• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

Orbital2060

fmhubcapvxi4h.png

The blurred hubcap; looks like the same bug that DF pointed out. Maybe its related to certain cars. This is the mazda for the featured online race.

DR3AM

The constant loading is pretty annoying. Why can’t I just restart a race or go straight to a race without the practice sessions? The game is constantly loading into unnecessary menus. Just let me race.

nikos

Wall of text incoming.

Had the most satisfying win today. Qualified P1 and was in 5th place by the end of the first corner. This has happened a few times in this game. Maybe I'm being too cautious about getting hit in turn one but I still don't trust people in this game.

The guy who made it to first in the first corner actually rammed me in practice for seemingly no reason. He had rejoined the track on a long straight (after wrecking) and decided to defend against me by changing direction twice. When I got around him, he cut the wheel to ram me.

There was some battling as the race progressed but I decided to stay patient. I knew the other guys were on medium compound tires and that they'd start losing it towards the end of the race. The guy who rammed me was on hard though, as was I.

By the second to last lap, I was still in fourth with the guy who rammed me in second place. He ended up either getting taken out by third place or eating the wall on his own. I had to enable my mic and let out the most exaggerated laugh I was capable of. He got a DNF.

I was now in third place. Guy in front of me had no grip left but was still defending. I didn't trust him so I was cautious about overtaking. He ended up in the wall anyway. Should have just let me pass because he had no tires and I was way faster but he ended up with a DNF as well.

I was now in second with first place right in front of me. This guy was really slow as well, with no tires left but was stubbornly defending. I realized halfway through the last lap that he had a 4.5 second penalty so I wasn't too eager to pass but he ended up crashing in the second to last corner anyway. Not sure where he ended up finishing.

Tried to save the replay, but it seems there's a bug with that as well.

I've had some really satisfying wins in this game, and they've had to do with a lot more than just being faster. In fact, I've been slower than half the pack in some races and still won because I chose the right tire compound, managed the tires properly and knew when to be patient or make a move. I think a lot of people in this game are going all out and suffering for it towards the end of the race.

Even though the races are short, I think all of these things still need to be taken into consideration, which makes it a very satisfying experience. I've played actual sims quite a bit and don't believe I've ever had to pit in iRacing unless I had damage, but I never did super long races. Perhaps tire and fuel degradation are accelerated Forza but it makes short races a lot more interesting.

GHG

Gold Member
I've played actual sims quite a bit and don't believe I've ever had to pit in iRacing unless I had damage, but I never did super long races. Perhaps tire and fuel degradation are accelerated Forza but it makes short races a lot more interesting.

Race the IMSA series.

Races in iracing don't tend to run with accelerated tire degradation so unless the series you're racing has a mandatory pitstop (or you're participating in an endurance event) then it won't be a factor.

Anyone have any idea how to turn off the DOF and Bloom effects in the PC Gamepass version? The last Windows store game/app I did this in was to disable CA in The Outer Worlds and for the life of me I can't remember how and search engines have become too shitty to find answers on anymore.

I'm almost certain the DOF is what's tanking my performance as any time I dip below 60fps I can see the DOF effect on-screen. The bloom I just want to cut because it's way overdone here.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sucks that they couldnt get this out before the weekend when most players do their gaming.

Just had a massive memory leak after around 2 hours of playing. Framerate got cut in half randomly. Wouldnt have been a big deal to restart if the game didnt take 10 minutes to rebuild shaders every time.

They really need to fix the loading times as well. shouldnt take 1 minute to load a track. i dont care if its a bug. fix this shit.

SimTourist

Wall of text incoming.

Had the most satisfying win today. Qualified P1 and was in 5th place by the end of the first corner. This has happened a few times in this game. Maybe I'm being too cautious about getting hit in turn one but I still don't trust people in this game.

The guy who made it to first in the first corner actually rammed me in practice for seemingly no reason. He had rejoined the track on a long straight (after wrecking) and decided to defend against me by changing direction twice. When I got around him, he cut the wheel to ram me.

There was some battling as the race progressed but I decided to stay patient. I knew the other guys were on medium compound tires and that they'd start losing it towards the end of the race. The guy who rammed me was on hard though, as was I.

By the second to last lap, I was still in fourth with the guy who rammed me in second place. He ended up either getting taken out by third place or eating the wall on his own. I had to enable my mic and let out the most exaggerated laugh I was capable of. He got a DNF.

