• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport |OT| Step on the GaaS

GHG

Gold Member
What does ASMR mean? I searched it but found people trying to sleep other people by talking weird :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

It's literally that.

A lot of people really like his voice, if you look in the comments sections of some of the videos there are people saying they watch his videos to help them fall asleep.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
It's literally that.

A lot of people really like his voice, if you look in the comments sections of some of the videos there are people saying they watch his videos to help them fall asleep.
He has a good talkers voice and does a excellent job when he reviews his own races.

Reactions: GHG
I was looking forward to this game but there are some issues that need fixing as it's just dull at the moment.

There is almost always no penalty for ramming someone off the road, I've checked people that have fully taken me out on a straight at the end of the race details.

Fix the black level.

Less than half an hour between races. Just do 3 qualifying laps then the race.

Career just feels pointless and uninspired.

Jorav

Gold Member
Got my refund from Xbox and will pick it up when the bugs have been ironed out. Cannot make any progress with the bugs I'm experiencing which is ruining the experience. It plays well, just needs a lot of polish.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Asking as someone who never got the chance to play any of the FM games before, is this something that's as accessible as Gran Turismo or GRID?

I could never really get into the more hardcore racers that didn't offer too much in the way of casual experience because I always bounce off of all of those elements that don't involve driving, i.e. car tuning, team management etc. Now, keep in mind, I don't mean to turn on all the drive assists and play like it's a Need For Speed game. I have a racing wheel and I enjoy the simulation aspect of those games, but I just don't want to fiddle around in the menus and spend time tuning my cars just to have a chance at winning. I prefer to have all that stuff streamlined as much as possible, like in GT7 or GRID for example.

jayj

Banned
This game has got to be the single biggest disappointment of this generation for me so far. I didn't have high expectations when I heard about the live services and car leveling, but the end result somehow managed to disappoint me even more. I have been buying these games and been a fan of this series since the beginning, always having the VIP and DLC passes, and this is the first time I will refuse to do so. I am just glad they released this on gamepass so I could satisfy my curiosity without having to buy it. Even the graphics are a disappointment, I am not kidding when I say I think Forza 7 looks better.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
So Ive finally got to playing the game. Yeah, Im regretting my Ultimate purchase already. It feels and plays alright but I really dont like the washed out look. Graphics are just fine but whats with all the sluggish 30fps crap between races. Not a fan of the required practise mode either

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
Just booted up GT7 again, man, theres just something about the game that is just classy, that FM does not have. In race graphics and lighting though, I still have to give to FM, as much as I think it could've been better, I do think during races, FM looks better. Garage though, GT7 car models in garage mode are insane.
IMO, GT7 feels like a game that was made by passionate car enthusiasts, while this new Forza Motorsport feels like a game that was made with no passion at all. It honestly just feels like a corporate product, something made by a corporate executive board and people who were hired just to do a job, making a product as directed. Every decision feels like it was calculated for specific goals that were displayed on graphs.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Asking as someone who never got the chance to play any of the FM games before, is this something that's as accessible as Gran Turismo or GRID?

I could never really get into the more hardcore racers that didn't offer too much in the way of casual experience because I always bounce off of all of those elements that don't involve driving, i.e. car tuning, team management etc. Now, keep in mind, I don't mean to turn on all the drive assists and play like it's a Need For Speed game. I have a racing wheel and I enjoy the simulation aspect of those games, but I just don't want to fiddle around in the menus and spend time tuning my cars just to have a chance at winning. I prefer to have all that stuff streamlined as much as possible, like in GT7 or GRID for example.

Dont you have GP? Just try it

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dont you have GP?
fuck-no-robin-williams.gif

Gerdav

IMO, GT7 feels like a game that was made by passionate car enthusiasts, while this new Forza Motorsport feels like a game that was made with no passion at all. It honestly just feels like a corporate product, something made by a corporate executive board and people who were hired just to do a job, making a product as directed. Every decision feels like it was calculated for specific goals that were displayed on graphs.
This is the nail on the head, I have always loved both the Forza Motorsport and GT games and have thousands of hours in each series and have never had any interest in the comparisons and fan boy handbags, but if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose I would always have chosen the Forza Motorsport series of GT, I have been playing it since Thursday and this game feels absolutely soulless and leaves me feeling cold.

I feel the issue is Gamepass, almost every single Microsoft first party game that has been developed since the introduction of GP and day one releases has had the same felt off/soulless and cold feeling to me.

CeeJay

I put a few hours into the game last night and although all the criticism its getting is valid I think that the multiplayer is a much better format than previous FM titles. I mostly play in multiplayer and the single biggest issue has always been other drivers being dirty or just downright spoiling the race for everyone and not even trying to race. The penalty system seems to have really helped clean things up and I am definitely a fan of qualifying as opposed to jus been given a random grid position. Although in principle the practice session seems good it does really slow things down considerably. I had to wait 30 minutes after i'd qualified for a race for the timer to run down. Everyone in the lobby had recorded a qualifying time and the clock still had 15 minutes left. I don't really want to only get 2 races in per hour!

