• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

Fancy spending so many years developing this game to release it with so many bugs and then come out saying we hear the feedback, and we are committed to fixing the game! Why not spend the 6 years polishing the SHIT out of the game instead of releasing a game that appears to be 85-90% complete???
90 percent complete games don't get stuck on upgrades and make u loose Ur progress
I don't know wtf were they doing for 6 years the bugs in this game are of the indie games that have like 4 , 5 developers

MacReady13

90 percent complete games don't get stuck on upgrades and make u loose Ur progress
I don't know wtf were they doing for 6 years the bugs in this game are of the indie games that have like 4 , 5 developers
Maybe the need to get it out for this year onto game pass (the BEST deal in gaming) doesn't help their cause...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
:messenger_smiling_hearts:

forzamotorsport-2023_fuddp.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Patch is also up on Steam. 700 something MB, downloading now and jumping right into racing action.

Patch notes:

We're working to improve your Forza Motorsport experience. Below you will find a summary of items fixed or improved upon in Update 1.0.

For full release notes including Xbox changes see: https://aka.ms/FMUpdate1
Stability [All Platforms]
  • General stability improvements with fixes for various crash scenarios.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in the Builders Cup Career Mode after upgrading a car and entering Open Practice in the Fox Body Challenge race on Watkins Glen.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on Grand Oak Club Circuit during a cinematic when entering Open Practice for the third race of the Builders Cup Intro Series.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering a Free Play race from the My Cars menu if there were too many cars with custom thumbnail images.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur upon loading into a Free Play race.

Progression [All Platforms]
  • Adjusted car part unlock levels to increase player upgrade options at lower car levels. Most car parts should now be unlocked within a single Builders Cup series.
  • Improvements to ensure Car Affinity manufacturer reward discounts are unlocked when intended – once a player reaches Car Level 50 in a car from the respective brand.

Multiplayer [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an exploit in Featured Multiplayer where in specific scenarios, a player could post impossible lap times onto the Qualifying leaderboard by entering Qualifying directly from a Practice session.
  • Resolved an issue where at times incorrect Safety Rating and Driver Skill Ratings were used for matchmaking.
  • Fixed an issue where control of the car wouldn’t be handed back to the player upon exiting the pits in Featured Multiplayer and beginning a solo race in Free Play.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from downloading and saving another player’s livery while in a Private Multiplayer pre-race.

Livery Editor [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue on the 2016 Ford #66 Ford Racing GT Le Mans while moving a decal around the “Top” or “Hood” of the vehicle while in the Livery Editor which caused decals to appear reflected and offset on the other side of the car.
  • Fixed an issue on the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS where stripe decals would not correctly line-up between the hood, roof and wing.
  • Fixed a crash encountered in Apply Decals when importing a Layer Group from a previous Forza game and then attempting to apply a Vinyl Shape.

Tracks [All Platforms]
  • Updated trackside flag textures on Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
  • Fixed an issue on Le Mans track layouts where a specific curb would stop LMP cars as if they were colliding with an invisible wall.

Physics [All Platforms]
  • Improved wet tire wear rates in conditions where track wetness levels are moderate. Wet tires will still wear quickly in dry or semi-dry conditions.
  • Tuning Setup [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from downloading another player’s custom Tuning Setup while browsing a Leaderboard.

Accessibility [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue where custom key binds for a controller or keyboard would not be saved between game sessions.

Accessibility [Steam Only]
  • Fixed an issue where the speech-to-text window did not appear when speech-to-text or text-to-speech would be enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where the speech-to-text or text-to-speech window would persist on-screen for an indefinite duration until the game was relaunched.

Replay [All Platforms]
  • Improved the visuals of the replay camera shown for the last segment of VIR Grand West.