I was now in third place. Guy in front of me had no grip left but was still defending. I didn't trust him so I was cautious about overtaking. He ended up in the wall anyway. Should have just let me pass because he had no tires and I was way faster but he ended up with a DNF as well.

I was now in second with first place right in front of me. This guy was really slow as well, with no tires left but was stubbornly defending. I realized halfway through the last lap that he had a 4.5 second penalty so I wasn't too eager to pass but he ended up crashing in the second to last corner anyway. Not sure where he ended up finishing.

Tried to save the replay, but it seems there's a bug with that as well.

I've had some really satisfying wins in this game, and they've had to do with a lot more than just being faster. In fact, I've been slower than half the pack in some races and still won because I chose the right tire compound, managed the tires properly and knew when to be patient or make a move. I think a lot of people in this game are going all out and suffering for it towards the end of the race.

Even though the races are short, I think all of these things still need to be taken into consideration, which makes it a very satisfying experience. I've played actual sims quite a bit and don't believe I've ever had to pit in iRacing unless I had damage, but I never did super long races. Perhaps tire and fuel degradation are accelerated Forza but it makes short races a lot more interesting.
I had a couple of great races yesterday too. One was on Catalunya, during the practice and qualifying the track was soaking wet, no problem, decent position for me 5th or 6th, in the intermission the game changed my tires to normal but I thought it was a mistake, almost everyone including the leaders changed to wets, so I did too. Turns out the track was almost dry, so the wet tyres started to degrade quickly, everyone rushed to the pits after 2 laps, but the few dudes on normal tires pulled ahead and so it went. Definitely a costly mistake, but I think the game should communicate better how wet the track is, currently there is no indicator.
Another one was on VIR and I seem to be able to qualify very well on this track, pulled a few pole positions here. Had a great battle with one dude for the entire race, he was ahead of me before going into the pits for a tire change and maybe I clicked through the menus a bit quicker or whatever but I got out of the pits a tiny bit ahead then had to defend for two laps up until the very last moments. Sent him a heartfelt message afterwards, my hands were sweaty and my heart was beating out of my chest.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
0.001 second winning margin.

We were side by side through turns 3,4, 5, 6 and seven. He had the lead, just, into the final corner and went defensive, I just made sure to get a good run with my lower down force setup. he squeezed me as close to the pit wall as possible without contact, had the side draft but I just had a bees dick ahead at the line.

WkEPVv0.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got around to playing it.

- Like lots of games (Forza games included), you're treated to a slew of unskippable cut scenes and canned races the first time you play. Dont bother mashing buttons or pressing start/menu buttons. You cant skip them. Although I didn't try quitting the game and rebooting seeing if that helps you go direct to the menu screens to do hat you want on the second try. I just plowed through the canned shit
- Even in the settings, if you adjust Narrator to off, you still get narrators talking in cut scenes and pre game intros
- Lots of loading screens. You'll be staring at loading screens with these diagonal white lines (the artistic style) every so often
- Just dabbled with free races using a white Honda Civic. Rotated through random quick races against Drivatar level 3. I win half the races where it's 2 lap races, so I'll up it to level 4 or 5 and bump up the laps. Some tracks are done fast at only 2 laps. I'm not a hardcore racer or anything, but I do turn off braking assist arrows
- Awesome graphics and sound. I chose Performance RT mode. Solid rain effects and the colours seem more earthy like GT games. Not as bright and bloomy like older Forza circuit games

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Got around to playing it.

- Like lots of games (Forza games included), you're treated to a slew of unskippable cut scenes and canned races the first time you play. Dont bother mashing buttons or pressing start/menu buttons. You cant skip them. Although I didn't try quitting the game and rebooting seeing if that helps you go direct to the menu screens to do hat you want on the second try. I just plowed through the canned shit
- Even in the settings, if you adjust Narrator to off, you still get narrators talking in cut scenes and pre game intros
- Lots of loading screens. You'll be staring at loading screens with these diagonal white lines (the artistic style) every so often
- Just dabbled with free races using a white Honda Civic. Rotated through random quick races against Drivatar level 3. I win half the races where it's 2 lap races, so I'll up it to level 4 or 5 and bump up the laps. Some tracks are done fast at only 2 laps. I'm not a hardcore racer or anything, but I do turn off braking assist arrows
- Awesome graphics and sound. I chose Performance RT mode. Solid rain effects and the colours seem more earthy like GT games. Not as bright and bloomy like older Forza circuit games
Get yourself online. Its where its at in this game.