I can fully understand it if it is this format for a really important ranked competition but it's total overkill for general multiplayer races where you just want to get in as many races as possible in the time you have available. I've not played enough races to see whether it is this same format across the board (i only got like 6 mulitplayer races in total during my 4-5 hour session (I had to do the mandatory introductory Builders Cup which took ages). I have no cars yet so have very little choice for the multiplayer hoppers which will widen as I get some credits and can buy cars in each of the classes I want to race.

I quite like the new format of drip feeding the cars which I know a lot of people have criticised but, this is not Horizon and FM has always been about getting to know a few cars really well and experimenting with different setups to find the sweetspot. I personally don't mind grinding up through the lower classes for my favourite Ferrari F40, Lambo Huracan, BAC Mono and 1970s F1 cars. I am really liking the fuel and tyre selection although I always feel like i'm fighting with the menu to set these for practice and qualifying. I like how you can take risks with the fuel and tyre strategies even if that means that you run out of fuel or are racing on worn out tyres before the end of the race trying to get the lap times as fast as possible, i'm responsible enough to have control of those things and totally fuck my own race up! Racing on soft tyres and low fuel mean that it really does make a difference if you can be really precise and clean through the corners with no sliding and wheel spinning.

Hopefully T10 take some of the criticism on regarding the race session lengths. have a full race weekend style for the top ranked championships but also have some more casual hoppers where you just go straight into the race (maybe use the previous race standings to denote grid position for the next) along with some in the middle ground where you go straight into qualifying and don't get a practice.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Can't you do a ninja a solid and answer my original question instead?
It would have to be one of, if not the most accessible racing games available.

The amount of assists and options for various impairments is vast.

Tried Formula Mazda for the first time this evening, get Hakone Club Reverse. people where braking hard for the back straight chicane.... Got bumped down to B safety rating because idiots would stop for a corner you don't even lift for. Oh well, working back up to S safety rating is gonna be fun.

Last edited:

DanielG165

I don’t know what they did to the cars with DCTs here, but something is definitely off. I was driving a Z06 at Spa, and the car was shifting as though it had a single clutch, or a full on manual… Despite it having an 8 speed dual clutch. And, every car with a DCT is like this, yet Horizon 5 has said transmissions performing an “acting” how they should. Snappy and lightning quick on the downshifts and upshifts. But then you have the Aventador SVJ, a car that DOES have a single clutch, shifting like a DCT. It’s weird.

Also, something just very small but annoying as a Camaro fan: they have the gall to put the ZL1 1LE in A class in this game, despite it being an S1 class vehicle at least. I was personally so disappointed lol, not really, but I did feel a twinge of annoyance when I saw that. Doesn’t help that this track focused, stiff car with sticky tires and a stiff suspension and chassis has visible body roll, and overall drives… Not great.

Honestly, with the performance being how it is on PC, even with the latest driver update, if PG adds the C8 Z06 into Horizon 5, I may just stick to that and play ACC and Project Cars for my sim fixes. At least until FM receives some more work, in which I would still very much be playing ACC because that game is absolutely brilliant, but that’s neither here nor there.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

It is super accessible - you can really just jump in and drive. It feels the closest to driving a car that I can remember - a lot of full on sims you need a really high quality wheel or you just don't get the feedback you need and it seems like you lost control without warning.
It is so accessible that I read a review that actually made me choke up from a guy with Spinal Muscular Atrophy who could play the game even though he has a hard time manipulating a controller for long periods.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I redownloaded the game to fix my issues with shader recompilation on every boot up, and insanely slow loading times, and it didnt fix anything. i did a verify and repair. nothing. Takes a minute to load tracks. Takes 15 minutes to go back to menus after a race. I have a 7.5 GBps ssd. Shader compilation also takes 10-15 minutes. I thought alex said it took him a couple of minutes max.

I did give up on RT. 1440p even with DLAA looks a bit too blurry. I prefer the pristine look of 4k DLAA with no RT. Its the first time ive tried DLAA so im surprised that my 3080 can do it at all. Not a big performance hit either. I thought at 4k it was downsampling from a higher resolution or something but the gpu hit was minimal.

Overall, I am enjoying the racing but im not impressed with the visuals. I need to go back and try other games but while they look good, I have yet to be wow'd. Even races in the rain which have the game looking at its best didnt wow me. Starfield has much higher highs. A lot of the tracks are too basic and boring to really stand out. They shouldve made more fictional tracks. All that extra trackside detail is pretty much wasted in these real-life tracks.

