditions today, the clouds slowly disappeared leaving sections of the track being bathed in sunlight whilst others still were still murky and in shadow - it just looked and felt fantastic as you raced in and out of these sections of the track.

Just stay away from photo mode, and all is good!
FM7 was pretty ugly tbh, just a weird mix of strange colours, crappy baked lighting, cheap bloom and godrays up the ass, and just in general it looked really poor. It speaks volumes that GT7 can go toe to toe with FM8 despite being a minor upgrade over GT Sport and being held back by PS4.

clarky

Gold Member
Holy shit, game is currently rated as Mostly Negative (38%) on Steam. How do they recover from that?
They don't, and it's deserved imo. Another 6-12 months in the oven and this could have been a system/gamepass seller.

Off topic but my 2 cents:

This is one of the reasons Xbox is doing so poorly. Redfall, Halo and this (on PC at least ) are/were broken and/or severely lacking in content for the majority of customers and it does nothing but hurt the brand in the long run.

These are supposed to be tentpole first party releases, with the resources that MS has they should be producing and games experiences polished to within an inch of their lives, that nobody else can afford to make. Instead we get this half baked, often broken bollocks, release it and fix it later ethos.

I don't often say this but whoever greenlights this shit really does need removing from Xbox brand.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They don't, and it's deserved imo. Another 6-12 months in the oven and this could have been a system/gamepass seller.

Off topic but my 2 cents:

This is one of the reasons Xbox is doing so poorly. Redfall, Halo and this (on PC at least ) are/were broken and/or severely lacking in content for the majority of customers and it does nothing but hurt the brand in the long run.

These are supposed to be tentpole first party releases, with the resources that MS has they should be producing and games experiences polished to within an inch of their lives, that nobody else can afford to make. Instead we get this half baked, often broken bollocks, release it and fix it later ethos.

I don't often say this but whoever greenlights this shit really does need removing from Xbox brand.

Fully agree but at the same time... I can't wait to do a race or 2 or 5 tonight. Driving on a controller feels so good.

What the game needs is soul. I'm not sure if that's something that can be just 'patched in' with future updates...

clarky

Gold Member
Fully agree but at the same time... I can't wait to do a race or 2 or 5 tonight. Driving on a controller feels so good.

What the game needs is soul. I'm not sure if that's something that can be just 'patched in' with future updates...
That's what's frustrating. When it works, its a great race. Some tracks (in muliplayer) work flawlessly for me like Le mans for example, but Nuremburg runs like shit. Sometimes, other times its fine. Then you check the settings and the dlss (also broken) has decided to turn itself off. Big drops to 50fps or so from 60 when my GPU is at 60% utilization it makes no sense.

The last patch stopped the constant crashes but this is at least another couple of big patches away from being in an acceptable state in my eyes.

i think the game has that soul you mention, its just buried deep under a shit ton of technical issues. Not to mention the single player is a complete bust.

Disappointing stuff to be honest.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's what's frustrating. When it works, its a great race. Some tracks (in muliplayer) work flawlessly for me like Le mans for example, but Nuremburg runs like shit. Sometimes, other times its fine. Then you check the settings and the dlss (also broken) has decided to turn itself off. Big drops to 50fps or so from 60 when my GPU is at 60% utilization it makes no sense.

The last patch stopped the constant crashes but this is at least another couple of big patches away from being in an acceptable state in my eyes.

i think the game has that soul you mention, its just buried deep under a shit ton of technical issues. Not to mention the single player is a complete bust.

Disappointing stuff to be honest.

Can't speak for MP as I'm playing SP exclusively but yeah I'm getting flawless performance.

This is at 150% resolution, so 6k and max settings:

a4cSV0g.png

And this is at native 4k with DLAA (not DLSS) and max settings:

BsoY9xZ.png

Single player needs a new campaign structure. I still play Motorsport 4 on 360 from time to time and that game just screams car love.

clarky

Gold Member
Can't speak for MP as I'm playing SP exclusively but yeah I'm getting flawless performance.

This is at 150% resolution, so 6k and max settings:

a4cSV0g.png

And this is at native 4k with DLAA (not DLSS) and max settings:

BsoY9xZ.png

Single player needs a new campaign structure. I still play Motorsport 4 on 360 from time to time and that game just screams car love.
I'm on a mobile 4090 (at work just now) and get about 75 on the bench mark. The single player portion of the game runs great as far as i remember. The multiplayer is where the game really shines and why its so frustrating that it runs like shit.

Close to giving up on to TBH and coming back in 6 months. Too many games on the go just now to be wrestling with performance on this.

skyfinch

Probably looking too much into this but it looks like Dan Greenwalt, former Turn 10 creative director is now "Studio Head". He was creative director for all the Forza games, minus the current one....you know, the one that isn't so good. So he went from Creative Director to GM, now Studio Head. So hopefully with this role, he can turn things around.

• Studio Head​

Oct 2023 - Present 2 months
    Redmond, Washington, United States
    Studio Head at Turn 10 Studios
  • General Manager​

Oct 2021 - Oct 2023 2 years 1 month
    General Manager of Forza Motorsport at Turn 10 Studios.

Forza Motorsport (2023)
  • Franchise Creative Director​

May 2012 - Oct 2021 9 years 6 months
    Forza franchise Creative Director at Turn 10 Studios

Don't know if it really means much, he's going into his former boss Alan Hartman's role. They both worked at T10/MSFT for years and years, so the franchise is the way it is because of their vision.

Top Bottom