Cars [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue with the 1956 Jaguar D-Type where cockpit view would appear too low and clip through the driver’s collar.
  • Fixed an issue with the Alfa Romeo Giuletta Quadrifoglio Verde where the front of the car disappeared after selecting a front bumper visual upgrade.
  • Fixed an issue where the 2014 Volkswagen Golf R side skirts could not be seen after installing a bodykit.
  • Fixed an issue with the 1977 Holden Torana where both Street and Sport Roll Cages would be visibly present on the car after installing a Race Roll Cage.
  • Removed visible graining on the 2021 Lexus LC 500 Race Roll Cage texture.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2004 Porsche 911 GT3, 1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, 2018 Renault Megane R.S. and 2012 MINI John Cooper Works GP where higher-level Roll Cage would be visible on lower-level upgrades.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2021 BMW M3 where the RPM displayed on the digital dash would be desynced with the RPM shown on the Forza UI HUD.
  • Fixed ambient occlusion errors on both the exterior and interior views in the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V and fixed a separate issue of damage geometry clipping when viewing the car from a distance.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2014 Lamborghini Huracan where no light is cast from the car gauge and dashboard cluster, as well as the headlights, taillights and brake lights. We’ve also fixed ambient occlusion errors on this vehicle.
  • Updated the mirror texture of the 2018 SUBARU #1 Adrian Flux SUBARU Racing Levorg GT from a repeating pattern to its intended semi-gloss metallic silver texture.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2020 Chevrolet C8 Corvette Stingray where using the Remove Wing Upgrade left the Stock Wing visible on the car.
  • Fixed an odd behavior scenario that would occur for players who own the Forza Motorsport Premium Edition or Premium Add-Ons Bundle on both Xbox and Steam and use the same Gamertag on both versions where duplicated DLC cars would result in an error message prompting the player to repurchase the associated DLC.
  • Fixed an exploit where DLC car duplicates purchased from the Showroom could be used on another account or platform where the DLC has not been purchased.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Pardon my average driving line adherence but I love the rain races, Driveclub would be proud.

-

The weather effects in general are nice as they change dynamically. Earlier, had a race where it was extremely foggy, Silent-Hill esque, in the practice and first couple of laps of the race, but by the final half of the race, the fog let away and the weather became bright and sunny.

So good.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Fancy spending so many years developing this game to release it with so many bugs and then come out saying we hear the feedback, and we are committed to fixing the game! Why not spend the 6 years polishing the SHIT out of the game instead of releasing a game that appears to be 85-90% complete???
Who ever greenlights this shit for release (and Redfall) needs firing.

Last edited:

skyfinch

lol. After the update, game booted me when trying to add a livery. Also ugly graphical glitches that makes roads and reflections all messy.

Love the progression change because tire compound unlocks at level 3 now instead of 11. Makes progressing through the cups a lot easier since you start over with every new car.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Have they fixed how I’ve gone from level 11 to something like level 314 just from one race?

clarky

Gold Member
Have they fixed how I’ve gone from level 11 to something like level 314 just from one race?
No im Still in the 300's

Mirrors seem much better after the update, but now i strugle to finish an online race due to crashing to desktop.

Offline seems fine.

CeeJay

No im Still in the 300's

Mirrors seem much better after the update, but now i strugle to finish an online race due to crashing to desktop.

Offline seems fine.
ah i did wonder why so many people in online races were in the 300s haha I thought they were just playing constantly since it was released!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game has a lot of problems... but it's all forgotten once you're driving on the track. It feels so good.

Also, I just upgraded my CPU and few other things. I have to say, it's nice to have 90-100 FPS with everything set to max at 4k.
What cpu did you have before? What did you upgrade to?

SlimySnake

Patch is also up on Steam. 700 something MB, downloading now and jumping right into racing action.

Patch notes:

We're working to improve your Forza Motorsport experience. Below you will find a summary of items fixed or improved upon in Update 1.0.

For full release notes including Xbox changes see: https://aka.ms/FMUpdate1
Stability [All Platforms]
  • General stability improvements with fixes for various crash scenarios.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in the Builders Cup Career Mode after upgrading a car and entering Open Practice in the Fox Body Challenge race on Watkins Glen.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur on Grand Oak Club Circuit during a cinematic when entering Open Practice for the third race of the Builders Cup Intro Series.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering a Free Play race from the My Cars menu if there were too many cars with custom thumbnail images.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur upon loading into a Free Play race.

Progression [All Platforms]
  • Adjusted car part unlock levels to increase player upgrade options at lower car levels. Most car parts should now be unlocked within a single Builders Cup series.
  • Improvements to ensure Car Affinity manufacturer reward discounts are unlocked when intended – once a player reaches Car Level 50 in a car from the respective brand.