Orbital2060

Um, with the way cars are modified in online races to have about the same performance level, does it matter if a car has a higher PI? Like the car pass Volkswagen for the touring class, which has higher base PI than the other available cars. And what about if you have a lvl 50 car with everything unlocked and installed the way you want it - are these upgrades removed as well? Just wondering in relation to levelling up certain cars for online purposes.

SimTourist

Um, with the way cars are modified in online races to have about the same performance level, does it matter if a car has a higher PI? Like the car pass Volkswagen for the touring class, which has higher base PI than the other available cars. And what about if you have a lvl 50 car with everything unlocked and installed the way you want it - are these upgrades removed as well? Just wondering in relation to levelling up certain cars for online purposes.
Upgrades don't apply in those races and yes the Golf is better than other cars in skillful hands.

Orbital2060

Upgrades don't apply in those races and yes the Golf is better than other cars in skillful hands.
So theres no real need to upgrade cars for online. Thats a bummer, but makes sense of course. Some upgrades are essential to make some cars feel nice to drive, like the Supra and antiroll/chassis upgrades. Was hoping you could upgrade, but then have the PI adjusted for the playing field.

SimTourist

So theres no real need to upgrade cars for online. Thats a bummer, but makes sense of course. Some upgrades are essential to make some cars feel nice to drive, like the Supra and antiroll/chassis upgrades. Was hoping you could upgrade, but then have the PI adjusted for the playing field.
I was talking specifically about the touring class, maybe other categories allow upgrades. Not sure since I've been playing touring exclusively since I prefer close spec racing.

xrnzaaas

I've disabled all voices in the audio tab and even the cutscenes are silent now. This isn't the kind of game where having the engineer's voice in your head is necessary to have better races so disabling the narrators is worth it.

SimTourist

I've disabled all voices in the audio tab and even the cutscenes are silent now. This isn't the kind of game where having the engineer's voice in your head is necessary to have better races so disabling the narrators is worth it.
If only the engineer was as useful as in F1 games.

CeeJay

Loving the stories of your races! Haters are gonna hate the game no matter what but the new arcadey accelerated tyre wear model is sublime and had totally changed the way the game is played for the better, best forza ever. Keep it smooth, be patient and the overtake chances will come to you. Never before have I had to worry about tyre preservation in a racing game before, you could just sloppily screech and wheel spin every corner without a second thought. The new tyre wear model just adds so much depth and strategy, it's genuinely great.

Rossco EZ

the performance of this game is a let down tbh, doesn’t even look that good and fps is all over the place for me. go from like 82-111 fps pretty much all the time and i can’t even see why, DLSS doesn’t seem to do much at all to performance either.

When my driver heads out for a practice why does he peel out cranking the wheel, bang off the limiter and exit the pit like a road raging dipshit complimented by a shaky-cam?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Loving the stories of your races! Haters are gonna hate the game no matter what but the new arcadey accelerated tyre wear model is sublime and had totally changed the way the game is played for the better, best forza ever. Keep it smooth, be patient and the overtake chances will come to you. Never before have I had to worry about tyre preservation in a racing game before, you could just sloppily screech and wheel spin every corner without a second thought. The new tyre wear model just adds so much depth and strategy, it's genuinely great.
This is the first real pick up and play racing game that seems to capture that feeling of battling for position - for me at least.

SimTourist

I think microtransactions will be introduced at some point to support the development otherwise I don't know how they'll be able to provide free tracks for long. Gran Turismo can do it because they have strong boxed sales, in other sims cars and tracks are always paid content.

clarky

Gold Member
I think microtransactions will be introduced at some point to support the development otherwise I don't know how they'll be able to provide free tracks for long. Gran Turismo can do it because they have strong boxed sales, in other sims cars and tracks are always paid content.
They do car packs. Plus if there is a healthy Gamepass player base why would they not support it?

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Depends on what they consider healthy I guess. But then again Halo Infinite is still being supported despite being almost dead playerwise.
Not wanting to go OT but Halo isn't dead , you can get a game in seconds. Don't listen to the voices. But lets not get into that here.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gran Turismo supports it through microtransactions as well.

CeeJay

Done everything SP-reelated in less than a week. Wow the campaign is thin.