A lot of early races take place during day time on boring real life circuits and the game doesnt exactly make a great first impression. There were some races in the fog in dusk setting which looked really good. One race under cloudy conditions on Maple Valley looked great too. They shouldve spent more time making these early races have more of an impact visually. My experience so far does not match up with the gifs ive seen so far floating around the webs. Need to go back and try other racers to see if I am misremembering how they looked.

Senua

Gold Member
I redownloaded the game to fix my issues with shader recompilation on every boot up, and insanely slow loading times, and it didnt fix anything. i did a verify and repair. nothing. Takes a minute to load tracks. Takes 15 minutes to go back to menus after a race. I have a 7.5 GBps ssd. Shader compilation also takes 10-15 minutes. I thought alex said it took him a couple of minutes max.

I did give up on RT. 1440p even with DLAA looks a bit too blurry. I prefer the pristine look of 4k DLAA with no RT. Its the first time ive tried DLAA so im surprised that my 3080 can do it at all. Not a big performance hit either. I thought at 4k it was downsampling from a higher resolution or something but the gpu hit was minimal.

Overall, I am enjoying the racing but im not impressed with the visuals. I need to go back and try other games but while they look good, I have yet to be wow'd. Even races in the rain which have the game looking at its best didnt wow me. Starfield has much higher highs. A lot of the tracks are too basic and boring to really stand out. They shouldve made more fictional tracks. All that extra trackside detail is pretty much wasted in these real-life tracks.

A lot of early races take place during day time on boring real life circuits and the game doesnt exactly make a great first impression. There were some races in the fog in dusk setting which looked really good. One race under cloudy conditions on Maple Valley looked great too. They shouldve spent more time making these early races have more of an impact visually. My experience so far does not match up with the gifs ive seen so far floating around the webs. Need to go back and try other racers to see if I am misremembering how they looked.
I swear something is fucked with the DLAA/DLSS in this game, I barely get any perfomrnace hit over native (with TAA) with DLAA and I barely get any performance gain with DLSS. It's not been like that in any other game I've tried

Also DLAA doesn't clean the image up nearly as good as other games. Baldurs gate 3 had incredible IQ at 1440p with DLAA..Forza there is still aliasing and blurring all over the shop

Last edited:

Danknugz

don't understand all the hate for this game, took a while to grow on me and now after playing for a while it clicked with me.

i appreciate MS taking the time and effort that they did to build this from the ground up because you know they knew people would be whining and crying because it isn't all eye candy, sunshine and rainbows. it's a gritty racer focused on physics, handling and car feel and feels way more realistic than any other racer i've played. it's so realistic, the vibe i get playing it isn't that much different from VR racing. i guess you just need to have driven real cars to appreciate it. (as in know to drive stick shift). for example, for once i actually feel using manual with clutch can give you can advantage if you rev match good. the triggers give an insane amount of feedback for braking and tire grip.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
don't understand all the hate for this game, took a while to grow on me and now after playing for a while it clicked with me.

i appreciate MS taking the time and effort that they did to build this from the ground up because you know they knew people would be whining and crying because it isn't all eye candy, sunshine and rainbows. it's a gritty racer focused on physics, handling and car feel and feels way more realistic than any other racer i've played. it's so realistic, the vibe i get playing it isn't that much different from VR racing. i guess you just need to have driven real cars to appreciate it. (as in know to drive stick shift). for once i actually feel using manual with clutch can give you can advantage if you rev match good.

I agree that the cars handle very well and the core gameplay is satisfying, it's easily the best feeling driving sim on a gamepad. It's not as realistic as the PC sims but it was never going to be with 500+ cars and them catering more to gamepad users than wheel users. Also please don't use the bullshit marketing line "from the ground up" because it's clearly bollocks, and we knew it from the start.

Danknugz

It would have to be one of, if not the most accessible racing games available.

The amount of assists and options for various impairments is vast.

Tried Formula Mazda for the first time this evening, get Hakone Club Reverse. people where braking hard for the back straight chicane.... Got bumped down to B safety rating because idiots would stop for a corner you don't even lift for. Oh well, working back up to S safety rating is gonna be fun.
love the safety ratings and penalties and it seems more or less a great solution to people ramming. unfortunately it's happened to me a few times where i was penalized 2-4 seconds for something some other asshole did.

Danknugz

I agree that the cars handle very well and the core gameplay is satisfying, it's easily the best feeling driving sim on a gamepad. It's not as realistic as the PC sims but it was never going to be with 500+ cars and them catering more to gamepad users than wheel users. Also please don't use the bullshit marketing line "from the ground up" because it's clearly bollocks, and we knew it from the start.
maybe i'm just disillusioned , but i take every MS release, forza or not, very skeptically and it takes a lot to win me over. i honestly feel that i can see the benefits and i personally do believe them when they say from the ground up, at least from a physics and handling perspective. maybe not the cars and eye candy.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
maybe i'm just disillusioned , but i take every MS release, forza or not, very skeptically and it takes a lot to win me over. i honestly feel that i can see the benefits and i personally do believe them when they say from the ground up, at least from a physics and handling perspective. maybe not the cars and eye candy.