Multiplayer [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an exploit in Featured Multiplayer where in specific scenarios, a player could post impossible lap times onto the Qualifying leaderboard by entering Qualifying directly from a Practice session.
  • Resolved an issue where at times incorrect Safety Rating and Driver Skill Ratings were used for matchmaking.
  • Fixed an issue where control of the car wouldn’t be handed back to the player upon exiting the pits in Featured Multiplayer and beginning a solo race in Free Play.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from downloading and saving another player’s livery while in a Private Multiplayer pre-race.

Livery Editor [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue on the 2016 Ford #66 Ford Racing GT Le Mans while moving a decal around the “Top” or “Hood” of the vehicle while in the Livery Editor which caused decals to appear reflected and offset on the other side of the car.
  • Fixed an issue on the 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS where stripe decals would not correctly line-up between the hood, roof and wing.
  • Fixed a crash encountered in Apply Decals when importing a Layer Group from a previous Forza game and then attempting to apply a Vinyl Shape.

Tracks [All Platforms]
  • Updated trackside flag textures on Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
  • Fixed an issue on Le Mans track layouts where a specific curb would stop LMP cars as if they were colliding with an invisible wall.

Physics [All Platforms]
  • Improved wet tire wear rates in conditions where track wetness levels are moderate. Wet tires will still wear quickly in dry or semi-dry conditions.
  • Tuning Setup [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from downloading another player’s custom Tuning Setup while browsing a Leaderboard.

Accessibility [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue where custom key binds for a controller or keyboard would not be saved between game sessions.

Accessibility [Steam Only]
  • Fixed an issue where the speech-to-text window did not appear when speech-to-text or text-to-speech would be enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where the speech-to-text or text-to-speech window would persist on-screen for an indefinite duration until the game was relaunched.

Replay [All Platforms]
  • Improved the visuals of the replay camera shown for the last segment of VIR Grand West.

Cars [All Platforms]
  • Fixed an issue with the 1956 Jaguar D-Type where cockpit view would appear too low and clip through the driver’s collar.
  • Fixed an issue with the Alfa Romeo Giuletta Quadrifoglio Verde where the front of the car disappeared after selecting a front bumper visual upgrade.
  • Fixed an issue where the 2014 Volkswagen Golf R side skirts could not be seen after installing a bodykit.
  • Fixed an issue with the 1977 Holden Torana where both Street and Sport Roll Cages would be visibly present on the car after installing a Race Roll Cage.
  • Removed visible graining on the 2021 Lexus LC 500 Race Roll Cage texture.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2004 Porsche 911 GT3, 1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, 2018 Renault Megane R.S. and 2012 MINI John Cooper Works GP where higher-level Roll Cage would be visible on lower-level upgrades.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2021 BMW M3 where the RPM displayed on the digital dash would be desynced with the RPM shown on the Forza UI HUD.
  • Fixed ambient occlusion errors on both the exterior and interior views in the 2016 Cadillac ATS-V and fixed a separate issue of damage geometry clipping when viewing the car from a distance.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2014 Lamborghini Huracan where no light is cast from the car gauge and dashboard cluster, as well as the headlights, taillights and brake lights. We’ve also fixed ambient occlusion errors on this vehicle.
  • Updated the mirror texture of the 2018 SUBARU #1 Adrian Flux SUBARU Racing Levorg GT from a repeating pattern to its intended semi-gloss metallic silver texture.
  • Fixed an issue with the 2020 Chevrolet C8 Corvette Stingray where using the Remove Wing Upgrade left the Stock Wing visible on the car.
  • Fixed an odd behavior scenario that would occur for players who own the Forza Motorsport Premium Edition or Premium Add-Ons Bundle on both Xbox and Steam and use the same Gamertag on both versions where duplicated DLC cars would result in an error message prompting the player to repurchase the associated DLC.
  • Fixed an exploit where DLC car duplicates purchased from the Showroom could be used on another account or platform where the DLC has not been purchased.
No fix for the insanely slow shader building and rebuilding every time you boot up. No fix for insanely long load times either.