I really love the driving with a pad (best in the series by a mile), but as CaRPG game is feeling straight-up unfinished. (MP is not my cup of tea, I have enough stress driving my car IRL.)
Is it that you can't rewind that puts you off MP?

If so then take the stress out of it, don't put in a qualification time, start at the back, drive well within your limits so you are not going off track. Break a lot earlier than the line tells you to, get on the gas later, work on getting your steering and brake inputs smooth (if using a pad try to keep it from vibrating due to wheel spin or locking up the wheels). Work your own race without worrying about the other drivers, don't try to keep up with them. Instead of trying to go fast, go slow and then as you gain confidence through the race push a little on the areas around the track that you think you can without pushing beyond your limits. It's very easy to get into the mindset that you need to be fast but all that will do is push you beyond your limits and you will be off the track. It might sound counter intuitive but get good at going slow and aim for a clean lap above all else. Once you can comfortably keep the car on the track and put in a clean lap without rewind you can work up from there. The game rewards tyre preservation and smooth driving. It can be really satisfying to intentionally start at the back and see how many places you can move forward through the pack. Drive defensively and don't put your car in harms way. If you don't know the concept of defensive driving, Google it. The technique is just as valid on the track as it is on the roads.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I've got enough ramming from the AI, thank you.
I elaborated quite a bit on my post after that initial comment, take a look. Think of it like this, how do some racers consistently get on the podium in MP and generally avoid being rammed whilst others consistently finish at the back? It's not just about fast lap times (although ultimately that's the aim) it's as much about avoiding putting your car in harms way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Completed the first Series set. As always, I appreciate the suite of accessibility options to make the game more enjoyable for the less sim-inclined folks like myself.

And the game is pretty generous with adding multipliers to how much credit you can earn by increasing the drivatar difficulty if you so choose to.

I also like the ability to be able to choose where you want to start on the grid, almost all games always have you start at the dead last all the time, options are good.

That being said, starting from the end, overtaking fools and watching all those 10xp blips pop up for over taking every car on the top right is very satisfying. And to counter what I just said myself, I am now playing with almost the entire HUD off because minimal is good and I want to bask in the games splendid visuals.

ps. I can't enjoy a racing game without a rewind-like feature anymore, my casual ass loves it.

Riky

$MSFT
Completed the first Series set. As always, I appreciate the suite of accessibility options to make the game more enjoyable for the less sim-inclined folks like myself.

And the game is pretty generous with adding multipliers to how much credit you can earn by increasing the drivatar difficulty if you so choose to.

I also like the ability to be able to choose where you want to start on the grid, almost all games always have you start at the dead last all the time, options are good.

That being said, starting from the end, overtaking fools and watching all those 10xp blips pop up for over taking every car on the top right is very satisfying. And to counter what I just said myself, I am now playing with almost the entire HUD off because minimal is good and I want to bask in the games splendid visuals.

ps. I can't enjoy a racing game without a rewind-like feature anymore, my casual ass loves it.

I always start at the back still, seems like a challenge to try and win. I'm avoiding the rewind though as it invalidates your lap time which bothers me😂
The visuals are something else, playing on my LG on performance RT with a 120hz output is real next gen stuff, the RTAO just grounds everything in a way no other racing game I've played comes close.

Mephisto40

Do the race "practices" ever end or is it like this for every race? it's becoming extremely tiresome to have to do these every single time and I'm only on the third championship

Riky

$MSFT
Do the race "practices" ever end or is it like this for every race? it's becoming extremely tiresome to have to do these every single time and I'm only on the third championship
One you've started the practice lap you can press start and skip practice, so I've seen.

Just deleted the game ,it's just not ready for release had 2 progress loses in featured series and now the 3rd builder cup after 4 races yesterday whenever I try to load it it says remote data not available.
Fuck this shit in 2023 this is unacceptable
Bought series X on launch day for this shit
Yes the bugs are built from the ground up.

adamsapple

You can skip practices, it's not mandatory. You just get more credits for doing it. Just press Start when you're in the practice lap and skip.

adamsapple

When the practice lap is so good the game projects you to be #1 even from the last position on the grid.

:messenger_sunglasses:

Lm626Ch.png

MacReady13

Good stuff if we are getting updates fast.

So patch next week. Hopefully.
Fancy spending so many years developing this game to release it with so many bugs and then come out saying we hear the feedback, and we are committed to fixing the game! Why not spend the 6 years polishing the SHIT out of the game instead of releasing a game that appears to be 85-90% complete???

Top Bottom