Physics are good but not built from the ground up. You can duplicate the same glitches that were present in previous games.

Plus reusing assets first introduced in 360 era also doesn’t fit the from the ground up definition…

Danknugz

i haven't set my wheel up but I am almost liking the controller so much I don't really feel like I need to. Are there any pedals or wheels that can give car feedback like MS has done with the triggers? Apart from the obvious physical wheel, feels like those would actually give less feedback to the driver at this point, unless you can have haptic feedback through the pedals and wheels, especially the brakes.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It is super accessible - you can really just jump in and drive. It feels the closest to driving a car that I can remember - a lot of full on sims you need a really high quality wheel or you just don't get the feedback you need and it seems like you lost control without warning.
It is so accessible that I read a review that actually made me choke up from a guy with Spinal Muscular Atrophy who could play the game even though he has a hard time manipulating a controller for long periods.
Nice, in that case, I'll keep my eye on it. I keep seeing that it has optimization issues on PC so this is enough for me to put it in the backlog for now and wait until others finish playtesting it.

clarky

Gold Member
This is absolutely not built from the "ground up". Maybe from the knee caps up.

My guess is what ever build they were working got abandoned and this has been hastily put together in a couple of years. The new handling model has been transplanted into the old engine and thats it. Some of the old exploits and bugs can still be replicated.

From the "ground up" this most certainly is not.

Still a good time online mind.

Danknugz

This is absolutely not built from the "ground up". Maybe from the knee caps up.

My guess is what ever build they were working got abandoned and this has been hastily put together in a couple of years. The new handling model has been transplanted into the old engine and thats it. Some of the old exploits and bugs can still be replicated.

From the "ground up" this most certainly is not.

Still a good time online mind.
did you work on it?

Danknugz

Did you see the bit where i said "my guess"?

I've put around 30 hours into it this last week, think im fairly qualified to take a stab at what went wrong. Cheers.
fair enough, i didn't work on it either. my comment was probably mis placed. it was more how i tend to see a lot of people comment on things like this as if they're devs or worked on the game, you didn't really comment that way however. i try to qualify my statements with stuff like "maybe i'm wrong"

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
fair enough, i didn't work on it either. my comment was probably mis placed. it was more how i tend to see a lot of people comment on things like this as if they're devs or worked on the game, you didn't really however. i try to qualify my statements with stuff like "maybe i'm wrong"
All good mate. Don't get me wrong I like the game. It just could have been so much better. The bones are there just not a lot of meat. Its frustrating.

Is there a way to skip the fucking tutorials? I want to race but every time that stupid tutorial with the woman voice-over comes up and I have to wait long minutes to play. Bad game design is everywhere in this shit. Feels like playing a mobile game.

Another thing: difficulty is all over the place. The races are disputed between me, in 2nd, and a super sayan in 1st. Looks like all the cars are dumb, except the 1st.

You set a difficult that will make a challenge but only the 1st place puts a challenge.

And looks like penalties are only applicable to me, as there's never time penalties to AI cars in the final scoreboard, even though the AI controlled car did a 5 second off-road show.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Unskippable intros, cutscenes and explanations are so annoying. It's not my first Forza nor racing game and yet the game treats me like it's my first game ever. An option right at the start would have been nice if I'm new to the series, new to racing games in general or if I'm a veteran.
Is there a way to skip the fucking tutorials? I want to race but every time that stupid tutorial with the woman voice-over comes up and I have to wait long minutes to play. Bad game design is everywhere in this shit. Feels like playing a mobile game.
lol it drove me nuts. but she goes away after the first few races. The devs need to know this is Forza Motorsport 8. Not FM1.

clarky

Gold Member
So don't buy it off your not happy with the amount of content. I am perfectly happy with the content I got included in my gamepass sub, best multiplayer Forza has ever had.
Im happy that your happy with mediocrity. Objectively the most lacking Forza launch of them all.

Multiplayer is excellent, absolutely saves the package from being a total disaster. I'm also a PC gamepass subscriber btw, doesn't mean i have to be happy with a lackluster product. Demand better.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
lol it drove me nuts. but she goes away after the first few races. The devs need to know this is Forza Motorsport 8. Not FM1.

It would be such an easy fix. They know if you've played previous Forza games, they have your Gamertag all the history. Just give us options to "skip tutorials", for fucks sake.

Anyway, this game in its current state deserves 6, maybe 5 out of 10 but damn it's the best 5/10 game I've played in a long time. Racing is so good.

Zuzu

I would love to see them add rallying to the game one day in the future. Rallying with this physics and handling would sweet

Top Bottom