I gotta say I’m not a fan of these Microsoft games shipping in this condition. I bought starfield and will go back to it when they fix it but i subbed to gamepass for this and already a week has passed without them fixing these massive bugs.

AJUMP23

Is there a way to skip practice laps?

And I don't understand why if I complete practice and exit then I have to redo the practice before I can race. There should be save every time you see a menu.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No fix for the insanely slow shader building and rebuilding every time you boot up. No fix for insanely long load times either.

I gotta say I’m not a fan of these Microsoft games shipping in this condition. I bought starfield and will go back to it when they fix it but i subbed to gamepass for this and already a week has passed without them fixing these massive bugs.

Man, I've upgraded from an aging i7 8700K that was bottlenecking the shit out of my 4090 to Ryzen 7 7800X3D and it feels so good.

I agree, it sucks that you need NASA level computer to run Microsoft games at respectable framerates. Only now I can achieve locked 60FPS everywhere in Starfield at 4k, max settings and no reconstruction.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

And I don't understand why if I complete practice and exit then I have to redo the practice before I can race. There should be save every time you see a menu.

Yes, you can skip it but it's hidden (by design). As soon as you start driving practice laps, hist start/pause then exit and you'll find 'skip practice' buried there.

Senua

Gold Member

Exit>Skip practice.

They should've just had qualifying. Don't qualify? Start last. That's the it's always been done because it makes sense. The online has this but for whatever reason they went this practice route and just pick where you start in single player, it's weird as hell but hey T10 always make baffling decisions

SlimySnake

Man, I've upgraded from an aging i7 8700K that was bottlenecking the shit out of my 4090 to Ryzen 7 7800X3D and it feels so good.

I agree, it sucks that you need NASA level computer to run Microsoft games at respectable framerates. Only now I can achieve locked 60FPS everywhere in Starfield at 4k, max settings and no reconstruction.
lol i had an 8700k paired up with my 2080 and it was bottlenecking THAT gpu in cyberpunk lol. 7800x3d is a fantastic CPU. congrats!

I can actually run this at 4k 60 fps with DLAA with RT Off. Starfield runs at 60 fps 4k dlss quality. My issue with these games is the bugs and lack of optimization's and features at launch. Gmae thinks i have a fucking AMD GPU and disables DLAA showing me the FSR menu instead. its so dumb. I am sitting here holding my dick for a minute and a half at times while it loads a track because it thinks i have this installed on my HDD instead of my 7.5 GBps ssd paired with a 5.0 ghz CPU. Starfield shipped without dlss, fov, hdr, and other features i had to use nexus mods to get installed. can we at least ship these games in a complete state?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
ah i did wonder why so many people in online races were in the 300s haha I thought they were just playing constantly since it was released!
Some probably legit are lol.

I think I've done 2 races (one online and one single player) and I'm somewhere in the 300's

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
lol i had an 8700k paired up with my 2080 and it was bottlenecking THAT gpu in cyberpunk lol. 7800x3d is a fantastic CPU. congrats!

I can actually run this at 4k 60 fps with DLAA with RT Off. Starfield runs at 60 fps 4k dlss quality. My issue with these games is the bugs and lack of optimization's and features at launch. Gmae thinks i have a fucking AMD GPU and disables DLAA showing me the FSR menu instead. its so dumb. I am sitting here holding my dick for a minute and a half at times while it loads a track because it thinks i have this installed on my HDD instead of my 7.5 GBps ssd paired with a 5.0 ghz CPU. Starfield shipped without dlss, fov, hdr, and other features i had to use nexus mods to get installed. can we at least ship these games in a complete state?

Yeah, lack of basic PC features is even more annoying than piss-poor optimization. Fallout 76 had a FOV slider so you can say that they cut features between their games (same with stupid little things like eat button - that also was in 76).

And now they added FOV but it's still worse than what you can do by editing .ini file. You can't set separate values for far and close 3rd person camera. You can't change FOV for 3rd person view of your ship in space. It's so lazy.

SlimySnake

Yea I get this too it's really annoying. My loading times are quick though, like 5-10 seconds?
yeah, its a bug. Alex said that shader recompilation takes like 20-30 seconds for him, so its not supposed to be 10 minutes. Clearly the game is bugged and thinks im using AMD GPUs and have this installed on HDDs. I actually redownloaded the whole game and in a different folder just to be sure but the same bugs remain. It just doesnt like my hardware configuration.

Senua

Gold Member
yeah, its a bug. Alex said that shader recompilation takes like 20-30 seconds for him, so its not supposed to be 10 minutes. Clearly the game is bugged and thinks im using AMD GPUs and have this installed on HDDs. I actually redownloaded the whole game and in a different folder just to be sure but the same bugs remain. It just doesnt like my hardware configuration.
I can imagine that being infuriating, shit like that makes me refund lol

SlimySnake

I can imagine that being infuriating, shit like that makes me refund lol
i cant refund gamepass lol which makes it even more infruriating.

but i love the game so i sit through 10 minutes of shader rebuilding everyday. sometimes twice a day. i even like the car xp system because it encourages you to take practice laps and rewards you for learning the map, racing cleanly, and beating your own score. really great to see them open up even more car parts early on in the events with the latest patch. I turned my 1980s mercedes into a 600 PI monster by the 3rd or 4th race of the event and sent myself flying in the air on the last corner of maple valley. It was hysterical.

One thing I will say about Microsoft first party games is that they support dolby atmos in almost every game ive played. You would think a racing game wouldnt really benefit from sound bouncing from the ceiling, but during thunderstorms the sound of the thunder just surrounds my room bouncing off my ceiling. It literally feels like im in a storm. going under bridges has a fantastic reverb effect which again comes from above instead of from the sides like it does in other surround sound games. Atmos is the real deal.

Last edited:
Played a bit more today, have to say that I really love the improved driving model--it is a huge improvement. You get a lot more feedback from the tires, so it's more clear when you're breaking traction. For comparison, I fired up FM7 and played a couple of races and there's a lot less feedback...cars are much more "on rails," even with TCS/ABS off and Simulation steering on.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I will time it tonight as I swear it feels like a couple of seconds for me.

djjinx2

Loving the Multiplayer but not the bumper cars!

Races are exciting even if near the back, the feel of the cars with the added sped up tyre wear is genius. Added to the sound reverb and graphics, such an "alive" racer if you get my drift??

jayj

Banned
Played a bit more today, have to say that I really love the improved driving model--it is a huge improvement. You get a lot more feedback from the tires, so it's more clear when you're breaking traction. For comparison, I fired up FM7 and played a couple of races and there's a lot less feedback...cars are much more "on rails," even with TCS/ABS off and Simulation steering on.
I feel like the simulation setting is centered entirely around wheel users this time. It used to feel perfect with a controller in past Forza games, but when I used it in this it simply felt too touchy and hard to control.

I feel like the simulation setting is centered entirely around wheel users this time. It used to feel perfect with a controller in past Forza games, but when I used it in this it simply felt too touchy and hard to control.

It's definitely touchier than in the past, but it's not excessive to me. I prefer it, Normal steering always feels so numb to me.

djjinx2

I'm on controller and just came 3rd twice in a row online. Try to be smoother in and out of corners and don't brake to late. Doesn't feel touchy at all to me?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Probably talked about but I don't understand the AI driving

If one or two take the lead kind of early they are gone and I have no shot of catching them but racing the same group if I start up close to the front and get ahead of them they stand no shot of catching me and I am gone

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground

GHG

Probably talked about but I don't understand the AI driving

If one or two take the lead kind of early they are gone and I have no shot of catching them but racing the same group if I start up close to the front and get ahead of them they stand no shot of catching me and I am gone

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground

The Forza AI has always been like this. If you let the front 2 go past a certain point in the race then they are gone, but if you can get ahead of them ASAP then they won't lap at anywhere near the kind of pace that they would if they were in the lead.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Forza AI has always been like this. If you let the front 2 go past a certain point in the race then they are gone, but if you can get ahead of them ASAP then they won't lap at anywhere near the kind of pace that they would if they were in the lead.
I guess getting old is killing my memory as I don't recall FM7 doing that to me

Oh and built from the ground up yadda yadda

Top Bottom